OT: HF Jets Lounge: I love titles. Wait, titles? I thought you wrote... nvmd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustGivingEr

How far we done fell
Aug 17, 2009
Hamsterdam
Very good speech, but more because of him and less because of the topic IMO. He didn't really go in depth scientifically (which makes sense) and it was a lot about how the space program needs more funding.

Still it was awesome to see in person and I paid attention to every word he uttered.

Just wish it would've been one where he "bashes" religion, as those are my favourites of his.

Other forums are off-limits.

Should be noted Degrasse Tyson notably does not speak on religion nor does he claim to be atheist.

Not really true at all. I've seen a ton of his speeches where he talks about how religion is slowing civilization down.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I shouldn't touch that, but I will since I can't help myself. Tyson does not BELIEVE in how the universe was created. He doesn't have to. He has evidence and he builds the best idea about the creation of the universe based on the evidence. If you can find other evidence or re-interpret the evidence (logically and with reason) he will change his mind.

Does he believe in the Multiverse he was talking up on Cosmos the other night? Because there isn't any evidence for that... :)

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
It's cool how they incorporated each team's twitter feed.

What I don't like is that it's got one more step between me and the boxscore.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Does he believe in the Multiverse he was talking up on Cosmos the other night? Because there isn't any evidence for that... :)

Multiverse does not have much evidence (I am not a physicist or mathematician) but it is accepted by Stephen Hawking among many others. Lends me to think it has some backing to it when a bunch of the world's leading scientist accept it for now. It's a controversial scientific theory yes. When one is on the cutting edge of science yes there is going to controversy. However it is NOT a belief like you would say. He (and I) would state that it is best explanation we currently have. If evidence is presented to to discredit the idea no big deal move on to another. There's a difference in beliefs and accepting theories as the best explanations we currently have.

I was also referring "creation of the universe" where we have a SCIENTIFIC FACT in evolution and a strong theory with lots of scientific agreement in Big Bang.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
It is. It's not that the old car smelt bad, just that it wasn't quite as fresh as it once was.

So many possibilities. Where is the new car's first trip?

Yeah the old car wasn't the same after your drunk buddy sharted in it on the way home from the bar. I know, crude even for me.

JON BEST'S AT QX104 HOUSE :hyper::handclap::nod::):laugh::naughty::p::D

I don't know what this means but I am friends with Jon if you want his autograph :laugh:

Just to keep everyone up to date:

Jet is still gay.

Romang67 needs to stop trying so hard so that he'll actually get laid.

Carry on. :p:

I promised buggs never to reveal how he knows that. :sarcasm:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Ripped a hole in my pants at work today. In the crotch area. Luckily it's mostly hidden so it's been a success hiding it so far. Working in an office is a bonus because I'm sitting 90% of the time. An hour left and I can run away.

That's the last time I put decorations up on the roof because I'm tall. FYI don't be a hero and try to hoist yourself up onto a table when your pants have little to no give.

Free show! Come see HS bits!

PS are you Jack Tripper?

Also, you probably don't know who that is.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Well, obviously, but is there "vig", you know, terms, and why does one need to borrow a goat?

Plenty reasons:

Growing a goatee

training for the goat simulator

Singing to someone who broke up with you

Making a great Miley Cyrus impression

... the list would be way longer but let's keep it down on earth, shall we?

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Honestly, I think he just doesn't care. He is scientist through and through. That's what he is about. His vision is just amazing.

The very first line today was "The Sky is NOT the limit". And that's exactly it. There's so much more. Wish more people could see that.

One of the more interesting things he brought up was the Apollo Nostalgia. Nowadays everyong is looking back at the "golden age". But back then it was all about the "world of Tommorrow". It was the "House of Tommorrow", "City of Tommorrow", "Car of Tommorrow" which drove innovation, invention and industry. Now we just look back at "golden era" remembering the good old days. The Apollo and Space Program of the 60's compared to the dead space program (US cannot even get anybody into ORBIT anymore) was a HUGE reason for the difference in outlooks.

I would have LOVED to have been there yesterday. If I was still a student I might have camped out just to get in. Well, maybe not when "I" was a student, because I wasn't as smart as I am now (;)), but I should have....

Anyway, was there any indication that this lecture was recorded and will be posted anywhere?

Thanks.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
"Welcome to Winnipeg, we're famous for ... I don't know, can you think of something?"

and

"You gotta go to Newfoundland, there is no better place for sodomy in all Canada"

Just playing South Park Stick of Truth :laugh:

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
So, a random 68-year-old just came up to me at the gym and told me that if I didn't stop looking at my phone between sets, I would have a stroke and die. Then he gave me advice regarding what ladies want.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
So, a random 68-year-old just came up to me at the gym and told me that if I didn't stop looking at my phone between sets, I would have a stroke and die. Then he gave me advice regarding what ladies want.

You should listen to him..... You might like the 68 year old ladies :naughty:

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
I found out there's no longer a Stitch It at KP... but I improved and went into the Tip Top right beside. I picked up a pair of pants in the states last summer but one of the things I would never think to check when you're trying pants on is "ARE ALL THE BELT LOOPS THERE?" I was missing one at the back so wearing a belt looked ridiculous but they said they'll sew something on back there so should be all good.

Also, I wrote my (hopefully) last midterm ever today... Graduating in May :amazed:

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Don't worry Romang, I hear ya. My two most "successful" friends with the ladies have literally the worst standards ever.

I've actually got a first date with a lovely lady myself tonight. Hoping it goes well.

Although I already experienced the Lynk special today - took a shower and then about an hour later had to poop. Worse yet it was a total mud butt situation. Needless to say I was back in the shower pretty quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad