U18: Hlinka Gretzky Cup 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Wasn't he injured though this past season and thats why he couldn't shoot? I thought he was better with shooting the prior season and he got a lot better at shooting, but this past season struggled because he had an injury that made it difficult to shoot.
Certainly looked like it to me. Thought he passed up a lot of chances to shoot.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
I can't be too disappointed. In such a match, the goalkeeper must make a great save (the first goal was his big mistake, otherwise he caught well again) and the team must convert chances. Neither happened. In addition, from the second period on, it was clear that the tempo of the game had dropped from both sides, and fatigue was already showing. In such a case, it is difficult to turn the game around, especially when the opponent plays so well defensively. Canada deservedly won. But overall we played a great tournament.
The second thing is that many players will now go overseas and many of them will not progress at all in terms of performance (last year's experience. The opposite is true). The interview with coach Čermák does not inspire much optimism in this regard.

Reactions: Czechboy

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I can't be too disappointed. In such a match, the goalkeeper must make a great save (the first goal was his big mistake, otherwise he caught well again) and the team must convert chances. Neither happened. In addition, from the second period on, it was clear that the tempo of the game had dropped from both sides, and fatigue was already showing. In such a case, it is difficult to turn the game around, especially when the opponent plays so well defensively. Canada deservedly won. But overall we played a great tournament.
The second thing is that many players will now go overseas and many of them will not progress at all in terms of performance (last year's experience. The opposite is true). The interview with coach Čermák does not inspire much optimism in this regard.
Playing 5 games in 6 days is going to wear down players. Canada had more luck. If a couple of the posts and crossbars Czechia hit went in they would likely have won.

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
Playing 5 games in 6 days is going to wear down players. Canada had more luck. If a couple of the posts and crossbars Czechia hit went in they would likely have won.
Yes, we were not lucky in this either. But Canada was still better. It would be fairer if the format of the tournament was different and the matches were not so crowded in so few days. But it was the same for both teams. The real problem for these players is now. Not many of them will make the transition. Players from other teams won't have to deal with this at all. And czech hockey will bleed again.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia

🤣 I noticed this as well. The French kids didn't sing in English like they usually would drowning out the english and RDS ran with it lol.

It just doesn't make sense that a program like Hockey Canada can't teach these kids 33 French words from U17 so come U20, Worlds, Olympics the anthem is sung properly in unity.

I was going to mention the singing in french when it happened but let it pass...............I loved it.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Yes, we were not lucky in this either. But Canada was still better. It would be fairer if the format of the tournament was different and the matches were not so crowded in so few days. But it was the same for both teams. The real problem for these players is now. Not many of them will make the transition. Players from other teams won't have to deal with this at all. And czech hockey will bleed again.
Do you have a link for Cermak interview?

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Your tinfoil hat Hockey Canada/TSN posts make you look ridiculous. Looking forward to the next edition come WJC time. I suppose the evil coalition (Hockey Canada, TSN, the IIHF) should have placed the bronze game after the gold medal game so that USA could be better rested for a tournament it can't be bothered to even try to win.

What are you talking about? I LOVE Hockey Canada. They have such a great reputation and aren't greedy. Just pointed out a scheduling observation that didn't benefit the Americans.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Yeah, I don’t see the point of having it in Canada at all. The Cup was fine - and the games always close to sold out - when it was just the Hlinka Cup in Breclav, Czech Republic. No idea at all why it was renamed Hlinka-Gretzky and transplanted to more or less empty stadiums in Canada every other year. They should just drop the “Gretzky” and stage it back in the Czech Republic every year again.
It would likely be for the NHL guys to have easier travel to the games. I didn't like how the tournament was marketed and the attendance was not good.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
I think your standards are very low then.

Calling this a C team is a little much too. I don't know the players as well as you do, but realistically this is the best of the non-NTDP players minus a few kids here or there that were snubbed or injured or not playing for whatever reason. And considering a number of these players are better than the NTDP players, I think calling this any worse than a B (or if you want to get really strict a B-) team is stretching it.

And then I'd point you to the fact that they lost 3 of their 5 games. A US team losing 3 of 5 in any tournament is just too much losing. I don't know why anyone would be okay with that. Maybe that's their level, but they won the shot battle in 4 of the 5 games (only lost it to Canada by 6, tied for least of any team). They also lost the goalie battle in all three of their losses. I don't think the goaltending was that bad against Czechia, but gave up the decisive goal late in the game. Against Canada and Sweden, it was flat out bad. I'd even suggest it was flat out bad against Germany, although it didn't really matter there. Cameron gave up a fade away off balance wrister in a close game to Canada and then a goal from below the goal line against Sweden.

Seems a little much to say the goaltending and defense was both good when the goalies were 9th, 10th, and 17th (of 17) at this tournament in SV%. Either the goaltending was hung out to dry by bad defense or they didn't stop shots they should've. My conclusion is that the goaltending was weak and a lot worse than the nations they lost to (I think probably also worse than Finland). I think the defense was okay. Not great, but I didn't think it lost us these games. Offense lacked difference makers. Yes, there's enough speed, skill, hockey sense, along with a hard working team and a good defense. That's going to keep you in games at a weak tournament like this (no Russia, as bad of a Finland as we've seen in a long time), but they didn't have the difference makers in net or up front to win games that their system got them in. And even on the back-end, none of these guys are anywhere near a player like Schaefer. A few of the defensemen might make the NHL, but probably like bottom pairing guys at that level.

When it becomes to overall draft picks, last 5 teams have have 11 in 2019, 9 in 2020, 12 in 2022, 7 in 2023, and 7 in 2024. This team is looking like the lower end for that I think. Rombach, Fiddler, Grimes, Simpson, Kevan, and then I think a few of Lansing, Sykora, Hayes, Moe, Bleyl, and Cameron end up getting picked at some point (whether their first year or another). So probably around 7. Maybe not a vintage US Hlinka team, but this team should've been better than 3 losses in 5 games.
Only eight or nine of the 2024 Hlinka squad were at the 2023 U17 camp, which is part of the reasoning behind calling it a C-team. The other part is all the other nations brought their best, so there was an undeniable skill disparity. I think they made up for it with hard work, 200-foot play from the forwards and nearly all their defensemen had a two-way game. The defense was cleaner as a group than the forwards.

This was the first time USA had back-to-back finishes of fourth place or better since 2013 and 2014. Obviously, Russia being banned by the corrupt IIHF probably has something to do with it, but I am surprised you got that upset over their play. It was a sloppy tournament in general (the Canada-Czech game was one of the uglier GMG's I've seen at any level), so it's not like you could see them overmatched every game. Could the results have been better for the Americans? Sure, a bounce here and they might beat the Czechs in OT or a shootout, then play the lesser Swedes instead of steamroller Canada in the SF. So 3-2 instead of 2-3, and we all know either way really isn't that big of a deal.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Yeah, I don’t see the point of having it in Canada at all. The Cup was fine - and the games always close to sold out - when it was just the Hlinka Cup in Breclav, Czech Republic. No idea at all why it was renamed Hlinka-Gretzky and transplanted to more or less empty stadiums in Canada every other year. They should just drop the “Gretzky” and stage it back in the Czech Republic every year again.

Yeah attendance was brutal. I got the Slovak feed with no commercials and it showed the entire half of the near-side lower bowl completely empty the entire tournament. Literally only security guards. Got the sense that Rogers Place instructed people to only sit on the far side so it didn't look dismal on TV. I read a release before the event where some Alberta politician said the city of Edmonton invested $11 million into hosting the Hlinka and was expecting it to bring back $13 million in tourism revenue. There is no way in hell they made that kind of money, even after the 250 players, staff, parents from the teams paid for hotels and rentals. To think people would travel in droves to Edmonton to see a U18 tournament is nuts. I mean, is Edmonton an ideal summer destination for the average hockey fan lol? "Hey honey, pack a suitcase! We're going to Edmonton!" Put in Europe so people can get more out of a trip than sitting in a rink watching teenagers.

FWIW, I have never once referred to the tournament by the name change. It has and always will be the Ivan Hlinka Memorial Cup.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
What are you talking about? I LOVE Hockey Canada. They have such a great reputation and aren't greedy. Just pointed out a scheduling observation that didn't benefit the Americans.
Again looking ridiculous - as a guy who is trying to present himself as a legitimate source for scouting your little complex makes you look ridiculous. USA's schedule was essentially the same as everyone else's, and somehow you had issue that the team that lost the second semi-final game had to play in a bronze game before the gold. No one would ever make that complaint unless they had a bizarre little complex.

Looking forward to your conspiracy theories at WJC time and having to consequently write off whatever scouting positions you take.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Again looking ridiculous - as a guy who is trying to present himself as a legitimate source for scouting your little complex makes you look ridiculous. USA's schedule was essentially the same as everyone else's, and somehow you had issue that the team that lost the second semi-final game had to play in a bronze game before the gold. No one would ever make that complaint unless they had a bizarre little complex.

Looking forward to your conspiracy theories at WJC time and having to consequently write off whatever scouting positions you take.

What is it with you guys and this obsession with thinking I want to be a scout or "legitimate". I don't try to present myself as a legitimate source nor would I ever want that lifestyle. I'm a prospect fan with a blog who enjoys watching hockey in my retirement. My twitter account is private and my posts are behind a paywall. So stop with the "legitimate source" BS

As for the schedule, it was a valid observation. Canada played every game at 7:30 pm local (so 9:30 pm on the East Coast). But they wanted the GMG to be in prime time on the East Coast (higher ratings), so they moved the GMG start time to 6 pm local. TSN also created a four-hour gap in between games at Rogers (which is nuts -- MSHSL Class 1A and 2A QF at an NHL rink are spaced out by two hours), meaning the SF night-game loser would have an early afternoon puck drop after a night game, which ALL hockey players hate.

I never said it was the reason why they lost. I said it was a constraint that should be considered before criticizing the entire team's effort.

Reactions: Jersey Fan 12

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
What is it with you guys and this obsession with thinking I want to be a scout or "legitimate". I don't try to present myself as a legitimate source nor would I ever want that lifestyle. I'm a prospect fan with a blog who enjoys watching hockey in my retirement. My twitter account is private and my posts are behind a paywall. So stop with the "legitimate source" BS

As for the schedule, it was a valid observation. Canada played every game at 7:30 pm local (so 9:30 pm on the East Coast). But they wanted the GMG to be in prime time on the East Coast (higher ratings), so they moved the GMG start time to 6 pm local. TSN also created a four-hour gap in between games at Rogers (which is nuts -- MSHSL Class 1A and 2A QF at an NHL rink are spaced out by two hours), meaning the SF night-game loser would have an early afternoon puck drop after a night game, which ALL hockey players hate.

I never said it was the reason why they lost. I said it was a constraint that should be considered before criticizing the entire team's effort.
Don't worry, I agree with you and will refrain from citing you as legitimate.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I know what really hurt the Americans at this tournament, there was not one not two but three better teams then them here at this tournament this year and they got beat by all three of them. They ended up placing exactly where they should have placed.

That's what really hurt them.

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Glad you agree with me that the scheduling hurt the Americans instead of helping them. Wasn’t that easy? No conspiracy theory. Just an observation.
I don't agree when everyone played the same schedule but, shockingly, the team that lost the second semi-final then had to play in the first medal game. Still looking forward to the complaints once again that the host country makes the schedule at the WJC as if this were a revelation/conspiracy. I'll just remind myself that you're not here to appear legitimate, buy your own words, but to shitpost I guess.

All this about the Hlinka no less, a tournament that no one should really care much about the results. Especially about a third place game.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
I don't agree when everyone played the same schedule but, shockingly, the team that lost the second semi-final then had to play in the first medal game. Still looking forward to the complaints once again that the host country makes the schedule at the WJC as if this were a revelation/conspiracy. I'll just remind myself that you're not here to appear legitimate, buy your own words, but to shitpost I guess.

All this about the Hlinka no less, a tournament that no one should really care much about the results. Especially about a third place game.

It wasn’t the same schedule. It’s industry knowledge that Canada always gets the plum time slots in short tournaments — hosting or not — because TSN needs to please their corporate advertisers. This isn’t a conspiracy theory. It’s sports broadcasting 101 and has been the case for decades.

I have input every U18 and U20 tournament schedule into a spreadsheet since 2015. I used to post it on twitter and my blog in a simplified manner for fans because nobody else did. It was around 2017 when I noticed Canada got the better time slots, easier opening matchups, etc. and it has not changed since. This was a hypothesis from empirical data — take the last 50 U18-U20 tournaments involving Canada and you will deduce that TSN drives the schedule, not the host federation. That is why Tardiff in 2021 said the IIHF needed the WJC to play through COVID “to survive” - TV ads were created and ad space were purchased for millions, for millions of Canadians (literally) to ingest. Cancelling the games because of an outbreak suddenly became negotiable. Literally life and death became negotiable for WJC revenue until common f***ing sense prevailed.

Again, this is an observation that is validated every tournament Canada plays in. When I brought it up on Twitter back in the day, only a handful of Canadians got defensive (like you did) while everyone else agreed that it was unfair but par for the course for sports broadcasting. I’ve accepted it as both valid and annoying, which is why I always point it out.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
I know what really hurt the Americans at this tournament, there was not one not two but three better teams then them here at this tournament this year and they got beat by all three of them. They ended up placing exactly where they should have placed.

That's what really hurt them.

Nobody said they deserved better. They were a fourth-place team with low expectations who played well and got a shitty start time for the BMG. All are true, but you know, conspiracy theories.

• Haha
Reactions: jj cale

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Fwiw... At the world's in prague.. Czechs have themselves an absolute brilliant schedule.

As is always the case with the host of the Men's WC, which is a different animal for obvious reasons from the U20 and U18 events Canada keeps hosting. It's a money maker with or without Canada, is never held in Canada, draws well without Canada, and likely gets solid local TV ratings without Canada. The level of corporate sponsorship dwarfs what TSN gets for Hockey Canada events -- Tesco, Pringles, Bauhaus, PLYRS, Viamont, Skoda, AJ, Liqui Moly, Nike, Patron, Raiffeissen Bank, Strauss, Tipsport, Tissot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad