Hockey Cards - Part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Cubs2024wildcard

Hung out with Livvy Dunne. You didnt.
Apr 29, 2015
What are the odds a card like this is real, I picked this up at a show a few weeks ago, I am always skeptical of the game used stuff especially from really old players but it only cost like $30 and I figured it was worth it, I mean how can they verify this was actually a game used item from Jacques Plante and not some random old gear his relatives or someone sold to Leaf and said was his game used equipment
Well Leaf is pretty solid when it comes to actual game used stuff. If I recall they got alot of flack for buying game used Vezina pads and butchering them up for cards.

I say you did good getting a museum piece for 30.

Cubs2024wildcard

Apr 29, 2015
Well to be honest - there's no way to be absolutely sure that any current memorabilia cards are 100% authentic. But I guess we can trust the major card companies about stuff like this ????:dunno:
The Topps baseball mem with the little stickers on them are 100% game used. They give you a code to tell you exactly what game they came from.

Everything else? Your guess is as good as mine. It wouldn't shock me if they still do the stack of jerseys and have the player swipe his hand down them. You have to consider the amount of material cards on the market every year it's like the companies would have to purchase every single jersey from every single game to accommodate all of them now a days...

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The Topps baseball mem with the little stickers on them are 100% game used. They give you a code to tell you exactly what game they came from.

Everything else? Your guess is as good as mine. It wouldn't shock me if they still do the stack of jerseys and have the player swipe his hand down them. You have to consider the amount of material cards on the market every year it's like the companies would have to purchase every single jersey from every single game to accommodate all of them now a days...
I don't know how many cards can you make from one jersey? Maybe I'll do some measuring this weekend.

I was collecting the game used jersey cards for awhile then I started thinking what for. Be better off just saving up and buying a game used jersey

Now getting a game used card with fabric from a player not playing anymore, maybe that's something I'd still have interest in at a deal.

Reactions: DaGreatOne

Cubs2024wildcard

Apr 29, 2015
Was at the National and can say with 100% certainty hockey is a dead market.

The guy pulling the auto McDavid jersey and asking who was he was the capper.

Gretzky is the hockey market.

Good thing I started dumping months ago.

Reactions: tacogeoff

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018

Right now is a weird time because alot of the people who got into the hobby have lost interest abd left yet at the same time the hobby brought in plenty of people who will collect for awhile if not forever. Alot of my cards have gone up in value since I started collecting in October 2020. I'm not in it to make money but if I ever had to offload my stuff I'm not sure how the prices will be in the future. I doubt McDavid stuff will go down in price in the future as well as other superstar players.

The thing that's really messing with hockey cards and others sports is Upper Deck/Topps/Panini diluting their product and charging more money every year. That's what has driven alot of people away. Why am I going to spend a 150$ on a box of cards and literally not make half of it back in return after ripping the packs open ? The best part of the hobby is ripping product too so that's the shitty part with the current state of card collecting

When the new 2023-24 stuff drops alot of people are going to come back to chase Bedard. He's already been announced as a redemption for the newest MVP line. I'm sure that stuff is going to fly off the shelf and it's literally their cheapest card set.

The hobby might be a dead market in your opinion but it's still got a good following.

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
Right now is a weird time because alot of the people who got into the hobby have lost interest abd left yet at the same time the hobby brought in plenty of people who will collect for awhile if not forever. Alot of my cards have gone up in value since I started collecting in October 2020. I'm not in it to make money but if I ever had to offload my stuff I'm not sure how the prices will be in the future. I doubt McDavid stuff will go down in price in the future as well as other superstar players.

The thing that's really messing with hockey cards and others sports is Upper Deck/Topps/Panini diluting their product and charging more money every year. That's what has driven alot of people away. Why am I going to spend a 150$ on a box of cards and literally not make half of it back in return after ripping the packs open ? The best part of the hobby is ripping product too so that's the shitty part with the current state of card collecting

When the new 2023-24 stuff drops alot of people are going to come back to chase Bedard. He's already been announced as a redemption for the newest MVP line. I'm sure that stuff is going to fly off the shelf and it's literally their cheapest card set.

The hobby might be a dead market in your opinion but it's still got a good following.
Considering last year's boxes are still not sold out means they are way over produced. The current prices don't reflect the potential pop count of cards and are due for a massive correction.

Reactions: PizzaAndPucks

Cubs2024wildcard

Apr 29, 2015

Well, if you started collecting in 2020, you are a pandemic collector.

There is a shit ton of product out there and unless the stuff is numbered to five and high grade, it's not going to keep what little value it has.

That's just the reality of the climate. The national is pretty much the bar. If nobody is buying current crap and the only thing selling is graded Gretzky, I'll put more weight behind that then anything a new collector thinks what the future holds.

As for Bedard. Sure, UD is going to sell a ton of cards.

But, they are going to mass produce them also. Upper deck miss the boat in 2015 with Mcdavids YG. And to make up for it, they made set after set after set on top of printing the hell outta series two. Bedards cards will come out white hot then unless he's the second coming of Gretzky there's going to be so many of them that whomever wants one will be able to get one.

Bedards YG will be presaled at 500. Easy.

And unless he's putting up 150 points on the shitty Hawks team around him that YG will drop to 200 by the end of the year. Then the high grades will be strong at 500.

See, I've been thru this before. Hockey is a niche sport in terms of sports cards. Pokemon blows it away. It's never going to be bigger then the main three sports and is a horrible investment outside of vintage.

If you like collecting, great. Investing? Your better off throwing your money away on crypto.

PizzaAndPucks

Nov 29, 2018
Well, if you started collecting in 2020, you are a pandemic collector.

There is a shit ton of product out there and unless the stuff is numbered to five and high grade, it's not going to keep what little value it has.

That's just the reality of the climate. The national is pretty much the bar. If nobody is buying current crap and the only thing selling is graded Gretzky, I'll put more weight behind that then anything a new collector thinks what the future holds.

As for Bedard. Sure, UD is going to sell a ton of cards.

But, they are going to mass produce them also. Upper deck miss the boat in 2015 with Mcdavids YG. And to make up for it, they made set after set after set on top of printing the hell outta series two. Bedards cards will come out white hot then unless he's the second coming of Gretzky there's going to be so many of them that whomever wants one will be able to get one.

Bedards YG will be presaled at 500. Easy.

And unless he's putting up 150 points on the shitty Hawks team around him that YG will drop to 200 by the end of the year. Then the high grades will be strong at 500.

See, I've been thru this before. Hockey is a niche sport in terms of sports cards. Pokemon blows it away. It's never going to be bigger then the main three sports and is a horrible investment outside of vintage.

If you like collecting, great. Investing? Your better off throwing your money away on crypto.
Yeah the sports card market has its ups and downs but collecting guys like McDavid , Ovechkin , Crosby , Makar etc is a safe investment as long as you aren't spending your life savings.

And yes I'm a pandemic collector but I'm still here collecting 3 years later while many people left. I'm not in this to make money but if I sell my stuff and make money now or in the future than I won't be complaining. I usually buy singles cards off ebay and do orders off of comc. I'll go to the occasional card show by me and buy stuff but I don't drop a ton of money on cards so I'll be able to do this for as long as I want too. Yeah it's cool to see your cards for up in value and it's an uncertainty of how that will be 10 , 20 , 30 years from now but even if they don't go up in value and I'm still alive than I won't care because the collection will still have plenty of sentimental value to me.

Reactions: insomniac

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I use to collect hockey cards from 1978 till 94

Can anyone do up a list of must have rookie cards from 95 on up. I'd like to up my game for my man cave
Crosby, Ovechkin, McDavid, Bedard*

Maybe Makar.

Guys like Fox have even dropped in popularity it seems.

Before then it's Lemieux, Gretzky and Roy*

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
PSA sub popped recently. Here are a few of my favorites from the batch.

1692097930407.png
1692097941743.png

1692097961513.png
1692097974796.png

PizzaAndPucks

Nov 29, 2018
In the past few weeks I've been buying up singles on eBay I wish I had in the day. Something about those 00-01 BAP series (not ultimate) and Jerseys that I could never pull. The Pinnacle mask series also a favorite, cards are cheap and fulfill the nostalgia
Give comc a shot. Saved me alot of money.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I've recently sold several Connor Bedard PSA 10s in a Canada/WHL uniform. Put some of my profits into this Bedard. I picked it up at 50% below the average sale price since January.

Yes, the CHL stuff normally drops like a rock once NHL products come out... but I do wonder how much a CHL Star Rookie Exclusives of MacKinnon/McDavid/Stamkos would fetch if those cards were produced.

1692615438322.png

Reactions: PizzaAndPucks

budaj guy

Mar 7, 2012
Northern Alberta
How many people here use COMC for buying or selling? I’m in Canada, so hearing other Canadian opinions would be nice. Is it worth it for selling? The fees don’t seem any more friendly than eBay, though it would be much easier to sell cheaper singles on COMC. As far as buying, it seems like that might be more efficient on COMC. Stockpile cards and get one bulk shipment.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
How many people here use COMC for buying or selling? I’m in Canada, so hearing other Canadian opinions would be nice. Is it worth it for selling? The fees don’t seem any more friendly than eBay, though it would be much easier to sell cheaper singles on COMC. As far as buying, it seems like that might be more efficient on COMC. Stockpile cards and get one bulk shipment.
I like COMC. Been using it for years. Mainly used it for the US mailbox service and saved a lot in shipping many purchases from USA to Canada. One thing to note when getting stuff shipped from COMC to you, since the warehouses are in the US, you’ll likely pay customs fees. Some people don’t realize this and it can be a surprise. On the other hand, you don’t pay monthly storage fees for them to hold your cards. You only pay the processing for them to receive your package and upload the cards to your account.

I had a small amount of cards listed but for a while and would get the occasional sale, and I did some flipping. Eventually I sent more in (I’ve always submitted directly to COMC at the expo in Toronto) and have loved the convenience of them handling the shipping, and just avoiding some of the BS the occasional buyers bring on eBay. From my sales probably about 30% have come via eBay on COMC since they list many fixed priced listenings on eBay anyway.

I don’t get the volume of sales like I did during the pandemic, but to be fair, while the market has slowed since then, I also don’t have a lot of new product and current rookies listed either. I am a patient though, which I think is important.

A few tips for selling: cards listed for $0.75 or less don’t incur monthly storage fees. However, this was better when it was $0.30 per card to submit, whereas I believe it’s $0.50 per card now. For cards in the $100 range, if you list at $99.74 or less, you don’t pay the elite processing. Before sending stuff in, search your cards on COMC to see what others have them listed for. Once sets hit UD epack, people can transfer their cards to COMC, which floods the market fast and asking prices can plummet. Finally, if any of your cards have creases, chips, rough edges, etc, its often best to keep it. These will often get a condition note or sometimes rejected.

budaj guy

Mar 7, 2012
Northern Alberta
I like COMC. Been using it for years. Mainly used it for the US mailbox service and saved a lot in shipping many purchases from USA to Canada. One thing to note when getting stuff shipped from COMC to you, since the warehouses are in the US, you’ll likely pay customs fees. Some people don’t realize this and it can be a surprise. On the other hand, you don’t pay monthly storage fees for them to hold your cards. You only pay the processing for them to receive your package and upload the cards to your account.

I had a small amount of cards listed but for a while and would get the occasional sale, and I did some flipping. Eventually I sent more in (I’ve always submitted directly to COMC at the expo in Toronto) and have loved the convenience of them handling the shipping, and just avoiding some of the BS the occasional buyers bring on eBay. From my sales probably about 30% have come via eBay on COMC since they list many fixed priced listenings on eBay anyway.

I don’t get the volume of sales like I did during the pandemic, but to be fair, while the market has slowed since then, I also don’t have a lot of new product and current rookies listed either. I am a patient though, which I think is important.

A few tips for selling: cards listed for $0.75 or less don’t incur monthly storage fees. However, this was better when it was $0.30 per card to submit, whereas I believe it’s $0.50 per card now. For cards in the $100 range, if you list at $99.74 or less, you don’t pay the elite processing. Before sending stuff in, search your cards on COMC to see what others have them listed for. Once sets hit UD epack, people can transfer their cards to COMC, which floods the market fast and asking prices can plummet. Finally, if any of your cards have creases, chips, rough edges, etc, its often best to keep it. These will often get a condition note or sometimes rejected.
Thanks for the detailed response, I appreciate it! I’m not much of a seller and would mostly use it to buy, but I do have a few things to sell. Nothing expensive at all, mostly inserts from opening a few hobby boxes and some young guns.

Reactions: Canadian Game

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB

I have to agree. My son has started into collecting pokemon cards so i found two very old big binders and a box of score/upper deck cards and went through all of them. my highest cards was a whopping 12.00 for a gretzky. all cards are from early to mid 90s. I actually found some 90s marvel cards in with them and four of them totaled over 120$ (if graded) lol.

so im def moving into the pokemon/one piece collecting with him for fun and not going to bother looking at hockey cards for him.

Last edited:

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY
I never heard of it before but checked it out after reading your post. Prices for high end cards appear to be higher than ebay. But i only checked out Ovi cards as this is what ive been primaraly collecting in past few years.

budaj guy

Mar 7, 2012
Northern Alberta
I never heard of it before but checked it out after reading your post. Prices for high end cards appear to be higher than ebay. But i only checked out Ovi cards as this is what ive been primaraly collecting in past few years.
I noticed that on some of the cards I collect, but then I’d see a card for half of what I just paid on eBay (not high end, more the mid-range stuff). The shipping on eBay is what’s brutal, especially when it’s a card from the USA. Card will be $5, but then shipping is $15-20. Can’t buy singles at those rates. Biggest advantage I see, as a Canadian, with COMC is the ability to buy singles and then do one bulk shipment once I have enough to spread the cost.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I noticed that on some of the cards I collect, but then I’d see a card for half of what I just paid on eBay (not high end, more the mid-range stuff). The shipping on eBay is what’s brutal, especially when it’s a card from the USA. Card will be $5, but then shipping is $15-20. Can’t buy singles at those rates. Biggest advantage I see, as a Canadian, with COMC is the ability to buy singles and then do one bulk shipment once I have enough to spread the cost.
I don't check COMC website really, but when I see cards they're selling for people on ebay the cards are all over priced and if the shipping was free I more than likely wouldn't buy from there anyways.

Screenshot_20230823_103007_eBay.jpg

The avs card sold for over 100 dollars.

The Habs one sold for 82 canadian, shipping included.

I'm guess either people didn't know about the Habs one, or because the other one is from Ice and likely a more expensive set it's value went up ?

Looking at the cards, I'd rather the Remnants one, but the avs one being from a more expensive set is the only way see that card being worth more.

Or no one noticed the Remnants card, except a lucky person.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230823_103059_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20230823_103059_eBay.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 3

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I've been using COMC for a while to sell cards that are $1-100. I don't have the time to add cheap cards to my eBay account, so I like using COMC to passively sell cards and then consolidate the funds into cards for my collection. I think the average price of a card in my portfolio right now is about $5. I'm a small fish on the website but I've sold over 6,000 cards on the platform since 2021.

Worth noting that COMC charges 50 cents to process your card, so you need to have your finger on the pulse for cards you're sending to them. Also, COMC's fees add up quite a bit when you look to cash out (they take a 10% cash out fee) and then if you live in Canada you've gotta find someone whos looking for Paypal in USD, otherwise you'll end up eating a few more % off Paypal's USD->CAD conversion fee. This is why I prefer to continue to buy cards I like on the platform .... and intermittently request shipments to my house once I have a sizeable amount.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad