How Close in Talent Will Team USA be to Team Canada at Next International Meeting With NHLERS?

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Hell, any team can win in the World Cup. Canada, USA, Sweden, Finland and Russia all have rosters that can win any night. It`s all about the chemistry for the top teams. Canada and USA have the edge on offense, Finland has the edge on defensive forwards and Sweden on defence.

FIN:
Laine-Barkov-Rantanen
Teräväinen-Aho-Hintz
Granlund-Haula-Armia
Filppula-Koivu-Kakko

SWE (I know I havent got their spots right):
Nylander-Zibanejad-Olofsson
Lindholm-Pettersson-Karlsson
Forsberg-Bäckström-Nyqvist
Burakovsky-Söderberg-Rakell

CAN:
Marchand-McDavid-MacKinnon
Marner-Crosby-Huberdeau
Stone-Scheifele-Seguin
ROR-Bergeron-Point

Just too many C:s and options for Canada...

USA:
Kane - Eichel - Guentzel
Gaudreau - Matthews - Connor
Pacioretty - Wheeler - Miller
Boeser - Toews -Tkachuk

I feel USA has a much weaker forward-core than I expected.

Russia:
Panarin - Kuznetsov - Ovetchkin
Svechnikov - Malkin - Kucherov
Tarasenko - (KHL) - Dadonov
Radulov - ( KHL ) - Gusev

In forwards:

Canada and Russia are IMO above the rest.

Lol at your US Team. Toews is Canadian and Wheeler
is a RW. You missed Larkin, Kreider, Nelson, Lee and Tkachuk.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
2022, Lafrenière would probably be there?

I doubt it, he would be in the middle of his second pro season.

Now Doughty made the Olympics in his second season (2nd in Norris voting) so if he is an instant star like DD and like how McDavid was, then theres a possibility.

But TC typically likes players to bide their time and have multiple seasons under their belt before they get the call. Not like there is a shortage of players, although he is a LW so that could come in handy.

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
Team USA in WC 1996 had Hull, Chelios, Tkachuk, Modano, Leetch, LaFontaine, LeClair, AMonte, Guerin, Housley, Weight etc. Are you telling me team USA today can field a more talented team than that? In my opinion the gap between Canada and USA has increased. Team USA faced Canada FOUR times that tournament and won THREE times, once in the group stage and twice in the finals. "Doesn't always win" my ***.

I'm telling you that the USA can absolutely field a team today that is far superior to their 1996 team. They currently have more star power and more depth at every position than they did in 1996. They had guys like Scott Young, Adam Deadmarsh, Steve Konawalchuk, Bryan Smolinski, Shawn Chambers, Joel Otto and others on that team who wouldn't get a sniff today even if they were in their prime.

Reactions: Rob

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I'm telling you that the USA can absolutely field a team today that is far superior to their 1996 team. They currently have more star power and more depth at every position than they did in 1996. They had guys like Scott Young, Adam Deadmarsh, Steve Konawalchuk, Bryan Smolinski, Shawn Chambers, Joel Otto and others on that team who wouldn't get a sniff today even if they were in their prime.

Joel Otto filled an important role as did some of those others. Scott Young scored 40 goals one year and
played D in the 1988 Olympics.

Refuse

Sin City Soldiers
Aug 23, 2005
I'm telling you that the USA can absolutely field a team today that is far superior to their 1996 team. They currently have more star power and more depth at every position than they did in 1996.
What are you even talking about? More star power? I just listed part of a roster containing 6 Hall of Famers. Six. That means two thirds of total american HoF inductees through history played for that team. Are you saying that right now, there are at least 6 US-born future Hall of famers in the League?

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
What are you even talking about? More star power? I just listed part of a roster containing 6 Hall of Famers. Six. That means two thirds of total american HoF inductees through history played for that team. Are you saying that right now, there are at least 6 US-born future Hall of famers in the League?

Probably yes. Maybe even more. You do realize that there are probably triple the number of Americans in the NHL today than there were in 1996.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
As a Wings/Larkin fan... no, I really doubt that. He’s actually worse than he was last season

I live now in Metro Detroit. I have watched a ton of Larkin since his arrival. He had a great year last year.
Got hurt in TC, guarantee that injury is responsible
for this years play. Leaders like Larkin don't regress
unless there are physical issues. He'll bounce back
next year.

MetM

Nov 29, 2009
Would guess because Huberdeau is better offensively thus was placed on an offensive line and Bergeron is better defensively and thus placed on a defensive line.

0.80 ppg vs 0.82 ppg is not much better, Bergeron is just on another level overall plus I wouln't break that line.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Again, I think you're misunderstanding the point of the thread.

No, I'm not. My push back is to what a majority of Canadian fans are doing.

1) Underestimating what Eichel, Matthews and especially
Larkin will be by February 2022.

2) Over estimating the depth of their talent especially in
regards to goaltending and defense corp.

I already replied to Newby and his contention, max
3-4 US players make a combined team.

I replied to 2 other Canadian Red Wing fans regarding
Larkin. Shocked to put it mildly that they devalue
him so significantly. At 23 he put up over 70 points playing a solid 200 ft game on a weak team.

My prediction is by 2022 he is absolutely as impactful
as Tavares, Stamkos and Seguin. We don't know what
happens with Crosby coming back. Its reasonably possible US
fans will be arguing Crosby couldn't crack our
top 3 C...lol.

Last edited:

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
This is a legitimate topic but you know before the first reply is posted what it will turn into.

Yeah, I get that. However when you see 3-4 posters
categorically state Eichel has zero shot at holding down
a center position when Crosby has an issue, its really
mind boggling.

I listed a combined team that gives Canada
basically 2/3 of the spots on a combined team
which is roughly the % of a Canadian/ US
N American pool.

They react like I called their first born ugly...lol.

US is now in a position where outside of the top 3
centers, you can debate the make up of 30-35% of the
rest of the team.

Which means the US B Team is pretty good also.
Guys like Saad, Kreider, Lee, Krug, McAvoy, Trouba
Schmaltz, Kessel, DeBrincat, Quick very easily could find themselves on a B Team.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
USA is doing better, but they still have a ways to go in order to catch Canada, especially up front. Basically we are talking about in 2022 whether or not Stamkos, Toews, Seguin, Scheifele among others can crack the team. These are the potential cast aways, if that tells you anything.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Yeah, I get that. However when you see 3-4 posters
categorically state Eichel has zero shot at holding down
a center position when Crosby has an issue, its really
mind boggling.

I listed a combined team that gives Canada
basically 2/3 of the spots on a combined team
which is roughly the % of a Canadian/ US
N American pool.

They react like I called their first born ugly...lol.

US is now in a position where outside of the top 3
centers, you can debate the make up of 30-35% of the
rest of the team.

Which means the US B Team is pretty good also.
Guys like Saad, Kreider, Lee, Krug, McAvoy, Trouba
Schmaltz, Kessel, DeBrincat, Quick very easily could find themselves on a B Team.
I understand. It's too bad it has to get into a pissing match, but of course it's one of the H bombs on hfboards.

Just make the topic and post it and.........................boom!!

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
USA is doing better, but they still have a ways to go in order to catch Canada, especially up front. Basically we are talking about in 2022 whether or not Stamkos, Toews, Seguin, Scheifele among others can crack the team. These are the potential cast aways, if that tells you anything.

I am in my mid 60's. I can literally remember when
Tommy Williams was the only US player in the NHL
one year in the 1960's.

Honestly the only player in that list I see not making
Team Canada is Seguin. I assume he has injury issues
this year but it appears this will be his 4th straight
season under a ppg. which for a strictly offensive player
makes him more than likely to lose a spot to the
other 3 you mentioned.

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
I'd say the Big 5, in 2022, could all send phenomenal teams. You could play that tournament 5 different times and get 5 different winners. I wouldn't call anyone in big 5 winning Gold at the next Olympics an 'upset'. Biggest factors for the Gold would be luck, less injuries than opponents and clutch play.

Reactions: Lambo and jj cale

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019

The US in the last 2 MR games against Canada lost
by a goal in each game. IMO the talent differential
now is less than it was in 2014.

The US has enough good NHL quality players they
may look at going with players that have familiarity
at the NHL level. Possibilities like these:

1) A PP with Carlson and Oshie on it.

2) Even strength a unit with Jones, Werenski and Atkinson together. Hell put Kreider with Atkinson as they played at least one year together on the same line at BC.

3) Anders Lee and Brock Nelson as 2/3 of a 4th line
wouldn't be horrible by any means.

4) A line of DeBrincat Schmaltz and Kane has possibilities. They were all on the same team
together.

Seth Jones, John Gibson, and Gaudreau
were all part of the 2013 WJC team which
won Gold in a true best on best Jr Tourney.

Would have been fun to see a best on best
in the 2016 and 2017 WJC.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I'd say the Big 5, in 2022, could all send phenomenal teams. You could play that tournament 5 different times and get 5 different winners. I wouldn't call anyone in big 5 winning Gold at the next Olympics an 'upset'. Biggest factors for the Gold would be luck, less injuries than opponents and clutch play.

It certainly isn't a case of its Canada's to lose.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Pretty much. Canada gets a slight edge due to overall star talent on paper and historical success but their edge is razor thin at this point.

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
Pretty much. Canada gets a slight edge due to overall star talent on paper and historical success but their edge is razor thin at this point.
For me.. the biggest edge Canada has is 'clutch'. They seem to have so many 3rd period comebacks in games they look like they're out of.. it's uncanny. I think they did it one of the Junior A/U17 challenges recently. Did at U20 last week. I"m sure every country has a great story of scoring late and winning but Canada, at least it feels like, does it a lot. If my team had a 2 goal lead late in the third I wouldn't feel comfortable at all and would probably need to leave the room.lol

I often wonder if that goes back to the deeper talent pool. Eg. how on earth do you rise up and crack the Top 6 for Canada? You have to be better than everyone from the age of 5. Probably the biggest difference between a great hockey player and an elite one is more mental than physical.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad