HFBoards is the place to be

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Reddit is not a fun place for hockey. Circlejerks are just uninteresting and sensing where the wind is blowing. People don't like to be downvoted because we are primitive social beings so we´d rather just stop posting.

Here I can my post my own stupid take and it's just as visible as anyone else´s. Even when I get chewed out I can occasionally get a like or post of support from people who share my particular brand of stupidity.
While it is not my call to make, this sort of thing is IMO explicitly why we don't have a "dislike" reaction here. (We do have it on That Other Forum I Help Run, but it's small enough that folks are generally allowed to blow off steam more, so it's less of an issue there. "Dislike"/downvote, IMO, does not scale up well.)

Reactions: Macbanan

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
1 aspect that could be better is how far behind the site is if you're not logged in. Say a poster is on a time out or a 1st time visitor deciding if they want to make an account and they want to follow HF, they really can't. You are essentially 24hrs behind.
My understanding is that that is done for load management reasons.

Reactions: Edgelord

Edgelord

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
My understanding is that that is done for load management reasons.
If it could be fixed, I think it could help draw new members. To really see HF at its best you need to see the real time debates on issues that interest said person.
Man, you get a fire thread with 3 or 4 great debates going on, its hard to beat.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Canucks and Flames fanbases have hockey forums of their own and it’s very active. I came from the Canucks one called CDC (now known as CFF) but migrated over here because it became too much of a circle jerk with Jim Benning apologists and you were shunned if you had a “hot take”.

HF is a great community in general and has exponentially grown my knowledge of the game.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
If it could be fixed, I think it could help draw new members. To really see HF at its best you need to see the real time debates on issues that interest said person.
Man you get a fire thread with 3 or 4 great debates going on its hard to beat.
There really isn't a workaround for that which would let us pick-and-choose Interesting Threads, to the best of my knowledge.

Reactions: Edgelord

Edgelord

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
There really isn't a workaround for that which would let us pick-and-choose Interesting Threads, to the best of my knowledge.
Ahh, I may start sharing posts I see on HF that I know will drive debate on X, be cool if it draws more members

Reactions: Viqsi

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
The average user here can be super intense and self rightous at times. But there are definitely some good niche threads (Shoutout to the Marlies & Prospects thread on Leafs).

Just stay away from the Trade Rumors form.

Reactions: Ianturnedbull

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
I thought about If tomorrow HFBoards was all of a sudden extremely less active than it was now , like 500 total posts on the main board and team boards combined. It made me incredibly grateful for how vibrant and polarizing this community is, it really is the NHL of online hockey discussion

This place has free expression, countless progressive hockey talk, countless regressive hockey talk , and on game nights I truly can’t think of a better enhancement to the NHL than HFBoards excluding watching it with loved ones.

And it goes on every single day of the year, HFBoards is the place to be!! And if you’re a part of it, you’re a chosen one :D

Attachments

• i-love-you-man-bro-montana.gif
    i-love-you-man-bro-montana.gif
    166.8 KB · Views: 1

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I came here basically to read up on prospects back in 2000, but I ended up staying for the message board.

It's really a force of habit at this point for me as a the one stop shop to get my hockey fix.

Reactions: QuizGuy66 and Viqsi

TheLegend27

May 11, 2024
Seattle
People shit on the Caps constantly but there's no moderation or any oversight

Wilson does something, everyone bitches and moans

The mods are better here at sniffing that stuff out and locking threads if they get out of hand. Reddit also has like 600 posts every day on /r/hockey about highlights. More organized here

Also last thing on /r/hockey I feel most of the people there are either new to hockey or are teenagers. The way they write makes my head hurt. "gyatt these sigmas on the rangers" like what? speak english lol. HFBoards skews towards the older side which is better for more intellectual discussion believe it or not
Completely agree with how the vast majority on Reddit are new to hockey whose knowledge of the game can’t compare to the best posters here. Their main objective seems to be appearing funny making edgy jokes, meanwhile on HF it’s discussion first and humor second. What I like a lot about HF is how the politics are kept to a minimum or at-least limited to certain spaces, meanwhile Reddit hockey is a cesspool of uncalled for conversations have don’t relate to the post at all. Not to mention how Reddit promotes groupthink with the downvote button, which causes unpopular opinions being burrowed by what the collective thinks. This website is the best we have, as depressing as that may be sometimes 😂

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
My friends make fun of me for "posting on the hockey forum all the time" but I don't care. No better place to talk hockey. HF is 100x better than Reddit even when things get contentious.

The discussion format is completely superior in every way. Been here since August 2012, I hope to be posting here in August 2062 as well.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The average user here can be super intense and self rightous at times. But there are definitely some good niche threads (Shoutout to the Marlies & Prospects thread on Leafs).

Just stay away from the Trade Rumors form.
I like TR&FA, even if I'll occasionally grumble otherwise during low points. It's the most volatile place I regularly go to, sure, but that makes the occasional calm and good-natured discussions all the more engaging and enjoyable when they do arrive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad