How devastating is it losing a game 7 for the Stanley Cup?

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
I'm not even sulking as an oilers fan. How is this for canucks fan? This joker Luongo parading like he won it, with the Panthers, not the canucks. Maybe the sedins should have joined the Panthers front office. I can't imagine what Kevin Bieksa is thinking when he saw that.

View attachment 886855
It's great, especially after seeing Crysaitl and McBaby with swollen red eyes post-game. :popcorn: Sadly the refs couldn't carry them to a cup win

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Last night was a tough one. These games are so stressful and so entertaining.

Its possible that I never see either Montreal or Edmonton win a cup in my life, so yeah yesterday was disappointing.

But win or lose these guys are going back to their charmed life with the sportscars, private golf clubs and mansions and we're all going back to our 9-5s so I try not to take it too seriously.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Last night was a tough one. These games are so stressful and so entertaining.

Its possible that I never see either Montreal or Edmonton win a cup in my life, so yeah yesterday was disappointing.

But win or lose these guys are going back to their charmed life with the sportscars, private golf clubs and mansions and we're all going back to our 9-5s so I try not to take it too seriously.
Love this take - said this exact thing to my wife last night. Similar to the movie Fever Pitch, if you have seen it.

Why do we put ourselves through the wringer yet these multi millionaires will be out at their summer house in a few days, sipping Corona's and taking their yachts for a spin. Not life or death by any means.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
I'm not even sulking as an oilers fan. How is this for canucks fan? This joker Luongo parading like he won it, with the Panthers, not the canucks. Maybe the sedins should have joined the Panthers front office. I can't imagine what Kevin Bieksa is thinking when he saw that.

View attachment 886855

Luongo works in the front office, it's not like they wheeled out someone who retired and then moved to Sweden.

He also didn't "parade", he lifted it for like 5 seconds. Luongo said that the Canucks gang all messaged him positively wishing him good luck.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
2003 was absolutely gut wrenching at the time. Horrible feeling. As years go by though you mainly just look back with fond memories of the emotional rollercoaster you went on that playoffs and only remember the best moments.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
2003 was absolutely gut wrenching at the time. Horrible feeling. As years go by though you mainly just look back with fond memories of the emotional rollercoaster you went on that playoffs and only remember the best moments.
Lets hope

Edit: derped.

Poulin 0n My St1ck

Oct 18, 2010
The ECF game 7 loss is the only time I’ve been angry at a hockey game. I imagine a cup one is worse.

Three years later, and that game still haunts me. There were a lot of special moments during that run - I thought that it was our year.

I think we would’ve beaten Montreal in the SCF.

It would’ve hurt less if we got blown out in Game 7.

Reactions: MikeyMike01

Kirikanoir

Dec 16, 2010
Losing Game 7 in any round sucks. Given how difficult it is to make the final, as well as how infrequently most teams reach a final, it just magnifies the pain of falling short. It's like reading a good but hard to find book, and then when you reach the end you find out the last chapter is missing.

As a fan I speak from experience having seen my team lose game 7 in two of their 3 final appearances.
In 1994 it was heart break and sadness. In 2011 it was depression and a empty feeling. 2011 felt like a real gut punch, since that season it felt like we had done everything needed to win that year and yet still the same result in the end.

Tough losses like 2011 leave you struggling to keep trust and faith in the team no matter how well things are going since your always waiting for that other shoe to drop, and for them to find some way to blow it.

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
Only because you guys won not that long after

Kirikanoir

Dec 16, 2010
Exactly, had Vancouver won a few seasons later 2011 would be nothing but a forgotten nightmare. As a seahawk fan losing in 2005 was tough because of the way it when down. (Refs giving the game to Pittsburgh) 2013 winning over Denver made thar painfull moment from 2005 easier afterwards.

Winning cures a lot of things.

Reactions: Bgav

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone

It's funny, I think if Ottawa beats NJ the Ducks might we'll have won that year as the Devils were an awful matchup for them. But then they would not have been in position to draft Getzlaf and Perry, Kariya never leaves, Niedermayer is never signed, and the Ducks never have those contending years .. And maybe Ottawa wins in 07?

Rick Rocket

Regetstred User
May 22, 2008

View attachment 886855
You are absolutely sulking as an oilers fan.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ

View attachment 886855

You know he works for the team, works with the goalies, and was also a former Panthers star? Going by your amazing take, I guess Zito and Maurice shouldn’t have lifted the Cup either.

Avs2022

Jan 4, 2011
Not the finals, but I've seen the Avalanche lose three game 7's in OT. They still haunt me. To lose a game 7 in the finals knowing you were 1 game away must haunt all players, unless they actually win a cup later. Maybe ridding the mind of those memories.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
At the end of the day, hockey is just entertainment. I personally have never understood the emotional attachment to seeing a team you follow win or lose.

They win? cool, they lose? cool.

Watching others you have no physical or emotional attachment to play for a prize just doesn’t have the same affect as watching someone you know.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Three days after coming off a Game 7 SCF loss and it isn't as bad as I thought it'd be... I consider myself a pretty big Oilers fan but I felt the same level of 'disappointment' with this loss as with the Vegas 2nd round loss last year. At the end of the day, it's not any of us playing and none of us fans get a ring out of it

The city got 2 months of partying which was great

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad