U18: Hlinka Gretzky Cup 2024

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Canada vs. Sweden will be some game!
Interesting to see if the Swedish D can control those Canadian forwards.

SW2024

May 31, 2024
I am not saying all will make top 100, said if half of them does I will be happy, there will sure be some hit and misses. As for Mikel idk, he is not as his best right now I would say, but stil he was one of the best Ds for Zlin in Czech U20 as 16yrs old, I do expect he will play also with men in Czech 2 league with Zlin.

Idk some maybe not round for but somewhere at rounds 5-7 is not that much of a sci-fi for him. He also do have 192cm already, so if he gots a bit stronger he will be the big guys NHL teams seems to love these days.
To your last sentence:
Sometimes I wonder how bad a tall guy needs to be in order NOT to be considered a prospect :)
I mean, this is not basketball.
Just a remark!

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pazucha

Apr 3, 2023
Is it true that the last two matches of Slovakia will be not televised? That's 2/4 half of the tournament matches that the Slovak fans won't be able to see. :(

(2/4 if Slovakia can win against Switzerland)

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Is it true that the last two matches of Slovakia will be not televised? That's 2/4 half of the tournament matches that the Slovak fans won't be able to see. :(

(2/4 if Slovakia can win against Switzerland)
Switzerland made TV 1 game out of 3. If you get that timeslot, you get no TV. It sucks, but it is how it got lined up.

Reactions: Czechboy

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
I've watched both of Slovakia's games on TV so far. Today's game isn't on the schedule though.

There are 3 games per day on TV.

Televised games:

Canada 3/3
USA 3/3
Czechia 3/3
Sweden 2/3
Slovakia 2/3
Germany 2/3
Finland 2/3
Switzerland 1/3

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
I've watched both of Slovakia's games on TV so far. Today's game isn't on the schedule though.

Televised games:

Canada 3/3
USA 3/3
Czechia 3/3
Sweden 2/3
Slovakia 2/3
Germany 2/3
Finland 2/3
Switzerland 1/3
There are 4 games per day.

The 8:30pm Eastern game is not televised.

Each of the other 3 are. The 8:30 game is also at Downtown Community Arena, where the others are at Rogers whateverthehecktheycallit.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
This Finnish team is hard to watch.
Something is going wrong in Finland. Not sure what but something is off.

Thinking Germany vs USA is going to be closer than expected. Canada vs Sweden should be a banger.

Slovakia hopefully can beat the Swiss.

Czechs vs Finn's I don't think has any significance.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pazucha

Apr 3, 2023

Televised games:

Canada 3/3
USA 3/3
Czechia 3/3
Sweden 2/3
Slovakia 2/3
Germany 2/3
Finland 2/3
Switzerland 1/3
They could at least provide a low quality streams without commentary for games that are not televized.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Something is going wrong in Finland. Not sure what but something is off.

Thinking Germany vs USA is going to be closer than expected. Canada vs Sweden should be a banger.

Slovakia hopefully can beat the Swiss.

Czechs vs Finn's I don't think has any significance.
Yeah, I don't know what's happening in Finland but the quality of their teams has sure taken a nosedive, they will bounce back as they are too good a hockey nation not to but it seems they got caught in a "systems" rather then skill development thing because of the success they had. It happens.

I think Slovakia will beat the Swiss but it will likely be close, Canada should beat Sweden but they better be careful not to have a lapse like they did against the Slovaks yesterday.

Germany vs U.S could be a good game but I assume the U.S squeezes that one out, they are capable of playing good defense if nothing else.

A Canada-Czech final looks to be in the offing if all goes according to Hoyle.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
For Des Moines too. Really impressive considering how much that team & program has been floundering in recent years.
Honestly though, I think it’s the opposite. His stats inflated his current reputation.

He got amazing situations with no real pressure for results or defense because Des Moines had very few players. Ilya Protas who skates like he’s wearing a weighted vest also had great stats for them last year.

He’s a good prospect, but someone like Cooper Simpson who was playing bottom six on a better Tri-City team with a lot more depth is a better NHL prospect.

Kevan is 5’11/6’0 with only okay skating and no elite tool. Don’t see how he’s higher than a second rounder.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Yeah, I don't know what's happening in Finland but the quality of their teams has sure taken a nosedive, they will bounce back as they are too good a hockey nation not to but it seems they got caught in a "systems" rather then skill development thing because of the success they had. It happens.

I think Slovakia will beat the Swiss but it will likely be close, Canada should beat Sweden but they better be careful not to have a lapse like they did against the Slovaks yesterday.

Germany vs U.S could be a good game but I assume the U.S squeezes that one out, they are capable of playing good defense if nothing else.

A Canada-Czech final looks to be in the offing if all goes according to Hoyle.
Should is a strong word.

Reactions: Czechboy

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
USA was a lot better last night. We sustained offense a lot better. Kevan really showed up in a way he didn’t against Czechia. Simpson was buzzing. He has 0 points through 2 games (team only has 4 goals to be fair), but he drew three penalties, hit the post, and gave a teammate a pass for a breakaway that was missed. Might be due for like a 5 point game against Germany.

Thought Sykora and Moe were better too and Hayes, Lansing, and Jette can add a little offense also.

Defense and goaltending continues to be strong. Each pairing does okay because each has a good prospect (Fiddler on 1, Rombach on 2, and Grimes/Bleyl on 3). Only thing I don’t like is the coaches roll the pairs straight through. There’s no situational changing of them. Engle gets way too many important shifts just because he’s paired with Fiddler. He’s arguably the worst of the 7 defensemen. Crazy he’s out there late trying to protect leads while Grimes doesn’t get those shifts. Cameron continues to do well in the net also.

Reactions: kudla and jj cale

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Ooo TSN is streaming 5th place match so there is "potential" reward for winning vs Czechia.

Otherwise next tournament hockey U17 Finnkampen and U20 Swiss tournament in 3 weeks

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad