Post-Game Talk: Hit em with the 4 like AM34. Leafs lose 4th straight game 7 to Boston: 2-1

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
The Bruins got a lucky bounce off the end boards guys................Leafs deserved a better fate last night.
Coming from this Habs fan.
Time to move on from the Fab Four though.............Marner will be the one leaving I am quite sure. Then of course, JT the following season.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
But the only reason Woll had to be even better than average was because we had to win 3 in a row. Samsonov was below average with his constant weak goals.

We start this series from Game 1 with Woll in net and I don't think this series goes 7. Boston's PP was an automatic goal with Samsonov in net, but they didn't score once on Woll.
Maybe, Woll has the best goals saved above expected in the playoffs. Swayman was second.

Not exactly average goaltending

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
The backend allowed us to play like we did. Dumping pucks, lots of icings, blocked shots and winning board battles. It also kept us in our end a fair bit as a result and limited our transition game.

I'm not sure we were built to succeed, but it may have won us a round
Agreed.

Need another guy that can move the puck, and play nasty. Like McCabe. Probably 2 more. Was a little disappointed with Lily. He really didn't do a lot.

I was happy with Holmberg, Jarnkrok and Robertson, but like everyone, they couldn't score.

4th line worked hard.

Need your top guys to score. They didn't

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
The backend allowed us to play like we did. Dumping pucks, lots of icings, blocked shots and winning board battles. It also kept us in our end a fair bit as a result and limited our transition game.

I'm not sure we were built to succeed, but it may have won us a round
In game 1 they didn’t win many puck battles. They wasted two games in the series.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Maybe, Woll has the best goals saved above expected in the playoffs. Swayman was second.

Not exactly average goaltending

I don't know how Woll had better GSAA than Swayman. Swayman stopped 4 breakaways in the last 2 games alone.

Tavares, Knies, Domi, Dewar and I'm probably missing 1 or 2.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
Woll changed the entire course of the series. Sammy may have made some good saves, but he isn’t quite good enough. Remember what we all felt when we heard Woll was out for G7. How do you think the players felt? How do you think the bruins felt?

We win this game with Woll, and it solidifies that our biggest need is a legit goalie.
They asked Coyle before the game and he said something to the effect of “shoot more”

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Tavares has to be off the team after this contract. We're never going to win in the playoffs led by that Bobble head.
JT’s pretty much done, but he never quits on the team, the same can’t be said for 34, 16, 88, 44. Everyone knew the last years of his contract would suck, wait and see how useless Styles is in season’s 7 and 8 of his new deal………

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Woll usually plays well when he’s healthy, but he can’t stay healthy, trade his ass……..
In September I felt management’s goal for the season was to evaluate Woll and see which of the guys on ‘tryout contracts’ would emerge. If Woll passed they could check off that box as they were waiting for cap space to rebuild. I think it would be prudent to find a top goalie they can rely on.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I don't know how Woll had better GSAA than Swayman. Swayman stopped 4 breakaways in the last 2 games alone.

Tavares, Knies, Domi, Dewar and I'm probably missing 1 or 2.
They're close, Swayman was great this series. Boston's offense was mostly from flurries, not many off man rushes in the last few games

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
The Bruins got a lucky bounce off the end boards guys................Leafs deserved a better fate last night.
Coming from this Habs fan.
Time to move on from the Fab Four though.............Marner will be the one leaving I am quite sure. Then of course, JT the following season.
Marner won’t be going next year, I’d bet 3 months of posting on that. Now the year after, yeah he more than likely walks for nothing.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
This was my favourite team overall, liked the character and characters, the way they competed. Hurts even more.

I'm at a loss for words how it just can never go our way, no matter the group. It's the most uncanny thing in sport, we are the most tortured of any fan base.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
I’ll say if Marner is on this team next year, I’m not watching for sure. Even if he is gone, I think I might need to take a season off and just ignore hockey altogether.

I have zero interest in seeing the same garbage play out. This team, even before the playoffs started, has killed my enthusiasm for hockey. Both watching and playing it. They’ve just ruined something I used to love with back to back to back to back to back to back to back embarrassments. As a fan, I’m tired and I have no energy left to give these guys; I’m tapped out.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
honestly, I said that last year. I doubt Rod Brind'Amour is going to hit the market. I know Quennville seriously effed up with that situation in Chicago. but as I said last year, HE knows that and he has to live with those consequences for the rest of his life. If he's done rehab/therapy/reparations etc it doesn't wipe it clean but I think he should be allowed to work, and Q was a good coach. I honestly don't know who else is available.

here is my thing - I'm not defending Shananan here, but what is firing him going to do exactly. if Treliving has the carte blanche to do whatever he wants. what's the point? if he doesn't then sure. but then if you fire Shanahan then you have to fire Treliving too. did Treliving do such a bad job he only gets 1 year? and whose available for being a GM? (legit I don't know).
Firing Shanahan sends a message, firing Keefe sends a message, trading players sends a message, not resigning players sends a message. Who want to guess what that message would be?

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Hey you were right about it going to game 7, and there was some OT games so your not all wrong, but your opinion of Pasta being a polished turd was way off and he proved why he’s a better player than any Leaf right now. Winners win, losers lose……….
Have to give Pasta credit for that move. That bounce off the corner boards probably works once every 10 times, but he timed his entry into the zone absolutely perfectly.

Reactions: BallardEra

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
In September I felt management’s goal for the season was to evaluate Woll and see which of the guys on ‘tryout contracts’ would emerge. If Woll passed they could check off that box as they were waiting for cap space to rebuild. I think it would be prudent to find a top goalie they can rely on.
I guess he would be a good back up, but not reliable enough for a number one…….

Have to give Pasta credit for that move. That bounce off the corner boards probably works once every 10 times, but he timed his entry into the zone absolutely perfectly.
They probably practice that entry since it’s their barn they must be used to those bounces……..

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Marner won’t be going next year, I’d bet 3 months of posting on that. Now the year after, yeah he more than likely walks for nothing.
I could see that happening…..because management is horrible that way.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
To add to this, most players would have quickly shot the puck but only elite goal scorers like himself would exhibit the patience to wait and pull off that move before shooting.

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
For the ninth time ………..They still need top pair D and goaltending.
agreed they should focus on D too, but they played well when it mattered. Goaltending is, by far, the #1 issue. For everyone claiming otherwise….

1714914273692.jpeg

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
JT’s pretty much done, but he never quits on the team, the same can’t be said for 34, 16, 88, 44. Everyone knew the last years of his contract would suck, wait and see how useless Styles is in season’s 7 and 8 of his new deal………
When all the chips were on the line in game 7 what did Tavares do exactly? It was hurt Matthews and half blind Willy connecting for our only goal.

Tavares isn't exactly "old" people. He's 33. With modern medicine and the staff available to him I'm not sure exactly why he looks cooked already. He's out there looking like a 42 year old Ron Francis doing his victory lap around the NHL.

Ontop of his on ice abilities falling off a cliff at the ripe old age of 33 , he has zero intangibles or toughness to his game. I saw Bruins not even noticing body checks thrown by our captain. Didn't effect the play most of the time. I don't think I've ever even seen him fight and he's the Captain.

In any other organization they would have reconciled, stripped the C and moved the contract long ago but the Leafs have a a corporate agenda and squeaky clean cereal Merchant Tavares is a great poster boy to sell Bobble heads with.

Reactions: hockeyes and socko

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad