HFBoards TOP 50 Prospects Ranking #14 (closed)

• Jiri Kulich - C/W

• Anton Silayev - D

• Shane Wright - C

• Olen Zellweger - D

• Jonathan Lekkerimaki - RW

• David Reinbacher - D

• Berkly Catton - C

• Gabe Perreault - RW

• Zayne Parekh - D

• Callum Ritchie - C

• Jimmy Snuggerud - RW

• Denton Mateychuk - D

• Tij Iginla - C/W

• Dalibor Dvorsky - C

• Dmitri Simashev - D

• Lane Hutson - D

• Conor Geekie - C

• Nate Danielson - C

• Brad Lambert - C/W

• Sam Dickinson - D

• Matt Savoie - C

• Beckett Sennecke - RW

• Axel Sandin-Pellikka - D

• other (who?)

Results are only viewable after voting.

irishsetter13

Jan 24, 2016
thanks for the insight.... wasnt too aware of his "mistakes". Its always hard to compare players who produced a lot of the same team. Who were playing with the better linemates? their physical game? IQ, defense etc

Who was not ont he top line, though? Perreault or Gauthier (2C)?

every year theres a "recent draftee bias" on the list.... Whats odd about this year's is after the top 2 or 3 it’s quite close as we know. Picks 4-12 wouldve gone in many different ways.
Gauthier played primarily with two upper classmen and was part of their shutdown line. Always played against the other teams top lines.

Leonard-Smith-Perrault was the main offensive line.

Gauthier joined them on the power play though and usually would fill in when one of them missed a game.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Call me a homer, but I look at that list and don't see too many guys with the amount of accolades and hardware Denton Mateychuk earned this season. If he was a Montreal prospect, we'd hear about him more than Hutson.

Reactions: majormajor

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Not sure why no Yamemchuk in list, as OP has listed 4D that were drafted after him as options.
Yakemchuk was behind the other 4 Dmen on pretty much every pre-draft rank list. Like Sennecke, if a team reached to get a player it doesnt make them better.

Also I did put him up in one poll and got 0 votes. If Dickinson, Parekh, and SIlayev arent close to getting enough votes now, Yakemchuk surely wont either.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
thanks for the insight.... wasnt too aware of his "mistakes". Its always hard to compare players who produced a lot of the same team. Who were playing with the better linemates? their physical game? IQ, defense etc

Who was not ont he top line, though? Perreault or Gauthier (2C)?
It depends on which unit you classify their "top" line.

For the most part Gauthier played with Gasseau and Malone as a veteran line and Gauthier was really the only guy with high NHL potential on that line. I wouldn't say he carried his line necessarily but he was very clearly the straw that mixed the drink. Smith, Leonard, and Perreault almost always played together. I never really saw that there was one guy among them that consistently ran and dictated the offense. They were more of a quick strike counterattacking line that would link with each other on the rush. If there was a guy that you could call the puck moving pivot once they were set up offensively, it would be Smith. So for my estimation, not considering age and just judging consistency of performances I'd rank and comment on them like this:

Gauthier: as mentioned, he didn't have as much top end talent on his line and he was still one of the most productive players in the nation while playing a very rarely talked about high level defensive game. The one knock I'd give him is there were times he could have played with more intensity and purpose to be a primary play driver and I think he displayed he has that potential in the NCAA finals but it's an aspect of his game that still needs work. He also has an NHL game under his belt where he showed a lot of promise as a potential goal scoring two way winger or center in Anaheim's top 6 when he gets more experience.

Smith: I think the best strengths are pure dynamism, top notch vision, and skilled hands. I think Smith may be slower than Leonard and Perreault but faster than Gauthier (which is not to say he's slow) but where he doesn't have that scorching footspeed like his linemates I think he process the game faster and has faster reflexes which translate into offensive zone play that is simply more effective and efficient. It's why when watching him, Smith will be more likely to make something happen seemingly when a play is impossible but he'll make good things happen in traffic. If I have any knocks on him, it's that he could stand to improve his two way game overall (the effort is somewhat there but the effectiveness is lacking) and, not as much a knock as a concern with guys who feast on defenders in tight traffic situations, there's a number of levels of higher defensive pressure Smith would face at the NHL level so I'd expect that when he starts his NHL career there will be a long adaptation period as he works on his timing and decision making.

Leonard: to me feels like an ideal supporting winger. He has speed and a good sense for when to jump into the play and as long as he doesn't have to have the puck on his stick for longer than 6+ seconds, he's good at finding plays to make be it a smart shot with a good release or a well placed and timed pass to either set up a high danger chance or keep possession for BC. But that does get him to where his problem spots are. He is not, by any stretch, someone you'd depend on to be a line's pivot as he's more prone than Smith to get lost on what to do with the puck in the face of mounting defensive pressure and on a number of occasions he'd force passes that would lead to turnovers or shoot it right into a defender just for the sake of getting a shot off and leave me asking "what the f*** are you doing Leonard?". He's at his best when his unit is going full speed ahead attacking from the neutral zone in a counter rush or when his team as a unit just happens to be clicking. His defensive effort/effectiveness is a bit higher than Smith as I'd say he's a more effective forechecker. He has work to do on becoming more effective and smarter when his team has the five man o-zone set up but there's no denying he's got talent. All of em do, but I'd feel better about the first two projecting into the NHL while I feel better about Leonard than Perreault.

Perreault: the numbers are there, the speed is there, the raw shooting and passing ability is there. Perreault approaches the game much in the same way Leonard does where they're both more effective in quick fire offense scenarios than in o-zone set up play. The reason I'd rank Perreault last is that while his speed is a clear asset, Perreault was far and away the most likely to try skating past a defender and lose it with little defensive effort against or force passes in any of the 3 zones that would get blocked off by defenders. To put it simply, I think he has the biggest question marks when it comes to hockey IQ (decision making) and adaptability to the pro game. As an example, he'd make a higher than ideal number of mistakes with the puck of he was the guy carrying the puck into the offensive zone, and in situations where he clearly couldn't rush right to the net and had to pass it off, he very regularly turned it over. His defensive efforts are fine for an offense first speedster but I don't think any coach at his level is clamoring to get him in a PK unit. I've seen it mentioned a number of times that he's the youngest of the four and I agree he still has plenty of time to improve, but for now I view him as the most likely to be a liability to his team of that big 4 and if he was my team's prospect I'd have concerns about his adaptability once he gets to the NHL. He could well just be a second line speedster who helps his team by quickly moving it through the neutral zone and cashing in loose pucks or exploiting defensive breakdowns. If you asked me today though, I'd say he'll need a talented center to thrive in the NHL. I just don't know if he has enough tools in his kit to warrant a first line spot.

Either way, I personally wouldn't be voting for him with my next five picks.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Call me a homer, but I look at that list and don't see too many guys with the amount of accolades and hardware Denton Mateychuk earned this season. If he was a Montreal prospect, we'd hear about him more than Hutson.

If he was a Habs prospect he'd be on the board already, no doubt.

Yakemchuk was behind the other 4 Dmen on pretty much every pre-draft rank list. Like Sennecke, if a team reached to get a player it doesnt make them better.

Both players were getting multiple top 5 votes on Bob Mckenzie's poll. Pronman had scouts all year telling him about how they'd take Yakemchuk high.

Those are divisive prospects, not reaches.

Many of us who watch prospects all year ranked them very high - I had Sennecke 5th and Yakemchuk close behind him. It sucks that what we see in the prospects is thrown out the window in these discussions, as is where teams actually saw fit to take them, it's all about pre-draft hype.

Reactions: wetcoast

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
It depends on which unit you classify their "top" line.

For the most part Gauthier played with Gasseau and Malone as a veteran line and Gauthier was really the only guy with high NHL potential on that line. I wouldn't say he carried his line necessarily but he was very clearly the straw that mixed the drink. Smith, Leonard, and Perreault almost always played together. I never really saw that there was one guy among them that consistently ran and dictated the offense. They were more of a quick strike counterattacking line that would link with each other on the rush. If there was a guy that you could call the puck moving pivot once they were set up offensively, it would be Smith. So for my estimation, not considering age and just judging consistency of performances I'd rank and comment on them like this:

Gauthier: as mentioned, he didn't have as much top end talent on his line and he was still one of the most productive players in the nation while playing a very rarely talked about high level defensive game. The one knock I'd give him is there were times he could have played with more intensity and purpose to be a primary play driver and I think he displayed he has that potential in the NCAA finals but it's an aspect of his game that still needs work. He also has an NHL game under his belt where he showed a lot of promise as a potential goal scoring two way winger or center in Anaheim's top 6 when he gets more experience.

Smith: I think the best strengths are pure dynamism, top notch vision, and skilled hands. I think Smith may be slower than Leonard and Perreault but faster than Gauthier (which is not to say he's slow) but where he doesn't have that scorching footspeed like his linemates I think he process the game faster and has faster reflexes which translate into offensive zone play that is simply more effective and efficient. It's why when watching him, Smith will be more likely to make something happen seemingly when a play is impossible but he'll make good things happen in traffic. If I have any knocks on him, it's that he could stand to improve his two way game overall (the effort is somewhat there but the effectiveness is lacking) and, not as much a knock as a concern with guys who feast on defenders in tight traffic situations, there's a number of levels of higher defensive pressure Smith would face at the NHL level so I'd expect that when he starts his NHL career there will be a long adaptation period as he works on his timing and decision making.

Leonard: to me feels like an ideal supporting winger. He has speed and a good sense for when to jump into the play and as long as he doesn't have to have the puck on his stick for longer than 6+ seconds, he's good at finding plays to make be it a smart shot with a good release or a well placed and timed pass to either set up a high danger chance or keep possession for BC. But that does get him to where his problem spots are. He is not, by any stretch, someone you'd depend on to be a line's pivot as he's more prone than Smith to get lost on what to do with the puck in the face of mounting defensive pressure and on a number of occasions he'd force passes that would lead to turnovers or shoot it right into a defender just for the sake of getting a shot off and leave me asking "what the f*** are you doing Leonard?". He's at his best when his unit is going full speed ahead attacking from the neutral zone in a counter rush or when his team as a unit just happens to be clicking. His defensive effort/effectiveness is a bit higher than Smith as I'd say he's a more effective forechecker. He has work to do on becoming more effective and smarter when his team has the five man o-zone set up but there's no denying he's got talent. All of em do, but I'd feel better about the first two projecting into the NHL while I feel better about Leonard than Perreault.

Perreault: the numbers are there, the speed is there, the raw shooting and passing ability is there. Perreault approaches the game much in the same way Leonard does where they're both more effective in quick fire offense scenarios than in o-zone set up play. The reason I'd rank Perreault last is that while his speed is a clear asset, Perreault was far and away the most likely to try skating past a defender and lose it with little defensive effort against or force passes in any of the 3 zones that would get blocked off by defenders. To put it simply, I think he has the biggest question marks when it comes to hockey IQ (decision making) and adaptability to the pro game. As an example, he'd make a higher than ideal number of mistakes with the puck of he was the guy carrying the puck into the offensive zone, and in situations where he clearly couldn't rush right to the net and had to pass it off, he very regularly turned it over. His defensive efforts are fine for an offense first speedster but I don't think any coach at his level is clamoring to get him in a PK unit. I've seen it mentioned a number of times that he's the youngest of the four and I agree he still has plenty of time to improve, but for now I view him as the most likely to be a liability to his team of that big 4 and if he was my team's prospect I'd have concerns about his adaptability once he gets to the NHL. He could well just be a second line speedster who helps his team by quickly moving it through the neutral zone and cashing in loose pucks or exploiting defensive breakdowns. If you asked me today though, I'd say he'll need a talented center to thrive in the NHL. I just don't know if he has enough tools in his kit to warrant a first line spot.

Either way, I personally wouldn't be voting for him with my next five picks.
are you the assistant coach or something?? lol

thanks man! always appreciate the in depth analysis

If he was a Habs prospect he'd be on the board already, no doubt.

Both players were getting multiple top 5 votes on Bob Mckenzie's poll. Pronman had scouts all year telling him about how they'd take Yakemchuk high.

Those are divisive prospects, not reaches.

Many of us who watch prospects all year ranked them very high - I had Sennecke 5th and Yakemchuk close behind him. It sucks that what we see in the prospects is thrown out the window in these discussions, as is where teams actually saw fit to take them, it's all about pre-draft hype.
thats fine, Im not saying there were bad picks... both just went higher than expected. Sennecke was mostly based on his growth spurt it seems, which may be a steal in the end if he fills in nicely while keeping his skill, no doubt.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

thats fine, Im not saying there were bad picks... both just went higher than expected. Sennecke was mostly based on his growth spurt it seems, which may be a steal in the end if he fills in nicely while keeping his skill, no doubt.
No haha. I was very interested in BC because of the Gauthier trade and there was the added bonus of three draftees from 2023 and I'd watch with the specific intention of focusing on them and how they were progressing. If there's any four prospects I have a high number of viewings last season it's these four.

That said, as i wouldn't pick Perreault ahead of Leonard, I think he should be up there if the former is an option. But that's just my opinion.

Reactions: amnesiac

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

I wouldn't say mostly. It's a package of assets. If he fills out his frame, yeah that's a tantalizing build for a potential top line support for Carlsson and Gauthier who are, themselves, big boys. But I think what I've gathered from scouting reports, comments from Verbeek and other observers around Anaheim, and game footage is that he does have skilled hands, good vision, and a good nose for the net and knowing when to jump into plays. I think the big knocks are his skating and effectiveness in relying on his teammates. I think Anaheim is projecting that he'll improve on those flaws, hone his strengths, fill out his frame, and eventually end up an ideal top 6 complementary winger.

Reactions: amnesiac

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Yakemchuk was behind the other 4 Dmen on pretty much every pre-draft rank list.
Ya and the other 4 went from 8-12, not 7, so scouts and GM disagreed.
Like Sennecke, if a team reached to get a player it doesnt make them better.
Yet he’s on the list
Also I did put him up in one poll and got 0 votes. If Dickinson, Parekh, and SIlayev arent close to getting enough votes now, Yakemchuk surely wont either.
Yet you didn’t remove them, like you did with Yak.
Not to mention you said this.
Picks 4-12 couldve gone in many different ways, which makes it difficult to know where to slot them amongst the other prospects.

Last edited:
Reactions: wetcoast

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
thanks for the insight.... wasnt too aware of his "mistakes". Its always hard to compare players who produced a lot on the same team. Who were playing with the better linemates? their physical game? IQ, defense etc

Who was not on he top line, though? Perreault or Gauthier (2C)?

every year theres a "recent draftee bias" on the list.... Whats odd about this year's is after the top 2 or 3 its quite close as we know. Picks 4-12 couldve gone in many different ways, which makes it difficult to know where to slot them amongst the other prospects.
Fair enough on the recency bias but it only exists for some and then other prospects who are older and have great college or por in europe stats go high but for me it's all about NHL projectibility and a guy who projects as a really solid NHLer but not a huge fantasy guy is ritchie in the Avs system but everyone loves the new and high scoring guys it seems.

Sam Dickinson is another guy who is going to end up really low on this list even though he very well might be one of the guys who plays the most NHL games on the final list.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.

Yet he’s on the list

Picks 4-12 couldve gone in many different ways, which makes it difficult to know where to slot them amongst the other prospects.
Sounds like you should make your own poll so you dont get your fee fee's hurt that your prospect isn't where you want him to be.

Boucher was a top 10 pick for you too, do you think that made him any better after he was selected?

• Haha
Reactions: Golden_Jet

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Sounds like you should make your own poll so you dont get your fee fee's hurt that your prospect isn't where you want him to be.

Boucher was a top 10 pick for you too, do you think that made him any better after he was selected?
lol, just commenting on OP bias for Habs players, nothing more

Reactions: bert

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Parekh, Dickenson, Silayev, Yakemchuk and Reinbacher are all head and shoulders above Hutson.

That's not including the forwards (Iginla, Perreault, Catton, Wight) who are clearly above him.

Habs fans are funny.
Reinbacher is not above Hutson, let alone head and shoulders above lmao.

Reactions: Kudo Shinichi

I am Bettman

May 23, 2022
Hutson, is getting robbed big time
1721063390812.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: SnowblindNYR

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal

Yet he’s on the list

Once again, Pretty much ALL lists had Yakemchuk ranked after the aforementioned Dmen. That 4-12 grouping did not include him. He was always right after.

And yes, I rotate those who get zero votes…. Christ, he’ll get added soon. Fact if the matter is he won’t get voted anytime soon anyways. Relax.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Curiously already over 100 votes and many to a certain player who wasn’t getting THAT many votes prior….

Fishy

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
You know what's more exhausting than Habs fans bad takes/rankings?
Nothing off the top of my head.

Once again, Pretty much ALL lists had Yakemchuk ranked after the aforementioned Dmen. That 4-12 grouping did not include him. He was always right after.
The most popular one.
Some had earlier some had just after.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Nothing off the top of my head.

The most popular one.
Some had earlier some had just after.

15th….. avg rank amongst ALL popular sources

Anything else?

• Haha
Reactions: Golden_Jet

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

15th….. avg rank amongst ALL popular sources

Anything else?
Sennecke 13th

Weird list,
I don’t recall Buium with an average ranking of 3 on the supposed top lists.

Ad

Ad

Ad