How are they doing now? (Former Sabres Players) Top 100 pics/stories

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Slightly OT: (though this is the go-to thread for Sabres history)

Did the Sabres and/or Amerks have some sort of agreement with the Detroit Vipers of the IHL in late 90s? Looking at their rosters I see a lot of Amerk players of the time (Todd Simon, Patrice Tardif, etc) and their coaches seemed to have Buffalo ties pretty consistently: Rick Dudley, Steve Ludzik, etc.

I don't recall them being part of the org. but I was fairly young at the time.

Apologies for the potential hijack of the thread, I just wasn't sure if the above questioned warranted its own thread.

The Vipers were an independent team for most of their existence. It was only after they had a disastrous affiliation deal in the 90
Slightly OT: (though this is the go-to thread for Sabres history)

Did the Sabres and/or Amerks have some sort of agreement with the Detroit Vipers of the IHL in late 90s? Looking at their rosters I see a lot of Amerk players of the time (Todd Simon, Patrice Tardif, etc) and their coaches seemed to have Buffalo ties pretty consistently: Rick Dudley, Steve Ludzik, etc.

I don't recall them being part of the org. but I was fairly young at the time.

Apologies for the potential hijack of the thread, I just wasn't sure if the above questioned warranted its own thread.

The Vipers were an independent team through most of their existence, save for a disastrous couple of seasons as the farm team for Tampa Bay. So most of the former Sabres players you’ve seen were just guys not good enough for the NHL, but got paid more than they would have over in Europe or the AHL.

Because of that, it’s why the league eventually folded. Salaries were too high for the independent teams without getting money from an NHL team, and when it folded only 4 teams were affiliated with an NHL team (Grand Rapids - Detroit, Milwaukee - Nashville, Cincinnati - Carolina, & Utah - Dallas).

WiHockeyGuy

Jan 6, 2017
The Dairy State
The Vipers were an independent team for most of their existence. It was only after they had a disastrous affiliation deal in the 90

The Vipers were an independent team through most of their existence, save for a disastrous couple of seasons as the farm team for Tampa Bay. So most of the former Sabres players you’ve seen were just guys not good enough for the NHL, but got paid more than they would have over in Europe or the AHL.

Because of that, it’s why the league eventually folded. Salaries were too high for the independent teams without getting money from an NHL team, and when it folded only 4 teams were affiliated with an NHL team (Grand Rapids - Detroit, Milwaukee - Nashville, Cincinnati - Carolina, & Utah - Dallas).

I kind of figured this had to be the case, because the only affiliation agreements I can recall in the 90s-00s were Roch (obviously), Portland, Cincinnati, Bossier-Shreveport in the old CHL, South Carolina in the ECHL, and the Elmira Jackals for a bit.

It was just intriguing to me to see so many familiar faces on some of those Detroit teams, from the coaches on down.

The IHL was fun while it lasted, Milwaukee's independent years were pretty cool, but I get why that model isn't sustainable for minor league teams. Without big-league funding these teams just can't exist in most cases.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
I was in Wegman's on Sheridan last weekend, September 11.

And who do I see in The Produce Aisle?

Fred Stanfield!

No mistaking those eyes and hair.

So I was approaching him to say hello when it hit me; Fred passed away a year ago!

That would have been awkward...

RIP Freddy.

On the positive side of things, his Doppelganger was looking very well....

;)

Reactions: Dirty Dog

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
For a 5th rounder, he carved out a decent career (435 NHL games played).
He ranks top-25-35 in games played, goals, and points from that entire draft (the Crosby - Kopitar - Paul Stastny draft).

Other notable 5th (and later) rounders from that 2005 draft:
5th round
Darren Helm (before Gerbe) 812 games, still active.
Ryan Reaves 755 games, still active.
6th round
Former one-time Sabres Tim Kennedy and Matt D'Agostini, last NHL seasons were in 2013-14.
7th round
Anton Stralman 930 games, currently unsigned UFA.
Patric Hornqvist 879 games, signed for this season.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Reactions: Jim Bob

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse

I knew somewhere that Benning had something to do with the Sabres, but I forgot all about it

I think that's Dan Paille in the photo (with Luce & Regier, obviously).
Under Benning, the 1999-2001 Sabres drafts and talent retention were outright disasters in the early rounds.
Pretty sure that was all before the Rigas scandal and the house of cards collapsed.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Under Benning, the 1999-2001 Sabres drafts and talent retention were outright disasters in the early rounds.
Pretty sure that was all before the Rigas scandal and the house of cards collapsed.
The 1999 draft for most teams was pretty rotten.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in

Yes it’s Paille. It was the only photo I could find of Benning during his Sabres time

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
The Big Man himself liked my tweet. Although I thought he was with the Sabres for longer than two seasons.
29925361-3967-4B3F-985F-375B0F6DE591.png
29925361-3967-4B3F-985F-375B0F6DE591.png

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Aaron Dell stopped 26 of 27 shots in preseason action with a win over LA last night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad