HOH Top 70 Players of All Time (2009)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
I am not missing anything. What you are suggesting is that being a big fish in a little pond is the same as being a big fish in a big pond.

And what you are suggesting is... that it's impossible for a big fish to move to a big pond and find out he's still the big fish?

So basically because the best players in the world all came from Canada pre 1970ish they get a free pass and lower bar to pass, which is what it comes down to.

Having said that, if the best players pre-70ish all came from Canada, how did they have a lower bar to pass? Wouldn't they have set the bar (being, well, the best), and thus wouldn't it require addition of any "worse" non-Canadians to actually "lower the bar"?

Last edited:

Rob Scuderi

Sep 3, 2009
What exactly is the very top and outliers though?

Sure Wayne Gretzky is an outlier but really are guys finishing in the top 5,10 or 20 in any season really outliers?

It's virtually impossible to deny that to finish in the top 5,10,20 is more difficult in 2013 than in 1962 for example for 2 huge reasons.

1) the large makeup of the top 20 in any category of non traditional talent pool stream players, ie. not Canadian and

2) the greater amount of variance possible in a 30 team league where there are 30 top lines, 30 top PP units and 30 #1 Dmen ect...

Let's put it another way before the nHL there were 2 or 3 other league and leaders in those leagues, always a top 5,10 ect.

What is more impressive a constant top 5 in one of the various leagues pre NHL or a top 5 in a consolidated NHL circa 1930?

There really is only one answer and it applies then as it does now.

You can try to judge offensive value without just looking at point finishes. The percentage system defines the top tier and outliers.

Here's a post explaining how the presence of Europeans doesn't affect it as much as point finishes.

Hawkey Town 18 said:
Not nearly as much IMO. In order to affect the percentage system you have to be one of the top 2 scorers, which European players have been fairly often, but have they really had much of an impact on the percentage score? The ranking system can be affected by a large number of players. Let's look at the #10 North American the past two seasons and see what the impact of both the percentage and ranking system are without Europeans...

Rank Without Europeans: Martin St. Louis - 10th in scoring
Rank With Europeans: Martin St. Louis - 18th in scoring

Percentage Without Europeans: 79.6%
Percentage With Europeans: 76.3%

Rank Without Europeans: xxx - 10th in scoring
Rank With Europeans: xxx - 15th in scoring

Percentage Without Europeans: 74.5%
Percentage With Europeans: 73.7%

It looks to me like the ranking system shows a much bigger difference than the percentage system.
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=60379997&postcount=850

Rhiessan71

Just a Fool
Feb 17, 2003
Guelph, Ont
Visit site
The number of teams doesn't matter since it's still a % breakdown of all NHL players

Yeah because 7% of 21 teams is the same as 4% of 30 teams right?

Why the distraction and focus on just 2 countries?

Does the US, Sweden, Finland and other countries not exist in your world?

Sure they do but they were already in the NHL before the League expanded past 21 teams.

When the USA, Sweden and Finland started producing players good enough to be in the NHL, the majority of them were in the NHL.
The Russian's and Czech's on the other hand were held back. They obviously had some world class players that could have been in the NHL but weren't.
HOWEVER, once the they did start coming to the NHL, the League expanded from 21 to 30 teams shortly after and AGAIN, they do not account for 9 teams, not even close.

All I do know is that in the 80's, almost every team featured a top player or two, even the bad ones.
Today, I see a lot of players being used as top line players that would be considered 2nd liners in the 80's.

And just because the League has gone from 6 to 21 to 30 teams, that doesn't mean there has been an equal increase in Elite players. Evidence seems to actually suggest that that is not the case.

Last I checked the VAST majority of players we are talking about here are the Elite ones.
How many player's in that nationality make up consist of interchangeable tier III and IV players that vary the numbers from year to year?

At least in the 80's, it was actually lack of talent that kept you out of the league, not just lack of speed.
There used to be some real solid 3rd and 4th liners that could do more than just dump, chase, cycle and check even if they weren't the most fleet of foot.
I always look at a guy like Jason Allison. There was a guy with a ton of talent and creativity that made some slick plays. At least as purely talented and honestly more creative than most top guys in the league now but he skated like he was pulling a sled, so he was phased out.
So instead of getting to watch a guy that can control a game when the puck is on his stick and add offense, I watch guys with little to no creativity that can skate like the wind and cycle the puck for hours with it rarely amounting to anything.
Yep, that's fun to watch heh.

You keep spouting about changes to the game at length and I don't think anyone denies this (even if it hasn't happened as quickly or as harshly as you like to think) but the real question is are these changes indicative to producing and/or seeing better hockey and/or hockey players?
Faster, stronger...sure, better...I don't believe so.

Last edited:

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Let's put the 1960/2000 comparable in context.

Take your 100th player from 2000 and position him on each 1960 NHL team. What role would he have on each team? Would they make a 1960 team? Skaters you would be trying to find a spot for players like Chris Gratton, Mike York, Daymond Langkow, Robert Svehla, Martin Rucinsky.

Now compare the 1960 1st and 2nd AST with the 2000 version.

What context exactly are you providing here?

Taking your version of who the 100th guys are in 2000 and switching them with the elite top players of 1960?

I can do that with any era and show the AST guys are better.

Maybe you meant to show something else?

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Having said that, if the best players pre-70ish all came from Canada, how did they have a lower bar to pass? Wouldn't they have set the bar (being, well, the best), and thus wouldn't it require addition of any "worse" non-Canadians to actually "lower the bar"?

One of two things have to happen for the 2nd group, say post mid 90's Canadians to not matter that there is around 40% non Canadians in the top 20 lists.

The first would be that Canadians just aren't very good at hockey anymore.

The 2nd would be that they are but the non Canadians are so much better that any top Canadian list post mid 90's would pale in comparison to an pre 1970's list.

The 2 groups are simply being judged by different criteria and the defense that "the best are always the best regardless of where they come from" is simply garbage.

That type of thinking and viewpoint simply ignores the reality of the situation.

Either state that Canadians are really much worse post 90's or compare them apples to apples, ie Canadians to Canadians with the pre 70's guys.

I suspect the reason people either won't or can't grasp this concept is because their is a vested interest, misguided IMO, that a truly historical list and comparison of players needs to treat each era as equal when it clearly isn't.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
You can try to judge offensive value without just looking at point finishes. The percentage system defines the top tier and outliers.

Here's a post explaining how the presence of Europeans doesn't affect it as much as point finishes.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=60379997&postcount=850

Why are we only looking at part of the difference?

Pre 1970ish the majority of all NHLer's were Canadian, since then part of the increase in % and makeup has been from Europe yes, but the majority has been from the United states.

We then have to add up the impact from both streams to see how it affects Canadians.

Take the top 5, 10,15 Canadian scorers from the mid 90's and see how they ranked amongst themselves then amongst all players you will find the impact to be quite substantial.

and that's only the impact on points, what about post seasons awards?

Rob Scuderi

Sep 3, 2009
Why are we only looking at part of the difference?

Pre 1970ish the majority of all NHLer's were Canadian, since then part of the increase in % and makeup has been from Europe yes, but the majority has been from the United states.

We then have to add up the impact from both streams to see how it affects Canadians.

Take the top 5, 10,15 Canadian scorers from the mid 90's and see how they ranked amongst themselves then amongst all players you will find the impact to be quite substantial.

and that's only the impact on points, what about post seasons awards?

Sorry, what?

The whole point is to not look at ranks and tie offensive value to an elite standard that ignores nationality. I really don't think we're understanding one another.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Sorry, what?

The whole point is to not look at ranks and tie offensive value to an elite standard that ignores nationality. I really don't think we're understanding one another.

Sorry I don't follow you.

I'm not entirely sure how your point and the system you quoted reflects the differences in the makeup of the NHL.

The fact of the matter is that when people compare players they do look at how they scored compared to their piers on a season by season basis and ranking on a top 5,10,20 list does come into play.

As do post season awards and trophies.

If those winners are from other non Canadian countries then the current Canadian guys are competing against a higher standard right?

Rob Scuderi

Sep 3, 2009
Sorry I don't follow you.

I'm not entirely sure how your point and the system you quoted reflects the differences in the makeup of the NHL.

The fact of the matter is that when people compare players they do look at how they scored compared to their piers on a season by season basis and ranking on a top 5,10,20 list does come into play.

As do post season awards and trophies.

If those winners are from other non Canadian countries then the current Canadian guys are competing against a higher standard right?

My original post was about not looking at top 5, 10, 20, and nothing to do with awards or trophies. I'm responding to your point that having different talent streams makes it tougher to finish in whatever bracket you choose and suggesting you consider another metric that avoids this problem. You asked how outliers and top tiers are defined and this system accomplishes that.

The most basic percentage system simply divides a player's point total by the #2 scorer in the league that year. You end up with a percentage score that gives you a look into a player's offensive value that has nothing to do with how many other people accomplished the same thing or what nationality they were. Here you can try to judge players on what they did instead of how many others did it too, or where they were born making it tougher to rank wherever. Yes awards and trophies are generally given to players who score lots of points - and as a result have a high percentage score.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
My original post was about not looking at top 5, 10, 20, and nothing to do with awards or trophies. I'm responding to your point that having different talent streams makes it tougher to finish in whatever bracket you choose and suggesting you consider another metric that avoids this problem. You asked how outliers and top tiers are defined and this system accomplishes that.

The most basic percentage system simply divides a player's point total by the #2 scorer in the league that year. You end up with a percentage score that gives you a look into a player's offensive value that has nothing to do with how many other people accomplished the same thing or what nationality they were. Here you can try to judge players on what they did instead of how many others did it too, or where they were born making it tougher to rank wherever. Yes awards and trophies are generally given to players who score lots of points - and as a result have a high percentage score.

Okay I understand what you are saying but it's only one way of looking at players against their piers. It's "Lords" system and is quite useful and it's used almost exclusively for points.

But what do you do for goal scoring say in the 90's, or other years when the top 2 goal scorers are not from Canada?

Let's take 08 when the top guys finished like this,

AO 65
Kovy 52
Iggy 50 1st Canadian
Malkin 47
Boyes 43 2nd Candain
Zetts 43
Gaborik 42
Heatley 41 3rd Canuck (even though he was born in the US)

Now Heatley is a 95% goal scorer among Canadians (41\43) but a 79% guy after the 2nd guy on the list in Kovy (41/52).

And that's only for Canadians, how do we treat AO, Kovy, Malkin and Zetts?

They all scored as many or more as the 2nd highest Canadian in 08.

This is the problem here in why people don't want to use an apples to apples comp over time, they don't like the results.

Canada is the best in the world in hockey over time it would be easy to compare Canadians and Canadians and do a running side by side list with other non Canadian players and consider some integration or formula.

Truth be told though formulas rarely work and are too rigid but some refuse to even acknowledge the differences which is the major problem here IMO.

The same problem exists in SC and trophy voting counting in a 6-30 team league, in larger league there is simply more room for variance.

In a 6 team league being the 4th best Dman and a 2nd team all star still means that you are 4th out of around 30 guys in total.

In a 30 team league you are 4th out of around 180.

One is not like the other and needs to be acknowledged.

But once again is that how people make these comps? I'm willing to bet that more people look at the top 5,10,20 scoring (and it's even worse when you do it the same way for a 6 team and 30 team league).

The real question is do people really take the differences and impacts of the feeder of the talent streams seriously and many answers in this thread and others clearly show that they don't

Rob Scuderi

Sep 3, 2009
Okay I understand what you are saying but it's only one way of looking at players against their piers. It's "Lords" system and is quite useful and it's used almost exclusively for points.

But what do you do for goal scoring say in the 90's, or other years when the top 2 goal scorers are not from Canada?

Yes I use it for points, not goals or assists. What I do is say there's my standard and compare everyone to it regardless of nationality.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Yes I use it for points, not goals or assists. What I do is say there's my standard and compare everyone to it regardless of nationality.

I think it probably has less of an impact on points but still if we take the years 9 and 10 it has quite the affect

Here is 09

Malkin 113
AO 110
Sid 103 Top Canadian
Dats 97
Parise 94
Gets 91 2nd Canadian
Kovy 91
Iggy 89 3rd Canuck

So once again Iggy is 97.8% of the 2nd best Canuck 89/91 but only 80.9 of the top overall points guy AO 89/110.

In 10 the breakdown was like this

Hank 112
Sid109 top Canuck
AO 109
Backstrom 101
Stamkos 95 2nd Canuck
MSL 94 3rd Canuck

MSL is 98.9 of the 2nd Canuck and 86.2 of the 2nd guy overall, would have been less if not for AO suspension but that's neither here nor there.

It's a different standard from which the 06 guys are being measured by.

Once again there seems to be little reason not to compare the best Canadians against the same standard over time, ie. the best Canadians.

Last edited:

Rob Scuderi

Sep 3, 2009
I think it probably has less of an impact on points but still if we take the years 9 and 10 it has quite the affect

Here is 09

Malkin 113
AO 110
Sid 103 Top Canadian
Dats 97
Parise 94
Gets 91 2nd Canadian
Kovy 91
Iggy 89 3rd Canuck

So once again Iggy is 97.8% of the 2nd best Canuck 89/91 but only 80.9 of the top overall points guy AO 89/110.

It's a different standard from which the 06 guys are being measured by.
Your utmost concern is where the top talent was born, I haven't said a word about it nor care to. I care about measuring top tiered talent. This might not perfectly solve your Euro complex every single season, but it's an improvement over counting point finishes that you'll see looking at more than two seasons.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Your utmost concern is where the top talent was born, I haven't said a word about it nor care to. I care about measuring top tiered talent. This might not perfectly solve your Euro complex every single season, but it's an improvement over counting point finishes that you'll see looking at more than two seasons.

My concern is the difference and the context between a player say in
a 6 team all Canadian league in 1965,
a 16 team all Canadian league in 73 (along with the WHA)
and a 30 team fully integrated league in say 06.

It doesn't matter if one uses a % of the 2nd top scorer or their rank in the top 5,10 or 20 to say that these 3 time periods should be treated the same just makes the comparison unequal and unfair.

In the end the conclusions derived from not accounting for the differences affect the result IMO.

Really I fail to see how one could argue otherwise.

Rhiessan71

Just a Fool
Feb 17, 2003
Guelph, Ont
Visit site
My concern is the difference and the context between a player say in
a 6 team all Canadian league in 1965,
a 16 team all Canadian league in 73 (along with the WHA)
and a 30 team fully integrated league in say 06.

It doesn't matter if one uses a % of the 2nd top scorer or their rank in the top 5,10 or 20 to say that these 3 time periods should be treated the same just makes the comparison unequal and unfair.

In the end the conclusions derived from not accounting for the differences affect the result IMO.

Really I fail to see how one could argue otherwise.

You're still trying to punish the O6 players for not playing against competition that didn't even exist at the time.
What part of that do you not understand???

You keep saying that my Japanese example is a diversion when it is EXACTLY the truth of what you're saying!
IF the Japanese become a force in Hockey 20 years from now, what is to stop someone like you from coming forward and saying that today's players weren't playing against the very best because the Japanese weren't in the league yet?

But please continue avoiding answering by calling it a diversion.
Just a heads up though, you're not fooling anyone.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
You're still trying to punish the O6 players for not playing against competition that didn't even exist at the time.
What part of that do you not understand???

You keep saying that my Japanese example is a diversion when it is EXACTLY the truth of what you're saying!
IF the Japanese become a force in Hockey 20 years from now, what is to stop someone like you from coming forward and saying that today's players weren't playing against the very best because the Japanese weren't in the league yet?

But please continue avoiding answering by calling it a diversion.
Just a heads up though, you're not fooling anyone.

You really don't understand the difference between the different eras do you.

No one is debating that the 06 guys had any serious competition for player talent.

But you on the other hand are pretending that it's the same pool when clearly it hasn't been for quite a while and expansion certainly didn't cover the difference in the early years, ie 70's when expansion occurred in a Canadian only league thus diluting the NHL by quite a bit, something that didn't begin to get covered until the later 80's.

Last edited:

Rhiessan71

Just a Fool
Feb 17, 2003
Guelph, Ont
Visit site
You really don't understand the difference between the different eras do you.

No I actually do quite well. I have no issue evaluating the strength of the league year to year.
But your attempt to take away from a Bobby Orr because he might have played in some years that were weaker than some others does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to explain how he was able to out-perform other stars and superstars who played under the same conditions and in the exact same "weaker" league.
Not to mention how he was able to still be one of the very best in the world in '76 despite having nothing left in one knee and just a little more than that in the other.

At some point one simply has to conclude that Orr would have been one of the very best players ever in any era.
It's the same with Gretzky or Howe or Lemieux or Jagr or Bourque or Harvey or Lidstrom.

You keep taking issue with how many Canadian's are in the all-time lists but again, the league was ONLY Canadian's for close to 70% of it's existence so of course that's going to happen.

Like seriously, what's your problem?
What non-Canadian players aren't getting the respect you think they deserve? Jagr, Lidstrom, Kurri, Selanne, Forsberg ect ect have all been given ample respect.
As have many of the top Russians that didn't even play their primes in the NHL like Makarov, like Larionov, like Fetisov and players that never even played in the NHL like Kharlamov, like Tretiak.

So what's this really about? That you feel Crosby, who has only played about 75% of 8 seasons and counting so far, isn't getting the respect you feel he should have vs past players?
Cause it sure seems that way and that's just silly.
That you think it's harder to dominate today? That's a joke too. Lemeiux had no trouble making a mockery of the league at 37 despite age and health issues.
And Gretzky, DOUBLING the production of any average top line player, of all nationalities I might add, for more than a decade! You think that was easy to do? You think that was easier to do than what Crosby is doing now?
Bourque, Jagr, Selanne, Lidstrom, Chelios, Mark freakin Recchi for pete's sake all say your views are wrong.
Don't make me laugh.

No one is debating that the 06 guys had any serious competition for player talent.

But you on the other hand are pretending that it's the same pool when clearly it hasn't been for quite a while and expansion certainly didn't cover the difference in the early years, ie 70's when expansion occurred in a Canadian only league thus diluting the NHL by quite a bit, something that didn't begin to get covered until the later 80's.

Who the Frig is saying it's the same pool?
And if an increase in raw pool size doesn't remotely guarantee an equal increase in top, Elite players then seriously what the Frig does it matter???

You can't prove that there's more Elite players in the league now than there were in the 80's.
All you can prove is that there are more players period!
More players just means more players, not more talent. Possibility of more talent sure but that's IT!

Throughout history, you can pick any player you want and they will have played against other players from other era's and those players will have played against even more players from other era's.
We can compare Orr to Lafleur, Lafleur to Bossy, Bossy to Gretzky, Gretzky to Lemieux, Lemieux to Jagr on and on and we get the CONTEXT of those players and their era to era.
Not to mention best on best international tourny's dating back to the 70's.

The problem is not about us not finding the "proper context", it's about you either not being able to or wanting to find it.
It really is right in front of your face.

Last edited:

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
If we were only considering the first 18-20 yrs of Gordie Howe's career or year #3-23 for example to include his 103 point season....then would he still be considered higher than Lemieux?

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
If we were only considering the first 18-20 yrs of Gordie Howe's career or year #3-23 for example to include his 103 point season....then would he still be considered higher than Lemieux?

I for one take everything Howe did into account, including WHA and he is a solid #2 all time forward for me, only Wayne and his greatness are ahead of him.

An interesting, but probably fruitless thread, would be at which season did Wayne Pass Howe as the all time #1 guy (Orr guys aside).

I'm a huge career guy and have never really given it a thought since we know what Wayne did in his entirety but what if he was injured by Suter in 91 and never came back would people still take him over Howe?

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn

I would rate him higher than Lemieux. IMO, Howe peaked just as high as Mario (not quite as high offensively, but with a much better all-round game). But then there's the 20 straight years of finishing in the top 5 in scoring in Howe's favor.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
And what you are suggesting is... that it's impossible for a big fish to move to a big pond and find out he's still the big fish?

Not impossible at all, but can we take it for granted?

They didn't "lower the bar", but if it is true that the bar was raised afterwards then the earlier level can only be described as lower in a comparison between the eras.

If Japan is a force in 20 years than it's fair to say that the top scorers (defenders, goalies etc) of 2033 had to face tougher competition than those of 2013. (Assuming the tradition hockey forces continue to produce top players.) The stars of 2013 are playing against the best of their time, but that might not be as good as the best of another time.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
As a Lemieux fan I have no problem with him being slightly behind Howe. Howe spent more years as the best and that's a huge asset on a list like this.

I'll never get why Potvin is listed behind Bourque and Lidstrom. He's clear cut better IMO.

Rhiessan71

Just a Fool
Feb 17, 2003
Guelph, Ont
Visit site
As a Lemieux fan I have no problem with him being slightly behind Howe. Howe spent more years as the best and that's a huge asset on a list like this.

I'll never get why Potvin is listed behind Bourque and Lidstrom. He's clear cut better IMO.

Peak, I agree. I only have Orr ahead of Potvin for D-men peak albeit by a large margin.
It's career and length of peak that shoots them ahead for me.
Lidstrom's peak was almost as long as Potvin's entire career, just like Bourque's peak is almost as long as Lidstrom's entire career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad