Confirmed with Link: Hayes to Jets

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I am suffering from the Mark Stone hangover. A one-time chance to acquire a home-town star - a real difference maker. Instead, another consolation prize. Hayes does improve us, but Stone would have put us over the top.

Besides, if we don't have a health Josh Morrissey and a healthy Dustin Byfuglien in the playoffs, I won't be surprised if we don't make it past the first round. And if a Western rival does acquire Stone... I'm gonna puke.

Last year's Cup champs only acquired Michal Kempny, and Vegas paid a bunch of picks for a guy they scratched for most of the playoffs.

It's not always about star power, but the best fit.

jetsfan15

Jul 17, 2016
I'm never a big fan in giving up a 1st round pick, but I can't just say " 1st pick ... bad " when it might end up being a 25th overall to 31st overall.

And given who we might have to let go to make cap space for next season, we might be able to get a better 1st round pick back.

For me, it’s not the 1st round pick that bothers me. I actually think Hayes is worth that as a rental. What bothers me is giving up Lemieux.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
You guys are going to LOVE Hayes. He's going to add a lot for your offense. He loves to hold onto the puck in the offensive zone and wait for a player to get open, dynamic playmaker, but can score goals too. Also plays a fantastic 2 way game.
Here's hoping he works great with Laine, sounds like he will. I know last game vs Rangers he looked pretty good.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Last year's Cup champs only acquired Michal Kempny, and Vegas paid a bunch of picks for a guy they scratched for most of the playoffs.

It's not always about star power, but the best fit.
Jets clearly wanted Stone first, so by definition this is a consolation prize. An again, if Morrissey is out or not at 100 per cent for the playoffs, we're cooked. Unless Chevy isn't done dealing today... and that is a possibility. I suppose Hayes PLUS Simmonds could make me forget about not getting Stone (like that's gonna happen... besides, we need defensive help now).

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Here's hoping he works great with Laine, sounds like he will. I know last game vs Rangers he looked pretty good.
Little has been playing very well the past month or so, but that hasn't helped Laine. I've said this before, another centre will not be the silver bullet to help Laine. Only Laine can help Laine.

Reactions: RedBar

Yutronkov

Apr 7, 2018
Ottawa Valley
Pissed the Jet's didn't go after Stone. He would have been the perfect piece. I'd rather have given up Roslovic or one of our other top prospects. Hayes won't do much IMO. He's solid, but not a game breaker. There's a damn good chance Nashville, or perhaps Calgary get Stone now. Sad day for the Jets.

Reactions: DannyGallivan

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Don't really consider Hayes to be a consolation prize either because the Stone ask was obviously too much of an ask, and the Jets weren't giving up 2 1sts and 2 "A" prospects to get him.

Reactions: GNP and Jack722

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Jets clearly wanted Stone first, so by definition this is a consolation prize. An again, if Morrissey is out or not at 100 per cent for the playoffs, we're cooked. Unless Chevy isn't done dealing today... and that is a possibility. I suppose Hayes PLUS Simmonds could make me forget about not getting Stone (like that's gonna happen... besides, we need defensive help now).

We have no idea about Morrisey. Twitter was in arms about Jeff Skinner being injured long term on Saturday and he came back after the intermission.

They didn't want to pay the price for Stone. Hayes might not have been the first choice but the deadline isn't over. A Benz is a consolation price to a Bentley for me, too.

This place sometimes. Don't give up too many prospects for Stone, Chevy gives up a borderline 4th liner, people don't like that. Complaining for the sake of it.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
Pissed the Jet's didn't go after Stone. He would have been the perfect piece. I'd rather have given up Roslovic or one of our other top prospects. Hayes won't do much IMO. He's solid, but not a game breaker. There's a damn good chance Nashville, or perhaps Calgary get Stone now. Sad day for the Jets.
Jets don't need a game breaker though. I mean I would have loved Stone but obviously the asking price was sky high.
Scheif
Wheeler
Laine
Ehlers
Hayes
Connor
Roslovic
Little
We'll be okay.

Conflicted Habs fan

"Beauty will save the world" - Dostoyevsky
Nov 23, 2011
Montreal
He's a big guy, similar to Lowry's style of play but he scores frequently on the rebound. He reminds me of Paul Maclean who usually scores about 40 goals by tapping in the rebounds from Hawerchuk.

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Don't really consider Hayes to be a consolation prize either because the Stone ask was obviously too much of an ask, and the Jets weren't giving up 2 1sts and 2 "A" prospects to get him.
Well, we'll see if and where Stone ends up to decide that. I think that Chevy blinked and didn't want 2:00 pm to role around without getting anything.

Reactions: Flair Hay

Cypruss

Stand up for your beliefs.
Oct 18, 2018
LaSalle, Manitoba
I'm content giving up a 1st and Lemmy for a solid middle of the Ice gain for a deep playoff run. I think we need a top 5 type defense now to hold us over until Buff and Morrisey are back - then replace Benny in the line-up for the playoffs. Niku and Chariot as injury replacements for the playoffs is a pretty solid proposition.

Reactions: Jack722

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Jets don't need a game breaker though. I mean I would have loved Stone but obviously the asking price was sky high.
Scheif
Wheeler
Laine
Ehlers
Hayes
Connor
Roslovic
Little
We'll be okay.
If we were winning this month, I wouldn't be so concerned. We need to dominate in March... not for the sake of the standings, but for the sake of momentum.

Reactions: kylbaz

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
If we were winning this month, I wouldn't be so concerned. We need to dominate in March... not for the sake of the standings, but for the sake of momentum.

I think these last two games (despite the loss last night) showed they are coming around. I mean we had a top PP in the league and didn't score in like 20+ chances. That's out of the norm, as was the overall play. I'm not worried. As I posted in the Jets board, the talent is there, this team is better than last years team, so there shouldn't be any worry

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
The aversion in this community to giving up a first round pick is so strange to me.

We finally have a team worth adding to and the #whatdidchevydotoday can die.

Hayes is an excellent piece and an excellent add. Thrilled about this.

Less concern over a pick that probably won't see meaningful NHL time for another 3 or 4 years if at all seems appropriate.

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I'd give up Roslovic and a first rounder (and Brendan) in a heart beat for Stone - provided (and this is key) that we were more than confident about signing him long term.

Alas, I get the impression that Ottawa would be just as happy to risk losing Stone for nothing in the off-season if they can't hit a home-run with him at the trade deadline. I'm just concerned that the Sens will settle for something the Jets definitely could afford if a deal still isn't done for Stone by the early afternoon.

It's kinda like someone winning the lottery, but finding out they won 100 grand instead of 1 million. It's still pretty good, but you know... the law of expectations.

Reactions: angrymnky

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I like this trade. I did not want to give up the farm to get Stone. I think many people got a bit caught up in the "hometown boy come home" stuff but it didn't sound like he wanted to play in Winnipeg anyways.

I'm surprised at the amount of hand wringing over Lemieux. I liked him but he is a pretty replaceable player.

GloryDays

Feb 15, 2019
Lemieux and a first seems pricy for a rental (more than likely with over $ 5 mil cap hit this year), but if he gets you to the promised land...

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I like this trade. I did not want to give up the farm to get Stone. I think many people got a bit caught up in the "hometown boy come home" stuff but it didn't sound like he wanted to play in Winnipeg anyways.
I never saw any reason to believe that. I think if was obvious that Ottawa didn't want to lose him for anything other than something massive. They may end up losing him for nothing... Winnipeg may have been their best shot and getting anything for him.

Reactions: FinJetster

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad