HOH Top 60 Goaltenders of All Time (2024 Edition) - Round 2, Vote 3

The Pale King

Go easy on those Mango Giapanes brother...
Sep 24, 2011
Zeballos
Interesting to read takes about Dick Irvin's Canadiens squads that make them sound like the 80s Oilers in terms of firewagon hockey - "don't care if they give up 5 as long as they win".

Some of the Lundqvist takes focusing on GF make them sound like the 2003 Ducks or something. They were a team that consistently spent to the cap, had a lot of talent on the rosters and if anything those "6th in wins, 21st in GF" stat makes it sound to me like they created a defensively stifling environment, one that probably benefitted Lundqvist's numbers overall. Was the money generally well-spent? Well, certainly not always, but we're not talking about the pre-lockout Rangers either.

I mean the year Lundqvist's Rangers made it to the SCF in 2014, the Kings team they lost to was 25th in GF. When they lost to the Devils in the ECF in 2012, the Devils were 11th in regular season goals for, while the Rangers were 13th. The Cup winning Kings were 29th in GF. It's pretty clear you could be a competitive team during Lundqvist's prime on teams with middling overall GF numbers, at least in the regular season.

Would anyone say either of those Kings rosters were lacking in talent despite finishing an average of 27th in GF in their Cup seasons? I certainly wouldn't.

Following the finals appearance, the next three seasons the Rangers were 3rd, 7th, and 4th in GF in the regular season. One of the dangers of looking at GF over such a large period is that these seasons get lost in the mix.

Does any of this say anything about Lundqvist's actual play? No, but let's not pretend he played his career in front of the Jacques Lemaire Wild either.

Last edited:

blogofmike

Dec 16, 2010
my cousin just said Bobrovsky has a shot at a Rushmore career.

...he's serious
About late night drinking?

Interesting to read takes about Dick Irvin's Canadiens squads that make them sound like the 80s Oilers in terms of firewagon hockey - "don't care if they give up 5 as long as they win".

Some of the Lundqvist takes focusing on GF make them sound like the 2003 Ducks or something. They were a team that consistently spent to the cap, had a lot of talent on the rosters and if anything those "6th in wins, 21st in GF" stat makes it sound to me like they created a defensively stifling environment, one that probably benefitted Lundqvist's numbers overall. Was the money generally well-spent? Well, certainly not always, but we're not talking about the pre-lockout Rangers either.

I mean the year Lundqvist's Rangers made it to the SCF in 2014, the Kings team they lost to was 25th in GF. When they lost to the Devils in the ECF in 2012, the Devils were 11th in regular season goals for, while the Rangers were 13th. The Cup winning Kings were 29th in GF. It's pretty clear you could be a competitive team during Lundqvist's prime on teams with middling overall GF numbers, at least in the regular season.

Would anyone say either of those Kings rosters were lacking in talent despite finishing an average of 27th in GF in their Cup seasons? I certainly wouldn't.

Following the finals appearance, the next three seasons the Rangers were 3rd, 7th, and 4th in GF in the regular season. One of the dangers of looking at GF over such a large period is that these seasons get lost in the mix.

Does any of this say anything about Lundqvist's actual play? No, but let's not pretend he played his career in front of the Jacques Lemaire Wild either.

Regular season GF doesn't carry into the playoffs. They are an indicator of quality, but Jonathan Quick won 2 games in 2014 while giving up 4 GA.

That's notable because Henrik Lundqvist never won a playoff game at the 4-GA mark in his entire career.

NYR went to the Finals with Lundqvist going 4-3 in 2-GA games, with another 3 overtime losses where he gave up the 3rd goal in overtime.

9 of New York's 13 wins came in 0 or 1 GA games from Lundqvist.

That means 0 wins with 3-GA for Hank and the Blueshirts, while the 2014 Kings gave Quick 2 with 3-GA and 2 wins with 4-GA.

----

Or if you want to compare with the 2003 Wild...

1) Lundqvist produced 9 0-GA or 1-GA games. Minnesota only had 2.
2) While Lundqvist was 4-3 (or 4-6 over 60 mins) in 2-GA games, the Wild were 7-2 (7-3 counting 3-GA OT losses).

So yeah, Lundqvist wasn't on the Jacques Lemaire Wild.

But if he was, he just might have won them the Stanley Cup.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.youtube.com

I don't want to belabor this point too much, but it's sort of my thing haha

The Rangers made a pretty significant change around 2014 to actually use the middle of the rink and actually employ some stretch passing. And they had a fairly unique roster. Guys that could stretch and go: like Kreider and Hagelin. Guys that could stretch and hold: like Nash, Hayes, and Stepan. Backed by d-men who weren't as untalented as their numbers suggested: like Boyle, McDonagh, and Klein.

They had some dynamic playmakers too: St. Louis, Brassard, Zuccarello, and a much less dynamic, but super smart Stepan.

It was really a pretty well put together roster, especially up front. At least, for not having a super star or even probably a semi-star at that point.

Anyhow, they really played a good two-way game during that time. The Tortorella days were closer to the Lemaire Wild (obviously, not quite that, but directionally)...except the Rangers were asked to leave their feet for shot blocks a lot more.

The 2012 Kings were basically a league average offense after Sutter took over, while playing great defense. The 2013 team scored. The 2014 team scored with Gaborik. I wouldn't say "they lacked talent" but they certainly aren't a team of needle-movers. It was a grindy team that had more finish than they had setup.

Kopitar is a setup guy. But a lot of the rest of that lineup would really prefer to play downhill and shoot: Carter, Williams, Toffoli, Brown, Pearson, freakin' Dwight King probably had 8 assists in the NHL. Doughty can do everything, but if you green light him to shoot the lights out, he becomes Ray Bourque. That's a different type of roster entirely for me. It's not untalented, but it's not a dynamic roster by any means. I don't know how to check this, but I wouldn't be surprised they were about the bottom of the league in team assists or their G:A ratio, especially at even strength, was at odds with the normal 1.74 per goal or whatever the number is/was...

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
Here is my post about Vezina in the SCF from last round.
1916 Finals
The Canadiens lose to Portland 2-0. Vezina lets in a goal in the first and in the second.
Canadiens 0 - Rosebuds 1
The Saskatoon Phoenix - March 21, 1916
Vezina is specific is not mentioned
Smothering the National Hockey Association champions with speed and outplaying in all departments, Portland, Pacific Coast Hockey League champions, easily mastered Canadiens tonight.

The Canadiens defeat Portland 2-1. Hab stars Lalonde and Laviolette do not play. All goals in first period
Canadiens 1 - Rosebuds 1
The Saskatoon Phoenix - March 23, 1916
Vezina Played Well. Canadiens played a better defence than was shown on Monday, but Vezina, in goal for the locals, was the mainstay. Vezina shoved aside numerous shots that appeared likely to be sure coutners.

The Canadiens defeat Portland 6 -3. A big brawl between Lalonde and Moose Johnson causes the police to interrupt.
Portland opened scoring, but were tied by Montreal. 1-1 after 1. 4-2 Montreal after 2. Game falls apart after the brawl. Vezina is not mentioned in specific
Canadiens 2 - Rosebuds 1
The Saskatoon Phoenix - March 23, 1916
"Newsy" Lalonde, probably the best known professional hockey player in Eastern Canada and who played two seasons at the coast, was in the centre of the crucial mix-up. Shortly after the final period began, Lalone made an end to end rush, which was terminated by Irvine, the Portland cover-point. Lalodne turned on Irvine, back checking him. Johnson, Portland's poiint, charged Lalonde from behind, knocking him to the ice and then started at the Canadien player with his fists. Lalonde quicjly came to his feet, but he was then attacked by Oatman, who jumped in to help Johnson out. The brought a general mix-up...Referee Pulford and Assisant Brrennan were re-enforced by Chief of Police Moffat and a constable and order restored. Oatman and Johnson were benched.

Portland defeats the Canadiens 6-5. Portland opens up the game 1-0 in the first. Eventualyl it gets to 3-0 in the second, before Montreal makes it 4-3. Portland scored 3 in the third to win 6-5.
Canadiens 2 - Rosebuds 2
Vezina is not mentioned is specifc

Montreal defeats Portland 2-1 to win the Cup.
Canadiens 3 - Rosebuds 2

The Saskatoon Phoenix - March 31, 1916
Goldie Prodgers, who was used as a substitute by the Canadiens throughout the greater part of the NHA season and who has been the sensation of the world's professional championship series, shares with Newsy Lalonde the main credit for tonight's victory.
The Montreal Daily Mail - March 31, 1916
The Canadiens defence held them out in good style and Vezina was only troubled with long shots.

1917 Finals
Montreal defeats Seattle 8-4
Canadiens 1 - Metropolitans 0

The Leader - March 19, 1917
Pitre and Vezina are Real Stars. Vezina was peppered with fives times as many shots as the Seattle goal-tender, but he fended the most difficult shots with ease and saves his goal despite a rapid fire bombardment...... Seattle could not stop Vezina from turning back their own tried for the goal.

Seattle defeats Montreal 6-1
Canadiens 1 - Metropolitans 1
Vezina, clearly, does not have a good game. He let's in a goal 9 minutes in and it just gets more and more out of hand

Seattle defeats Montreal 4-1
Canadiens 1 - Metropolitans 2
The Calgary Daily Herald - March 24, 1917
Marvelous goal-keeping by both Vezina and Holmes.....Setting a dazzling pace from the face off, the coast champions kept up an incessant bombardment on the Canadiens citadel only to be turned back by Vezina. Holmes at the other end frustrated more than one Canadien attack, playing one of the most brilliant games of his career. It was ten minutes after the start that Morris sagged Vezina's net for the first marker and for the next thirty minutes the teams battled without a tally.......Mets won by outgaming the visitors and being able to stand up under the strain of a gruelling struggle. They had more shots on the Canadien net than the visitors were able to plant in Holmes direction and it was only Vezina's wonderful work that baffles description that kept the teams fairly even for the major portion of the night. Vezina's performance has never been equalled in the history of hockey in the west and with anyone else in the Canadien net Seattle score would have been running into double figures..... Montreal owes Vezina a medal for keeping the score down.

Seattle defeats Montreal 9-1
Canadiens 1 - Metropolitans 3
The Saskatoon Phoenix - March 27, 1917
Vezina worked harder than ever as the Mets were satisfied to take chances and to leave their goal open.

The Toronto World - March 27, 1917
Seattle had beautiful comibination at all times and worked in close to the Canadien goal almost at will.... Canadiens were never in it and any attempt they made at the offensive was smothered by the pretty and effective back-checking of the new cup holders.

1919 Finals
Montreal is shelled 9-0
Canadiens 0 - Metropolitans 1

Montreal wins 4-2. Newsy Lalonde is the star with all four goals
Canadiens 1 - Metropolitans 1
The Saskatoon Phoenix - March 24, 1919
Vezina stopped a flock of hard ones while Hall also showed up in spots.

Montreal loses 7-2
Another Montreal shelling

Montreal and Seattle tie 0-0 in double OT. Mets generally outplayed the Habs.
The Leader - March 27, 1919
Vezina proved a brick wall.... Vezina stopped a number of nearly tallies..... Vezina saved Montreal's bacon a number a number of times

Montreal tops Seattle 4-3 in OT.
Canadiens 2 - Metropolitans 2
Vezina is not mentioned

Game 6 is cancelled to influenza

1924 Finals
Habs win 6-1. Rookie Morenz scores a hattrick and Cleghorn is noted for his defensive ability
Canadiens 1 - Tigers 0

Habs win 3-0.
Canadiens 2 - Tigers 0
The Leader - March 26, 1924

Vezina cleared a hot one from Gardiner...Vezina batted the puck into the air...Vezina stopped a sure one from Wilson's clever pass... Vezina batted one out from Wilson ... Crawford gave Vezina a hard one... Vezina made a sparking save from Dutton who went through alone ... Vezina saved two beauties from Oatman and WIlson ... Wilson went through the defence but Vezina saved.... Vezina made a great save.

The Calgary Daily Herald - March 26, 1924

Vezina Impregnable Under Rain of Sizzling Shots.
They were beaten by a worthy title set, a team that fought back gamely with Vezina in the nets as the outstanding star.... Vezina is unbeatable
A few pictures. Vezina is the clear MVP of the game.
oFaITzd.jpg

BBOA3op.jpg

1925 Finals
Cougars win 5-2 and are thoroughly outplayed. Morenz takes a while to get going and Coutu makes gaffs.
Canadiens 0 - Cougars 1
The Montreal Gazette - March 23, 1925
At no time did Canadiens show the brand of hockey they were supposed to give.
Vezina was cool and dependable in the Canadien's citadel and was not his fault that the early scores were registered.
Vezina was right on the job.
Fraser was foiled by a one-handed catch by Vezina.
Vezina made two saves in rapid succession.

Cougars win 3-1. Victoria's defence is noted throughout
Canadiens 0 - Cougars 2
The Leader - March 24, 1925
At the outset Victoria forced the play and Vezina was called upon to use all his cunning and keep his net cleared.
The Icelanders parted the Canadien defence and after Vezina made two saves Frederickson wafted the puck into the net for the second goal.

Montreal wins 4-2 on the back of Morenz hattrick
Canadiens 1 – Cougars 2

The Border Cities Star – March 28, 1925
Frederickson made a wonderful play and went in on top of Vezina, but failed

Foyston shot out again, but Vezina saved”

The Leader– March 28, 1925

The Cougars had more success than the Frenchmen at parting the opposing defence, but when it came to outguessing Vezina, they found a master was on the front end of the hemp.

Towards the close of the period, Vezina left his charge three times to smother the efforts of Meeking, Frederickson, and Halderson. His out-guessing of Meeking was a brilliant play

Victoria torches Montreal 6-1
Canadiens 1 – Cougars 3

The Leader – March 31, 1925

Despite the terrific pressure by Victoria, Vezina failed to ease up on any more shots.

The Frenchmen made a number of brilliant openings, but Holmes was in phenomenal form and outshone his rival Vezina

Attack after attack whirled in on top of Vezina and only the miraculous work of the Montrealer kept the puck out

Foyston shot and Vezina got a big hand for his brilliant stop.

Vezina made another fine stop on Hart’s drive

Vezina threw out Loughlin’s liner

Hart lifted a high one to Vezina, who saved.

Foyston went through the defence and sent in another, which Vezina got with his knee.

Vezina kicked out a fast one from Fraser.

So this is every Stanley Cup game Vezina played. He certainly has some misses, but he repeatedly puts up big performances. I think it's important to note when he gets high praise despite letting in a lot of goals. For my money, he's the best money goalie of the era.

Montreal was typically firm defensively, but it's also clear that Coutu was a weak spot. Cleghorn was elite, but being penalized all the time hurt the team.

There is a common thread in all the news reports from ~1912-1925. He's never the clearcut best goalie, but he's always right there. It's Vezina and Lehman. Vezina and Benedict. Vezina and Holmes. Even when the Habs were weak he is getting high praise.

As I've gone through these 15 years of newspapers another thing has jumped out to me. Nighbor is talked about extraordinarily favourably. Even as late as the 1927 Cup he's getting praise. I think it's relevant as Benedict's prime overlaps with Nighbor's AND Gerard's. There's a real argument for #2 premerger goalie between Benedict and Lehman. I don't think it's a 1a/1b thing for Vezina/Benedict. I think it's a 1 for Vezina and 2a/2b for Benedict and Lehman.

After doing all this reading I'm settling into Vezina being the goaltending King pre-Gardiner. I think he should go high this round. I have him neck and neck with Tretiak. He was regarded as the first true goalie superstar and kept that mantle until he got sick.

I've included below his playoff games outside the Stanley Cup Finals.

1914 Playoffs
Habs beat Toronto 2-0 in a total goal 2 game series

Translated from French
Le Temps – March 10, 1914
Toronto will have to score at least three points to gain the upper hand and as Vezina is an unusual goalkeeper, Jack Marshall's players will not have it easy.

Toronto beats Montreal 6-0 to win the series 6-2

The Toronto World – March 12, 1914
Torontos had had considerable trouble in beating Vezina in most of the games.
Vezina, in the nets, did not have a night off, as one might suspect from the score: in fact, he gave a good exhibition, as he must have stopped a regular rainstorm of shots.

1917 Playoffs
Montreal beats the Senators 5-2 in a 2 game total goal series

The Montreal Daily Mail – March 8, 1917
All the shots that they directed at Vezina were from long range and easily handled by the goaltend.
Gerard gave Vezina a hard one.
Denneny had an excellent opening to even the score, but Vezina displayed his ability to save at critical moments.
Merrill made a nice rush, but Vezina turned his shot aside.
Vezina made a grand save on Gerard’s shot.

Senators win 4-2, but Montreal wins the series 7-6

No relevant comments

1918 Playoffs
Toronto beats Montreal 7-3 in a 2-game total goal series

The Calgary Daily Herald – March 12, 1918

Vezina had no chance to save.
Vezina stopped, but Randall recovered and scored as he fell over a bunch of players piled up in a heap at the goal.

Montreal beats Toronto 4-3 to lose series 10-7

No relevant comments

1919 Playoffs
Montreal beats Ottawa 8-4 in a best of seven series
Montreal 1 Ottawa 0

Not covered by any English-language newspapers

Montreal beats Ottawa 5-3
Montreal 2 Ottawa 0

No comments

Montreal beats Ottawa 6-3
Montreal 3 Ottawa 0

No comments

Ottawa beats Montreal 6-3
Montreal 3 Ottawa 1

No comments

Montreal beats Ottawa 4-2
Montreal 4 Ottawa 1

No comments

What can I say, outside of some mild praise for Lalonde, this series gets very little coverage

1923 Playoffs
Ottawa beats Montreal 2-0 in a 2-game total goal series

Le Canada – March 8, 1923
Translated from French
We saw hockey there with indescribable goalkeeping exploits, sensational races of precise throws by Vezina and Benedict.

Montreal beats Ottawa 2-1 to lose the series 3-2

The Morning Leader - March 10, 1923
Vezina played a magnificent game in the nets for the visitors. He seemed to be absolutely impassable and time and again took the pep out of the Ottawa forwards by his uncanny work. At the end of the second period he had stopped 39 shots, while at the finish he was over 50.

1924 Playoffs
Montreal beats Ottawa 1-0 in a 2-game total goal series

Le Canada – March 10, 1924
Vezina stopped a dangerous blow launched by Denneny

Montreal beats Ottawa 4-2 to win series 5-2

The Morning Leader - March 12, 1924
The attacks were no use against the back-checking of the forwards and the great work of Vezina.

The Montreal Gazette - March 12, 1924
The speed of Morenz and the clever goal keeping of Vezina held the present champions well in check.

1925 Playoffs
Montreal beats Toronto 3-2 in a 2-game total goal series

The Morning Leader - March 12, 1925
Day, Dye, and Neville gave Vezina a busy session.
Dye got back in the action and signalized his return with a deadly shot which Vezina cleared.

Montreal beats Toronto 2- 0 to win series 5-2

The Morning Leader - March 14, 1925

Vezina Shines As Toronto Is Again Whipped
Vezina was unbeatable in the Canadiens’ net. Though Vezina was the team’s star, Sprague Cleghorn and Coutu were great defensively.
Vezina helped them immensely, but was given great protection.
Dye got inside only to have Vezina make a brilliant save.
St. Patricks again had the advantage of the extra player but Vezina was their stumbling block.
St. Patricks tried hard to get a goal, but, although they bombarded Vezina from all angles, he was unbeatable.

Not a whole lot to gleam from all these, other than some pretty hefty praise in 1925.
The newspaper coverage for regular playoffs outside the Stanely Cup itself is quite poor.

But there you have it. Every Vezina playoff game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad