HOH 2022-23 Project: Top-60 Pre-Merger Players of All-Time Pre-Discussion thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Just a random thought, but I have a feeling that there's going to be more variance in these lists than any project the board has seen before.

All about how high people put Bowie, because then based on Bowie's placement the 00s stars need to get ranked appropriately relative to him like Ernie Russell.

Wouldn't be shocked by people making a "Big-4" of pre-consolidation of Nighbor/Taylor/Lalonde/Bowie

However I assume most people's #4 will be either Vezina or Cleghorn

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I get the guy has done the most research on this era of anyone, but unless he's an active participant I'm steering clear of relying on a lot of his statistics. They have value of course, but as I tried to reproduce them with the scant instructions on his blog it's just opaque enough to be impossible to reproduce which he fully acknowledges as there are enough fudges in there to open a candy store in Banff.

I'm treating his meritious man lists as people who should be considered but will fully ignore them for rankings.

Edit: His positions are somewhat incorrect. Taylor is a CP/Rover/Center and Lester played a fair amount of Rover besides P & CP

I'm trying to steer clear of "engineering" the list or trying to meet specific quotas. Obviously if your list has 76 forwards and 4 defenders, maybe a re-evaluation is in order, but I think this is a project where building a clear consensus probably isn't likely to happen and needn't be the goal.

Do guys from the 1800s get dinged for short careers? Do goalies from an era where regular players could sub in at the position and not significantly handicap their team get left out in the cold? I think it's going to come down to personal taste a lot more than other projects, and I think that's fine. Personally I think it would be great if somebody went out and built a case for Bowie or McGee or Trihey or somebody else as the greatest player of the era, whether or not anyone else is convinced of it.

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Quoting myself from the ATD Dishing Dirt thread (full of information)

1925 Maclean's list with "voters" listing their All-Star team to the present. A useful data point from contemporary observers

W.A Hewitt - Toronto Star

G: Percy Leseur
D: Hod Stuart
D: Eddie Gerard
C: Newsy Lalonde
RW: George Richardson
LW: Tommy Phillips

Lester Patrick

G: Hugh Lehman
D: Sprague Cleghorn
RW: Arthur Farrell
C: Cyclone Taylor
LW: Tom Phillips

J.E. Abern - Halifax Herald

G: John Ross Roach
D: Alan Davidson
RW: Dubbie Kerr
C: Mickey MacKay
LW: Newsy Lalonde

Tommy Gorman

G: Georges Vezina
RW: Scott Davidson
C: Frank Nighbor
LW: George Hay

W.J. Morrison - Montreal Gazette

(Modern)
G: Clint Benedict
D: Georges Boucher
RW: Babe Dye
C: Billy Burch
LW: Cy Dennenay

(Old)
G: Mike Merritt
D: Mike Grant
D: Harvey Pulford
RW: Jim Gardner
C: Frank McGee
LW: Tom Phillips

Sandy Hook (?)

RW: Scotty Davidson
C: Russell Bowie
LW: Harry Watson

Also has kind words for F. Frederickson, T. Phillips, B. Dye. Vezina and E. Gerard

Bruce Boreham - Winnipeg Tribune

D: Joe Simpson
D: Eddie Gerrade
RW: Babe Dye
LW: George Hay

K.G.H McConnell - Edmonton Bulletin

D: Joe Simpson
D: George Boucher
RW: Alf Smith
C: Duke Keats

Roy Halpin - Quebec Daily Telegraph

D: Art Ross
RW: Aurel Joliat
LW: Joe Malone

Ross MacKay - The Star

RW: Scotty Davidson

Harry Scott - Calgary

D: Ernie Johnson
RW: Newsy Lalonde

Mr Young -

G: Hugh Lehman
D: XXX
D: XXX
RW: Russell Bowie

Art Ross

G: Paddy Moran
D: Si Griffis
D: Lester Patrick
F: Russell Bowie
F: Tommy Phillips
F: Cyclone Taylor
F: Frank Nighbor
F: Frank McGee
F: Tony Gingras

Frank Shaughnessey

G: Clint Benedict
RW: Alf Smith
C: Russell Bowie

James T Sutherland's list is hard to follow I'll fix it later

I have 14 lists here accounted for removing Ross's because he refused to list just 6

Taylor - 4/13
Lalonde - 2/13
Bowie - 3/13
Nighbor - 3/13
Tommy Phillips 9/13

@seventieslord with some good commentary

So it appears these are all the guys named more than once:

Tommy Phillips 10
Stuart 8
Cleghorn 6
Vezina 6
Taylor - 5
Bowie - 4
Nighbor - 4
Davidson - 4
Gerard 4
Lalonde - 3
Lesueur 3
Dye 3
Simpson 2
Benedict 2
Boucher 2
Smith 2
Hay 2
Lehman 2
McGee 2

Guys named once:

RW: George Richardson
RW: Arthur Farrell
G: John Ross Roach
RW: Dubbie Kerr
C: Mickey MacKay
C: Billy Burch
LW: Cy Dennenay
G: Mike Merritt
D: Mike Grant
D: Harvey Pulford
RW: Jim Gardner
LW: Harry Watson
F. Frederickson,
C: Duke Keats
D: Art Ross
RW: Aurel Joliat
LW: Joe Malone
D: Ernie Johnson
G: Paddy Moran
D: Si Griffis
D: Lester Patrick
F: Tony Gingras

LW: Tommy Phillips is the near unanimous choice and with good reason. Not only was he an outstanding player, there's no one else worth naming! George Hay was making a name for himself by then; it's worth mentioning.

RW: If you believe these lists, Scotty Davidson was the best RW of all-time as of 1925, with Alf Smith getting some love and Babe Dye up-and-coming. Five others were named once, three of whom weren't right wingers. The list makers probably knew this and were just trying to fit on players they otherwise couldn't.

What to make of this? Not much that we don't already know. Davidson was a pretty good player when he played - he must have really passed the eye test for these guys. But at the same time, do I believe he was actually better than Didier Pitre, Punch Broadbent, Jack Walker, Jack Darragh or Harry Hyland, who had all played full careers by 1925? Or even Harry Oliver, who had played much of his prime? Or even Eddie Oatman? (to say nothing of Smith and Dye, who actually received votes) No, I don't. Not on a career basis for sure, and I'm pretty sure not at their respective bests either. I can only assume the votes cast for Davidson were meant as tributes to a fallen soldier and hero. Davidson, to me, still looks like an above average NHA player for two seasons.

C: Taylor, Bowie and Nighbor all top the list, followed closely by Lalonde, then by McGee. This, more than anything, matches ATD/HOH canon. In fact, if you assume two things - 1) that Nighbor, with six seasons still to play, had not completely cemented his reputation, and 2) that in 1925 they understandably lacked the historical perspective we have 90 years later to judge players of Bowie and McGee's generation by a slightly tougher standard - then you could say their assessment of the best centers of the day perfectly matches ours.

D: You've got Stuart with 8 mentions, Cleghorn with 6, Gerard with 4, Simpson and Boucher with 2, and then many of the usual suspects got a vote; in fact, almost no one was left out. Our HOH list has pre-merger defensemen as follows: Cleghorn, Gerard, Stuart, Johnson, Boucher, Cameron, Patrick, Pulford. Stuart is very understandable because: 1) he actually was a very good player, 2) he died young and gets some of the same benefit as Davidson, 3) same lack of historical perspective that might affect Bowie/McGee relative to newer, superior centers, and 4) they all got to name two defensemen so unlike C/LW/RW/D, there was room to name an old guy and a new guy. Simpson with 2 votes is a little surprising, but keep in mind he was in the middle of his WCHL heyday at the time. Most snubbed players? I'd select two for this honour. Johnson should have more than a vote. If Simpson/Boucher have 2 and Gerard 4, I'd have liked to have seen Johnson with 3. And Cameron not getting a single vote when Grant, Ross and Griffis each got one seems a little off.

G: Vezina the clear winner with 6, followed by the best eye test goalie of the previous generation, LeSueur. Benedict and Lehman with two votes each, with Roach, Moran and the completely-out-of-left-field Mike Merritt earning one vote. Vezina was by most accounts, the best of his time, however, it was not unanimous over Benedict, even with the "benefit" of an early tragic death. I'd use the "historical perspective" excuse for Benedict not getting as many votes as his predecessor Lesueur, but also one was the best of his generation and one was 2nd, putting him at a clear disadvantage. I'm more interested in who didn't pick up the last few remaining votes: Holmes shut out in favour of Lehman, and Lesueur cleaning up on Moran, Hern and Hutton, with only one defector going for Moran. These votes very closely match what we now know as canon, which makes me happy.

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
All about how high people put Bowie, because then based on Bowie's placement the 00s stars need to get ranked appropriately relative to him like Ernie Russell.

Wouldn't be shocked by people making a "Big-4" of pre-consolidation of Nighbor/Taylor/Lalonde/Bowie

I am leaning towards Bowie in my top 5.

Nighbor/Taylor/Lalonde as my 1/2/3 has been that way for years (pretty much since I failed in getting a Round 1 list done for the 2018 project).

After that it's wide open. Cleghorn and Bowie are currently flip flopping at 4 and 5. Vezina, Benedict and Malone right up there too.

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
@ResilientBeast the list credited to Sandy Hook was actually from Lou Marsh, longtime referee and writer for the Toronto Star.

“Mr Young” is O.F. Young of Port Arthur (now Thunder Bay) and he listed Doc Gibson and Roy Brown at defence.

Thanks for posting the Macleans list. It’s unique as a source for this project. We’re obviously not going to take it as gospel, but it’s a must-read.

I wonder what the voting would look like if you broke it down by region.

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey

I've got Bowie in my top 10, but unless something drastically changes, he won't be in contention for my top 4. I actually found that I had very little disagreement with the order results of the pre-consolidation players that have made the previous top lists.

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
Only 3 lists were included from Canada’s western provinces. These 3 lists included the only 2 votes for Joe Simpson and the only vote for Ernie “Moose” Johnson. So I think it’s fair to question whether the eastern list-makers were able to give WCHL and PCHA stars a fair evaluation.

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
I've got Bowie in my top 10, but unless something drastically changes, he won't be in contention for my top 4. I actually found that I had very little disagreement with the order results of the pre-consolidation players that have made the previous top lists.
I am leaning towards Bowie in my top 5.

Nighbor/Taylor/Lalonde as my 1/2/3 has been that way for years (pretty much since I failed in getting a Round 1 list done for the 2018 project).

After that it's wide open. Cleghorn and Bowie are currently flip flopping at 4 and 5. Vezina, Benedict and Malone right up there too.

I'll be interested to see how your placements on Bowie (1880) affect the placement of players like Ernie Russell (1883), Frank McGee (1882), Marty Walsh (1884) and Herb Jordan (1884) who were born a couple of years later and stuck around into the NHA enough and weren't so staunchly against professional sports (besides McGee).

I'm fairly confident in Bowie > Russell > McGee > Walsh > Jordan but have never really full explored the rest of Bowie's contemporaries and contrasted them

I also for some reason never realize McGee retired at 23.....

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
Only 3 lists were included from Canada’s western provinces. These 3 lists included the only 2 votes for Joe Simpson and the only vote for Ernie “Moose” Johnson. So I think it’s fair to question whether the eastern list-makers were able to give WCHL and PCHA stars a fair evaluation.

I can be convinced to move guys. The little disagreement is more the initial gut instinct that I talked about earlier. I'm not making my deep dives yet.

I'll be interested to see how your placements on Bowie (1880) affect the placement of players like Ernie Russell (1883), Frank McGee (1882), Marty Walsh (1884) and Herb Jordan (1884) who were born a couple of years later and stuck around into the NHA enough and weren't so staunchly against professional sports (besides McGee).

I'm fairly confident in Bowie > Russell > McGee > Walsh > Jordan but have never really full explored the rest of Bowie's contemporaries and contrasted them

I think McGee for peak has to be viewed well, but yeah, that early retirement... I haven't added him yet, and I'd be lying if I said I knew where I'm going to plug him in initially.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Dude. If you have nothing better to do than step into someone's conversation simply to crap all over it for your own jollies, do the decent thing and mind your own business and just continue engaging in something you enjoy in life. Fleas.
I´m not sure what your goal is. Honestly even in History forum this project would be amongst minority. Why are you keen to want them/us to join your project or your way to rank players? I don´t know, but I do not believe that there are any restriction that you can start your own project here. To be honest your might be more "popular". If you want to cut the historical aspect out of it then you might need to start it on the main forum?

But then you might have difficult time to orchestrate your project. People may have different opinions of when the "real hockey" started. Often it seem to be roughly at the time when they started to watch hockey.

And I do not mean to be offending. I do not know you. Just wondering what is the point of this.

Reactions: seventieslord

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
These sorts of arguments have come up before and I'm not sure who would've been voting at the time (regarding having actually watched these players first hand) but should we lend much credence to HHOF induction order?

Ignoring 1945 which was for posthumous induction, by my eyes I get this list.

1947 - Bowie, Taylor, Nighbor, Bain & Ross
1950 - Davidson, Drinkwater, Grant, Griffis, Lalonde, Malone , Richardson & Trihey
1952 - Boon, Johnson, MacKay
1958 - Cleghorn, Foyston, Fredrickson, Gardiner, Hay, Irvin, Keats, Lehman, McNamara, Moran
1959 - Adams, Denneny
1960 - Boucher, Walker
1961 - Hall, LeSueur, Stuart
1962 - Broadbent, Hyland, Maxwell, Noble, Smith
1963 - Cameron, Crawford, Darragh, Gardner, Gilmour, Hern, Hooper, Laviolette, Hutton, McGimsie, Pitre, Simpson, Walsh, Stanley, Westwick, Watson, Whitcroft
1965 - Benedict, Farrell, Marshall, Russel, Russell, Scanlan
1970 - Dye
1971 - Roberts
1972 - Holmes
1973 - Smith
1974 - Dunderdale

Edit: Some can be explained like Cleghorn & Hall being assholes didn't help. But why would someone like Pitre have to wait so long

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan

I have Bowie high and Russell somewhere in my top half. I'm starting with forward/ Defenseman/ goalie rankings separately before throwing it all together. I have Russell in my top 20 forwards.

McGee has a huge legend and peak, but I struggle to actually rank him.

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
I have Bowie high and Russell somewhere in my top half. I'm starting with forward/ Defenseman/ goalie rankings separately before throwing it all together. I have Russell in my top 20 forwards.

McGee has a huge legend and peak, but I struggle to actually rank him.

1904 Ottawa leaves the CAHL mid season and McGee is on pace for 24 goals in 8 games if they stayed compared with Bowie's 27.

1906 in ECAHA is an interesting comparison point because the Victoria's are not an offensively deep team while Ottawa has 3 in the top 10. Bowie and McGee wind up quite close in scoring and then promptly retires.

It's also not helped that McGee's team was legendarily good and the Victoria's were kinda crap outside of Bowie in terms of high end talent.

He wins a single cup in 1899 with McDougall, Grant & Drinkwater on the team. Then never plays in a cup challenge again. The team could score as evidenced by 1907 where they almost scored the same amount of goals as the undefeated Wanderers (105 vs 101) but they gave up nearly 3 goals against per game more than the Wanderers.

Last edited:
Reactions: jigglysquishy

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
1904 Ottawa leaves the CAHL mid season and McGee is on pace for 24 goals in 8 games if they stayed compared with Bowie's 27.

1906 in ECAHA is an interesting comparison point because the Victoria's are not an offensively deep team while Ottawa has 3 in the top 10. Bowie and McGee wind up quite close in scoring and then promptly retires.

It's also not helped that McGee's team was legendarily good and the Victoria's were kinda crap outside of Bowie in terms of high end talent.

He wins a single cup in 1899 with McDougall, Grant & Drinkwater on the team. Then never plays in a cup challenge again. The team could score as evidenced by 1907 where they almost scored the same amount of goals as the undefeated Wanderers (105 vs 101) but they gave up nearly 3 goals against per game more than the Wanderers.

That's what Coleman largely said as well in Trail: Bowie and McGee were very similarly ranked during their era, the only difference being McGee won the Cup (and has his 14 goal game), while Bowie didn't (not sure why Coleman doesn't consider Bowie a winner in 1899).

They were neck and neck in scoring the few years they played directly against each other though.

Reactions: ResilientBeast

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I believe there are 81 players eligible for this project who are in the HHOF. On that basis alone, they are all worthy of discussion, even if categorically dismissed:

GrahamDrinkwaterCD
HarveyPulfordD
MikeGrantD
DanBainC
AlfSmithRWLW
HarryWestwickC
HodStuartD
RussellBowieCRover
BruceStuartC
BlairRussellLW
JackMarshallDC/LW/RW
TommyPhillipsLWRW
SiGriffisDC
JoeHallDRW
FrankMcGeeC
Ernie "Moose"JohnsonD
LesterPatrickD
DidierPitreRWD
PercyLesueurG
NewsyLalondeC
ArtRossD
ErnieRussellCRW
CycloneTaylorCD
TommySmithCLW
HughLehmanG
TommyDunderdaleC
MartyWalshC
EddieGerardDLW
RustyCrawfordLWC
JoeMaloneC
HapHolmesG
GordRobertsLW
EddieOatmanRWD
SpragueCleghornD
GeorgesVezinaG
JackDarraghRW
FrankFoystonCLW
FrankNighborCLW
ClintBenedictG
PunchBroadbentRW
HarryCameronD
RegNobleLWD/C
JackWalkerRWC/LW
CyDennenyLW
MickeyMacKayCLW/RW
GeorgesBoucherDC
DukeKeatsC
BabeDyeRW
Harry E.WatsonLW
JackAdamsCLW
HerbGardinerD
FrankFredricksonC
JoeSimpsonD
HarryOliverRWC
GeorgeHayLW
DickIrvinC
PaddyMoranG
BillyMcGimsieC
HarryTriheyC
Allan "Scotty"DavidsonRW
GeorgeMcNamaraD
FredScanlanLW
MooseGoheenLWD
BillyGilmourRWD
DickieBoonD
HobeyBakerCD
BouseHuttonG
PhatWilsonD
JimmyGardnerLW
ArthurFarrellRW
FrederickWhitcroftC
TomHooperDRW
ShortyGreenRW
GeorgeRichardsonLW
BarneyStanleyRWD
JackLavioletteDRW
HarryHylandRW
FrankRankinRover
JackRuttanD
SteamerMaxwellRover
OliverSeibertC

Here are 100 others not in the HHOF. Not all are that worthy of consideration. A good 50-60 of these will likely make at least a single list, and probably 30-40 of them will end up being discussed in round 2 debates.

HarrySmithCLW
HambyShoreD
BobbyRoweDRW
KenRandallRWD/C
OdieCleghornRWC
SmokeyHarrisLW
CullyWilsonRW
AlfSkinnerRW
BernieMorrisCRW
LloydCookD
BertCorbeauD
ArtDuncanD
FrankPatrickDRW
BillyBoucherRW
CarsonCooperRW
CorbDennenyCRW/LW
LeoReise Sr.D
HerbJordanC
AllanCameronD
WalterSmaillDC/LW
GordFraserD
ArtGagneRW
HarryMummeryD
HowardMcNamaraD
LouisBerlinguetteLW
BillyCoutuD
TomPatonG
SlimHaldersonDLW
WeldyYoungD
ClarenceMcKerrowC
SkeneRonanCD
PercyTraubD
BobMcDougallRW
BillyNicholsonG
TonyGingrasRW
HavilandRouthCRW
JackMarksRWLW/D
RanMcDonaldRW
DonSmithLWC
DollySwiftC
BertLindsayG
BillyBreen
CharlesTobinRWD/LW
ArtMooreD
JimRileyLW
CecilBlachfordCLW/RW
JackCampbellD
BobTrappD
JamesStewartD
BruceRidpathRW
HarryMeekingLW
BertMcCaffreyDRW
BarneyHoldenD
AttyHowardRWD
JackArmytageCRover
FredLakeD
RileyHernG
ArtHooperRover
GoldieProdgersDLW
ClemLoughlinD
BillyBarlowCLW/RW
CamDavidsonC
HerbertRussellLWD
JackArntonD
JackMcDonaldLW
MickeyRoachC
HalWinklerG
JackFindlayCLW/RW
JackBrannenCLW/RW
SkinnerPoulinC
LorneCampbellC
KenMallenRW
HecFowlerG
RoyRickeyD
RocketPowerD
RedGreenLW
HerbertCollinsG
RoxyBeaudroRW
FredHigginbothamD
RodFlettD
JakeForbesG
OrenFroodLW
HoraceGaulRW
AbbieNewellD
ShirleyDavidsonLWC/RW
ErnieMcLeaC
EddieCarpenterD
BillyStuartD
Frank "Coddy"WintersD
ArchieBridenLW
JoeMatteD
EddieGirouxG
ArtThroopLW
BobbyGengeD
SteveVairC
GeorgeMerrittG
TyArbourLW
AmbyMoranD
BillyBellRW
JoePowerLW

I'm going to try to sort these lists out by decade and start to make some preliminary lists before combining them all into one.

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Brought my spreadsheet to work because if I'm going to do hockey research on company time may as well have my tools.

Dominant scorer pre-Bowie is a difficult one.

During Routh's stretch as the dominant scorer 93-95 Montreal AAA scored a total of 96 regular season goals based on SIHR's data Routh is responsible for 46 of them ~48%.

MacDougall never cracked 40% in a single season of his teams goals. Over his best 4 year stretch the Victoria's scored 177 goals 43 of them scored by MacDougall accounts for ~24%

The advantage MacDougall has is "longevity". He played 4 full quality seasons vs Routh really having 2 by his own standards (94 is a bit of down year).

MacDougall did play slightly later in the advent of organized hockey so that is absolutely worth something

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.youtube.com
My god. Has anyone tried to make a list yet? The names that there simply can't be room for are plenty.

Are we sure we don't want to just make this a top-100? We don't have to make the project any longer, we could just vote in more players each round.

I don't think "names there [are no] room for" is exclusive to this list/era...I'd stay the course, personally. A longer list doesn't necessarily make it better...there's going to be a lot of inferring done to read into the quality of the game I feel like, or at least, die trying...

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
Frank McGee vs Russell Bowie, overlapping seasons (1902-03 through 1905-06)

McGee - 23 GP 71 G (Playoffs 22 GP 63 G) Total: 45 GP 134 G
Bowie - 32 GP 106 G (Playoffs 2 GP 0 G) Total: 34 GP 106 G

Very very close on a per game basis.

The two key differences I see.

Bowie's career extends both before and after McGee's. He finished first in goals (by more than double) in 1901, and a close second in 1902. I can't find any record of McGee's stats while playing for the Ottawa Aberdeens. Bowie finishes a close second to Russell in 1907 and first in 1908. In an era of limited longevity, Bowie can say he played elite hockey both before and after McGee's career.

The Ottawa Silver Sevens were a much stronger team. In the 1906 season, they scored 90 goals as a team, with McGee scoring 28 (31%), though he did miss three games. Teammate Harry Smith scored 31. Alf Smith also helped out with 13 goals. They were the strongest offensive team in the league, second best defensive team, and had the best goal differential (+48).

That same season the Victorias scored 76 goals, with Bowie scoring 30 (39.5%), while missing one game. No other Victoria scored more than 11 goals. The Victorias were the second strongest offensive team that season, but only had a goal differential of +3.

The point being, Ottawa was a much stronger team than the Victorias. So while McGee posted a higher GPG this year than Bowie, he did so with more help across the club. The club owned the Stanley Cup from March 1903 until March 1906.

How much do we take the most dominant run of the Challenge Cup era as a result of McGee's offensive dominance? How much do we take from them being the deepest team, including possibly the best defender of the era, Harvey Pulford?

For me, ranking Bowie much higher than McGee is easy due to longevity. But McGee is absolutely with him peak-for-peak.

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton

Bowie's career extends both before and after McGee's. He finished first in goals (by more than double) in 1901, and a close second in 1902. I can't find any record of McGee's stats while playing for the Ottawa Aberdeens. Bowie finishes a close second to Russell in 1907 and first in 1908. In an era of limited longevity, Bowie can say he played elite hockey both before and after McGee's career.

The Ottawa Silver Sevens were a much stronger team. In the 1906 season, they scored 90 goals as a team, with McGee scoring 28 (31%), though he did miss three games. Teammate Harry Smith scored 31. Alf Smith also helped out with 13 goals. They were the strongest offensive team in the league, second best defensive team, and had the best goal differential (+48).

That same season the Victorias scored 76 goals, with Bowie scoring 30 (39.5%), while missing one game. No other Victoria scored more than 11 goals. The Victorias were the second strongest offensive team that season, but only had a goal differential of +3.

The point being, Ottawa was a much stronger team than the Victorias. So while McGee posted a higher GPG this year than Bowie, he did so with more help across the club. The club owned the Stanley Cup from March 1903 until March 1906.

How much do we take the most dominant run of the Challenge Cup era as a result of McGee's offensive dominance? How much do we take from them being the deepest team, including possibly the best defender of the era, Harvey Pulford?

For me, ranking Bowie much higher than McGee is easy due to longevity. But McGee is absolutely with him peak-for-peak.

It's interesting looking at the numbers. Using Iain's method of calculating marginal goals and expected win percentage here's what the Victorias look like during Bowie's career.

Based on their underlying numbers they performed worse than marginal goals would expect in terms of win percentage. And in their best season in 1904-05 they were denied a cup challenge against Ottawa, which would've been a useful data point.

To give context to the table below (tables I'll keep posting as we talk teams)

% offense - How much of a team's points can be explained by their offense
e WP% - Expected win percentage of a team with these GF & GA in their league
a WP% - Actual win percentage

GPWLTGFGAPoints% Offencee WP%a WP%Diff
1898-1899Montreal Victorias862044231258.1%85.7%75.0%-10.7%
1899-1900Montreal Victorias82604455494.7%35.4%25.0%-10.4%
1900-1901Montreal Victorias84314532966.0%70.7%50.0%-20.7%
1901-1902Montreal Victorias84403625850.7%68.2%50.0%-18.2%
1902-1903Montreal Victorias862048331260.7%71.3%75.0%3.7%
1903-1904Montreal Victorias853075481073.6%80.3%62.5%-17.8%
1904-1905Montreal Victorias1091064321848.0%82.2%90.0%7.8%
1905-1906Montreal Victorias1064076731268.0%52.4%60.0%7.6%
1906-1907Montreal Victorias10640101701259.2%70.5%60.0%-10.5%

It should be noted that despite winning the league the Victorias according to expected win percentage were actually just barely worse than the 8-2 Quebec Hockey Club.

The 1904-05 Ottawa Hockey Club in the FAHL were ludicrously good, they have an expected win percentage over 100% because their underlying numbers were so good.

Despite being a one man show, the Vics probably should have won even more than they actually did in real life based on the underlying numbers. Likely because the team outside of Blair Russel will probably not come up in this project at all

Edit: And when I say ludicrously good in the FAHL 60 GF 19 GA. That's crazy

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK

I don't know if peak numbers between McGee and Bowie are comparable as apples to apples. Bowie was always in the league recognized as the best one, while at least a couple of McGee's years were spent in the noticeably lower quality fahl.

Last edited:

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
It's interesting looking at the numbers. Using Iain's method of calculating marginal goals and expected win percentage here's what the Victorias look like during Bowie's career.

Based on their underlying numbers they performed worse than marginal goals would expect in terms of win percentage. And in their best season in 1904-05 they were denied a cup challenge against Ottawa, which would've been a useful data point.

To give context to the table below (tables I'll keep posting as we talk teams)

% offense - How much of a team's points can be explained by their offense
e WP% - Expected win percentage of a team with these GF & GA in their league
a WP% - Actual win percentage

GPWLTGFGAPoints% Offencee WP%a WP%Diff
1898-1899Montreal Victorias862044231258.1%85.7%75.0%-10.7%
1899-1900Montreal Victorias82604455494.7%35.4%25.0%-10.4%
1900-1901Montreal Victorias84314532966.0%70.7%50.0%-20.7%
1901-1902Montreal Victorias84403625850.7%68.2%50.0%-18.2%
1902-1903Montreal Victorias862048331260.7%71.3%75.0%3.7%
1903-1904Montreal Victorias853075481073.6%80.3%62.5%-17.8%
1904-1905Montreal Victorias1091064321848.0%82.2%90.0%7.8%
1905-1906Montreal Victorias1064076731268.0%52.4%60.0%7.6%
1906-1907Montreal Victorias10640101701259.2%70.5%60.0%-10.5%

It should be noted that despite winning the league the Victorias according to expected win percentage were actually just barely worse than the 8-2 Quebec Hockey Club.

The 1904-05 Ottawa Hockey Club in the FAHL were ludicrously good, they have an expected win percentage over 100% because their underlying numbers were so good.

Despite being a one man show, the Vics probably should have won even more than they actually did in real life based on the underlying numbers. Likely because the team outside of Blair Russel will probably not come up in this project at all

Edit: And when I say ludicrously good in the FAHL 60 GF 19 GA. That's crazy

I was curious so here's the Victorias expected win% tracked with actual win% from MacDougall's first full season to Bowie's last in top level hockey.

1668007579312.png

Victoria's win the cup in 1899, MacDougall and Drinkwater retire and the team craters as one would expect losing two great players. Bowie also is only in his second full season and scores a paltry 15 goals in 7 games. The Vics rebound eventually but are never quite as dominant as during MacDougall's peak until near the end of Bowie's career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad