Hockey players' body weight

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Well, here is Kaprizov trying a tug of war against Kovalchuk (who is 6'2, 220-230 lbs). His size stats seem believable to me:

Remember that hypertrophy training isn't nearly as important for hockey players as it is for the gym bros. I still remember that guy from like 2012 who claimed that his cousin was in a better shape than Chara because of larger pecs :laugh:

It may make some sense for prospects (I remember how concerned people were about Michkov's size before the draft, and the guy is pretty stocky), but I don't think pro teams pay much attention to height and weight of established players. We've discussed the other day that Malkin had been listed at the same height and weight for 15 years before growing taller and heavier at 38 lol.

Kovalchuk is such a beast

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I don’t think it’s very accurate all the time.

I am 6’4, and I remember 2 years ago seeing Elias Pettersson in person and I was about 2 metres away from him but he only appeared to be barely half an inch shorter than me and he’s listed at 6’2. He’s closer to 6’4 (I assume 6’3.75) than he is 6’2.

For reference Demko is listed as 6’4 and Petey is 6’2:
IMG_6803.jpeg

2-3 years ago
IMG_6802.jpeg

Last year

Garland is 100% exaggerated and I believe he’s admitted it. He’s listed 5’10 but he’s very obviously 5’7, maybe 5’8 at most. He is tiny as hell.

Gaudreau (RIP) was also much shorter than the listed 5’9. He was 5’7 for a good while and I remember like in his rookie year or something he suddenly was listed at 5’9 which I always found it hard to believe.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Heights tend to be inflated. Weight, not so much. Websites tend to list the higher weight(i.e. pre season weight), but many players tend to lose weight over the course of a long grueling season with less than ideal training, diet, and sleep schedules. Hockey players tend to have very strong legs and butts, and work on having thicker torsos. Those are big slabs of muscle, and account for a lot of weight. Biceps...ehh, not so much, though many will work on wrists and forearms for snapping off shots quickly and powerfully. You're not talking a lot of weight there, though, and in any event, with the sticks that they have nowadays having strong forearms and wrists is not as important is it was back in the wooden stick era.
Kaprizov, btw, is not very tall, but is an absolute truck in person.

rsteen

Oct 1, 2022
A 6'2" man should be 200+ pounds. To weigh 165-170 would be emaciated.
6'2" and 170lb is a BMI of 21.8. 200+ would be in the overweight category, which is fine if you're an NHL player and it's your job to add muscle, but not if you spend more time posting on here than in the rink or the weight room.

Reactions: 1989

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad