HOH Top 70 Players of All Time (2009)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Every voter weighs things a little differently. Some value peak heavily, others not so much. It's a combination of all aspects of a player's career, and this is the result.

Your seemed to suggest that Lindros not appearing on the list is an inconsistency based on the rankings of Orr and Hasek, and I disputed this notion.
My beef is that Hasek is too high based on 5 or 6 year peak. Many will argue, Lindros during his 5 year period, was a top 10 forward all time in terms of total game. Why should Hasek's peak put him above the likes of Hall, Dryden, Sawchuk and Brodeur?

Reds4Life

Dec 24, 2007
My beef is that Hasek is too high based on 5 or 6 year peak. Many will argue, Lindros during his 5 year period, was a top 10 forward all time in terms of total game. Why should Hasek's peak put him above the likes of Hall, Dryden, Sawchuk and Brodeur?

Lindros' prime is not really close to Hasek's prime. During Hasek's prime, he was clearly better than anyone else. There was no doubt about that. Lindros was behind at least Jagr all the time, and that's just forward position.

Last edited:

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

What you're losing sight of is accomplishments.

Hasek won 2 Hart Trophies. When he did it it was the first time a goalie had won one in 35 years.

6 Vezina Trpohies.

6 First team All-star selections.

Led the league 6 straight years in save percentage. And by plenty.

And he didn't get to the NHL until he was 26 and wasn't the #1 on his team until he was 29.

Lindros' accomplishments pale in comparison.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005

There's absolutely no comparison between Lindros and Hasek. Lindros was maybe a top ten forward of all time in his prime... if you pretend that injuries don't count and you pro-rate his accomplishments to 82 games. Hasek almost certainly had the greatest peak of any goalie ever.

Lindros was the best forward in the NHL in exactly one season (1995). Hasek was named the best goalie in the league six times. That alone should show far apart they are.

Lindros, at his best, was still behind Jagr in points-per-game, and wasn't that much farther ahead of Sakic and Forsberg. He was worse defensively than Sakic and Forsberg (though he did have a more imposing physical presence than any of the three). Even if you exclude the immortals (Gretzky and Lemieux), Lindros wasn't the clear-cut best forward in the league during the 1990's.

Hasek's statistical dominance of his position is almost Gretzky like -- six straight years leading the NHL in save percentage.

Brodeur is one of the greatest goalies of all time.Between 1994 and 2002, Hasek allowed 135 fewer goals than Brodeur while facing 1,060 more shots... generally while on weaker teams.

During his absolute peak (1994-1999), the average goalie posted a 90.2% save percentage. Patrick Roy was 2nd in the league at 91.5%. Hasek was first at 93.0%. Hasek was farther ahead of Roy (a top three goalie all time) than Roy was ahead of the average goalie!

Compared to Lindros, Hasek was clearly better in international hockey (see the 1998 Olympics) and in the playoffs (2nd best save percentage in playoff history).

There's absolutely no comparison between Lindros and Hasek based on their actual accomplishments. Hasek has a better peak and better longevity.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
What you're losing sight of is accomplishments.

Hasek won 2 Hart Trophies. When he did it it was the first time a goalie had won one in 35 years.

6 Vezina Trpohies.

6 First team All-star selections.

Led the league 6 straight years in save percentage. And by plenty.

And he didn't get to the NHL until he was 26 and wasn't the #1 on his team until he was 29.

Lindros' accomplishments pale in comparison.
Arena bias is not taken into consideration. In New Jersey they had a -2.4 shot bias from 94-07. Buffalo had an average bias of +1.1 shots per game. Hasek still leads sv% and probably by bit but not quite what it is made out to be.

I can't take away from his accomplishments once again, he was voted by people who watch more then you or I (I would hope). But peak performance is only one part of the equation when evaluating a career.

Last edited:

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
There's absolutely no comparison between Lindros and Hasek. Lindros was maybe a top ten forward of all time in his prime... if you pretend that injuries don't count and you pro-rate his accomplishments to 82 games. Hasek almost certainly had the greatest peak of any goalie ever.

Lindros was the best forward in the NHL in exactly one season (1995). Hasek was named the best goalie in the league six times. That alone should show far apart they are.

Lindros, at his best, was still behind Jagr in points-per-game, and wasn't that much farther ahead of Sakic and Forsberg. He was worse defensively than Sakic and Forsberg (though he did have a more imposing physical presence than any of the three). Even if you exclude the immortals (Gretzky and Lemieux), Lindros wasn't the clear-cut best forward in the league during the 1990's.

Hasek's statistical dominance of his position is almost Gretzky like -- six straight years leading the NHL in save percentage.

Brodeur is one of the greatest goalies of all time.Between 1994 and 2002, Hasek allowed 135 fewer goals than Brodeur while facing 1,060 more shots... generally while on weaker teams.

During his absolute peak (1994-1999), the average goalie posted a 90.2% save percentage. Patrick Roy was 2nd in the league at 91.5%. Hasek was first at 93.0%. Hasek was farther ahead of Roy (a top three goalie all time) than Roy was ahead of the average goalie!

Compared to Lindros, Hasek was clearly better in international hockey (see the 1998 Olympics) and in the playoffs (2nd best save percentage in playoff history).

There's absolutely no comparison between Lindros and Hasek based on their actual accomplishments. Hasek has a better peak and better longevity.
Way to play around with the stats, I hope Hasek let in less goals, he played probably 10 games on average less then Brodeur each season. Like I said in my post above, arena bias has been around for years but even a stats guy like you has ignored it.

Hasek is still a great goaltender, but he isn't in the top tier with Roy and Plante when you include durability, longevity and playoffs.

Last edited:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Arena bias is not taken into consideration. In New Jersey they had a -2.4 shot bias from 94-07. Buffalo had an average bias of +1.1 shots per game. Hasek still leads sv% and probably by bit but not quite what it is made out to be.

This is true. While I agree with most of HO's post, I did cringe when he posted how many more shots Hasek faced than Brodeur. He obviously faced more shots, but the numbers are skewed by arena bias.

I know full well the NJ arena bias. Where did you find the Buffalo numbers?

What really convinced me of Hasek's greatness was that his GAA is so much better than anyone else who played in Buffalo during that time. It's something like half a goal difference per game vs. any backup. (The numbers are floating around somewhere on this board). Edit: I should say that I already knew Hasek was great, but not necessarily how great.

Either way, he was much better than Lindros. And his prime was more like 7-8 years, longer than Lindros' prime, and definitely longer than Sawchuk's.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
This is true. While I agree with most of HO's post, I did cringe when he posted how many more shots Hasek faced than Brodeur. He obviously faced more shots, but the numbers are skewed by arena bias.

I know full well the NJ arena bias. Where did you find the Buffalo numbers?

What really convinced me of Hasek's greatness was that his GAA is so much better than anyone else who played in Buffalo during that time. It's something like half a goal difference per game vs. any backup. (The numbers are floating around somewhere on this board).

Either way, he was much better than Lindros. And his prime was more like 7-8 years, longer than Lindros' prime, and definitely longer than Sawchuk's.
http://objectivenhl.blogspot.com/2009/03/in-previous-posts-it-was-shown-how-some.html

As many have guessed, Florida over counts shots as well. There is a reason why their goaltenders always have great sv% other then talent.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
http://objectivenhl.blogspot.com/2009/03/in-previous-posts-it-was-shown-how-some.html

As many have guessed, Florida over counts shots as well. There is a reason why their goaltenders always have great sv% other then talent.

Interesting. I never saw those numbers before. This might be worthy of it's own thread. Luongo's save % tumbled when moved to Vancouver and this is probably a big reason why (Vancouver undercounts as much as NJ it seems in addition to the Florida overcounts). Also, Nashville's overcounting is just absurd.

Edit: Actually, the conclusion of the link you sent is that Florida's shot discrepancy is genuine, not an overcounting. The other points stand.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I hope Hasek let in less goals, he played probably 10 games on average less then Brodeur each season.

The amount of games doesn't impact the number of goals, the number of shots faced does.

As HO said, "Hasek allowed 135 fewer goals than Brodeur while facing 1,060 more shots... generally while on weaker teams." your statement does not refute that or make it any less impressive.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
The amount of games doesn't impact the number of goals, the number of shots faced does.

As HO said, "Hasek allowed 135 fewer goals than Brodeur while facing 1,060 more shots... generally while on weaker teams." your statement does not refute that or make it any less impressive.

The difference in shots isn't nearly that great due to arena bias. I'll try to estimate the effect. To do a real calculation would take more time than I feel like spending. Since the NJ effect has been shown to be real by comparing home and away shooting percentage, I'll use it. I'll ignore any possible effect from Buffalo, since the bias there hasn't been confirmed as actual bias. So if anything this estimate will still be unfavorable to Brodeur.

Assuming 2.5 shots per game of arena bias, multiplied by about 35 home games for Brodeur per year multiplied by 7 years (plus 2.5 times 20 estimated home games during the lockout year), we get a bias against Brodeur of about 660 shots.

So a more realistic estimate would be that Hasek allowed 135 goals less than Brodeur, while facing approximately 400 more shots. This assumes there is no shot bias in Buffalo and only takes into account the bias in NJ. This is also an estimate, a better estimate would use year by year numbers.

This statement also ignores 2 further facts:
1) Brodeur's puckhandling itself reduces shots against slightly. This needs to be taken into account further, and likely can be (though I don't feel like doing it).
2) You are comparing Hasek's prime to the first half of Brodeur's career, most of which was not during Brodeur's prime. There is a 7 year age difference between the two.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006

I think you're underestimating Hasek's longevity. He was the best in the world at his position for nearly a decade. His peak was longer than Sawchuk's, and at least equally impressive. Dryden, Hall, and Brodeur never quite reached the same level of dominance in the opinion of most people.

Personally, I weigh a goalie's peak more than the other positions. As great as a forward or d-man may be, they need a reasonably strong supporting cast around them to win Stanley Cups. An all-time great goalie on top of his game can make a team of also-rans a contender.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
The difference in shots isn't nearly that great due to arena bias. I'll try to estimate the effect. To do a real calculation would take more time than I feel like spending. Since the NJ effect has been shown to be real by comparing home and away shooting percentage, I'll use it. I'll ignore any possible effect from Buffalo, since the bias there hasn't been confirmed as actual bias. So if anything this estimate will still be unfavorable to Brodeur.

Assuming 2.5 shots per game of arena bias, multiplied by about 35 home games for Brodeur per year multiplied by 7 years (plus 2.5 times 20 estimated home games during the lockout year), we get a bias against Brodeur of about 660 shots.

So a more realistic estimate would be that Hasek allowed 135 goals less than Brodeur, while facing approximately 400 more shots. This assumes there is no shot bias in Buffalo and only takes into account the bias in NJ. This is also an estimate, a better estimate would use year by year numbers.

This statement also ignores 2 further facts:
1) Brodeur's puckhandling itself reduces shots against slightly. This needs to be taken into account further, and likely can be (though I don't feel like doing it).
2) You are comparing Hasek's prime to the first half of Brodeur's career, most of which was not during Brodeur's prime. There is a 7 year age difference between the two.

- Regardless, Brodeur was considered one of the best goalies in the league and Hasek's statistical dominance of him during that period is frequently used as an illustration of his overall dominance.

- As for the shot bias, that's a different conversation altogether; my post was in response to the "fewer games" excuse which was irrelevant. (apparently the shot bias really began in 2001-02 anyway)

- This is really nitpicky and not the conversation I want to get into right now, but any effects of puckhandling can be entirely outweighed, and then some, by "shot quality due to abundance or lack of PK situations" estimates.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Agree that it's pointless to get into this, but just a few quick comments because I can't help myself :)

- Regardless, Brodeur was considered one of the best goalies in the league and Hasek's statistical dominance of him during that period is frequently used as an illustration of his overall dominance

Brodeur was "one of the best," but the statement taken out of context is supposed to show how much better Hasek was than Brodeur. And without context, it highly exaggerates the difference. Brodeur had some really mediocre seasons in there, and was probably a bit higher than Joseph during this time overall. He wasn't in his prime til 2001 or 2002 - that's when he really became consistent. We don't compare Hasek's prime directly to Roy's first 8 years in the league (some of which he struggled to even keep the starting job), so why is a direct comparison with a 7 years younger Brodeur used?
- As for the shot bias, that's a different conversation altogether; my post was in response to the "fewer games" excuse which was irrelevant. (apparently the shot bias really began in 2001-02 anyway)

Games is mostly irrelevant, true. I mean, there's the whole "going 10 minutes without a shot is really tough on a goalie mentally" thing, but I don't want to get into it now, at all.

That link shows that it started in 98-99, but got really big into the 2000s, two seasons reaching over 7 shots per game difference! I think 2.5 shots per game is a good conservative estimate if anything.

- This is really nitpicky and not the conversation I want to get into right now, but any effects of puckhandling can be entirely outweighed, and then some, by "shot quality due to abundance or lack of PK situations" estimates.

They are both factors and may or may not cancel out. Either way, they are harder to quantify, true. I'll give you that we can ignore outside variables like puckhandling and "going 10 minutes without a shot" and "PK situations," whatever.

1) None of the other factors affect the factual truth of what HO said. Shot recording bias does however, and it is something that can be quantifiable if someone takes the time to do it.

2) While the statement shows Hasek's dominance against a "good" NHL goalie, it should not be used as any valid comparison between Hasek and Brodeur, since it compares Hasek's prime to Brodeur's worst consecutive 8 year period.

Last edited:

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
Between 1994 and 2002, Hasek allowed 135 fewer goals than Brodeur while facing 1,060 more shots... generally while on weaker teams.

From the objectivenhl link: "In terms of New Jersey, it seems that the tendency for undercounting shots at Continental Airlines arena began during the 2001-02 season."

I think Hockey Outsider's point stands.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
From the objectivenhl link: "In terms of New Jersey, it seems that the tendency for undercounting shots at Continental Airlines arena began during the 2001-02 season."

NJ did have more home shots than away shots since 98-99 for whatever reason. You're right that farther down, it shows that that was the first year there is a provable bias (7+shots per game!!!)

Okay, so the statement might be technically correct (assuming we ignore the huge shot bias in 01-02), but what does it tell us? Hasek was a much better goalie during his best 7 year stretch than Brodeur was during his worst 7 year stretch.

I do take exception to the "while on a weaker team" business though. If you're going to give Hasek credit for the "team" factor, you'd better give Brodeur credit for his gamebreaking puckhandling.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS

With arena bias taken into effect, I would be interested to see Hasek's peak verses Brodeur's peak (last 7 years) since Hasek seems to be compared Brodeur's earlier years.

1993-94 the stand for goals per game
Adjusted value Hasek (6 years)
1993-94 - 53 gm, 7 SO, 1.95 GAA, .932 sv%
1994-95 - 41 gm, 5 SO, 2.29 GAA, .931 sv%
1995-96 - 58 gm, 2 SO, 2.91 GAA, .918 sv%
1996-97 - 67 gm, 5 SO, 2.53 GAA, .929 sv%
1997-98 - 72 gm, 13 SO, 2.56 GAA, .930 sv%
1998-99 - 64 gm, 9 SO, 2.30 GAA, .934 sv%

Adjusted Value Brodeur (5 years)
2002-03 - 73 gm, 9 SO, 2.46 GAA, .916 sv%
2003-04 - 75 gm, 11 SO, 2.55 GAA, .922 sv%
2005-06 - 73 gm, 5 SO, 2.70 GAA, .916 sv%
2006-07 - 78 gm, 12 SO, 2.39 GAA, .929 sv%
2007-08 - 77 gm, 4 SO, 2.52 GAA, .923 sv%

Stats are a little off, I judged 1 shot bias as 1% on the totals. Hasek is clearly still better but the remainder of Brodeur's career smashed Hasek's.

Edit: Hasek's peak actually destroys Brodeur's peak now that I think of it

Last edited:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
With arena bias taken into effect, I would be interested to see Hasek's peak verses Brodeur's peak (last 7 years) since Hasek seems to be compared Brodeur's earlier years.

Me too. I'm sure that Hasek would still come out ahead, but the difference would be much less than those numbers make it look.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
I think you're underestimating Hasek's longevity. He was the best in the world at his position for nearly a decade. His peak was longer than Sawchuk's, and at least equally impressive. Dryden, Hall, and Brodeur never quite reached the same level of dominance in the opinion of most people.

Personally, I weigh a goalie's peak more than the other positions. As great as a forward or d-man may be, they need a reasonably strong supporting cast around them to win Stanley Cups. An all-time great goalie on top of his game can make a team of also-rans a contender.
hasek was also one of the best goalies of the '80s. not in the NHL, but this is not the top 100 NHLers.

and we do not know what his NHL accomplishments would have been if he had been in the NHL from the mid '80s. we also do not know what other goalies' (such as roy) accomplishments would have been.

hasek had great longevity. hasek is older than roy, and retired later.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
hasek was also one of the best goalies of the '80s. not in the NHL, but this is not the top 100 NHLers.

and we do not know what his NHL accomplishments would have been if he had been in the NHL from the mid '80s. we also do not know what other goalies' (such as roy) accomplishments would have been.

Aside from two seasons languishing as a backup, you could say that Hasek was the best goalie in his league from 1986 to 2001.

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
The shot counting numbers are interesting. Any idea why there are some weird aberrations in individual seasons? Look at San Jose. They usually are right around average in terms of counting shots, but in 2003, they over-counted shots at an average of 5.1? I can't remember anything about that year that would make me understand such a rapid swing. Nabokov held out and Kipprusoff played the first month or so of the season, and the Sharks gutted their entire team at the deadline, but that's about it.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Way to play around with the stats,

Play around with the stats? I hope you're not accusing me of tampering with evidence. I take that as a very serious accusation.

Link to evidence: here

I hope Hasek let in less goals, he played probably 10 games on average less then Brodeur each season.

You misunderstand. Hasek allowed 135 fewer goals than Brodeur despite facing 1,060 more shots. Games played has nothing to do with it - Hasek allowed fewer goals while facing significantly more shots.

Like I said in my post above, arena bias has been around for years but even a stats guy like you has ignored it.

It's unfair to accuse me of "ignoring" evidence that you brought up after I posted my argument.

Your link doesn't support your argument though. It says "In terms of New Jersey, it seems that the tendency for undercounting shots at Continental Airlines arena began during the 2001-02 season". This would affect one out of the nine years in my sample.

Hasek is still a great goaltender, but he isn't in the top tier with Roy and Plante when you include durability, longevity and playoffs.

Personally, my top tier is Hasek, Roy and Plante (probably in that order).

I do take exception to the "while on a weaker team" business though. If you're going to give Hasek credit for the "team" factor, you'd better give Brodeur credit for his gamebreaking puckhandling.

I think it's almost unquestionable that Hasek played on weaker defensive teams, and that has to be taken into account.

At the same time, Brodeur's puckhandling is a significant skill, and that needs to be taken into account too. I think in December I tried to quantify exactly how beneficial Brodeur's superior puckhandling and durability were, compared to Hasek's peak. Although Hasek is still ahead, Brodeur is surprisingly close. I'll see if I can dig up that post.

Last edited:

Infinite Vision*

I've never understood people knocking Hasek's longevity. He was drafted in 83, was an elite goalie before he came to the NHL, and was still an elite goalie in his 40's after the lockout. To me, Hasek clearly stands alone out of any goaltender in history, I just don't understand how some could not have him in their top 3 even.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I've never understood people knocking Hasek's longevity. He was drafted in 83, was an elite goalie before he came to the NHL, and was still an elite goalie in his 40's after the lockout. To me, Hasek clearly stands alone out of any goaltender in history, I just don't understand how some could not have him in their top 3 even.

The bolded is exactly how I feel.

If you want to rate Plante or Roy ahead of Hasek, be my guest, but there should be no one else in the conversation.

Reds4Life

Dec 24, 2007
Hasek is still playing by the way.
His team currently leads 2-0 in the finals of Czech Extraliga and Hasek just got shutout yesterday and his team won 1:0 :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad