TV: House of the Dragon (HBO) - Season 2 - Summer 2024, please use spoil tags where it makes sense

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
He's the absolute worst. There's always at least one character in a show like this that you wish a horrible death upon and he's at the top of that list for me.
Also, man are they ramming the point (pun intended) home that Alicent really likes to have sex with Cole.

The Otto/Aegon scene was fantastic, as others have said I haven't cared much about Otto thus far even though I respected the ambition but he really shined in that scene.

That are just showing how weak she is. She came in all pissed off at him, then was like ok, you win, now lets have sex again. If there is one "main" character I see dying first it would be her (but when I thought things like that in GOT, the character usually ends up being the most powerful and never dies :laugh:).

• Haha
Reactions: hotcabbagesoup

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
He's got a significant part to play in what's to come, that I can assure you. I won't say what because of spoilers, but they're giving him screentime for a purpose FWIW.
I had a this part spoiled from after watching a livestream of a breakdown of the first episode. Sucks but i guess its what i get.

That are just showing how weak she is. She came in all pissed off at him, then was like ok, you win, now lets have sex again.
Is it weakness though? Others have mentioned it that shes never had a relationship or sex life like this before. She spent years having sex with a gross old man with like holes in his body.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I had a this part spoiled from after watching a livestream of a breakdown of the first episode. Sucks but i guess its what i get.

Is it weakness though? Others have mentioned it that shes never had a relationship or sex life like this before. She spent years having sex with a gross old man with like holes in his body.

I just laughed hard at this, not sure why :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: Sad People

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle

And they made it pretty clear in that one scene she was laying back and thinking of Westros.

Reactions: Sad People

Scotianhab

Aug 2, 2005
Nova Scotia
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. They went out of their way to start including more POVs this year, it just seems an odd criticism.

The blacksmith guy who Aegon promised money to (is that Corelys, character names on this show!), I'm not sure where that storyline is going. But it's clearly an attempt to show the little guy.

The guys on the boats i think your referring to (one of whom apparently saved Lord Valayron) are going to be super important characters. It's been years since I read Fire and Blood, but I remember the name Alyn of Hull, he plays a big part IIRC. But again another shot of the "peasant life" from his eyes in that POV.

Seems an odd time to be complaining about lack of POVs. And if they follow the books, there's not going to be any expanding, they've already expanded more than the book did.

This one always had a limited shelf life. This is a contained civil war. It's not the epoch of the overall story like Game of Thrones. I'm thinking they might wrap this series up after 3 seasons, maybe stretch it to 4 at most. They are limited by the lore. That's why they have so many other spinoff in the works.

the blacksmith guy is in the books and has a part to play. It will probably jog your memory down the road.

Reactions: Holden Caulfield

Il Stugotz

Dude Good (good dude)
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2008
My biggest WTH moment was Alicent walking into Aegon’s room, seeing him sobbing, and just leaving. Like that would’ve been the moment to connect with and influence him. I was expecting some mothering.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
My biggest WTH moment was Alicent walking into Aegon’s room, seeing him sobbing, and just leaving. Like that would’ve been the moment to connect with and influence him. I was expecting some mothering.

Honestly when was last time she actually was a mother? She made it clear what she thought of both sons already at this point in lives

Alicent's kids are all f***ed up (At least the 3 we see) because of her

Aegon spiraling, Aemond cuddled up on old prostitute like an emaciated cat and her daughter mentally degrading

The actor for Aegon is really growing on me. Last season was a bit meh from little screen time he got but this episode he was great and really is starting to standout

Last edited:

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Absolutely worth it.
But if you didn't care for the first season, this show is not for you. May as well pass.

Didn't hate the first season by any means. I will probably give it a chance again. I didn't love game of thrones at first either. I was just wondering if it was floundering.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
What's really noticeable is the lack of humor in this show. Not saying that's a negative. It probably fits the overall tone they're aiming for. But I don't think there's been a single moment yet where I even chuckled. These characters take themselves super seriously.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
What's really noticeable is the lack of humor in this show. Not saying that's a negative. It probably fits the overall tone they're aiming for. But I don't think there's been a single moment yet where I even chuckled. These characters take themselves super seriously.
Deamon and King Aegon have some humor, but you’re right. Not that it takes anything away from the show though.

Reactions: TCTC

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Watched episode 2 last night and agree with everyone saying it was an excellent episode especially from a writing and acting standpoint. The actor playing Otto nailed his scenes in particular. I feel like I asked this during season 1 but can't remember the answer, is Christon Cole in the books or was he created just for the show?

Last edited:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Watched episode 2 last night and agree with everyone saying it was an excellent episode especially from a writing and acting standpoint. The actor playing Otto nailed his scenes in particular. I feel like I asked this during season 1 but can't remember the answer, is Christon Cole on the books or was he created just for the show?
Cole is in the book.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Seems like Larys' role has been diminished so far this season which I like since I find him very annoying. I was actually expecting him to be named the new hand since he put that bug in Aegons ear. Of course, he's more like a Varys or Littlefinger who likes to work from the shadows.

I agree with everyone saying how awful of a mother Alicent is. She seems and even looks more like an older sister to them. I thought Aemond was the one in the family who had it together but that scene in the brothel certainly showed he has some issues which most likely due to not being raised properly by Alicent.

I think Aegon's quickly shifting from being a potentially good king to a tyrant given his actions in this episode. He really took the death of his son hard which is something that you wouldn't have seen from Joffrey or even Tywin but his response was that of a mad man. I know the Targ's are into inbreeding but the idea of Aegon having sex with his sister Helena who seems to be slow mentally is pretty disturbing.

Reactions: Osprey

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
That occurred to me while watching the latest episode, as well. GoT was also largely humorless, but did have characters (especially Tyrion and Varys) making witty, wry cracks now and then. This show takes it even further and barely ever has a character even grin, much less smile. Everyone in the show seems miserable, and I think that that's the point, since they take it out on others and escalate conflict. Also, in GoT, there was some affection between family members (ex. among the Starks and between Cersei and Jaime--no jokes, please--and Tyrion). Here, it feels like no one likes one another--Alicent doesn't seem to love even her own children--and there's a bit more friction, resentment and jealousy. Finally, in GoT, there was a feeling that one of the factions was going to win or that all of them would band together to defeat a common foe, but, here, it feels like no one's going to be a winner when this is over. It's a more serious and depressing show by design, I think, and I don't mind. Lightening the mood with humor would just undermine some of what makes the show stand out, IMO.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Seems like Larys' role has been diminished so far this season which I like since I find him very annoying. I was actually expecting him to be named the new hand since he put that bug in Aegons ear. Of course, he's more like a Varys or Littlefinger who likes to work from the shadows.
It wouldn't surprise me if Cole makes an awful Hand and gets replaced by Larys, who may even play a hand (no pun) in undermining him, if only out of jealousy over Alicent (and her feet).

Reactions: DaaaaB's

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
Didn't hate the first season by any means. I will probably give it a chance again. I didn't love game of thrones at first either. I was just wondering if it was floundering.
I would say give it another shot, I mentioned earlier in this thread I rewatched season 1 before season 2 and thought it was way better the second time around.

Reactions: Deen

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
That occurred to me while watching the latest episode, as well. GoT was also largely humorless, but did have characters (especially Tyrion and Varys) making witty, wry cracks now and then. This show takes it even further and barely ever has a character even grin, much less smile. Everyone in the show seems miserable, and I think that that's the point, since they take it out on others and escalate conflict. Also, in GoT, there was some affection between family members (ex. among the Starks and between Cersei and Jaime--no jokes, please--and Tyrion). Here, it feels like no one likes one another--Alicent doesn't seem to love even her own children--and there's a bit more friction, resentment and jealousy. Finally, in GoT, there was a feeling that one of the factions was going to win or that all of them would band together to defeat a common foe, but, here, it feels like no one's going to be a winner when this is over. It's a more serious and depressing show by design, I think, and I don't mind. Lightening the mood with humor would just undermine some of what makes the show stand out, IMO.
I agree. Humor probably would be misplaced in this show, and I kind of appreciate that they're not compromising in that regard to attract a larger audience. And I'm definitely glad we're not seeing some of the silly jokes we got in GoT.

But this probably isn't a show I could binge watch. Would be depressing. :laugh:

Reactions: Osprey

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
I love the dipshit characters, Joffery, Ramsey, and now Cole is entering the discussion. They are so entertaining.

Cole is more hateable than those guys as Joffrey, Ramsay would admit that they are dickheads. Ser Criston actually genuinely thinks that he's a good guy and it is others who have done him wrong, his self-righteousness and hypocrisy makes him more hateable. He's the Dolores Umbridge to Joffrey/Ramsay's Voldemort.

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Cole is more hateable than those guys as Joffrey, Ramsay would admit that they are dickheads. Ser Criston actually genuinely thinks that he's a good guy and it is others who have done him wrong, his self-righteousness and hypocrisy makes him more hateable. He's the Dolores Umbridge to Joffrey/Ramsay's Voldemort.
Joffrey had no self awareness that he was a little twat; I hate both those guys way more than Criston as of now

Reactions: BrindamoursNose

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Maybe it's just me but I was laughing my ass off at how stressed Otto was in Ep 2.

Reactions: BrindamoursNose

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad