How attractive is Ottawa?

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Did you know Ottawa gets more ticks per capita than Toronto and Montreal?

**** this city man, **** this city!!!

I hear those ticks are starting to hang out under the mackenzie king bridge and stab people to death for no good reason.

Watch out, its dangerous there

torlev*

Meh, the numbers average out. The people who are murdered in this city, and most others are almost always involved in drugs or other kinds of crime.

Well, first, no, the numbers do not average out.

But your second statement, yes, as I've said many times, it isn't an issue in neighbourhoods of $5M+ homes, in any city. Which, while you may mock me in saying these things (ironically, it wasn't raised by me initially) you've essentially agreed with me that those claiming Ottawa is safer, and that being some sort of draw to the city, are a) wrong, b) the point they are making is irrelevant anyway.

So I suggest you bring it up to the likes of the fools that tried to raise that point.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

But your second statement, yes, as I've said many times, it isn't an issue in neighbourhoods of $5M+ homes, in any city. Which, while you may mock me in saying these things (ironically, it wasn't raised by me initially) you've essentially agreed with me that those claiming Ottawa is safer, and that being some sort of draw to the city, are a) wrong, b) the point they are making is irrelevant anyway.

So I suggest you bring it up to the likes of the fools that tried to raise that point.

Just don't go for a walk along the canal, you might get stabbed!

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
You could. In fact, your chances are higher than if you were to walk around Toronto or Vancouver. But not Winnipeg.

splitting hairs!

im curious where the chart is on which day of the week somebody is more than likely to get stabbed on. Best to let us know so we can stay indoors on Tuesdays if need be.

sexytime

Apr 17, 2009
Ottawa
Here's a fun fact, a lot of people think their hometown sucks compared to the places they visit. Why? Because when you spend a isolated amount of time in a place, you get to see the best of what the city offers and it appears shiny and new to you. Case in point, I was in Dublin. I thought the city was the greatest thing since sliced bread. All the locals I met couldn't believe that I CHOSE to visit Dublin because they found it boring and dull. It's classic "grass is greener" syndrome.

Don't act like you have ANY idea what players want from a city, because you don't. At all.

I was born in a different country, lived in montreal for a several years, than Ottawa, than the Caribbean and now Central America. I think I come from a pretty decent viewpoint. Obviously everyone has their taste, but maybe Ottawa doesn't suck, but perhaps less desirable than most places. Feel better?

BTW, I'm a player, so I know what player's want.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013

Time to eat some crow Torlev.
According to the Stats Can " Violent Crime Severity Index" for the years 2009 to 2012 Ottawa was a much safer place to live than all the other NHL cities in Canada for each of those 4 years!!!!
In addition its crime rates were well below the national average.
Who's the fool now????

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
I was born in a different country, lived in montreal for a several years, than Ottawa, than the Caribbean and now Central America. I think I come from a pretty decent viewpoint. Obviously everyone has their taste, but maybe Ottawa doesn't suck, but perhaps less desirable than most places. Feel better?

BTW, I'm a player, so I know what player's want.

Are you married with a family??? Because most ex players don't move to Central America to raise their kids.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
This thread gets more hilarious every time I read it. I must say Bravo to the Ottawa bashers in here. For a while I actually thought you were serious.

It's amazing a troll thread even managed to last 11 pages without being locked down.

What's funny is that most of the posters on here speculating why "rich hockey players" would hate Ottawa don't own their own home or have ever made significant money. They have no clue what " rich people" want. Some would love Ottawa and some would hate it. Like every place else.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
For the most part, I think people are spot-on about how Ottawa does not have as many services designed for luxury consumption as other cities, even other cities in the same size range. This is a big drawback when you're young and rich.

That said, I wouldn't underestimate the value of living in a city where the average Joe does better. According to this article, Ottawa has the second-lowest proportion of low-income citizens (behind only boomtown Calgary). And, while there's room for improvement, Ottawa has a pretty good record for treating its least fortunate. This is a pretty important consideration. It's not actually all that desirable to have to live in a gated community or an isolated suburb because the downtown in the metro area is ravaged with crime and poverty (hello, Detroit and St. Louis!). Also, being very wealthy in a highly unequal society is an exercise in cognitive dissonance where you constantly have to rationalize your own wealth in the face of the abject poverty of others.

I'm not sure how much that consideration plays out in reality - I think services for luxury consumption are still probably more important at the end of the day - but it's something I would think about, all else equal.

Have you ever been to St. Louis? I live there and you have to go well out of your way to be exposed to what you're inferring.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
What's funny is that most of the posters on here speculating why "rich hockey players" would hate Ottawa don't own their own home or have ever made significant money. They have no clue what " rich people" want. Some would love Ottawa and some would hate it. Like every place else.

Exactly.

I'm amazed when I hear young people talk about money. They have no clue what the costs of home ownership are and how much it costs just to live a middle class lifestyle. All they see is the nice homes and cars their parents have but have no clue of the massive debt included in that package.

Most hockey players don't have anywhere near the income to be part of the traditional elite or jet set.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005

The real question is why you , a Canucks fan who doesn't really seem to know anything at all about Ottawa,have inserted yourself into the discussion.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada

The real question is why you , a Canucks fan who doesn't really seem to know anything at all about Ottawa,have inserted yourself into the discussion.

It's to make him feel better when no free agent wants to sign with that now wasteland of a hockey team this summer. Because the Canucks are terrible.

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
Exactly. I went to college in Toronto, so I spent years there when I was in the prime years of my partying lifestyle. And I lived that **** hard. There were more options in Toronto, that's about it really. More versions of very similar bars and clubs, more than 2 major strips of places to go. More after hours places, that was another advantage. That is really the only difference. It's just more of the same when compared to Ottawa.

Maybe some people need to go to a different club everytime they go out, I don't know. Its not like nhlers can't just go party it up in NYC, LA or Montreal whenever they play a game there and stay the night without playing the next day.

It's not such a bad place to live. The air's clean, the streets are devoid of garbage, there's lakes and rivers, a canal, nearby rolling hills etc... The people are generally friendly and receiving of newbies. Life isn't always about partying and going to bars every night of the week as many of you youngans will find out once you clear 30. Other tings become more of a priority, good friends, family, careers etc.. Have a blast in Montreal which has culture and a great bar scene I might add but pails in comparison to other larger cities that are real metropolises with a very large urban populace. Say doesn't Montreal have their ONE professional sports team? :laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:

John Holmes*

How many of you experts at dealing with the super wealthy have ever like...dealt with the super wealthy?

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
I have had two NHL hockey players tell me, in person, that no one really wants to go to Ottawa. One was George Laraque and the other asked to remain nameless.

George told me it was not only his opinion, but a general consensus throughout the league.

The older guys with families might not mind it, but the younger guys do. If you make millions of dollars, you want to live in Toronto, not Ottawa. It's pretty simple.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
I have had two NHL hockey players tell me, in person, that no one really wants to go to Ottawa. One was George Laraque and the other asked to remain nameless.

George told me it was not only his opinion, but a general consensus throughout the league.

The older guys with families might not mind it, but the younger guys do. If you make millions of dollars, you want to live in Toronto, not Ottawa. It's pretty simple.

And yet Kyle Turris, Clarke Macarthur and other young players continue to play here...

No offense, but I've met Georges Laraque too. I've never met someone so stupid who thinks he's actually smart. It was at a political event during his failed run with the Green Party. Him debating politics was like watching a dog trying to figure out a locked door. It was amusing.

I know plenty of players too, across a gamut of pro sports. They go where they can win. What the **** does Green Bay have to offer? NOTHING. Yet FAs flock to that city so they can play with Aaron Rodgers. Build it, and they will come. Nothing else matters, especially when they have the money to live wherever they want on the planet the other 8 months of the year.

torlev*

And yet Kyle Turris, Clarke Macarthur and other young players continue to play here...

No offense, but I've met Georges Laraque too. I've never met someone so stupid who thinks he's actually smart. It was at a political event during his failed run with the Green Party. Him debating politics was like watching a dog trying to figure out a locked door. It was amusing.

I know plenty of players too, across a gamut of pro sports. They go where they can win. What the **** does Green Bay have to offer? NOTHING. Yet FAs flock to that city so they can play with Aaron Rodgers. Build it, and they will come. Nothing else matters, especially when they have the money to live wherever they want on the planet the other 8 months of the year.

Has Kyle Turris ever hit UFA???? I didn't think he had.

It's not like Clarke Macarthur was a hot commodity.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Has Kyle Turris ever hit UFA???? I didn't think he had.

It's not like Clarke Macarthur was a hot commodity.

...neither was Clarkson, and that was the only UFA Toronto could land.

But, ya know, everyone wants to go to Toronto. :laugh:

John Holmes*

It probably dates back to the legitimate broke years.

I know Matt Barnaby never wanted to play here.

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010

We are talking about the city, not the team.

True or False

In a poll of all NHL players on which city they would prefer to play hockey in, Ottawa would rank in the bottom half.

torlev*

...neither was Clarkson, and that was the only UFA Toronto could land.

But, ya know, everyone wants to go to Toronto. :laugh:

Hmm, I seem to recall there were a few teams in on Clarkson, and he took less to go to Toronto. I don’t remember any other UFAs they were reported to be after. Can you? They re-signed Kessel, when many seemed to think he was as good as gone. I’ll be curious to see if Ottawa can keep Ryan. I have my doubts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad