How many goals for Ovechkin this season?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ReimanSum1908

Feb 23, 2012
Montreal
He will be entering his age 38 season. How many goals do you predict for him this season?

Most goals age 38 season:

1. Brett Hull - 37
2. Johnny Bucyk - 31
3. Martin St. Louis - 30
4. Joe Pavelski - 28
I hope that he cracks 40 and sets a new record, because if anyone in the league's history deserves it, Ovy is the man.

lol whoops but yea I think Ovy has one more great season and hits 55 goals.
I've heard Ovy going by "the great eight" which I always held to be a ridiculous and forced nickname, but that was probably in the back of your mind.

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019

His time as a 50-goal scorer is definitely over, IMO. And I doubt he will even hit 40 in a season ever again.

But hitting more than 30 this season is very much within reach and would still be a remarkable achievement at his age, especially considering the roster surrouding him.

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
As was noted, Gordie Howe scored 44 goals at age 40, but that was mainly due to mass expansion shortly before. Still very impressive, though.

The Caps' 20th-place finish in offense last season was their lowest placing since 2006 (though 2011 was close, at 19th). I don't follow the Caps enough to know how good / bad they are, but I think if they're depending on Dylan Strome to be their top center, then they're in for a tough season offensively. And a team struggling to win gets few empty-net opportunities (for Ovi to score).

Still, there's the PP. The Caps maintained a more-or-less League-average PP last season, so if they can do that again, Ovi will get his goals. If he can manage around 14-15 PP goals next season, then even a decline at ES from, say, 28 to 20, would still give him about 35 goals on the season.

I say, around 35.
I’m not sure about the team struggling for wins getting empty opportunities. There is a fair amount of parity in the league, even the bad teams aren’t horrible. The best teams likely won’t have as many opportunities because they’ll be winning by enough not to have the other team pull the goalie. For a team that struggles for wins, you’d think every win is going to be a 1 goal win. I mean…he had a ton of empty net goals last year and they weren’t good

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I say he rebounds in typical ovechkin fashion and scores 45-50 goals

As optimistic as I am I dont thinj he comepetes for the Rocket, but it would also not be a shock if he did

Klargplutte

Sep 15, 2012
These Ovie threads always leads to one thing, he burns the doubters by roaring back. Healthy Bäckström and Kuzy with a bounce back year will help him past 50+ goals.

Reactions: Stan Galiev

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
If the Caps are a healthy team this year which they werent last year, they make the playoffs and that alone should be an additional motivator outside of the goal record.

I think he has another 40+ goal season in him.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
This is a complete aside, but semi-relevant to the topic. It's impressive that Bret Hull managed 37 goals at age 38 in very a low scoring 2002-03 season. Granted, Detroit itself was not a low scoring team by any means (they scored 14 more goals on the season than than the 2022-23 Capitals for instance), but of course, Hull himself was a big part of that. He was still playing the third most Forward minutes on a contending team (110 points).

Dare I say, he's almost become underrated through the passage of time.
There was also a huge difference in usage and philosophy for Hull and the Red Wings as Hull was on the ice for 40 of Detroit's 76 PPG.

Washington has had a predictable and middle of the pack PP the last 2 years at some point they will realize that they need better distribution.

Detroit was a similarly older team but way better constructed but ran into a hot goalie in the first round.

Last edited:

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
There was also a hug difference in usage and philosophy for Hhull and the Red Wings as Hull was on the ice for 40 of Detroit's 76 PPG.

Washington has had a predictable and middle of the pack PP the last 2 years at some point they will realize that they need better distribution.

Detroit was a similarly older team but way better constructed but ran into a hot goalie in the first round.
Better distribution how?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad