TV: HBO's The Night Of

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
Why would you give a **** about my personal investment in the show and get defensive because others don't think it's as good as you do? Again, doesn't make sense?

What, so are you now gonna tell me how I'm being "such a Sansa"?

Which is ****ing weird.

:laugh: No need.

Well people do it because they invested the time already. For me Season 2 of True Detective, I could care less what happened by the finale.

Typically they want to see if something makes it worth while for the time they invested.

It's like throwing good money after bad. It's just something I wouldn't do necessarily. For example, I gave Supergirl a shot for awhile in its first season. The episodes were so poor that I stopped watching it altogether. I invested a little time, had an attachment to the character, but it got so bad, that I cut my losses, and never watched it again. And for me, it's been something i've never regretted. I didn't watch half the season and then think to continue because I already watched nearly half of it. Since this is a one season show, it doesn't make sense to keep watching it if it's boring, or feels like it has major holes, or the continuity is irking, etc, etc. I don't understand why anyone would continue watching something that irks them so much. Seems like someone should watch things they get pleasure out of viewing. Again, just didn't make sense to me, but then i'm not a teevee masochist.

He should have, he stabbed her through the hand and then they were all over each other. Even if he didn't kill her that's going to bleed pretty good, especially while drinking.

Yeah, I agree with you here. There should have been more blood on Nas' clothes from the hand wound, especially as they were being so intimate with each other on the sofa, while fully clothed. Maybe an oversight by the showrunners?

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Why would you watch something to its conclusion if you don't have any sort of investment or attachment for or against it? Again, doesn't make sense.

It doesn't matter, and I would move away from that point of discussion immediately.

People can criticize and compliment a show at their leisure without their own motivations being called into question immediately. Especially a show that is trying to be intellectual in its story and organization.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
^ I'm not sure why we're spoilering guesses (which has happened multiple times in this thread), but good job uncovering it.

In any case, I'm leaning toward agreeing with the theory.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
So now we find out Nas was dealing prescription drugs - which could have been an easy defense was to why it was in his system if he had a prescription.

He also participated in a murder in prison. I still think he did it - Andrea set him off.

Don't like his attorney crossing the line either.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
So we're cool with the prosecution just accepting that "Duane Reade" exists simply because the defense mentioned him and called Trevor a liar?

And yeah, that kiss was very strange and out of place.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I don't know anymore.

Think the only 'satisfying' ending would be if Nas actually did it. I think it's the thing that people least expect and thus would be a good ending. There is so much shady **** going on, though. Between what's happening to Nas in jail, the lawyer kiss, Duane Reade, Box having his doubts...

A ton of red herrings. I hope we get an answer.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
The lawyer kissing thing was weird. Unless of course it's used against them in court for some weird reason.

The guy threatening Stone was strange.

Didn't like this episode as a whole

KesselBuiltMyHotrod

Aug 2, 2005
MA
So we're cool with the prosecution just accepting that "Duane Reade" exists simply because the defense mentioned him and called Trevor a liar?
I hope they have Bodie testify otherwise... yeah, dumb.

I wonder if the other evidence breaking the chain of custody will be brought up.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
They keep flashing back bits of Naz's memory from that night... Thinking the show will end of Naz's memory of actually killing her now.

I'm a bit conflicted because I still think the step-dad killed her or had her killed, as well.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
There are two endings to this show I think I'd like...

Nas is found not-guilty, but soon after, we find out that he actually did do it.

Nas is found guilty, but soon after, we find out that he didn't do it; and that Freddy was pulling strings behind the scenes to keep Nas inside. Series ends with Nas sort of... accepting his fate of being a true criminal behind bars.

Anything in between those two, well, I guess we'll have to see how they execute.

The scenes with Nas's mom last night were heartbreaking. Also, the review on AV club brought up a great point. How Chandra was using the inhaler as a ways to make Nas seem less violent, to paint a different picture. Right after, the inhaler is used as a distraction in a prison murder.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Admittedly, that episode had some major flaw in it. Liked it anyway, especially the scenes in the court. Apart from that Trevor part it was very well done.
And still not the opinion that Naz did it. They're just trying to draw the attention away to him.

And the lawyer kissing him: Of course it's stupid. But we're still talking about a young and not really experienced lawyer taking a high-profile case about a guy that comes from the same ethnic background + she starts to bring emotions into this. Her making that dumb mistake is just a human consequence of the aforementioned aspects. Sounds like people criticize the series for it, whereas I don't. As it was caught on camera it's coming back to her for sure.

Also, the review on AV club brought up a great point. How Chandra was using the inhaler as a ways to make Nas seem less violent, to paint a different picture. Right after, the inhaler is used as a distraction in a prison murder.

Yeah, really liked that stylistic device. Well done.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
The kiss was awful. I just don't buy it. Soured the whole episode for me. Immediately when it happened my wife and I are like, "Really"? "This has to be a dream, right?". Nope.

And yeah, without getting Bodie (wire) to testify about Daune Read, how does the prosecution let that go?

I feel like this show had raised the bar to a high level and now that's hurting it as they are making some dumb mistakes.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Still not getting why ppl consider stuff like that kiss a "dumb mistake" or "major flaw". That Trevor thing, fair enough. That bothers me also if Weiss won't refer back to it in the final. Not changing my high opinion of that series though. And don't know how that effing kiss may sour that whole episode for you either. If you can't enjoy the great scenes despite this, I feel sorry for you.

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
or........

Or that! :laugh:

Makes sense....poor kid.

Good episode last night.

The kiss didn't bother me at all. It happens. Sometimes lawyers, doctors, psychiatrists, etc, develop personal feelings for their clients/patients. No biggie. Glad she caught herself and walked out. Not sure how this could be used against Nas or her, as it's not material to the case.

I'm still of the mind that the step-dad did it. I think Box has his doubts and wants to end his career by making sure he didn't make a mistake with his last case and will try to look into other suspects. I think he'll see something in the cctv cameras, which will lead to the real killer, the step-dad, and possibly his fellow gym co-worker as his accomplice, but definitely the step-dad. Backdoor was unlocked as well. So that definitely shows that someone could have accessed the house, and we also now know, it's possible someone missed seeing Nas in the kitchen.

Chain of custody should play a vital role coming up. Particularly way back Nas's personal effects were taken by patrol officers, and not the crime scene guys, who were supposed to be the ones to take them. All that evidence ought to be thrown out.

I like Dr. Katz. He's a Bubbeleh. Although, I wonder what ever came of the blood he found in the backyard or the deer's head?

I still don't think the adderall is a big deal. It's common for college kids to take them and sell them to other college friends for help in studying. However, I lol'd at the burn the prosecutor gave to Nas's college friend about who was the better business man. Look on his face was priceless.

Can't think of anything else to mention about the case or the evidence.

Good episode.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com

The kiss didn't bother me at all. It happens. Sometimes lawyers, doctors, psychiatrists, etc, develop personal feelings for their clients/patients. No biggie. Glad she caught herself and walked out. Not sure how this could be used against Nas or her, as it's not material to the case.

They're just trying to show you every character is flawed somehow, however it felt forced.

I like Dr. Katz. He's a Bubbeleh. Although, I wonder what ever came of the blood he found in the backyard or the deer's head?

There were several questions the DA asked him that called for speculation, there should have been an objection.

I still don't think the adderall is a big deal. It's common for college kids to take them and sell them to other college friends for help in studying. However, I lol'd at the burn the prosecutor gave to Nas's college friend about who was the better business man. Look on his face was priceless.

It is a big deal, now he's considered a drug dealer which is a crime. Nas continues to withhold information from his attorneys, Chandra being caught off guard with the 2nd incident is another one.

Feel really bad for the parents here. It's one thing to take your parents car without permission, it's another thing when it's your source of income.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
It is a big deal, now he's considered a drug dealer which is a crime. Nas continues to withhold information from his attorneys, Chandra being caught off guard with the 2nd incident is another one.

Completely agree. It might not matter in the did he do it or did he not do it sense, but in the eyes of the jury, it makes a big difference. And while some people who've recently gone to college might not think Adderall is a big deal, a lot of older folks will here speed and think junkie.

I think this show has done a good job of focusing on how the justice system works, with all his flaws more so than the "who done it" aspects.

Last edited:

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
There were several questions the DA asked him that called for speculation, there should have been an objection.

She was asking his opinion, as a medical expert, which is allowed. What question specifically did you think could have raised an objection?

It is a big deal, now he's considered a drug dealer. Nas continues to withhold information from his attorneys, Chandra being caught off guard with the 2nd incident is another one.

Agree with you on Nas not telling Chandra about the 2nd incident. But, she could have played it better by tieing the second one into the first one, which I suspect she'll do when he takes the stand.

Also, I don't think it's that big of a deal, because a competent defense attorney can spin it as a good kid, who was trying to get an edge in his studies and taking a prescription drug to help him. The fact that he was selling it to other kids, was a stupid mistake by a young kid who wanted to make a little money on the side, as sometimes college kids do to make ends meet, or remove some of the financial burden that college puts on these kids.

That could/should make him seem a bit more symapthetic by the jury, than the 'drug-dealer' that the prosecutor was trying to paint him as.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad