GDT: High Effort GDT

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Right. If Eric were a better captain, suddenly McBain wouldn't have had the worst night of his career, suddenly Peters could control rebounds, and suddenly we wouldn't take dumb penalties all the ****ing time.

I don't know what you want from him. Not every team can have a Jonathan Toews or a Ryan Callahan wearing the C, and there are like four, maybe five teams in the league that have a player better than Eric is.

Funny, because those quotes from Muller are pretty damning. Unless all of a sudden, he doesn't fall into that "best players" category. It's a simple matter of effort and hard work.

The team follows the lead of their captain. He's not putting forth the effort or the hard work, and as Muller said, that winds up with a certain result.

But let's keep giving him a pass, because apparently, he's not a Toews-leader (Shocking statement) which means he can't show any leadership.

Jerkob Slavin

Likable Jerk
Mar 8, 2012
Monroe, NC
Hopefully folks can understand that it IS possible to love Eric Staal as a player and think he has an elite level of skill AND think that he might not possess ideal leadership qualities.

That is where I'm coming from.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Hopefully folks can understand that it IS possible to love Eric Staal as a player and think he has an elite level of skill AND think that he might not possess ideal leadership qualities.

That is where I'm coming from.

Sick thing is that this team doesn't have a leader right now. LaRose and/or Gleason is probably the closest thing we have.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
ZX92IRr.jpg

1: "Not Bad"

2: "DAMIT, I SHARTED"

3: "Where am I?"

4: Still hungover from last night

5: "UAAARRRRG"

6: "Did I leave my stove on?"

7: *glugglugglug*

Found this cool picture and noticed the faces

Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
ZX92IRr.jpg

1: "Not Bad"

2: "DAMIT, I SHARTED"

3: "Where am I?"

4: Still hungover from last night

5: "UAAARRRRG"

6: "Did I leave my stove on?"

7: *glugglugglug*

Found this cool picture and noticed the faces

I think this is hilarious. The thing I'm not sure of is whether or not you think this is hilarious in the same way that I think it's hilarious, or in a completely different way.

Finlandia WOAT

No blocks, No slappers
May 23, 2010
Listened to the Aftermath. Two things:

First, Mike Maniscalco had a bit for about 20 seconds where he went on and on about how John F. shouldn't do away playoff games. Only on his nights off. Not in St. Louis. Not in Vancouver. It aggravated John, who I thought was angry about the game.

Two, apparently, the number one mantra Kirk Muller has been trying to instill in this team over the 4 day break was shift length: 38 seconds max.

Eric Staal Average Shift Length: 52 seconds.
Alex Semin Average Shift Length: 52 seconds.
Jeff Skinner Average Shift Length: 55 seconds.

This is the second game in a row that this team has refused to listen to their coach. It's not open rebellion against all that is Kirk Muller, it's the fact that we have the mental tenacity of a hungry 3 year old. We abandon our game as soon as it seems that things are not going well, and the "Here we go again..." thinking with this team is too common.

I am pissed as hell right now. They got significantly outplayed, badly outplayed, embarrassingly outplayed by a Jets team that has been a hot mess in the last two weeks. We can't develop **** through the neutral zone, our forecheck is ineffective to get the resulting dump in, Peters making the bare minimum of the saves her should and nothing more, both of our top lines are cold as ice right now, we have no support scoring and we give up when the going gets tough.

Finlandia WOAT

No blocks, No slappers
May 23, 2010
Funny, because those quotes from Muller are pretty damning. Unless all of a sudden, he doesn't fall into that "best players" category. It's a simple matter of effort and hard work.

The team follows the lead of their captain. He's not putting forth the effort or the hard work, and as Muller said, that winds up with a certain result.

But let's keep giving him a pass, because apparently, he's not a Toews-leader (Shocking statement) which means he can't show any leadership.

There are 11 other forwards on the ice. It's not Eric's fault if they suck, hog the puck until a turnover or dump it in 2 seconds too late.

Eric's lack of leadership is becoming apparent, but blaming a 6 game skid on that particular factor is wrong. There are many other factors to consider, like:

Our offense scoring 7 goals in the last 6 games.
Peters being a mediocre at best goaltender.
Special Teams.
Our breakout system is completely ineffective.
Mental Toughness.
Actual toughness.
Our on paper defense.

All of which I would be more worried about than Eric Staal not doing whatever minute detail we've decided to pin on him today, or how bad of a leader he may be.

normalpsychology

Oct 27, 2011
Mass
When's the last time this team could legitimately handle a deficit without absolutely crumbling? When Brind'amour was still on the ice wearing the C?

NorthStar4Canes

Oct 12, 2007
I wasn't sure "leadership" could be any more overrated than by Tripp and John ... then I read this board.

I'm trying to figure out how leadership can be overrated when a team begins facing adversity like sustaining multiple injuries and the ship needs to be righted or stay that way in the first place.

Did that stop being important during my last bathroom break or something?

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I think the real question is: who HASN'T been drinking tonight? That goes for the team as well.

*raises hand* Had I not finished off my growler of Hot Rod Red last night, I'd be going for it, though.

Just got back from the game a little bit ago and my major question is who n the hell was that spazz on the PA tonight and where, for the love of all that's holy, was Brian Hoyle? When this guy, Paul, I think, announced the starting lineup including "starting at #12...err...at center, #12 Eric Staal!" I knew hings were cursed tonight.

Lazyking

Never Forget
Oct 15, 2011
Connecticut
I am getting worried but honestly, not because how we played tonight and more on this awful powerplay. if this team has any hope of turning it around, the PP HAS to be better. The Tea line has cooled off a bit 5 on 5 and yet they're our only threat on offense.. so if the PP sucks, we have nothing else.

Not to mention Peters in net who let in at least two softies tonight.

This three game road trip is the season. won't matter our games in hand if the Jets get a 12 point lead with 12 to go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad