Hockey Cards - Part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Cubs2024wildcard

Hung out with Livvy Dunne. You didnt.
Apr 29, 2015
What's you guys prediction on Connor Bedard's Young Gun going for? 200$ USD?
500 easy at jump.

But.....I want to point out there's 10k Connor McDavid young guns, 7k at bgs 9.5 and around 2.5k at psa 10, in high grade. And that was before a pandemic, sport card "investors", hobby "gem rate" derpy apps, and social media influencers promoting pump and dumps weekly.

Trae Young prizm rookies were once at 300 bucks in psa 10. There's over 12k of them in that condition. That's a 20 dollar card and if your paying more then that you are a fool.

Upper deck is going to print that shit for the next two years if not three. They will print that shit until people stop ordering it and even then will print more of it just in case.

Bedards YG is going to be a huge card, but I wouldn't invest in anything of his without a serial number on it. Every idiot on WhatNot is going to be breaking cases of it, pulling them, and not sending them to winners but to psa instead.

The money is going to be in the cheaper stuff. OPC, platinum, the cheaper brands.

Reactions: Byfield

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
McDavid's Young Gun was going for $200 USD in 2015, Kucherov's $14, and Draisaitl's about the same. Some day I'll pull up screenshots that I took of all these prices. I was flipping cards back then. Still mad that I didn't hold onto them longer.

At one time I owned the world's greatest Shea Theodore rookie collection. Here are a few of the cards I had.

UD YOUNG GUNS ACETATE 5.JPG
UD YOUNG GUNS ACETATE 5.JPG
UD YOUNG GUNS HIGH GLOSS #3.JPG
UD YOUNG GUNS HIGH GLOSS #5.JPG
UD YOUNG GUNS HIGH GLOSS #6.JPG
UD YOUNG GUNS HIGH GLOSS #8.JPG
UD YOUNG GUNS HIGH GLOSS #9.JPG
Upper Deck The Cup Black Plate 1 of 1.JPG
UD YOUNG GUNS EXCLUSIVES #1.JPG
ULTIMATE PATCH 6 OF 10.JPG
UPPER DECK THE CUP EXQUISITE RPA #6 OF 53.JPG
UPPER DECK THE CUP ROOKIE AUTO #18 OF 36.JPG
UPPER DECK THE CUP RPA #88 OF 249.JPG
UPPER DECK THE CUP RPA#12 OF 24 GOLD.JPG
UPPER DECK THE CUP RPA#226 OF 249.JPG
UPPER DECK THE CUP SIGNATURE PATCHES #21 OF 99.JPG
UPPER DECK THE CUP SIGNATURE PATCHES #31 OF 99.JPG
UPPER DECK THE CUP SIGNATURE PATCHES #97 OF 99.JPG
PREMIER SUPER ROOKIES RPA #2 OF 15.JPG
PREMIER ROOKIE AUTO 1 OF 1.JPG
PREMIER RPA #6 OF 15.JPG
IMG_6533.JPG
FLEER SHOWCASE WHITE HOT PROSPECTS #2 OF 5.JPG
UD YOUNG GUNS ACETATE 5.JPGUD YOUNG GUNS HIGH GLOSS #3.JPGUD YOUNG GUNS HIGH GLOSS #5.JPGUD YOUNG GUNS HIGH GLOSS #6.JPGUD YOUNG GUNS HIGH GLOSS #8.JPGUD YOUNG GUNS HIGH GLOSS #9.JPGUpper Deck The Cup Black Plate 1 of 1.JPGUD YOUNG GUNS EXCLUSIVES #1.JPGULTIMATE PATCH 6 OF 10.JPGUPPER DECK THE CUP EXQUISITE RPA #6 OF 53.JPGUPPER DECK THE CUP ROOKIE AUTO #18 OF 36.JPGUPPER DECK THE CUP RPA #88 OF 249.JPGUPPER DECK THE CUP RPA#12 OF 24 GOLD.JPGUPPER DECK THE CUP RPA#226 OF 249.JPGUPPER DECK THE CUP SIGNATURE PATCHES #21 OF 99.JPGUPPER DECK THE CUP SIGNATURE PATCHES #31 OF 99.JPGUPPER DECK THE CUP SIGNATURE PATCHES #97 OF 99.JPGPREMIER SUPER ROOKIES RPA #2 OF 15.JPGPREMIER ROOKIE AUTO 1 OF 1.JPGPREMIER RPA #6 OF 15.JPGIMG_6533.JPGFLEER SHOWCASE WHITE HOT PROSPECTS #2 OF 5.JPG

Last edited:

Sensatauro

Dec 30, 2012
Sp I used to be a large collector back in the day. But its been a decade plus since I bought cards. What are the quality card brands these days. If one was to buy a case or two what brings best bang for your buck.

The cards look pretty sharp these days and I like to try and grab me a couple of the rookies this year like many.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
All you Young Guns lovers, Michkov is getting the cards prepared

Curious how the players go about that: rookies are signing literally thousands of cards, and while it is spread out over the year, do they sit down and do it all when the packages arrive, or do they sign a few at a time here and there, or what?

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Curious how the players go about that: rookies are signing literally thousands of cards, and while it is spread out over the year, do they sit down and do it all when the packages arrive, or do they sign a few at a time here and there, or what?
Are they getting paid for doing it though ? They’re currently under no contract with NHLPA or other org

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
Couple of my favourite.

Attachments

• 3F1ECA73-70E8-4CF7-A066-2901100273FA.jpeg
    3F1ECA73-70E8-4CF7-A066-2901100273FA.jpeg
    232.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 4E6954E4-60AA-4985-91AB-D074436DD73E.jpeg
    4E6954E4-60AA-4985-91AB-D074436DD73E.jpeg
    139.9 KB · Views: 9

Cubs2024wildcard

Apr 29, 2015
ESPN looks at the world of box breaks.

i

Is it gambling? Is it just good fun? Both? Either way, breaking open boxes of sports cards on camera now rules the memorabilia industry.

How box breaks took over the memorabilia industry
And Breakers are now getting shut down/strict limitations by Fanatics.

This article did more damage to breakers then the shady guys actually breaking, and there's alot of them out there.

The idiot bragging about making 20 million dollars obviously had no clue saying something like that wouldn't turn a few heads in the government. Anything to get that internet clout even if it means going to jail.

In what, the last few weeks there's been some underhanded crap with the best being the guy with the 1500 bounty for a pokemon card, pulls it live, then magically replaces it with a different card when everyone saw the rare card.

Breaks weren't going to last without regulations. Gambling is regulated, and anybody who didn't think the government wasn't going to look for their cut of the proceeds is foolish. There's alot of scumbags out there who took money from unsuspecting collectors AND took the cards and pretty much ruined it for the legit breakers.

Reactions: Byfield

Cubs2024wildcard

Apr 29, 2015
ESPN looks at the world of box breaks.

i

Is it gambling? Is it just good fun? Both? Either way, breaking open boxes of sports cards on camera now rules the memorabilia industry.

How box breaks took over the memorabilia industry
And Breakers are now getting shut down/strict limitations by Fanatics.

This article did more damage to breakers then the shady guys actually breaking, and there's alot of them out there.

The idiot bragging about making 20 million dollars obviously had no clue saying something like that wouldn't turn a few heads in the government.
Why are Pasta YG’s in high grade so limited compared to other top guys?
Good question.

I think alot has to do with Pasta not being a hobby darling until the pandemic and then the prices of boxes exploded to the point of not worth gambling on.

There's 400 graded on psa with 127 I think being 10's. At 127 psa 10's, that card is under valued for whatever it's selling for.

There's alot of unopened 2014. If those numbers don't change a Pasta 10 blows up to a 5k card if he ever won a cup.

Cubs2024wildcard

Apr 29, 2015
This is weird considering I just saw a video on this.

Natilie Decker made a video where she gets the cards shipped to her and it's for every set she's in.

Of course there's the "omgz look at all these cards" overlay. But I didn't see an actual rep from Panini anywhere in the video.

There could have been, tho. I was looking at her ass......

• Haha
Reactions: joestevens29

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Why are Pasta YG’s in high grade so limited compared to other top guys?
Three reasons:

1. I think across the board, Upper Deck printed less cards in their 2014-15 runs. There was a peak in 2013-14 thanks to the "Double Rookie Class" but the 2014-15 class didn't have a lot going for it during that season and was seen as being a weak rookie crop at the time.

2. I also think a rule of thumb is that UDS2 is printed less than UDS1. Pastrnak was in UDS2.. so double whammy.

3. People eventually recognized there was value in 14-15 UDS2 yg crop (Pastrnak, Vasilevskiy, Horvat)- and that increased the price of wax... and now less is being opened/available because it's either locked away or priced too high for people to have an appetite to gamble. I did a quick look on ebay/the usual wax sites to see if any hobby boxes were available for purchase and couldnt find any results.

Green

Nov 13, 2019
What are the odds a card like this is real, I picked this up at a show a few weeks ago, I am always skeptical of the game used stuff especially from really old players but it only cost like $30 and I figured it was worth it, I mean how can they verify this was actually a game used item from Jacques Plante and not some random old gear his relatives or someone sold to Leaf and said was his game used equipment

Attachments

• 20230704_040507.jpg
    20230704_040507.jpg
    340.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230705_220429.jpg
    20230705_220429.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 9

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
What are the odds a card like this is real, I picked this up at a show a few weeks ago, I am always skeptical of the game used stuff especially from really old players but it only cost like $30 and I figured it was worth it, I mean how can they verify this was actually a game used item from Jacques Plante and not some random old gear his relatives or someone sold to Leaf and said was his game used equipment
Well to be honest - there's no way to be absolutely sure that any current memorabilia cards are 100% authentic. But I guess we can trust the major card companies about stuff like this ????:dunno:

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
after watching a lot of OPC-Plat box openings, man, its amazing to see that basically ALL the parallels are horrible off-center. Like every card that might hold value. Even 1-of-1s are bad.

terrible QC for a 'high end' product.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad