OT: HFPens Community Lounge: Or Ogrezilla and LOGiK's Nerd Thread ;)

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Also, Hades, Hollow Knight, Divinity : Original Sin 2 and Shin Megami Tensei V are all really good.
Divinity OS2, get ready to put aside 200 hours for the most amazing adventure.
I so enjoyed the first one AND the monstrosity d: os2.
Spiritually. Same creator. The differing Xeno- games followed Tetsuya Takahashi's employers. Xenogears with Square, Xenosaga with Bandai Namco, and then Xenoblade with his own company (Monolith Soft, which is effectively a 2nd party studio mostly owned by Nintendo).

I highly, highly recommend those games with the caveat that they're absurdly huge and I haven't actually finished any of them. They aggressively scratch that philosophical itch I crave in my JRPGs.
Speaking of japanese stuff, THE BOY AND THE HERON is finally out in the states....
got the japanese version in my sights for watching with wifey one of these days.
Big Hayao Miyazaki admirer here... princess mononoke is, depending on my mood of the day, my favorite film top 3.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Try to get a glow in the dark one if you can with PLA. Eryone makes a good one of just the normal green glow in the dark that works very well and is quite easy to print with and it's pretty neat how much it glows when it gets UV exposure.
Didn't see this until now,
Just bought 4 matte pla's, (for starting) (i think the matte looks better than the shine of basic) black white red green... 2 silk pla's, gold and i think pink.
One pla-basic blue-grey.

Next round of buying would be either the .2mm or .6/8mm head (after we test out 4mm that it comes with. and possibly next round get hardened steel ((stainless steel??)or whatever the one for use with pet-g)... so next round of filament buys will be petg and maybe the .2mm / .4mm or higher /// different hotbed and glue stuff etc.... etc etc....

HEY.... question, what glue do you use to glue pieces together? just any glue? glue is glue innit?
but is there special glue?

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Didn't see this until now,
Just bought 4 matte pla's, (for starting) (i think the matte looks better than the shine of basic) black white red green... 2 silk pla's, gold and i think pink.
One pla-basic blue-grey.

Next round of buying would be either the .2mm or .6/8mm head (after we test out 4mm that it comes with. and possibly next round get hardened steel ((stainless steel??)or whatever the one for use with pet-g)... so next round of filament buys will be petg and maybe the .2mm / .4mm or higher /// different hotbed and glue stuff etc.... etc etc....

HEY.... question, what glue do you use to glue pieces together? just any glue? glue is glue innit?
but is there special glue?
Ok first, get some desicant packs and ziplock bags or a container that is air tight with those packs in. Moisture matters for filament. If there's moisture the filament will get brittle or have issues printing - stinging etc.

Also go to all3dp.com and study up on print temps and what not for each type - Pla, tpu, petg, abs, Asa, etc.

Then find a new notebook and dedicate it to the printer - you'll want to keep notes on best print temps for each filament. Color additives and different filament brands have different temps that make it work best. They'll have a range written on them which is very broad and vague. For example the Eryone Glow in the dark pla, says 190 is best but I have found 207 was better for me on my printers.

Now glue. Thing about these materials is some glue will eat through the materials. Pla is polylactic acid, it breaks down Eco friendly but some glues will melt through it.

Here's a good source for info. Like I said, great site for all the questions you'll have - print temp, glass temp, slicer info for best settings, everything.

Oh and quick printing tip - buy an extra build plate or two. PEI flexible are best. Easy to pop prints off and clean. Also these are very cool because the texture shows on the prints that touch build plates.

The notebook you keep is handy. You'll want to write down tweaks and what not to slicing settings or print settings and it helps as a quick guide to the nuances you'll face. Do a lot of test prints mate, just a lot. Do the temp tower, the level print tests, benchy is a typical first print to see how dialled in your printer is for detail, level, etc.

Benchy is going to help with calibration etc.

Reactions: LOGiK

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Divinity OS2, get ready to put aside 200 hours for the most amazing adventure.
I so enjoyed the first one AND the monstrosity d: os2.

Speaking of japanese stuff, THE BOY AND THE HERON is finally out in the states....
got the japanese version in my sights for watching with wifey one of these days.
Big Hayao Miyazaki admirer here... princess mononoke is, depending on my mood of the day, my favorite film top 3.
I gotta watch The Boy and The Heron as well. Been looking forward to it but would rather steam it on the iptv box.

BTW - Japan was super fun to visit.

Although my favorite place I've been the last 10 months is Vietnam. My wife was shocked but happy to see how much I loved it there given I despise places that are that hot. But the overwhelming sense of peace and calmness that washes over you when you're there is just hard to explain.

But back to Japan though, the art and movies by Miyazaki and his son, the many influences by him in Japanese animation was just awesome to see while there. I remember we were in Osaka and my wife turns to me and goes "I'm glad you made me watch My Neighbor Toro, Howls Moving Castle, Princess Mononoke, and Akira." Akira was one I had to force her to sit and watch before we went and she saw the art and little things that reference it in so many of the art stores and Don Quijote's lol.

Don't get me on the absolute f***ing chaos those damn stores are. Their damn theme song is forever burned into my memory. We are going back to Japan next year for the Cherry Blossom festival like we did this year but other parts of Japan. Only trip I have this year is Orlando and Miami later in the year and maybe Hawaii again.

Loading the bloody Suica and ICOCA cards digitally was such a pain in the ass.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Ok first, get some desicant packs and ziplock bags or a container that is air tight with those packs in. Moisture matters for filament. If there's moisture the filament will get brittle or have issues printing - stinging etc.

Also go to all3dp.com and study up on print temps and what not for each type - Pla, tpu, petg, abs, Asa, etc.

Then find a new notebook and dedicate it to the printer - you'll want to keep notes on best print temps for each filament. Color additives and different filament brands have different temps that make it work best. They'll have a range written on them which is very broad and vague. For example the Eryone Glow in the dark pla, says 190 is best but I have found 207 was better for me on my printers.

Now glue. Thing about these materials is some glue will eat through the materials. Pla is polylactic acid, it breaks down Eco friendly but some glues will melt through it.

Here's a good source for info. Like I said, great site for all the questions you'll have - print temp, glass temp, slicer info for best settings, everything.

Oh and quick printing tip - buy an extra build plate or two. PEI flexible are best. Easy to pop prints off and clean. Also these are very cool because the texture shows on the prints that touch build plates.

The notebook you keep is handy. You'll want to write down tweaks and what not to slicing settings or print settings and it helps as a quick guide to the nuances you'll face. Do a lot of test prints mate, just a lot. Do the temp tower, the level print tests, benchy is a typical first print to see how dialled in your printer is for detail, level, etc.

Benchy is going to help with calibration etc.

It is mostly for the kid, BUT... i will be the foreman basically when things go wrong and such... So yeah, I know moisture is crazy and especially in PA in the summer, the moisture / humidity is just outrageous so I honestly have no idea what to do with that, load and unload pla every single time I guess I'll have to do. It is in a poor location, firstly and mostly - because of the vibration... holy hell can that thing vibrate like a washing machine... that alone caught me by surprise and now have to improvise locations (we have no room man. No table space room at least where you can put a 3d printer).

So I kept the filament on the spool last night after the test 3color benchy mostly because it was a cool dry night (for once). So will do another test benchy probably 1 color when I move it to the new location. --- OH, yeah, I have the gold abs/pla/petg plate (i'm going to buy maybe 2/3 nozzles and 2 or so hotbeds (the stuff is cheap enough surprisingly)) and it does have a cool pattern / sparkle on the bottom of the benchy print.
Test print i'd say is ALMOST spot on. the back cabin opening is off a bit, slight closing of the circle near the top of the circle ---really barely noticeable, minor scuff, but it is there, will have to re-test on a STABLE TABLE. The table it is on now is an old school desk, the table kind for two students, so its long and flat but the legs are TOO LONG... man the printer vibrates to where wifey even joked about it =] the table doesn't stand a chance at all to keep sturdy with that little shaker on top

The thing is magic to me.... really. It basically tattoo's filament with a brain. Bambu is pretty good, happy with the recommendation, looked it up and had no question that was the quality we wanted. Kiddo loves the (bambu handy) app, gets to watch the prints, on the print cam etc....

I don't care much for perfect perfect perfect prints (i do obviously, but i dont want to stress over it to the point i give up... 3d benchy thingy gave me hope for how simple it was-a fragile confidence hah...
rambling... ok thanks again!!
I will start a lil printer bible

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad