OT: HFPens Community Lounge: Its been 84 years... But now Karlsson is here

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Let me know how it is.
The wife and I tried to watch it last night.

Ever see those memes of the wife that goes on her phone during movies or asks questions about shit about a movie you haven’t seen (even in this case where studying Literature in my young college days, makes me familiar with Poe)…10mins in she’s on her damn phone playing some mobile game, Turbo was snoring beside me (and farting rancid farts) and that was enough for me.

So I went to my old comfort show - The early years of Top Gear, usual Stig Shenanigans, Clarkson saying something dumb, Hammond and May mocking him and their competition.

I will try to watch it on my own away from that nuisance and her phone. It’s got an amazing cast, it’s very slow paced but I don’t mind that at all. My wife on the other hand….this is a person that likes Greys Anatomy and The New Girl. Any show I watch that has more blokes that sound like me (“Uk accent” as my wife calls how I speak, or the Irish accent etc, she needs subtitles or she keeps asking me wtf someone said like how we speak is hard to understand. She went off about how we say Aluminium blah blah).

This is what I married.

Edit: The 30mins I did watch before I had to stop, it nailed the Macabre feeling and I was fully into the performances.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
My wife on the other hand….this is a person that likes Greys Anatomy and The New Girl.
New Girl is actually pretty funny imo. It does the silly stuff really well. It struggles with the raunchy stuff though. Schmidt in particular is like two different characters smashed into one, and only one of them is funny. CeCe and Coach get some of that too. Nick and Winston are funnier than most sitcom characters I've seen in a while though. And jess is fine as a plot driver I guess. Has some funny boyfriends at least :laugh: The show isn't incredible, but it's well ahead of the average sitcom imo. Easy show to have on and play some switch at the same time and still get some laughs.

Greys anatomy is a nightmare though. Luckily my wife got sick of it pretty quickly.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
New Girl is actually pretty funny imo. It does the silly stuff really well. It struggles with the raunchy stuff though. Schmidt in particular is like two different characters smashed into one, and only one of them is funny. CeCe and Coach get some of that too. Nick and Winston are funnier than most sitcom characters I've seen in a while though. And jess is fine as a plot driver I guess. Has some funny boyfriends at least :laugh: The show isn't incredible, but it's well ahead of the average sitcom imo. Easy show to have on and play some switch at the same time and still get some laughs.

Greys anatomy is a nightmare though. Luckily my wife got sick of it pretty quickly.

Ok here’s what I will say about New Girl.

Great show with the comedy. But every part about Zooey is the worst parts of the show. I can not stand her. I like how idiotic the rest are as a group, but Deschanel is annoying as shit. I never got why she was popular, she’s awful and sucks the air out of scenes for me with being dreadful. I don’t know why that is, but she just does that to me.

Greys was just bad from the start. I can’t remember if it was the first scene or not - but a bloke has sex with the main female lead, I guess he took a blue pill because now he needs his knob drained. I sat through that and said yeah no.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Ok here’s what I will say about New Girl.

Great show with the comedy. But every part about Zooey is the worst parts of the show. I can not stand her. I like how idiotic the rest are as a group, but Deschanel is annoying as shit. I never got why she was popular, she’s awful and sucks the air out of scenes for me with being dreadful. I don’t know why that is, but she just does that to me.

Greys was just bad from the start. I can’t remember if it was the first scene or not - but a bloke has sex with the main female lead, I guess he took a blue pill because now he needs his knob drained. I sat through that and said yeah no.
She's the worst character for sure. I wouldn't go all the way to dreadful, but definitely the worst part of the show.

And yeah greys is bad. That's dreadful.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I've to purchase a new set today... old one just turned off right in the middle of watching something -- to never turn on again thereafter. 💀 ⚰️
So I'm tasked with heading out and getting a new one.... excited... haven't bought a tv in years. :dd:

Reactions: Zirakzigil

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
She's the worst character for sure. I wouldn't go all the way to dreadful, but definitely the worst part of the show.

She does that aloof ditzy thing in the most annoying way possible. Her voice is like nails on a chalk board.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
I watched Glass Onion the other night. Very ehhhhh. Sequels seem to never be decent lately. Wasnt the worst movie, but it wasnt great either.

It was just horribly written compared to the first one.

Bautista and his weird tangent about boobs, Ed Norton and his obvious Steve Jobbs shtick, the cringy dialogue Kate Hudson has, the really shitty celebrity name drops throughout the movie that just seemed out of place and ridiculous even if that was the intention it just never felt right for the most part.

I mean even Blanc at one point goes this whole thing is so dumb, even in the plot he thinks this whole situation is dumb, when you write a movie and the character calls the entire situation dumb, maybe sit down and think about how your subconscious is telling you this movie stinks.

And she holds up a red napkin, emails her pals that all f***ed her over to warn them? Like how moronic is that? She goes from smart and methodical and neatly put together to being sloppy and not calling her lawyer. Then her twin holds it super close to Norton and he just lights it up. Like the one thing that vindicates your sister you handle it haphazardly??

And so the chaos ensues and they all now agree to turn on him, they’ll all have to now explain how they perjured themselves. More shit writing.

The problem to me is also that in the first one Ana De Armas is the person you’re seeing the mystery through, Craig is the detective that unravels it all but you don’t have that pov in this one. The detective is it but it just doesn’t work because even he’s perplexed at how stupid the whole f***ing thing is.

This is one of the worst movies to somehow get a good rating just because people loved the first one so much they voted it on the nostalgia of it.

Reactions: Zirakzigil

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

I love Zooey...but when you play a character that is already Flanderized from the start there's only so much you can do with the character. The roommates were basically cardboard cutouts for her to bounce off of that just so happened to be played by talented and funny people and thus grew into more developed characters more naturally...this is especially obvious given the pilot. That show doesn't get made or survive long enough for that to happen without Zooey to sell it, though. I can't even tell you how many pilot scripts I've read that are 'me and my twenty-something roommates are hilarious.'

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I love Zooey...but when you play a character that is already Flanderized from the start there's only so much you can do with the character. The roommates were basically cardboard cutouts for her to bounce off of that just so happened to be played by talented and funny people and thus grew into more developed characters more naturally...this is especially obvious given the pilot. That show doesn't get made or survive long enough for that to happen without Zooey to sell it, though. I can't even tell you how many pilot scripts I've read that are 'me and my twenty-something roommates are hilarious.'
for sure they needed her to sell it. Like I said, I don't dislike her, I just like the rest more. The show really is nothing at all special on paper. Honestly that show is probably high on the list of shows you could use as an example of how important casting is in a sitcom. Jake Johnson in particular makes Nick about 200% funnier than he is written.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012

I don’t know if I’d call the rest that boring or cardboard cut outs. She’s the typical female ditzy character from bad 90s rom-com movies.

Like she was a shitty parody of Rachel Leigh Cook in She’s All That.

The southern accents were atrocious. I mean, Daniel Craig's Foghorn Leghorn impression in the first one was grating then too.

Yeah and Rhian kind of made him a parody of himself from the first movie. All of a sudden he goes from being a cocksure detective to struggling what to do with his life as a detective in the second one. Rhian sucks.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I don’t know if I’d call the rest that boring or cardboard cut outs. She’s the typical female ditzy character from bad 90s rom-com movies.

that's pretty much the point though, right? Bringing that character into an apartment with 3 dudes not at all like that?

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
that's pretty much the point though, right? Bringing that character into an apartment with 3 dudes not at all like that?
It is but she didn’t really change much. Like the same annoying bs for seasons on seasons. I could only last 3 seasons before I said I’m done and that took a long time to keep coming back to, watch a bit, then not for weeks etc.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

Yeah and Rhian kind of made him a parody of himself from the first movie. All of a sudden he goes from being a cocksure detective to struggling what to do with his life as a detective in the second one. Rhian sucks.

They became good characters. They weren't designed that way from the start. That's not unusual for sitcoms, where breakout characters overshadowing main characters is a tradition as old as the medium. That show's core reason for existing was to be a vehicle for Zooey Deschanel, which is also a tradition as old as the medium. The roommates were developed by finding the right actors for the roles and writing off of them, rather than having those characters set from the pitch. The only downside to this is that they were inevitably under-developed from the start because it's hard to write for a character you don't fully understand yet. Some shows come with a story bible hundreds of pages long that have biographies of every character spelling out motivations and desires for plotlines years down the line... and others are more of a sandbox. New Girl was emphatically and proudly in the sandbox camp.

Jess was initially designed to be an exaggerated deconstruction version of the manic pixie dream girl trope, of which She's All That helped mint and Deschanel was synonymous with at the time. The biggest problem there, in my opinion at least, is that the manic pixie dream girl is already such a cartoonishly extreme trope that an exaggerated version of that tended to come off just as a manic pixie dream girl...and marketing really leaned into it. Wouldn't even be the first time Zooey Deschanel played a character deconstructing the trope only for it to be held up as the golden example of the trope.

I'm agreeing that it's the roommates that gave that show legs. Even as a Zooey fan I can't fathom the show that was pitched lasting more than 2 seasons.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
so my neighbors got a new puppy (super cute) and now my 2yo dog just begs to go out all day and stares at their door. And forgets that she actually does sometimes need to go to the bathroom :laugh: :cry:

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada

I didn’t mind that about his character. I liked how they brought the pandemic aspect into the movie at the beginning.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
I didn’t mind that about his character. I liked how they brought the pandemic aspect into the movie at the beginning.

I didn’t really care for the Pandemic part, I mean this late into it, it just felt like it really was not needed for the plot and it was mostly thrown in to shove as many celebrity cameos possible.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Watching Survivor 43... not a too bad a season... ---we go through eps semi quickly, in the earlier ones at least, because we skip the sob stories or anything non survivor related... added on drivel.
Primary show, Columbo, we only have three eps remaining :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad