World Cup: National Team threads #2

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Mbappe has just used his "NT holidays" to go to a trip in Sweden for 3 days. Clubbing at least two nights. Cell phones were not allowed in the club and yet he still was caught.

What a captain. Guy is such on a downhill path and he has to do a huge 180 turnaround on his behaviour.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Mbappe has just used his "NT holidays" to go to a trip in Sweden for 3 days. Clubbing at least two nights. Cell phones were not allowed in the club and yet he still was caught.

What a captain. Guy is such on a downhill path and he has to do a huge 180 turnaround on his behaviour.
I mean people are allowed to live their life no?

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Sure but when you refuse international duty to rest from 'injury' but then you end up playing against Villareal after that and then take a 4-hour flight (so 8H total) to Sweden and you go clubbing...that's rough.
Is clubbing supposed to keep someone from recovering from injury? I dunno, when I decide to take a week off work to recover, I don't just sit around inside. In fact I try to go on much longer flights.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Sure but when you refuse international duty to rest from 'injury' but then you end up playing against Villareal after that and then take a 4-hour flight (so 8H total) to Sweden and you go clubbing...that's rough.
Yeah, it is not a good look.

I feel like Mbappé is a little "tired" of the NT. At Madrid, he has been a model citizen by all accounts. But his behavior towards France is weird.

Reactions: luiginb

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Is clubbing supposed to keep someone from recovering from injury? I dunno, when I decide to take a week off work to recover, I don't just sit around inside. In fact I try to go on much longer flights.

Absolutely but you're not an elite athlete. I'm sure Mbappe isn't flying in economy but if you're clubbing I'm assuming you're at the very least staying up very late, which I'd assume isn't ideal for any sort of recovery he needs.

Add unto it that he played a game after declining the call-up, I get the frustration from fans.

Brunkmeister

Sep 4, 2021

Stureplan are well known for their ladyboys. Can’t really blame him.

• Haha
Reactions: luiginb

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona

I feel like Mbappé is a little "tired" of the NT. At Madrid, he has been a model citizen by all accounts. But his behavior towards France is weird.
Yeah Evilo has been acting a bit like a spurned lover over the saga, but it's not a good look for Mbappe

I think he's generally a likeable dude, generally like and agree with his political stance, but he seems to be going a bit off the rails lately.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that if your country's captain is missing international duty due to injury, he is with his club doing physio and recovery work.

Couple that with the fact that he played the Villarreal game after he had dropped out injured?

I'd be furious if I were Deschamps, one of his teammates, or a fan. Giving him the armband was widely described as a strange choice at the time - a case of catering to your star player being the centre of everything. That take has been incredibly vindicated by the last year.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Wow, Egypt's players do not like their coach Hossam Hassan a bit, they're all ignoring him and his lame attempts at hugs when they get subbed out.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that if your country's captain is missing international duty due to injury, he is with his club doing physio and recovery work.

Couple that with the fact that he played the Villarreal game after he had dropped out injured?

I'd be furious if I were Deschamps, one of his teammates, or a fan. Giving him the armband was widely described as a strange choice at the time - a case of catering to your star player being the centre of everything. That take has been incredibly vindicated by the last year.
I think the error is saying it was injury. If they had just said general fatigue, then that would be the end of it.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Add to that his team made a whole press article about Mbappe using that time to get in great physical shape with a special training program.

That clubbing escapade is hardly being a model citizen instead of resting and training.

Yeah Evilo has been acting a bit like a spurned lover over the saga, but it's not a good look for Mbappe

I think he's generally a likeable dude, generally like and agree with his political stance, but he seems to be going a bit off the rails lately.
If you were being honest I have criticized Mbappe's play for months.

Brunkmeister

Sep 4, 2021
Well i was wrong so far.

Ayari! What a goal. Deserved.

Incredible half from us. Best i’ve seen since i dunno.

Last edited:

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Germany flat out dominant, score like 3 disallowed goals...then immediately concede on a basic set piece and suddenly there's tension in the air as Bosnia sense an opening. Classic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad