Hockey players' body weight

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Sorry to hear you were ill, but I would state setting realistic fitness goals for healthy weight loss is a lot different than, "I got sick and lost a lot of weight that way." Apologies if I misinterpreted what you meant here.

I experienced severe muscle atrophy due to a prolonged illness and stay in hospital, and I entered the hospital at a healthy weight and lost 35% of my weight at its lowest point and at no point did I feel or look healthy or would be considered to be in good health.

Nobody with cancer says "I always wanted to be thin like this." Just as everyone's bodies are different, there are healthy or unhealthy weight loss methods.
It was more psychological. Too depressed and anxious to bother with eating.

Point is, I've gotten a chance to see myself at a wide array of weights (almost a 100-pound window) I hated absolutely everything about my body and physical performance at a weight that most people insist is a healthy weight for my height. And that's unrelated to any physical illness. I was weak and looked like a skeleton. My ribs started showing at 180.

Some people are just big. As I've mentioned, I'm a bit out of shape now, but I was 222 when I was in the best shape of my life. That's right before I had my difficulties. I was 23 and lean as hell. I wanna go back in time.

Reactions: 1989

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
6'2" and 170lb is a BMI of 21.8. 200+ would be in the overweight category, which is fine if you're an NHL player and it's your job to add muscle, but not if you spend more time posting on here than in the rink or the weight room.
BMI doesn't account for muscle mass vs fat, among other problems. Hardly a reliable indicator of anything other than the formula needing a number at the end.

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
I looked up a ton of players height and weight in the last few years and it does seems a little odd that almost every player is no smaller that 6 feet and lighter than 190 pounds. I have a feeling they are exaggerated, but can never understand why.

MoneyManny

Jun 28, 2021
6'2" and 170lb is a BMI of 21.8. 200+ would be in the overweight category, which is fine if you're an NHL player and it's your job to add muscle, but not if you spend more time posting on here than in the rink or the weight room.
These numbers mean absolutely nothing in a vacuum.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
If Mitch Marner is 180 pounds then the Pope isn't catholic. No way that man is milligram over 155 lbs and that's probably pushing it.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
A 6'2" man should be 200+ pounds. To weigh 165-170 would be emaciated.

Here is a 6'2, 168 lbs NBA player. He's not emaciated, he's just slim.

And yeah, most non-athletes who weigh 200+ pounds at 6'2 height could benefit from cutting some weight. The standard of 'people can't say that I'm obese from across the street' isn't really high lol.

Reactions: 1989

Avs2022

Jan 4, 2011
In my my very early 20's, I had a started growing a big belly, skinny arms, huge quads from hockey, tennis, other sports (that I hadn't played in over 3 years). Bad posture, etc. I'm 5'8. Was 186 pounds. Joined a gym, started working out like crazy, eating healthy. Booze only on Saturday nights.

3 years later, I was pretty muscular (like toned, not bulgung muscles). Had a 4 pack, big arms that were rock solid, quads that were solid, big chest etc.

At my physical peak, I was obviously still 5'8, and weighed....185 pounds.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
They got the donuts? Excellent....

Here is a 6'2, 168 lbs NBA player. He's not emaciated, he's just slim.

And yeah, most non-athletes who weigh 200+ pounds at 6'2 height could benefit from cutting some weight. The standard of 'people can't say that I'm obese from across the street' isn't really high lol.

He's pretty much just skin and bones with a frame that's far thinner and narrower than your average man.

topseed

Jun 17, 2024
Legs are such a big muscle group and they really do weigh a lot. I have wide hips and tend to hold mass really well especially in my quads, trunk. I'm 6ft and come in at 185~sh. I'm athletic, i run and lift daily. When you look at me in clothes, you probably wont even say i lift, but take clothes out of the equation or look at a good angle and there will be signs. Big bone bodytype and/or bone density also adds to it. My bonestructure is like a girls, my palm for example is so small i can hardly fit my D in my hand.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
He's pretty much just skin and bones with a frame that's far thinner and narrower than your average man.
You're not wrong, the point is there are men who are muscular enough to be pro basketball players and still slim enough to not even weigh 170 lbs.

In fact, I looked up 6'2 NBA players and they are almost all (18/23) below 200 lbs. And none of the countries with average male height over 6 feet is anywhere close to the average weight of 200 lbs (and this is with today's pandemic obesity). I think your image of an average man is overweight.

lokomotiv15

Jul 14, 2012
London, ontario
I have always seen more skewing of height than I have of weight for guys in junior, semi-pro and of the guys I know that play in the nhl. My EP and team sites have given me (and dont think EP has changed) 6'3, 225 since junior, I think. I'm probably 6'2.5" on my best days, but the 225 was accurate then, now I am/play at around 240, hasn't been updated by new teams or anything and most people are surprised I weigh that much.

I'm in the middle in the below pic, and the guy on the left (my right) also plays and is listed at 5'11", 195 and the guy on the right is around 160 at maybe 5'10 or so, he plays recreationally. I don't think in any world anyone would assume I weigh 80 lbs more than the guy on my right, but the answer to that is ass and legs. We got lots of em and they weigh more than any other muscle group. If anything, I've seen more teams list lower weight than actual on guys than over-shooting.
zboys.jpg

Reactions: DaveG

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Lots of weight in the legs and core. Not a lot of weight in chest and arms, which is probably where you're looking when you're trying to figure out if a person is "strong."

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
They got the donuts? Excellent....
You're not wrong, the point is there are men who are muscular enough to be pro basketball players and still slim enough to not even weigh 170 lbs.

In fact, I looked up 6'2 NBA players and they are almost all (18/23) below 200 lbs. And none of the countries with average male height over 6 feet is anywhere close to the average weight of 200 lbs (and this is with today's pandemic obesity). I think your image of an average man is overweight.

Why the hell would you think that NBA players are representative of the population? They're genetic freaks like, but in different ways than, NFL players. I'm not going to look up stats from NFL players to back my argument because that would be silly.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
They absolutely lie about their heights and weights. These guys are big and strong, tons of muscles in their legs and absolutely insane core strength with fairly low body fats. But there is absolutely no way that so many of them are in the ~200lb range. They'd need to be carrying crazy amounts of upper body muscle and look like Rod Brind'Amour with their shirts off to have those kinds of numbers. You've got a few for sure, plenty of these guys are just big, big men, but there's plenty of averagely built dudes and they're not 5'11 210 out there.

The easiest way to spot the lies is when you see the players put on 10-15lbs in an offseason. Those numbers, if true, are steroid numbers. Even if the guy is 20, an athlete who's been training for 10 years (and these guys all have been) isn't going to put on 10lbs of muscle in an offseason, no matter how serious he takes it or how much of a bulking diet (GOMAD lol) he's on.

The numbers are all inflated, and none of them really matter.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
I think the outliers and guys on the smaller side are more likely to get an inch or 10 lbs pumped onto their measurements.

I work out and I'm 6'4 195 and toned, but with my metabolism unless I eat at least 2500 calories per I drop weight faster than a drug addict, but a big Christmas dinner can bump me to 200. I've been everywhere from 160 to 215, but I'm not really going for that, lots of men in the west are 6'1 250 heart attacks waiting to happen but it's okay they have a gut because they've got big arms, big shoulders and a big chest.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
As someone who used to lift big time when he was younger, I have a good idea about real weights and e-stats.

My theory about why hockey players weights seem to be e-stats is two reasons. One, their height is usually exaggerated. Example, a guy like Erik Brannstrom being listed at 5'10". The other is that having a strong upper body is a detriment in hockey if it comes at the expense of building a core and lower body. It's the opposite mentality of your average guy who goes to the gym for cosmetic reasons. Your average lifter bro who is 5'10" 190-200 at close to single digit body fat is going to look massive compared to a hockey player with the same stats because with the hockey player that 200 lbs is mostly lower body and core, where as with the gym bro it's all back, shoulders, biceps.

The other thing is that players get pretty lean during the season due to the amount of energy they burn off. Someone who is lean generally doesn't look big. Where as, someone who lifts hard in that 15-20 percent BF range will look massive in street clothes.

Players absolutely do e-stat, but it's all relative. The above is why most players don't look big in person.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad