OT: HFPens Community Lounge: Its been 84 years... But now Karlsson is here

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
I haven't heard about the company- what's the deal-o there?

Maybe it's not the company, but just the submersible and operation of it that I've seen more than a few things about that would make me "nope out" immediately.

Like, there's no way out of the vehicle unless someone on the outside un-bolts it? It's controlled with a logitech PS3 controller? And you're betting your life on that after being in one of Bezos' space launches?

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I work with some high pressure stuff (2800 psig being the highest I've been around) and can't imagine being trapped under 6000 psig with other people and no way out.

At least I could, in theory, run away.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Giving up on TOTK... just massively big and quests that are just fetch or chore quests, because nobody can do anything without you. eh. I'll speed hurry the main quest line... but lost interest.
Still fun and all... but I've hit my breaking point.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Man my backlog of games is a million years long, so I tend not to play a lot of old games and ignore most remakes. Then Nintendo comes out with a Mario RPG remake and I just can't say no to such a targeted dose of nostalgia. That intro music instantly transports me to 1996.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Now suspecting they passed on Sunday

Photo: OceanGate via Reuters. Graphic: Will Chase and Sarah Grillo/Axios
A secret military acoustic-detection system — dating to the Cold War, and designed to spot enemy submarines — first heard what the U.S. Navy suspected was the Titan submersible imploding on Sunday, hours after the submersible began its voyage, The Wall Street Journal reports (subscription).
• The Navy told the Coast Guard right away. Officials held off making their discovery public because they "wanted to ensure search-and-rescue operations continued and couldn’t say for sure it was an implosion."

Aboard the Titan (from left): Shahzada Dawood, 48; his son, Suleman Dawood, age 19; Paul-Henri Nargeolet, 77; pilot and OceanGate founder and CEO Stockton Rush, 61; and Hamish Harding, 58. Photo: AP
The search for the Titanic-bound submersible is now an investigation and salvage mission, after the announcement that all five people aboard were killed when the vessel imploded deep in the North Atlantic.
🎞️ "Titanic" film director James Cameron, who has made multiple dives to the wreckage of the Titanic, told the BBC that he knew an "extreme catastrophic event" had happened as soon as he heard the submersible lost navigation and communications at the same time.
• He said briefings about 96 hours of oxygen supply and banging noises were a "prolonged and nightmarish charade" that gave false hope.
More from James Cameron.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Now suspecting they passed on Sunday

Photo: OceanGate via Reuters. Graphic: Will Chase and Sarah Grillo/Axios
A secret military acoustic-detection system — dating to the Cold War, and designed to spot enemy submarines — first heard what the U.S. Navy suspected was the Titan submersible imploding on Sunday, hours after the submersible began its voyage, The Wall Street Journal reports (subscription).
• The Navy told the Coast Guard right away. Officials held off making their discovery public because they "wanted to ensure search-and-rescue operations continued and couldn’t say for sure it was an implosion."

Aboard the Titan (from left): Shahzada Dawood, 48; his son, Suleman Dawood, age 19; Paul-Henri Nargeolet, 77; pilot and OceanGate founder and CEO Stockton Rush, 61; and Hamish Harding, 58. Photo: AP
The search for the Titanic-bound submersible is now an investigation and salvage mission, after the announcement that all five people aboard were killed when the vessel imploded deep in the North Atlantic.
🎞️ "Titanic" film director James Cameron, who has made multiple dives to the wreckage of the Titanic, told the BBC that he knew an "extreme catastrophic event" had happened as soon as he heard the submersible lost navigation and communications at the same time.
• He said briefings about 96 hours of oxygen supply and banging noises were a "prolonged and nightmarish charade" that gave false hope.
More from James Cameron.

I've been discussing this on another board, with same conclusion since most of the info came out monday. Based on when comms were lost in relation to their total dive time, they died almost instantly. Second "best" outcome next to rescue TBH.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Wall, brick, and rail has been done for a while. Going to get another rail installed. Random mix of perennials are coming in too.

jPhD09J.jpeg

In another thread I mentioned how the GF's family is coming in for the weekend. They just called and said they're lost. How in the world in this day and age do you get lost?!?

"What app are you using for directions?"
"I don't know."
"Can you download Waze?"
"I don't know how to do that."

Holy hell. There asking us to help them find a way to the place they're staying but they won't tell us where they are.

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Wall, brick, and rail has been done for a while. Going to get another rail installed. Random mix of perennials are coming in too.

jPhD09J.jpeg

In another thread I mentioned how the GF's family is coming in for the weekend. They just called and said they're lost. How in the world in this day and age do you get lost?!?

"I don't know."
"Can you download Waze?"

Holy hell. There asking us to help them find a way to the place they're staying but they won't tell us where they are.

Stairs look like a nice place to sleep.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

jPhD09J.jpeg

"I don't know."
"Can you download Waze?"

My parents do this shit to me all the time.

Tell them you are hacking the mainframe to triangulate their coordinates via GPS and just hang up. That generation loves to bang on and on about bootstraps or whatever. So clearly they can figure it out.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
"Okay, take a left out of the Sheetz you're at. Then go to Interstate 79. Take 79 South to 376 East."
"79 North to go to Erie?"
"No, 79 South to Washington."
"We don't want to go to Washington."
"Yes you do to get on 376 East."
"What's that?"

This is actually low key giving me family stress since it's so spot on in regards to my experience haha

These people have like houses, 401Ks and a lifetime of learning about the world around them or whatever but suddenly they don't know how to navigate a vehicle.

Last edited:

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Okay so we've got them from Robinson thru the West End now. About to go across the bridge. I'm sure they'll miss an exit.

Yep they did. We told them to go across the West End bridge. But then they didn't. So then they panicked and all started yelling on the phone so we couldn't hear what they were saying.

I think they're back towards the West End bridge.

Omg they're lost again. "We can't turn left." "Why are you turning left?"

We think they're on Carson about to turn right on the bridge. Told them to take the exit for 65 South.

Okay, I think they're almost to the 28 North exit.

I'm shaking from the stress.

"Okay so we're taking the Millvale exit."
"WHY ARE YOU TAKING THE MILLVALE EXIT WE TOLD YOU TO TAKE THE SHARPSBURG EXIT."

Last edited:

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Okay so we've got them from Robinson thru the West End now. About to go across the bridge. I'm sure they'll miss an exit.

Yep they did. We told them to go across the West End bridge. But then they didn't. So then they panicked and all started yelling on the phone so we couldn't hear what they were saying.

I think they're back towards the West End bridge.

Omg they're lost again. "We can't turn left." "Why are you turning left?"

We think they're on Carson about to turn right on the bridge. Told them to take the exit for 65 South.

Okay, I think they're almost to the 28 North exit.

I'm shaking from the stress.

"Okay so we're taking the Millvale exit."
"WHY ARE YOU TAKING THE MILLVALE EXIT WE TOLD YOU TO TAKE THE SHARPSBURG EXIT."

That's so misleading telling them to take the Sharpsburg exit because they'll actually take the Sharpsburgh exit to the right instead of crossing the Highland Park bridge.

You are messing with them at this point.

Edit: Oh, you probably mean the 62nd street bridge. They'll still end up in Sharpsburgh...

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
That's so misleading telling them to take the Sharpsburg exit because they'll actually take the Sharpsburgh exit to the right instead of crossing the Highland Park bridge.

You are messing with them at this point.

Edit: Oh, you probably mean the 62nd street bridge. They'll still end up in Sharpsburgh...

Nah, still wanted them to take the Sburg exit to the 62nd st bridge. It worked out. They thought they were exiting into Millvale but the signage confused them. I then ran to meet them near the Rite Aid here in Morningside. And then they almost hit me with their car. :laugh:

All good now. Need some beer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad