How are they doing now? (Former Sabres Players) Top 100 pics/stories

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
Well that's some sad news.
I met him when we had him speak at our high school hockey end of year banquet. He was super friendly; answered all our questions, and he even gave me mimeographed instructions on how to make a plaster cast of my face and how to make my own fiberglass mask. I had the book from his dad called "Playing the Shots at Both Ends" which he signed for me. He is credited with mask modifications that led to the hybrid cage/mask that everyone uses today. A sad day, indeed. RIP Dave. A pioneer and a genuinely nice guy.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Funny that Muni also wound up as part of the deal that brought Darryl Shannon and Michel Grosek to Buffalo... and sent the pick the Jets used on future Sabre Danny Briere to Winnipeg. (That deal happened on the day of the top prospects game and I wanted to give Muckler a piece of my mind about dealing that pick which they'd gotten with Varada in the deal for Bodger.)

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Funny that Muni also wound up as part of the deal that brought Darryl Shannon and Michel Grosek to Buffalo... and sent the pick the Jets used on future Sabre Danny Briere to Winnipeg. (That deal happened on the day of the top prospects game and I wanted to give Muckler a piece of my mind about dealing that pick which they'd gotten with Varada in the deal for Bodger.)

Muni was traded for Keith Carney the second time he was traded to Buffalo. The Sabres and Hawks also swapped 5th and 6th round picks (Daniel Bienvenue to the Sabres, Marc Magliarditi to the Hawks).

The rest went down as you said. Because NHL trades are sometimes weird. Like who tf would ever think Doug Bodger was worth adding a first round pick to two of your top 10 prospects, and you’re the 1995-96 San Jose Sharks?

And why would you think that highly of Shannon and Grosek to send that pick along? Like Muni should still have enough value that you add a 3rd, not a 1st.

At least it worked out in the end. Briere ended up with the Sabres.

Reactions: Howie Hodge

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse

I found this kind of cool doing this Twitter thing. That’s quite the career changes.

Post-hockey acting career? Just following in other Sabres footsteps.

Ville Leino's portrayed a pro hockey player nightly for 3 seasons from 2011-12 to 2013-14 (his final season where he went goal-less in 58 games with only 15 assists), the (lack of) performance finally earning him an Emmy .

In 2021, Carter Hutton was nominated as best male actor in a supporting role playing a goalie who persists pursuing his dream despite the onset of legal blindness.

Rob Ray has been nominated eight times in the foreign language film category by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, but has never won the Oscar, (joining actress Glenn Close in that trivia category answer).

Edit: Forgot about Ralph Kreuger's portrayal of a huckster with ambitions of cashing in millions of dollars as a deceitful pro level hockey coach in "The Flim-Flam Man from Flin Flon, Manitoba".

Last edited:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY

The man himself liked what I said. This is probably the highlight of doing this so far. It’s still a very underrated mask throughout NHL history, my Buffalo fandom be damned.

Fuhr did indeed have the best Sabres mask ever and I'll usually post this from time to time, but I've always been fond of this one. The native (American or Canadian) in the moonlight/sunlight is just so freaking cool.

fuhrm3.JPG

Reactions: VaporTrail

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Fuhr did indeed have the best Sabres mask ever and I'll usually post this from time to time, but I've always been fond of this one. The native (American or Canadian) in the moonlight/sunlight is just so freaking cool.

View attachment 598566

I don’t mind that one. It’s just the 3D look of the buffalo skull that makes it my favourite. Plus it’s unintentional homage to Malarchuk’s buffalo skull mask.

DeadGhost

Ugistered Reger
Feb 15, 2010
The passing of Peter McNab had me wondering, how many former Sabres are doing commentary/studio work around the NHL. Off the top of my head:

Rayzor & Marty - Buffalo
Randy Moller - Florida
Dave Andreychuk, Brian Engblom - Tampa
Jean-Luc Grand-Pierre - Columbus, TNT
Curtis Brown - San Jose
Garry Galley, Craig Simpson - HNIC

Reactions: Chainshot

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
The passing of Peter McNab had me wondering, how many former Sabres are doing commentary/studio work around the NHL. Off the top of my head:

Rayzor & Marty - Buffalo
Randy Moller - Florida
Dave Andreychuk, Brian Engblom - Tampa
Jean-Luc Grand-Pierre - Columbus, TNT
Curtis Brown - San Jose
Garry Galley, Craig Simpson - HNIC
Brad May was in Vegas

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad