Hockey Cards - Part III

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
Just got my cards back from my parents house. I have a lot of 1990 era cards. Does anyone care about Pro Set anymore? I have a couple that seem to be going for a decent amount on eBay but I don’t really trust that evaluation.

IMG_9145.jpeg

IMG_9146.jpeg

IMG_9144.jpeg

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Just got my cards back from my parents house. I have a lot of 1990 era cards. Does anyone care about Pro Set anymore? I have a couple that seem to be going for a decent amount on eBay but I don’t really trust that evaluation.

When using EBay, you want to look at sales not listings for value. As far as 90s cards go, most don't have value unless they are graded very highly. The vast majority of cards from that era will have production errors which will force the grade down. For example, a Jagr rookie that's a PSA 10, could be worth $1-200, but the card itself, ungraded, might only be worth $1-2.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles

View attachment 914702

View attachment 914704

View attachment 914703
PSA 10 or nearly worthless. Most valuable non-error/variation cards will the the various Wayne Gretzky cards in PSA 10. Any major player with a HOF or SC player (like Rod Brind’amour) RC will be worth more than the grading fee in PSA 10.

Reactions: Jerzey Devil

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008

View attachment 914702

View attachment 914704

View attachment 914703
Here's an easy site to use to see eBay completed sales. It will also show what "Best Offer" was accepted: Search eBay Sales for Sports Cards, Memorabilia and More | 130 Point

You can also use Terapeak within the eBay selling dashboard

Last edited:

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
In Canada is there companies who rate the cards and auction it off if the seller desires to do it?

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
  • Haha

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison

View attachment 914702

View attachment 914704

View attachment 914703

Click "sold listings" on the side to see what they actually sell for.

If the card you are looking at on eBay is a graded card (it's on a clear case with a number), it's not really the same thing. People might pay $20-$30 for a PSA 10 of a pro set card, but it's going to cost you that yo get it graded, and it probably won't be a 10. So it's irrelevant.

There are a lot of error cards that are listed for high prices, but almost none sold. Which leads me to believe that they aren't actually worth much. There is a Paul Gillis blood bose error card that sold for $80 at auction. So I'd look for that one.

If you have any hologram cards, particularly a Stanley Cup, that is the one sought after card from Pro Set. It's a very condition sensitive card, so it's difficult to give a ball park, but even low grades like PSA 4 have recently sold for 1000 CAD. I would image the ungraded price would be somewhere in the $500-$1000 range for one that looks okay, but I am unsure.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
In Canada is there companies who rate the cards and auction it off if the seller desires to do it?

Two different things. "Rating" is called grading. There might be companies that can submit cards on your behalf. But you generally want to look into PSA and BGS.

Otherwise, auctioning it off requires a cosigner. There are a few who work with eBay. For example, Slab Shark is a Canadian one. I have no idea if they are good, or who is good, but your starting point would be trying to find eBay consignors and then googling for card forums to see which ones are the most trustworthy.

You do not need to get a card graded to consign it. Grading is a gamble to potentially increase the value and marketability of a card. But you have to consider what the floor and ceiling are for the value of a card because grading can be expensive for one single card. Your card can also be with less if it grades lower. So if you aren't an expert in the hobby and can't visibly asses the card based on the criteria grading companies use before sending it in, your taking a completely blind gamble.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
As the poster above said SlabSharks is the big Canadian consignor. Here's a video of a guy that used them and the results

As for the grading and auctioning, these guys are US based but are highly reputable. I'd contact them with questions about cards coming in from Canada if you're serious about it. Let them know the cards you're thinking about sending to see if it's worth it.

https://pcsportscards.com/

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
comc.com

They have direct with UD redemptions, Blowout Cards and BGS grading. They hold and sell your cards for you and you can also have them send your cards to BGS for you. Of course you pay the grading fee.

Basically you send them your cards, pay 50 cents USD per card (so send cards only if you know for sure they will sell for $1 or more) and then they take care of the rest. They hold your cards indefinitely.

They'll also "rate" your cards for you and even send back to you any cards in too bad of a condition. They roughly only sell cards in raw state (ungraded and unslabbed) at a grade of around PSA 8 for modern cards.

Last edited:
Reactions: CutOnDime97

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
comc.com

They have direct with UD redemptions, Blowout Cards and BGS grading. They hold and sell your cards for you and you can also have them send your cards to BGS for you. Of course you pay the grading fee.

Basically you send them your cards, pay 50 cents USD per card (so send cards only if you know for sure they will sell for $1 or more) and then they take care of the rest. They hold your cards indefinitely.

They'll also "rate" your cards for you and even send back to you any cards in too bad of a condition. They roughly only sell cards in raw state (ungraded and unslabbed) at a grade of around PSA 8 for modern cards.
COMC has a deal with PSA nowadays not BGS. I highly recommend COMC for certain stuff as well, have sent them a bunch and it has always been smooth. I have read the rule of thumb is $3+ due to the 10% they take when you cash out your store credit. Definitely think there's cards that make a lot more sense to list on eBay or use an eBay consignor though.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad