HFHabs 2020 Mock Draft - Completed

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
The Washington Capitals are proud to select, defenseman, Anton Johannesson.

I had to check like 100 times to make sure I wasn't blind and missing him. Getting one of the best defenseman in the draft this late is absolutely incredible for me. There are risks with injuries, but the size is zero issue because his hockey IQ is among the best in the draft. His ability to read the play is top of the class. He has a very real possibility at being one of the best players in this draft if he can stay healthy and gain some strength.

haha. f***. I’m making my first pick at #79 and he was by far my top target. Nice pick

Reactions: Natey

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
:predators are pleased to select....

40-stranges,-antonio-(35)-ep.jpg

LW Antonio Stranges

"With this pick, we're continuing a sequence of draftees each flawed in their own way, each elite in their own way. Wallinder's a bit slow between the ears, but has an amazing toolset. Nikishin is much the same, though more physically developed, and less offensively inclined. Foerster arguably breaks the trend, but his shot is elite, while his lack of even-strength production is his bane. Stranges is no different: he's an amazing skater, able to change direction and weave his way through the defense like few others, but his production struggled this year because he's not overly efficient and he's extremely inconsistent- whether or not he's able to convert his playstyle to the pros is a major concern as a result. Stranges' unique puckhandling tendencies blow away everyone in the crowd and his creativity sets him apart from the rest of the pack, making him an intriguing prospect if things go right down the line."

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Ottawa Senators are pleased to select from Chicago Steele (USHL) RW Sean Farrell.

There are a ton of small, speedy, skilled forwards in this draft. Farrell is one of them. He seperates himself from the rest by really understanding how to use his lower center of gravity to create strength and power. He's engaged physically but can also be elusive when he needs to be. He uses back pressure and a smart stick on defense to create turnovers and can kill penalties. He's smart offensively with terrific hands for both scoring and passing, but he's not a top 6 or bust player. Will play at Harvard next season.

1st Round

1. Tim Stutzle (C) - Germany
2. Quinton Byfield (C) - OHL
3. Braden Schneider (RD) - WHL

2nd Round

4. Ryan O'Rourke (LD) - OHL
5. Zion Nybeck (LW/RW) - Sweden
6. Sam Colangelo (RW) - USHL/NCAA
7. Carter Savoie (LW) - AJHL/NCAA

3rd Round

8. Luke Tuch (LW) - USHL/NCAA
9. Sean Farrell (RW) - USHL/NCAA

I will pm the next GM.

yoteshot

Lazy Habs fan
Aug 6, 2005
Gatineau / Ottawa
Ottawa Senators are pleased to select from Chicago Steele (USHL) RW Sean Farrell.

There are a ton of small, speedy, skilled forwards in this draft. Farrell is one of them. He seperates himself from the rest by really understanding how to use his lower center of gravity to create strength and power. He's engaged physically but can also be elusive when he needs to be. He uses back pressure and a smart stick on defense to create turnovers and can kill penalties. He's smart offensively with terrific hands for both scoring and passing, but he's not a top 6 or bust player. Will play at Harvard next season.

1st Round

2nd Round

3rd Round

I will pm the next GM.

What a draft that is (number of picks helps), but really surprised to see Ottawa go for as many forwards given the way they team is built right now. Franchise defining draft that's for sure.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
What a draft that is (number of picks helps), but really surprised to see Ottawa go for as many forwards given the way they team is built right now. Franchise defining draft that's for sure.

With the exception of the first 2 picks, forwards are 2-4 years away from pro, plus some that are currently in the system will be gone over that time period (through expansion, waivers, trades, etc). I wanted to take a D at this spot, but couldn't pass on Farrell once Johannesson was taken.

However, Sens have 4 picks left and I plan on going heavy on D.

Yes, this draft is going to be incredible for the Sens. They draft so well so they could easily come out of this draft with 2 elite players, at least 1 top 4D and some quality depth.

They know how to rebuild.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Can I send someone my next 5 guys? Will be tied up by the time this rolls around to me tomorrow. Best to keep things moving

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
:skeptic:

1st Round

2nd Round

3rd Round

I will pm the next GM.
Turning into a master class. Almost like picking on FanSpeak.com. Maybe expect a call from Melnyk :skeptic:...

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

VirginiaMtlExpat

Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
I'd rather have most the people part of the mock in charge of the Habs draft instead of Timmins
Agree with this. There are some very rational, astute posters here who can resist stubborn directives to draft for a needed position or for size at all costs, who are able to optimize several parameters at once while balancing their roster.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
So much of the success in this area is having a fairly precise feel for when players will come out, while balancing greed with a margin of safety for anticipated towering steals. That's also how I play it with fantasy hockey drafts. I had 3 teams out of 3 dominating their leagues when play stopped. I don't know enough about intended draft positions to play this however.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
:hawks are proud to select, from the Windsor Spitfires in the OHL, LW Will Cuylle.

cut.jpg

"Big, rugged winger who plays a power game, so far he hasn’t yet blossomed as anticipated, but he has untapped potential, including the size, the shot, and the smarts to be a valuable power forward in the NHL. It’s just a matter of bringing the production every game, to find consistency. Good skater who can generate power on his net drives and who protects the puck well through traffic. Cuylle also has a very good release on his shot. His 2-way game is surprisingly good, he can stop plays in the neutral zone pretty often. If his offensive production doesn't develop enough at the next level, he could simply refine his 2-way game instead. Cuylle will need some time to reach his potential."

9- G Yaroslav Askarov
56- LHD Shakir Mukhamadullin
71- W Daniel Torgersson
76- LW Will Cuylle

Florida and @Fozz will be PMed.

Reactions: Vachon23

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Hey guys,

I think I'll have to skip, for this year, after all. I really haven't had enough time catch up with all the prospects, this year. So if anyone wants Pittsburgh, go ahead.

Sorry

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Pick #77 - Florida pick D Michael Benning - Sherwood Park Crusaders - AJHL

Benning is dynamic d-man with excellent puck distribution skills and vision. While points don't mean everything, he did match Cale Makar's draft year point total in the AJHL. He has good bloodlines and is committed to U of Denver and will need a few years there to gain some weight and get stronger.

Habs76 PMd

Last edited:

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Pick #77 - Florida pick D Michael Benning - Sherwood Park Crusaders - AJHL

Benning is dynamic d-man with excellent puck distribution skills and vision. While points don't mean everything, he did match Cale Makar's draft year point total in the AJHL. He has good bloodlines and is committed to U of Denver and will need a few years there to gain some weight and get stronger.

Thought I may be able to steal this guy.

Now down to one player in my next tier, getting dicey.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
:predators select...

e9349a88679a39f430a7cca9df954c08.jpg

RW Maxim Groshev

"Maxim is your archetypal big, strong winger, and the second KHL player the Preds have taken this draft. He's pretty fast and plays a basic north-south, 'North American' style. His wristshot is among his mostly deadly attributes, though even it isn't particularly outstanding. Being a late-2001 birthday, we feel Groshev is among the most NHL ready prospects available outside a few at the very top."

Reactions: Schooner Guy

OriginalCanadian

May 13, 2015
The Hammer
Just proposing so that the mock can go forward, and to lighten the charge on @Tomas Tatahhh a bit.

I already picked 4 times with the Hawks though, so if someone with less picks would want it (first one is 86th with the Pens), just ask.
I would be fine to take Pitt as well, I've had zero picks so far. If there was anyone on a waiting list I'd suggest they should get them if they want.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad