Has Connor Bedard quietly became underrated ?

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
He is generational. His junior numbers were generational. He was a PPG last year on the worst team in hockey.

The only ppl who are saying he's not , are Oilers and Jack Hugh's fans. Saying he's not generational is like saying Crosby wasn't in 2006 or Mcd wasn't in 2015.
Cliff Ronning had "generational" junior numbers.

His career will end up no where near Crosby or McDavid. He should be an elite player, but not "generational". I just don't think he has the build for it.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Probably not. No one is expecting anything out of the Blackhawks this season, so there isn't much discussion about him. But I don't know if anyone would be surprised if he's really good this season.

Avsavsavsavsavs

Nov 30, 2017
Connor Bedard was hyped at the retail level in his daft year. And was compared to Mcdavid or Crosby. But as his first year came and went , the hardcore fans and analysts were not as onboard with it anymore.

Something changed. We even have some fans trying to upsell Jack Hughs and Logan Cooley on him.

Now it's not considered serious to compare him to Mcdavid or Crosby. Why is this ?

Try thinking before you speak sweetie.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
We’ll see about him at center. I really don’t think it matters if he plays C or not. He will drive the game and I think the idea that guys that don’t play C somehow failed is crazy. Seems pretty Canadian driven that the best players all have to be at C. Isn’t that way in Europe or Russia.

He also out scored Jack Hughes first two seasons in his first season, in like half the games. So being “lucky” to be better than Jack Hughes seems like an awfully shallow prediction at this stage.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
He’s gonna be great but i have no idea how a small guy without elite skating is supposed to be generational. It’s not gonna happen.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
He is generational. His junior numbers were generational. He was a PPG last year on the worst team in hockey.

The only ppl who are saying he's not , are Oilers and Jack Hugh's fans. Saying he's not generational is like saying Crosby wasn't in 2006 or Mcd wasn't in 2015.

He was not PPG and the Blackhawks were not the worst team in hockey last season. You bit on the hype, he was never a McDavid or Crosby tier prospect.

Reactions: vtdevils2k

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
hes gonna be fine just needs a 2nd guy there like crosby and ovechkin and mcdavid each had from young. not sure i see it in the 2025 draft though.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
hes gonna be fine just needs a 2nd guy there like crosby and ovechkin and mcdavid each had from young

I agree that he will be fine. I think he will be a great player, but its a stretch to think he'll have the same career as a Crosby, McDavid or Ovechkin. He's a tier below those players, IMO. Since we're talking a Blackhawk, I'm thinking more like a Patrick Kane 2.0, maybe slightly better.

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
I agree that he will be fine. I think he will be a great player, but its a stretch to think he'll have the same career as a Crosby, McDavid or Ovechkin. He's a tier below those players, IMO. Since we're talking a Blackhawk, I'm thinking more like a Patrick Kane 2.0, maybe slightly better.
better then kane i would say maybe a malkin and leon in there primes is his future potential i think in terms of numbers and talent.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
Cliff Ronning had "generational" junior numbers.

His career will end up no where near Crosby or McDavid. He should be an elite player, but not "generational". I just don't think he has the build for it.
Anyway thanks for your receipts. 🍿

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
better then kane i would say maybe a malkin and leon in there primes is his future potential i think in terms of numbers and talent.

Malkin and Draisaitl are both bigger bodies than can affect the game more than just their scoring (Malkin probably more so). Bedard and Kane have similar size and builds, that's why I used him as a comparison. Bedard has a chance to add a little more scoring than Kane, but I think it will be close.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
Malkin and Draisaitl are both big bodies than can affect the game more than just their scoring (Malkin probably more so). Bedard and Kane have similar size and builds, that's why I used him as a comparison. Bedard has a chance to add a little more scoring than Kane, but I think it will be close.
Bedard tracks to be the same size as Crosby. And has trees for legs right now. It's surprising that ppl don't know this

Screenshot-20241009-083912-Samsung-Internet.jpg

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
He’s gonna be great but i have no idea how a small guy without elite skating is supposed to be generational. It’s not gonna happen.
Nikita kucherov 2017 -2024 has been a generational player when factoring regular and playoffs

Hes the 2nd best player in league from 2017 to today after 97

Kucherov has a generational prime I guess as his first 6 years 2011-2016 he wasnt generational of course

Will be hard for bedard to be a generational player but if he becomes a bit better kucherov startig as a 19 year old thats an OV/Jagr level player all time and top 10-15 ever

His ceiling is extremely high still, but likely not Mcdavid or Crosby level as was expected.

He should end up a matthews/pastranak level player at minimum or hes a complete disapointment based on his draft hype

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
Malkin and Draisaitl are both bigger bodies than can affect the game more than just their scoring (Malkin probably more so). Bedard and Kane have similar size and builds, that's why I used him as a comparison. Bedard has a chance to add a little more scoring than Kane, but I think it will be close.
so you dont think at one point bedard will be the best player in the league? i know mcdavid and few others but i talking by time bedard is 25-27

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
so you dont think at one point bedard will be the best player in the league? i know mcdavid and few others but i talking by time bedard is 25-27

He might be....but just being the best player in the league at a given point in time doesn't automatically equate to being a "generational" talent...unless we are diminishing what the term "generational" means.

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
I'm still confused about 'hyped at the retail level.' Does that just mean there was an effort to sell his merchandise?
I'm glad someone else asked as that is the first thing I was trying to figure out....I've never seen that phrase before.....and it was doubled down, so obviously not a slip. Can someone explain what this means?

My assumption is that "retail level" means out in the general public beyond actual hockey guys. If that's the case, he certainly was not hyped at that level. But again....is this saying even a thing? Am I that out of touch?

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
He might be....but just being the best player in the league at a given point in time doesn't automatically equate to being a "generational" talent...unless we are diminishing what the term "generational" means.
eh if he can become the best player in league in a 3-5 year window I would think thats close enough again that chicago team is awful atm

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad