U18: Hlinka Gretzky Cup 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
It would likely be for the NHL guys to have easier travel to the games. I didn't like how the tournament was marketed and the attendance was not good.
True. But good players from all countries participated when the tournament only took place in the Czech Republic, so clearly there was some motivation to attend regardless of location. So might as well go back to the previous approach when spectators actually turned up and gave the tournament the audience it deserved.

Reactions: Czechboy

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
It wasn’t the same schedule. It’s industry knowledge that Canada always gets the plum time slots in short tournaments — hosting or not — because TSN needs to please their corporate advertisers. This isn’t a conspiracy theory. It’s sports broadcasting 101 and has been the case for decades.

I have input every U18 and U20 tournament schedule into a spreadsheet since 2015. I used to post it on twitter and my blog in a simplified manner for fans because nobody else did. It was around 2017 when I noticed Canada got the better time slots, easier opening matchups, etc. and it has not changed since. This was a hypothesis from empirical data — take the last 50 U18-U20 tournaments involving Canada and you will deduce that TSN drives the schedule, not the host federation. That is why Tardiff in 2021 said the IIHF needed the WJC to play through COVID “to survive” - TV ads were created and ad space were purchased for millions, for millions of Canadians (literally) to ingest. Cancelling the games because of an outbreak suddenly became negotiable. Literally life and death became negotiable for WJC revenue until common f***ing sense prevailed.

Again, this is an observation that is validated every tournament Canada plays in. When I brought it up on Twitter back in the day, only a handful of Canadians got defensive (like you did) while everyone else agreed that it was unfair but par for the course for sports broadcasting. I’ve accepted it as both valid and annoying, which is why I always point it out.
Again, you just look ridiculous. I do appreciate the more detailed tinfoil hat post. The tournament organizer sets the schedule. You can complain that Canada hosts it too often, and I'd even agree, but you cannot invent the idea that TSN dictates the schedule. For example, Canada getting the easier opening matchups, let's look at the last several WJC not held in Canada and see who Canada faced.

2024 - Canada opens up against Finland, not Latvia or Germany or host Sweden. Canada gets the toughest opening matchup other than the host country, which took on a far weaker team. Canada is uninvolved in the semi-finals.

2020 - Canada opens up against USA, as opposed to say Germany, also in the group. Host Czechs took Russia. Host Czechs were uninvolved in the semi-finals but Canada plays the late semi-final.

2018 - Canada opens against Finland while host USA took Denmark. USA takes the primetime game. Canada and host USA are both involved in the semi-finals, USA takes the early semi matchup.

2016 - Canada opens up against USA as opposed to Denmark or Switzerland. Host Finland in the other group. Canada doesn't make the semi-finals.

2014 - Canada opens up against Germany while defending champ USA gets Czechs. Canada has the later semi-final match while host Sweden takes the earlier semi-final matchup.

2013 - Canada opens up against Germany and host Russia takes on Slovakia. Canada has the early semi-final match and host Russia takes the later one.

2011 - Canada starts off against Russia as opposed to Norway, host USA is in other group. USA plays in prime time to start off the tournament. Canada and host USA play each other in the late semi-final game.

How far back do I need to go before TSN starts clearly dictating matchups? Outside of 2013 Canada doesn't seem to have noteworthy luck with easy first matchups and ideal scheduling in the semi-finals at least, and when the tournament is in USA it's USA that gets the prime time opening night slots. I know you've got your special tinfoil hat and spreadsheet but it looks an awful lot like when Canada plays the WJC in other countries, the other country sets the schedule. So again, your whining about nonsense makes you look bad. But at least even you don't claim to be legitimate on these matters.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Really? Thread about the tournament and the discussion of the young prospects playing in it (many receiving worldwide attention for the first time) descends into a partisan rant about attendance and scheduling. Almost never happens.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Again, you just look ridiculous. I do appreciate the more detailed tinfoil hat post. The tournament organizer sets the schedule. You can complain that Canada hosts it too often, and I'd even agree, but you cannot invent the idea that TSN dictates the schedule. For example, Canada getting the easier opening matchups, let's look at the last several WJC not held in Canada and see who Canada faced.

2024 - Canada opens up against Finland, not Latvia or Germany or host Sweden. Canada gets the toughest opening matchup other than the host country, which took on a far weaker team. Canada is uninvolved in the semi-finals.

2020 - Canada opens up against USA, as opposed to say Germany, also in the group. Host Czechs took Russia. Host Czechs were uninvolved in the semi-finals but Canada plays the late semi-final.

2018 - Canada opens against Finland while host USA took Denmark. USA takes the primetime game. Canada and host USA are both involved in the semi-finals, USA takes the early semi matchup.

2016 - Canada opens up against USA as opposed to Denmark or Switzerland. Host Finland in the other group. Canada doesn't make the semi-finals.

2014 - Canada opens up against Germany while defending champ USA gets Czechs. Canada has the later semi-final match while host Sweden takes the earlier semi-final matchup.

2013 - Canada opens up against Germany and host Russia takes on Slovakia. Canada has the early semi-final match and host Russia takes the later one.

2011 - Canada starts off against Russia as opposed to Norway, host USA is in other group. USA plays in prime time to start off the tournament. Canada and host USA play each other in the late semi-final game.

How far back do I need to go before TSN starts clearly dictating matchups? Outside of 2013 Canada doesn't seem to have noteworthy luck with easy first matchups and ideal scheduling in the semi-finals at least, and when the tournament is in USA it's USA that gets the prime time opening night slots. I know you've got your special tinfoil hat and spreadsheet but it looks an awful lot like when Canada plays the WJC in other countries, the other country sets the schedule. So again, your whining about nonsense makes you look bad. But at least even you don't claim to be legitimate on these matters.

You seem a little obsessed with my reputation and how I’m perceived. For the record, I don’t find any of your insults hurtful or relevant. But if you work for Hockey Canada or TSN, then I’d understand the angst lol.

TSN sets the start times for Canada and always ensures they’re in prime time or get a favorable start time when in Europe. And the WJC opener and 12/31 are always prime events. 2020 was the group of death, if you recall.

Now do the Hlinka, which this thread is about.

And did you just discover the term “tinfoil hat”? You use it quite a bit.

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
You seem a little obsessed with my reputation and how I’m perceived. For the record, I don’t find any of your insults hurtful or relevant. But if you work for Hockey Canada or TSN, then I’d understand the angst lol.

TSN sets the start times for Canada and always ensures they’re in prime time or get a favorable start time when in Europe. And the WJC opener and 12/31 are always prime events. 2020 was the group of death, if you recall.

Now do the Hlinka, which this thread is about.

And did you just discover the term “tinfoil hat”? You use it quite a bit.
I have nothing to do with Hockey Canada or TSN (tinfoil hat back in action), but I felt inclined to laugh about the stupid point you tried and failed to make since it's not the first time. I see you've already started walking it back by the way. How about those easy matchups to start the tournament and lovely prime time spots when it's in the United States, right? I think I will alert Hockey Canada and TSN that in 2024 Canada played its quarterfinal game at 9:30 Eastern while host Sweden took the prime airtime, total failure on their part because it just can't be that the host of the tournament sets the schedule.

The event organizers create the schedule, nothing you've said has demonstrated otherwise and some of the things you said have been proven wrong. I'm sure TSN gives input as likely the primary broadcaster of the tournament but there is nothing to indicate that TSN, Hockey Canada, the devil, aliens, or whatever else the tinfoil hat keeps out supersedes the host's schedule creation. And yes, I will assume you are sitting in a tinfoil hat scribbling crayon on the walls as long as you keep spouting nonsense.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
I have nothing to do with Hockey Canada or TSN (tinfoil hat back in action), but I felt inclined to laugh about the stupid point you tried and failed to make since it's not the first time. I see you've already started walking it back by the way. How about those easy matchups to start the tournament and lovely prime time spots when it's in the United States, right? I think I will alert Hockey Canada and TSN that in 2024 Canada played its quarterfinal game at 9:30 Eastern while host Sweden took the prime airtime, total failure on their part because it just can't be that the host of the tournament sets the schedule.

The event organizers create the schedule, nothing you've said has demonstrated otherwise and some of the things you said have been proven wrong. I'm sure TSN gives input as likely the primary broadcaster of the tournament but there is nothing to indicate that TSN, Hockey Canada, the devil, aliens, or whatever else the tinfoil hat keeps out supersedes the host's schedule creation. And yes, I will assume you are sitting in a tinfoil hat scribbling crayon on the walls as long as you keep spouting nonsense.

Hockey Canada organized the Hlinka and TSN set the game times. You said so yourself:

"The event organizers create the schedule...I'm sure TSN gives input".

TSN's input is determining the start time to maximize viewership for the ads from their corporate sponsors. The advertising for the GMG differed from the Germany-USA game (for example). You have it twisted. Hockey Canada makes the recommendation, but TSN is the final judge and jury. Just because Hockedy Canada posts the schedule on the website doesn't mean they made it. The fact that you consider pointing this out as a conspiracy theory makes me think you know very little of sports broadcasting and sports journalism as a whole.

Besides, my original comment that apparently got you spun out of control was: "Five games in six days and Hockey Canada/TSN f***ed them over by giving them an early afternoon start after a night game on 5 games in 6 days."

It's a passing comment. No different than:

"Yeah, I got f***ed over by my boss. I have to work a double this weekend"

"I have three finals in one day. Yeah they really screwed me over"

"Sorry man, can't make it tonight. I got screwed by the Parents/Teachers conference".

Why you got so angry and insulting seems more like a you problem than anything else.

Last edited:

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I'm not sure what I am more amazed at, the insane accusations based on a distinct hate one poster has for a certain country in hockey or the fact that zine hasn't already jumped in to take on this poster regarding his spurious and stereotypical claims regarding Canada in hockey tournaments.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
The broadcasters will produce an extensive schedule of games annually, including both men’s and women’s competitions.

Hockey Canada’s chief operating officer, Scott Smith, said: “For 30 years, Hockey Canada, TSN, and RDS have benefitted from a broadcast relationship that has built from grassroots programs and initiatives through to our national and international championships.

“The traditions and love of hockey have enabled us to share our vision of bringing fans closer to Canada’s game not just through viewership, but also through participation.”

The announcement comes after TSN and RDS’s exclusive live broadcast of Team Canada’s gold-medal victory over Team Russia in the 2020 World Junior Championship.

TSN president Stewart Johnston added: “Hockey Canada has been an incredibly valued partner of TSN and RDS for decades, and we couldn’t be happier to reach this agreement and to continue to deliver this slate of world-class hockey events.”

Long-standing national ice-hockey broadcast partnership dates back to 1991.

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
Breaking News: Canada's most popular sports network secures rights to broadcast Canada's most popular sport. Shocking, I say. You do know that "producing a schedule of games" means that they will show the events on their network; not that they are physically developing the schedule....

Reactions: Dominance

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
I'm not sure what I am more amazed at, the insane accusations based on a distinct hate one poster has for a certain country in hockey or the fact that zine hasn't already jumped in to take on this poster regarding his spurious and stereotypical claims regarding Canada in hockey tournaments.

This is silly talk. I appeared on TSN and Sportsnet radio stations throughout the country for six years until I put an end to it. Half my subscribers are Canadian and more Canadians buy my annual draft report than anyone else.

Hockey Canada is open for criticism beyond the criminal stuff, specifically the monopoly and bidding process for where the WJC is hosted every year and hijacking the Hlinka for monetary purposes. Doesn't mean I hate Canada. I mean, get a grip lol.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
This is silly talk. I appeared on TSN and Sportsnet radio stations throughout the country for six years until I put an end to it. Half my subscribers are Canadian and more Canadians buy my annual draft report than anyone else.

Hockey Canada is open for criticism beyond the criminal stuff, specifically the monopoly and bidding process for where the WJC is hosted every year and hijacking the Hlinka for monetary purposes. Doesn't mean I hate Canada. I mean, get a grip lol.
Please..............it's not like this is the first example of you losing your head on here Concerning Canada.

Your team didn't win and Canada won and that's your issue not the scheduling and it's plain for all to see, it's not the first time and won't be the last, bone up and take the loss and move on like any grown up would do.

There is one person here that needs to get a grip...................and it's you

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Please..............it's not like this is the first example of you losing your head on here Concerning Canada.

Your team didn't win and Canada won and that's your issue not the scheduling and it's plain for all to see, it's not the first time and won't be the last, bone up and take the loss and move on like any grown up would do.

There is one person here that needs to get a grip...................and it's you

More silly talk. Canada wins the Hlinka every year and deservedly so. Nobody expects the Americans to win this tournament. Hockey Canada and Canada the country are two separate entities. I don’t see how a passing complaint about a schedule was interpreted as hatred for the entire country.

Breaking News: Canada's most popular sports network secures rights to broadcast Canada's most popular sport. Shocking, I say. You do know that "producing a schedule of games" means that they will show the events on their network; not that they are physically developing the schedule....

Producing a schedule of games means they are producing a schedule of games. A partnership with Hockey Canada in which they produce a schedule. It’s right there in black and white. No need to speculate.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
More silly talk. Canada wins the Hlinka every year and deservedly so. Nobody expects the Americans to win this tournament. Hockey Canada and Canada the country are two separate entities. I don’t see how a passing complaint about a schedule was interpreted as hatred for the entire country.
You better hope these Canadian subscribers you talk about don't see your performance on here that's for sure. I know if I was one of them and seen all your drivel here concerning scheduling the first question I would ask myself is..........." what else is this guy clueless about?"

Move along, it's an embarrassment.

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007

Producing a schedule of games means they are producing a schedule of games. A partnership with Hockey Canada in which they produce a schedule. It’s right there in black and white. No need to speculate.
My friend, in the TV businesses “producing” means to oversee the broadcast. It is saying they are overseeing the broadcast of a series of Canadian men and women’s games annually.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
You better hope these Canadian subscribers you talk about don't see your performance on here that's for sure. I know if I was one of them and seen all your drivel here concerning scheduling the first question I would ask myself is..........." what else is this guy clueless about?"

Move along, it's an embarrassment.

I still don’t get how pointing out a scheduling constraint at the Hlinka turned this into an accusation of Canadian hatred. This is a bit of an overreaction, no?

So no, I don’t hate Canada. And no, I don’t think basic broadcasting principles are part of a conspiracy. Do TSN and Hockey Canada profit more when Canada wins? Of course. At the end of the day, Canada wins because they have the best team and that is always reflected in my coverage.

My friend, in the TV businesses “producing” means to oversee the broadcast. It is saying they are overseeing the broadcast of a series of Canadian men and women’s games annually.

No, I’m pretty sure producing means producing.

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
I still don’t get how pointing out a scheduling constraint at the Hlinka turned this into an accusation of Canadian hatred. This is a bit of an overreaction, no?

So no, I don’t hate Canada. And no, I don’t think basic broadcasting principles are part of a conspiracy. Do TSN and Hockey Canada profit more when Canada wins? Of course. At the end of the day, Canada wins because they have the best team and that is always reflected in my coverage.

No, I’m pretty sure producing means producing.
You are completely out to lunch on this one. The article talks about the broadcast rights. TSN and RDS are the producers responsible for broadcasting the schedule of games; they are not drafting the schedule of international sporting events.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
You are completely out to lunch on this one. The article talks about the broadcast rights. TSN and RDS are the producers responsible for broadcasting the schedule of games; they are not drafting the schedule of international sporting events.

Only talking about the WJC and Hlinka, the latter since 2018. TSN and Hockey Canada are partners since 1991. TSN makes the schedule and Hockey Canada releases it every time Canada hosts a U18 or U20 tournament (which is like 60-70 percent of the time)

TSN has too many irons in the fire on a daily basis to let Hockey Canada dictate its programming schedule. TSN programmers know who they’ll be up against for ratings at a given time slot. Hockey Canada doesn’t have the staff to monitor ratings and programming like a billion-dollar media company. TSN runs Hockey Canada when it comes to broadcasting just like ESPN runs the NBA schedule for Xmas, etc.

I mean, this is common knowledge in the industry.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Only talking about the WJC and Hlinka, the latter since 2018. TSN and Hockey Canada are partners since 1991. TSN makes the schedule and Hockey Canada releases it every time Canada hosts a U18 or U20 tournament (which is like 60-70 percent of the time)

TSN has too many irons in the fire on a daily basis to let Hockey Canada dictate its programming schedule. TSN programmers know who they’ll be up against for ratings at a given time slot. Hockey Canada doesn’t have the staff to monitor ratings and programming like a billion-dollar media company. TSN runs Hockey Canada when it comes to broadcasting just like ESPN runs the NBA schedule for Xmas, etc.

Since you follow prospects.. where do you see benak and Mrtka going? Who, on your opinion, is the third Czech?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
You've moved further into parody at this point but as you've already been told, that doesn't mean that TSN produces the schedule for all the tournaments every year. Your claims about the schedule have already been proven wrong, probably time to take off the old tinfoil and re-assess things.

Now, I will even include the official IIHF regulations for hosting IIHF events: IIHF Regulations to govern all IIHF events

To highlight the pertinent and obvious, from page 9 under the heading "Game Schedule Regulation":

"The organising member national association will prepare the game schedule for the respective IIHF Championship in accordance with the IIHF Sport Regulations. This game proposal is to be approved by the participating national associations. If not agreed, then the IIHF Council will make the final decision."

So you are proposing that the IIHF is violating its own rules and no one, except for brave not a legitimate source but in the industry you, is covering it? Of course what you've proposed isn't even verifiable according to even a slight glance at the tournaments in general. There is even a section that discusses proposals to partially modify the schedule, but again your claims haev been demonstrably proven wrong. Obviously the Hlinka is not an IIHF event, but your complaint was nonsense and your further doubling down on your WJC claims is demonstrably wrong.

It's such a weird straw to grasp at.

Reactions: Golden_Jet

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006

This has been a fun argument, but the inference that TSN and Hockey Canada sit around scheming for ways to (your words) "f*** over" the poor sad US players is perhaps a bridge too far.

Excuses are for losers. Yeah, Canada gets the prime time slot on tournaments they host, as do all hosts. Yeah, that's to benefit the host broadcaster. No, it is not of a prime benefit to the host team, because it guarantees that the host team will not have the longest break between semifinal and final. Czechia, losers of the final, got the best of that deal.

But at the end of the day, exccuses are for losers. Elite athletes deal with the stuff they can control, and don't worry about the rest. I'm not aware of any of the US players crying to their mommies about mean old Mr TSN making them play with too short a break, so I'm not sure why anyone else needs to come here and complain on their behalf.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Since you follow prospects.. where do you see benak and Mrtka going? Who, on your opinion, is the third Czech?

TLDR for Benak: Late 1st/Early 2nd

Benak is among the best smaller prospects I've seen -- Caufield, Savoie, Eklund, Rossi, etc. He looked gassed in the GMG but still came close to scoring. I had him in my top 15 when making my pre-2025 draft list last May, and then I saw how the NHL drafted in 2024 and questioned myself because I had Zetterberg as an R1 pick and he went completely undrafted. I don't like the fact that Benak went to Youngstown because I really wanted to see a full Extraliga season, but it will probably help him get drafted higher than if he played in the Extraliga, where he literally was pushed around as a draft-1. I can only speculate that part of what drove the move to avoid the "struggled against men" narrative, but I do think he will succeed in the USHL. Guschin parlayed his USHL success into a high R3 selection and he's close to making the NHL full-time, so my issue with Benak crossing over is more selfish than thinking it's bad for Benak's development.

TLDR for Mrtka: Mid/Late 1st

Mrtka is a different story. The hunched skating looks awkward but his IQ, awareness, touch, physicality, size, shot creation, mobility, etc. etc. make him an easy A-grade on Central Scouting's early watch list, which usually piggybacks off of Hlinka performances. He was CZE's most physical dman at the U18 WC last spring as well, but I haven't heard if he's committed to Seattle or staying with Trinec.

The 3rd Czech is tough. Svec and Cerny would be up there if they were bigger. I really like Stepan Hoch and Tomas Poletin, but Zehejsky, Nestrasil, and Cihar are easy to root for as well. My sleepers are Svaranca and Kurcharciik, although not necessarily as the third Czech off the board. I'd say Polentin because he's a skilled center with size

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
You've moved further into parody at this point but as you've already been told, that doesn't mean that TSN produces the schedule for all the tournaments every year. Your claims about the schedule have already been proven wrong, probably time to take off the old tinfoil and re-assess things.

Now, I will even include the official IIHF regulations for hosting IIHF events: IIHF Regulations to govern all IIHF events

To highlight the pertinent and obvious, from page 9 under the heading "Game Schedule Regulation":

"The organising member national association will prepare the game schedule for the respective IIHF Championship in accordance with the IIHF Sport Regulations. This game proposal is to be approved by the participating national associations. If not agreed, then the IIHF Council will make the final decision."

So you are proposing that the IIHF is violating its own rules and no one, except for brave not a legitimate source but in the industry you, is covering it? Of course what you've proposed isn't even verifiable according to even a slight glance at the tournaments in general. There is even a section that discusses proposals to partially modify the schedule, but again your claims haev been demonstrably proven wrong. Obviously the Hlinka is not an IIHF event, but your complaint was nonsense and your further doubling down on your WJC claims is demonstrably wrong.

It's such a weird straw to grasp at.

OK, so again, you prove my original point -- TSN made the schedule for the Hlinka in conjunction with Hockey Canada.

TSN and Hockey Canada are a partnership, but TSN is the money maker. The IIHF doesn't say it's a rules violation if the tournament's main broadcaster creates the schedule for Hockey Canada to submit.

Before the scandal emerged, Hockey Canada had provided a pillar of the TSN programming calendar, especially during the holiday season. The Canadian broadcaster turned a relatively modest tournament into a Christmas ratings powerhouse, with millions tuning in to watch the world juniors in December.

In January 2020, TSN and RDS, TSN’s French-language counterpart, announced a rights deal that secured Hockey Canada as a key partner through the 2033-34 season. According to an accompanying media release, three of the network’s five all-time most-watched programs revolved around the world juniors.

The tournament accounted for almost half (nine) of the network’s top 20 all-time largest audiences.

Volden said the results from the network’s own reporting into the scandal “absolutely would have an effect on the very thing that we built.”

Ken Volden is TSN's Executive VP. "the very thing we built" is the World Junior tournament.

This has been a fun argument, but the inference that TSN and Hockey Canada sit around scheming for ways to (your words) "f*** over" the poor sad US players is perhaps a bridge too far.

Excuses are for losers. Yeah, Canada gets the prime time slot on tournaments they host, as do all hosts. Yeah, that's to benefit the host broadcaster. No, it is not of a prime benefit to the host team, because it guarantees that the host team will not have the longest break between semifinal and final. Czechia, losers of the final, got the best of that deal.

But at the end of the day, exccuses are for losers. Elite athletes deal with the stuff they can control, and don't worry about the rest. I'm not aware of any of the US players crying to their mommies about mean old Mr TSN making them play with too short a break, so I'm not sure why anyone else needs to come here and complain on their behalf.

Nobody said it was a scheme. It was just an unfortunate reality.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
"f*** over" implies intent. Bottom line: it's a loser's excuse. Suck it up, buttercup, your boys lost. If you want to blame someone, blame USA Hockey for leaving the best players at home.

Relax. Don't get why you're getting so angry and defensive over this.

The implication was definitely not intent. And nobody is mad that USA lost lol. It was expected.

Whoever made the schedule at the start of the tournament put a 1pm local start time after a late game the night prior and it was 5 in 6 days. I just pointed out that those who made the schedule (TSN/Hockey Canada) didn't do that loser any favors. The fact that it was the U.S. is a mere coincidence. If the Czechs did it in Breclav, I'd say the same thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad