Value of: Ho-sang

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Did people really say that about Nino, though? From what I recall, the consensus was bashing Snow because of how he handled Niederreiter. Nino was doing well in the AHL, didn't get a call up, then got frustrated.

This case is a bit different because Ho-Sang's got a rep for being like this. Apart from that single incident with being upset about not being called up, I don't recall Nino -- before or since -- being seen as some sort of malcontent.
Nino was bashed for his 1 pt in 55 nhl games.
He was bashed because after dominating in the first half of his AHL season (20 + goals), he quit playing hard and had 1 or 2 total goals in the second half of his AHL season, after the isles refused to call him up.

There were plenty of armchair GMs insisting he was an nhl bust or locker room problem child.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
But he didn't demand a trade until the following year, where he played the entire year in the AHL, put up points, but then was passed over for promotion sometime around the 40 or 50 game mark.

He was near a point per game in the AHL at that point, got angry about not being called up, then had a pretty mediocre finish to his season before asking for his trade.

I don't recall (not saying it didn't happen, just that I don't recall reading anything about it) him having an issue with the Isles until that second season when he played in the AHL and thought he deserved a promotion to the NHL about midway through.

Yeah, I looked it up and you're right about the AHL demotion. He did ask for the trade officially mid-season in January according to this article:

Source: Isles' Niederreiter wants to be traded

At any rate, I'm hoping Snow learned from the Nino debacle. 0% of Wild fans would undo the Nino trade if asked. It's like the old saying about negotiating with terrorists: once you give one group a million dollars to release the hostages, some other group will be enticed to capture hostages for their own million dollars. Snow has to set an example with Ho-Sang that prospects do not make the team when they feel like it.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Would you like to deal him to the rangers , I would like to see how he would fit
Would the rangers like to over pay with their first because hated rivals rarely if ever,trade top prospects to each other and I am scratching my head,trying to figure out why a ranger fan would expect the isles to buy high on JHS,then sell him low to a hated rival :help:

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Did people really say that about Nino, though? From what I recall, the consensus was bashing Snow because of how he handled Niederreiter. Nino was doing well in the AHL, didn't get a call up, then got frustrated.

This case is a bit different because Ho-Sang's got a rep for being like this. Apart from that single incident with being upset about not being called up, I don't recall Nino -- before or since -- being seen as some sort of malcontent.
sid that wasnt on Snow, that was on instruction of the owner. and then overhardt was being a ass trying to force the isles to call him up to get an NHL salary instead of a the minor league portion of a split salary.

what snow did wrong was allowing overhardt to get under his skin, when he threatened to have Nino hold out, or play in russia the next season. then in a fit of pique, snow traded him to minnesota, what Snow should have done is say go ahead

being Smarter now I fully expect Snow to let Ho sang rot in bridgeport until he learns that his temper tantrums wont help him, he cant go anywhere and even when his contract is done, he can be qualified at his minor league salary...

sooner or later he'll get the point

Last edited:

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
so correct me if im reading you wrong, in effect youre saying he just thinks he's better than anyone else. isnt that being a spoiled brat? thinking he's entitled to something without earning it?

to me, in that case, trading him is the same as rewarding him for bad behavior

Huh? I wasn't disagreeing with you, I'm saying he probably grew up with a sense of entitlement, that's more likely why he's the way he is than having issues in school or anything...

As per the trade, I'm not going to comment from an Islanders perspective, I just know I'd give him a shot on the Habs. Honestly though, he's played pretty well in his NHL stints and the comments I've seen from him really aren't all that bad

WhoTagz

Jan 28, 2017
Pennsylvania
Would the rangers like to over pay with their first because hated rivals rarely if ever,trade top prospects to each other and I am scratching my head,trying to figure out why a ranger fan would expect the isles to buy high on JHS,then sell him low to a hated rival :help:

Well then

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Huh? I wasn't disagreeing with you, I'm saying he probably grew up with a sense of entitlement, that's more likely why he's the way he is than having issues in school or anything...

As per the trade, I'm not going to comment from an Islanders perspective, I just know I'd give him a shot on the Habs. Honestly though, he's played pretty well in his NHL stints and the comments I've seen from him really aren't all that bad
i know i wasnt saying you were, im just saying that its a continuation of his pattern of making excuses. instead of looking at himself and saying "what must I do to earn my spot on an NHL roster" he's totally focused on how he is being unjustly persecuted, and denied of something he feels entitled to. no one is entitled to anything. you earn what you get. and the sooner Josh understands that the better off he will be.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Chiarelli loves trading for struggling busts. Oilers 1st 2018 straight up for Ho-sang?
Isles and Oilers swung the Davidson for a 3rd deal at the last TDL.
With Chia telling the press about wanting Edmonton to add speed,I wonder if JHS name came up at any point.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Is there a reason the isles simply do not leave him buried in Bridgeport until training camp?
no reason at all. I tweeted him earlier this morning, and I said the same and added when are you going to stop being your own worst enemy"

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
A few things about Ho-Sang. The Islanders knew what they were getting when they drafted him. They knew that there were maturity issues and there was a heightened sense of entitlement with him. That was something the Islanders knew and they allowed that foster. Just look at Snow's comments on the night the Islanders drafted Ho-Sang. Snow actually stoked the fire.

With that being said, Ho-Sang is 21 years old. It's too soon to give up on him. What the Islanders need to do this off season is sit down with Ho-Sang and his agent and they need to clear the air and let him know what they want and expect from him going forward. They need to lay down the law with Ho-Sang and they need to let him know that his behaviour is no longer acceptable and that he needs to decide whether he wants to be a player or not.

As for Ho-Sang, incredible talent. At the same time, it's time for him to grow up. Yes, play with that chip on your shoulder that your talent is just as good as everyone else. However, when things don't go your way, don't complain and point fingers at others. Take it upon yourself to get better. Those are things his agent should be on him about as well.

From a hockey stand point, I like Ho-Sang the player. There's an incredible talent there with great physical ability and obviously he has great hockey IQ as it pertains to the game. However, there's a lot of growing up and maturing to do. I also think the Islanders helped in creating the monster he's become. This is where having strong leadership in all places right from the get go could have straightened him out. I don't think it's too late, but now Snow and company have to get really tough with him and his agent needs to be on him as well.

Reactions: SharkAttack86

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
sid that wasnt on Snow, that was on instruction of the owner. and then overhardt was being a ass trying to force the isles to call him up to get an NHL salary instead of a the minor league portion of a split salary.

what snow did wrong was allowing overhardt to get under his skin, when he threatened to have Nino hold out, or play in russia the next season. then in a fit of pique, snow traded him to minnesota, what Snow should have done is say go ahead

being Smarter now I fully expect Snow to let Ho sang rot in bridgeport until he learns that his temper tantrums wont help him, he cant go anywhere and even when his contract is done, he can be qualified at his minor league salary...

sooner or later he'll get the point

So Nino was demoted, played well, wanted a call-up, didn't get it and was left to rot. Snow was forced to trade him for pennies on the dollar.

JHS was demoted, is playing well, wants a call-up and your "being smarter" move is to let him rot...

Maybe the lesson Snow should have taken from the Nino situation was to give his high potential players another chance and not ruin relationships with them?

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
Everything he said in that article is 100% true and good on him for calling out the obvious. Also props for acknowledging that his game is far from perfect.

I understand that there's a time to talk and a time to just put your head down and work. But after watching how this team has managed their roster, Josh has every right to speak up imo. And I think he did a good job to vent frustration while at the same being careful not to push too hard.

The idea that he's supposed to shut up and 'just take it' is ridiculous considering what's going on with the Islanders. Like take your head out of sand ffs. This isnt your ordinary team. Ho-Sang should have been up over Fritz, Prince, Chimera, Wagner, etc. So many useless plugs to choose from! The roster decisions have been a joke for years now. I'm done making excuses and giving them slack...f*** Garth Snow and his incompetent coaching staff.

Kid was lights out last season and at the time was pretty much one of the only bright spots on that joke of an organization. Ho-Sang is the biggest reason why Weight even has a job this year - remember that!

Fast forward to today and he's being sat for a bunch of BUMS that can't play fwd OR defense! Ridiculous! It's a joke! Kid is an NHL player.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
So Nino was demoted, played well, wanted a call-up, didn't get it and was left to rot. Snow was forced to trade him for pennies on the dollar.

JHS was demoted, is playing well, wants a call-up and your "being smarter" move is to let him rot...

Maybe the lesson Snow should have taken from the Nino situation was to give his high potential players another chance and not ruin relationships with them?

Except by all accounts Nino was doing everything expected of him during his AHL tenure to justify a call-up, while Ho-Sang is still not doing the things the organization wants him to do.

I'm the last person to defend moves Snow makes, but at some point with Ho-Sang, it's on him to make the adjustments. Seems like every time something doesn't go his way, he believes the onus is on everyone else to figure things out.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Hopefully Snow & Co. are getting canned soon so that Ho-Sang can get a fair crack.

Not interested in trading him, but I would agree that he wouldn't return full value today (even if he never made those comments).

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Everything he said in that article is 100% true and good on him for calling out the obvious. Also props for acknowledging that his game is far from perfect.

I understand that there's a time to talk and a time to just put your head down and work. But after watching how this team has managed their roster, Josh has every right to speak up imo. And I think he did a good job to vent frustration while at the same being careful not to push too hard.

The idea that he's supposed to shut up and 'just take it' is ridiculous considering what's going on with the Islanders. Like take your head out of sand ffs. This isnt your ordinary team. Ho-Sang should have been up over Fritz, Prince, Chimera, Wagner, etc. So many useless plugs to choose from! The roster decisions have been a joke for years now. I'm done making excuses and giving them slack...**** Garth Snow and his incompetent coaching staff.

Kid was lights out last season and at the time was pretty much one of the only bright spots on that joke of an organization. Ho-Sang is the biggest reason why Weight even has a job this year - remember that!

Fast forward to today and he's being sat for a bunch of BUMS that can't play fwd OR defense! Ridiculous! It's a joke! Kid is an NHL player.
thats hogwash,
he's had several issues in bridgeport this year as well, and hasnt produced down there at all. others were called up on merit Ho sang was left there on merit

tanner fritz 37 points in 33 games
ho sang 26 point in 41 games

merit means rewarding players who play hard even if they may not be the most talented., just like they rewarded Dal Colle with a few games in recognition of his efforts.

Ho Sang wasnt rewarded because as his quotes proved today, that he hasnt learned anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Sheva7

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad