How are you feeling about Tavares these days?

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
I don’t think they will jettison Tavares, and I’m good with that for a few reasons.

He’s still a very good player.
Paying to dump the contract is expensive when it’s off the books in a year.
It’s his turn to switch the script and play underpaid on his next deal instead of overpaid

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
For those who want Tavares off the roster next year, what do you believe the cost is to move him, and who will you replace him with? Do you really think that makes the team better?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
For those who want Tavares off the roster next year, what do you believe the cost is to move him, and who will you replace him with? Do you really think that makes the team better?
I don’t think it’s worth it for 1 year.
If we move Marner there is 11 million and we can hopefully get some prospects in that deal as well who can step in soon.

If we can’t move Marner, it doesn’t matter anyway. It’s a run it back so do whatever.

Reactions: Fogelhund

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
My prediction for next season is that the GM keeps things status quo with a few re signings. Tavares will continue his slow uninspired play and put up even worse numbers and by the deadline the GM will cap dump him with retention and that will be seen as the big shake up heading into the playoffs. Very simple stuff. I don't see JT and Marner being traded in blockbusters this off season. Just doesn't seem realistic.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
okay to be fair. the previous poster didn't say instead of them. but i don't think it's fair that you are implying that they don't look up to JT period.

I mean. okay admittedly, I'm not a man, and I never played ice hockey but a Lot of times i read people's posts here and they just make it sound like "well if you aren't super duper fancy and put up everything up, you're trash." (this is a general lump together, i'm not saying that you said this specifically,). but when I played sports (and I've played from when i was little all the way through university. - there were all sorts of leaders on my teams, and I had a whole lot of captains. not all my captains were the super best point getter of the teams I play. not all my captains were. RAAAHHHHH LET'S GOOOOOOOO!!!!!! type people.

now I am not going to sit here and say that JT is the bestest captain that ever captain'ed. but i also believe that people here have this belief in their head on what a captain should be and they are super duper hard on anyone when they don't live up to that expectation in their head. Mats got rode hard that he was a bad captain. Phaneuf got it bad too. (and I'll own it, I gave him crap A LOT, and I thought Lupul would have been a better one, what a mistake that would have been) People want Matthews to be the captain simply because he scores all the points and franchise player (but to me he doesn't seem to be "captain" material either but it's also en vogue to make those guys "captain") which technically. you know is why they made JT captain here too. so who knows what is the "right" type of captain.

that's just my two pennies on that.
Captain doesn't really mean as much as it used to years ago but ideally your Captain is one of your top players who has a presence about , if you ever seen an interview with Landeskog of the AVs you'll see he has a laid back self assured intensity about him , it's not faked or a person trying to fit a role , it's just his natural personality .

guys respect and follow guys who have a certain presence about them , it's like watching a Sean Connery movie , sure he was a good actor but he naturally drew your attention or if you like football watch how Tom Brady carries himself and the presence he has even if he's just standing there

now you don't always get that type of person who's also a top player and that's why a team will usually give the C to the top player regardless of his personality

JT wouldn't have been Captain if AM didn't drop his pants and not informed the team he was being sued . What they should have done is given Rielly the C , he carries himself well and comes across sincere in interviews unlike JT who looks and sounds like and unemotional bot spewing cliches . You watch JT on the bench and he always has that blank stare on his face like and i doubt he's any different in private , now this doesn't make him a bad person but it also isn't someone people look to to lead them .

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
My prediction for next season is that the GM keeps things status quo with a few re signings. Tavares will continue his slow uninspired play and put up even worse numbers and by the deadline the GM will cap dump him with retention and that will be seen as the big shake up heading into the playoffs. Very simple stuff. I don't see JT and Marner being traded in blockbusters this off season. Just doesn't seem realistic.
Tavares waiving at the deadline doesn't seem realistic.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
JT is good for 65-80 points and 25-35 goals, while having a faceoff % of 55+... this is more than fine, then next season when there are many more big fish as UFA we have a large amount of cap savings.
The big picture most of the get rid of JT crowd dont understand is, losing him will not give us cap space, it will make it worse, because we would use every penny on longer term deals for lesser players ala Islanders where they have a bunch of mid 6 forwards at 5+ that are essentially untradeable.
we will always be a cap team, so every penny we make available will only be temporary

for example, we keep JT and wait to see which UFA's dont resign, we may have a shot at Drais, or Shesterkin

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
I don’t think they will jettison Tavares, and I’m good with that for a few reasons.

He’s still a very good player.
Paying to dump the contract is expensive when it’s off the books in a year.
It’s his turn to switch the script and play underpaid on his next deal instead of overpaid
Somewhere else hopefully. He’s only going to get slower and less effective. A home run would be Tavares, Marner and Rielly playing somewhere else next season. Two out of three is a double and one moved is a single.

They may value his leadership.
It’s Matthews team now. If they want leadership look to him, McCabe, Domi maybe Edmondson. JT is too quiet and not vocal enough.

Reactions: ToneDog

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
Tavares waiving at the deadline doesn't seem realistic.
It is if the management puts pressure on him to do it. In any other market this would be the move. In any other situation a player about to be a UFA making 11 million and not producing would be asked to move and cap dumped with retention. If Tre wants to be competitive next playoffs he will seek to do this. Utah or Seattle could use JT at 50% to attract fans. Clueless fans but fans none the less.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
Good question. Next year is going to be a tough year cap wise if they can’t move Marner. So JT retaining $4M gives them $7M to pursue a top four RD and Domi plays 2C. That need that RD more than a 35 year old JT as a third line LW.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Kyper had some interesting thoughts on why Tavares might accept a trade and it has to do with making it to the HOF. He has a better chance to put up the numbers needed elsewhere. He also thinks you can get something for him if you retain. He is also only owed $910K in real dollars next year so that would make him somewhat attractive to some teams.

I do not see any benefit of trading him at the TDL unless you are not making the playoffs in which case you can offer to resign him if he waives. I recall he asked the Isles not to trade him at the TDL before walking.

Last edited:
Reactions: Darcy Tucker

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
They may value his leadership.
It’s Matthews team now. If they want leadership look to him, McCabe, Domi maybe Edmondson. JT is too quiet and not vocal enough.

This really f***ing pissed me off.

Like the man but he’s robotic in his comments. Program the chip and pick whichever bland, uninspiring comment you want him to say. Never shows any leadership on the bench or ice. Not a Captain. Look at the results of teams he’s led in the playoffs.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Somewhere else hopefully. He’s only going to get slower and less effective. A home run would be Tavares, Marner and Rielly playing somewhere else next season. Two out of three is a double and one moved is a single.

I haven't been in the room to know one way or another.

It is if the management puts pressure on him to do it. In any other market this would be the move. In any other situation a player about to be a UFA making 11 million and not producing would be asked to move and cap dumped with retention. If Tre wants to be competitive next playoffs he will seek to do this. Utah or Seattle could use JT at 50% to attract fans. Clueless fans but fans none the less.
The GM may seek it but I don't see the player having interest. He'll want to be part of the playoff run here.

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
okay to be fair. the previous poster didn't say instead of them. but i don't think it's fair that you are implying that they don't look up to JT period.

I mean. okay admittedly, I'm not a man, and I never played ice hockey but a Lot of times i read people's posts here and they just make it sound like "well if you aren't super duper fancy and put up everything up, you're trash." (this is a general lump together, i'm not saying that you said this specifically,). but when I played sports (and I've played from when i was little all the way through university. - there were all sorts of leaders on my teams, and I had a whole lot of captains. not all my captains were the super best point getter of the teams I play. not all my captains were. RAAAHHHHH LET'S GOOOOOOOO!!!!!! type people.

now I am not going to sit here and say that JT is the bestest captain that ever captain'ed. but i also believe that people here have this belief in their head on what a captain should be and they are super duper hard on anyone when they don't live up to that expectation in their head. Mats got rode hard that he was a bad captain. Phaneuf got it bad too. (and I'll own it, I gave him crap A LOT, and I thought Lupul would have been a better one, what a mistake that would have been) People want Matthews to be the captain simply because he scores all the points and franchise player (but to me he doesn't seem to be "captain" material either but it's also en vogue to make those guys "captain") which technically. you know is why they made JT captain here too. so who knows what is the "right" type of captain.

that's just my two pennies on that.

The Captain isn't the only guy that people in the room look up to, it's a title that helps "sway" the players to look towards him.

Personally, I think there's probably a pretty substantial aversion to making Matthews captain within the Leaf organization.

1. He's probably not the type of personality that they want as captain. He's into fashion, he hangs out with Bieber, he occasionally spats with media. He's out of the city once the season is done. I suspect that on a day to day basis throughout the season off the ice, Matthews relies largely on his talent to get by, versus putting in hours and hours of work in the film room, etc.

When a rookie comes into this team, they probably want them to try and emulate a John Tavares over an Auston Matthews.

2. Being Captain of the Leafs is both hard, and a distraction. Having Tavares in that position "insulates" Matthews a little bit from some of the heat, and allows him to do what he does best, which is play hockey.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
stone cold LOSER

“We’re right there”

Gtfo of here. It’s no surprise that as soon as he left the Isles went on to have the most playoff success they’ve had in years. He’s been captain of two franchises and has a grand total of 2 series wins. What a joke.

The Isles didn’t have a plan without him around and they ended up having more success without his useless arse around. Addition by subtraction

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
From an outsiders perspective he's leadership seems questionable. Maybe he commands more respect in the locker room but from a fans point of view it doesn't look like it.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
I haven't been in the room to know one way or another.

The GM may seek it but I don't see the player having interest. He'll want to be part of the playoff run here.
The room was dead. Treliving said that was one reason he brought in Reaves. But besides the room, his on ice demeanor is too solemn and dispassionate. Plus in 15 years, 10 seasons as Captain he’s led his team past the first round twice. He shouldn’t be part of their future never mind their leadership group. It would be awkward for him and his teammates.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
guys respect and follow guys who have a certain presence about them , it's like watching a Sean Connery movie , sure he was a good actor but he naturally drew your attention or if you like football watch how Tom Brady carries himself and the presence he has even if he's just standing there

okay so basically it's a guy thing i got it. :)

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
The Isles didn’t have a plan without him around and they ended up having more success without his useless arse around. Addition by subtraction

I get the reasoning for the reactionary comments, but in no world, is addition by subtraction going to work, when he's replaced by Holmberg. If you really believe that Islanders success, was because Tavares left.... well, I have some swampland in Florida for you. Their offense absolutely cratered after he left, but they brought in new coaching, new goalies, and they had young D that emerged to be very good.

I do believe that we need to move on from him, I just don't think it's necessary this year, and don't think it's wise without a reasonable planned replacement. The other challenge is not many teams could take on his full cap hit, and it doesn't make sense to pay to have that retained by some other team.

A deal that could work, is Tavares to Columbus for Merzlikins... who has 3 more years at $5.4 million. I guess that depends on what you think of Merzlikins... Did Columbus suck because he was bad the last two years, or the other way around? Being stuck with a bad goalie at $5.4 million, is more of an albatross than riding out Tavares for a year. Columbus has a desperate need at C.

Another interesting possibility... could be Boston? They'll need to move Swayman.... and really could use more C depth... Tavares at 50% for Swayman? That doesn't open any cap for us... Both are UFA's in a year... Frankly they'd be better off taking a run at Lindholm, and moving Swayman for assets... and our backup plan would be taking a run at Lindholm... lol... Which might not be a terrible idea.

To me... my plan would be Marner to Seattle for 1st + Wright... shelter Wright for a year as a 3C, let him take over 2C after Tavares leaves.

At this point, most of the other UFA C's are 3C's at best, except maybe Lindholm.. who is going to command a decent pay, that we might not be able to afford if we have to retain on Tavares at all, or take back any real cap. The quality of Free Agent C's next year, is far superior to this year... at least so far...

I mean what do you think Lindholm would make? $8-9 mil? I mean there's Henrique... who would want term, and is a 3C at this point... or Wennberg, who has been a disappointment with NYR. Go ahead, look through UFA's... there isn't any quality there at all....

I'm more than ok with moving on from Tavares, but there has to be a plan... what's next....

Reactions: BrannigansLaw

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
I like JT. He came home to play for his boyhood team. How often do Canadian players do that? RARELY!

The problem was the contract he (his agent) requested. Huge SB due on July 1st, 100% NMC.

Giving those 2 conditions, Leafs deserved at least a 1.5-2 million dollar discount.

Reactions: OddyOh and ToneDog

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
I get the reasoning for the reactionary comments, but in no world, is addition by subtraction going to work, when he's replaced by Holmberg. If you really believe that Islanders success, was because Tavares left.... well, I have some swampland in Florida for you. Their offense absolutely cratered after he left, but they brought in new coaching, new goalies, and they had young D that emerged to be very good.

I do believe that we need to move on from him, I just don't think it's necessary this year, and don't think it's wise without a reasonable planned replacement. The other challenge is not many teams could take on his full cap hit, and it doesn't make sense to pay to have that retained by some other team.

A deal that could work, is Tavares to Columbus for Merzlikins... who has 3 more years at $5.4 million. I guess that depends on what you think of Merzlikins... Did Columbus suck because he was bad the last two years, or the other way around? Being stuck with a bad goalie at $5.4 million, is more of an albatross than riding out Tavares for a year. Columbus has a desperate need at C.

Another interesting possibility... could be Boston? They'll need to move Swayman.... and really could use more C depth... Tavares at 50% for Swayman? That doesn't open any cap for us... Both are UFA's in a year... Frankly they'd be better off taking a run at Lindholm, and moving Swayman for assets... and our backup plan would be taking a run at Lindholm... lol... Which might not be a terrible idea.

To me... my plan would be Marner to Seattle for 1st + Wright... shelter Wright for a year as a 3C, let him take over 2C after Tavares leaves.

At this point, most of the other UFA C's are 3C's at best, except maybe Lindholm.. who is going to command a decent pay, that we might not be able to afford if we have to retain on Tavares at all, or take back any real cap. The quality of Free Agent C's next year, is far superior to this year... at least so far...

I mean what do you think Lindholm would make? $8-9 mil? I mean there's Henrique... who would want term, and is a 3C at this point... or Wennberg, who has been a disappointment with NYR. Go ahead, look through UFA's... there isn't any quality there at all....

I'm more than ok with moving on from Tavares, but there has to be a plan... what's next....

There’s a lot to unpack here and I appreciate the post but I’m just saying the Isles didn’t have a plan so saying that there has to be a plan doesn’t mean addition by subtraction won’t work out. That’s all. Also, the isles offense cratered more because they changed their style of play to be more defense oriented in addition to Tavares leaving.

I would personally build a statute of Treliving on legends row if he dumped Tavares for Swayman. Sweeney would be quartered and hanged in Boston if he did that lol.

Reactions: ToneDog

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Tavares thinking they are close is kind of amusing.

A good point I just heard.

The Leafs are consistent. 100 points per year. Make the playoffs. Lose.

I am not sure they are close to being close.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad