HOH Top 70 Players of All Time (2009)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMachiavelli*

Everyone has bias, but not to the point of including an all-Canadian top 10? How does that even make sense?

Last edited by a moderator:

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Based on what?

Kharlamov didn't even dominate the Soviet league like any of those players dominated the NHL.

While Kharlamov has no place in any top 5 player, never mind top 5 Wingers list he is the type of player that can get over rated and glorified really quickly with his ankle injury, care of Bobby Clarke and flair on the ice along with his car accident and then untimely death.

These sorts of incidents go a long way in immortalizing a guy (and making him over rated).

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
While Kharlamov has no place in any top 5 player, never mind top 5 Wingers list he is the type of player that can get over rated and glorified really quickly with his ankle injury, care of Bobby Clarke and flair on the ice along with his car accident and then untimely death.

These sorts of incidents go a long way in immortalizing a guy (and making him over rated).

I agree, but I wanna see his justification. :laugh:

TheMachiavelli*

I agree, but I wanna see his justification. :laugh:

Have you ever seen the Summit Series? He made men look like boys. I want to see your justification for leaving him out of the top 5.

I think you are over-using this notion of Canadian hockey exceptionalism.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn

Fred Taylor

The Cyclone
Sep 20, 2011
Kharlamov is the most overrated player in the history of this sport. No way does he even come remotely close to being a top 10 player, Makarov was better IMO.

TheMachiavelli*

It is obviously delusional to argue with anyone who does not even have a Soviet Union/Russia player on their top 10.

Hockey is played outside of NA, just to let people know. Yes, even in the 70s,80s etc...

Rhiessan71

Just a Fool
Feb 17, 2003
Guelph, Ont
Visit site
It is obviously delusional to argue with anyone who does not even have a Soviet Union/Russia player on their top 10.

Hockey is played outside of NA, just to let people know. Yes, even in the 70s,80s etc...

You have to make your case though. You can't just come in here screaming bias and hope to get any where (or actually be taken seriously, as you might have noticed heh.)

And just because a country has been producing top level hockey players for a given time, that doesn't guarantee any of them a spot in the top 5, 10 or even 25.
The Yanks have been producing them almost as long as the Russians have and you don't see anyone screaming bias because Chelios is barely cracking the top 30 as the top Yank.

Sometimes there's a definite case for bias but mostly it's brought up irrationally and without much thought or research beforehand.
Best example was catching a whole host of posters claiming bias NA bias for Lidstrom not winning the Calder without actually checking for who did win it. That one still makes me laugh to this day.

TheMachiavelli*

You have to make your case though. You can't just come in here screaming bias and hope to get any where (or actually be taken seriously, as you might have noticed heh.)

And just because a country has been producing top level hockey players for a given time, that doesn't guarantee any of them a spot in the top 5, 10 or even 25.
The Yanks have been producing them almost as long as the Russians have and you don't see anyone screaming bias because Chelios is barely cracking the top 30 as the top Yank.

Sometimes there's a definite case for bias but mostly it's brought up irrationally and without much thought or research beforehand.
Best example was catching a whole host of posters claiming bias NA bias for Lidstrom not winning the Calder without actually checking for who did win it. That one still makes me laugh to this day.

Well of course there is a gargantuan bias, this is a Canadian forum. But after seeing the list it seems the people who voted are stuck in their little universe without much thought for the outside world and how it compares.

Rhiessan71

Just a Fool
Feb 17, 2003
Guelph, Ont
Visit site
Well of course there is a gargantuan bias, this is a Canadian forum. But after seeing the list it seems the people who voted are stuck in their little universe without much thought for the outside world and how it compares.

Listen dude, stop yippin and whinning and make your case then!!!

Yippin and yappin about bias or how "people are stuck in their own little universes" gets you no where fast.

Less yippin and yappin, more substance please.

Bear of Bad News

"The Worst Guy on the Site" - user feedback
Sep 27, 2005
Well of course there is a gargantuan bias, this is a Canadian forum.

It is? (Hint: it isn't).

But after seeing the list it seems the people who voted are stuck in their little universe without much thought for the outside world and how it compares.

I'm sure that you would have done better. Tell us about your little universe.

Sprague Cleghorn

User Registered
Aug 14, 2013
Edmonton, KY

You still haven't given a solid justification for Kharlamov at #2. The only thing you have done is dance around the bushes and given unsupported statements (USSR made Canada look like "boys" in '72).

I find it funny how Americans are viewed as arrogant and the Euros as humble in general but when it comes to hockey and GOAT discussions, it's the exact opposite. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad