Has Connor Bedard quietly became underrated ?

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
People are being hard on him because he didn't dominate like some people were expecting, but they're forgetting his has an awful team around him. Like next level bad. At least McDavid had young Taylor Hall, Draisaitl, Eberle, and Nugent-Hopkins to provide him with some good scoring support when he arrived in Edmonton. Matthews had Marner, Kadri, and Nylander. Who does Bedard have? Tyler Bertuzzi? Are you kidding me?

Get another star forward on the Blackhawks and Bedard will start looking much better.

CallMeShaft

34 Counts
Apr 14, 2014
Bedard was never expected to be on the level of Sid or McDavid, he was hyped up as the next best thing, however.

He's essentially Kaner with AM34's shot and playing at center.

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
At the height of the Hawks injuries , it was arguably the worst lineup in the cap era. But either way , you are kinda proving the point. It is not fashionable to be high on Bedard.
I’m not proving any point. He’s a great talent. He still needs to produce more than a -44 even if he’s the only NHLer on his line. That’s part of proving himself.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
IMHO Bedard will struggle offensively until the Hawks get some guys for him to play with. That’s a bad team with very little skill.
Absolutely. Every elite scorer has a star to play with. McDavid has Draisaitl. MacKinnon has Rantanen. Matthews has Marner. Kucherov and Point.

You can't expect production like those guys when the duo is Bedard and Teravainen or Bedard and Bertuzzi.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Connor Bedard was hyped at the retail level in his daft year. And was compared to Mcdavid or Crosby. But as his first year came and went , the hardcore fans and analysts were not as onboard with it anymore.

Something changed. We even have some fans trying to upsell Jack Hughs and Logan Cooley on him.

Now it's not considered serious to compare him to Mcdavid or Crosby. Why is this ?
You were the one saying he was better than McDavid. That's what happens when you stat watch junior hockey.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
TSN/Sportsnet going berserk with the hype was never a surprise, but it wasn’t fair to the kid. He’s not and never will be the McCrosby tier.
He had more PPG than Mcdavid in junior in club and international play. So I'm not sure why you are so confident in knowing what he'll be.

He also had a historically terrible team in junior. Which Mcd did not

Reactions: nbwingsfan

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
He had more PPG than Mcdavid in junior in club and international play. So I'm not sure why you are so confident in knowing what he'll be.

He also had a historically terrible team in junior. Which Mcd did not
Bedard has an historically terrible team right now too.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Connor Bedard was hyped at the retail level in his daft year. And was compared to Mcdavid or Crosby. But as his first year came and went , the hardcore fans and analysts were not as onboard with it anymore.

Something changed. We even have some fans trying to upsell Jack Hughs and Logan Cooley on him.

Now it's not considered serious to compare him to Mcdavid or Crosby. Why is this ?
Only by people who don’t understand hockey

He’ll be competing for best player in the NHL for a long time

I don't understand how he's underrated. He seems to be considered a very talented young player with a lot of untapped potential. It's not like people are calling him the new Daigle. If he follows in the footsteps of Crosby and McDavid by winning the Ross and Hart this season, he'll definitely get the kind of hype they did after vaulting themselves to that highest echelon.
It doesn’t matter if he’s prime McDavid, he’s not winning the Hart or Art Ross on that Hawks team

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Lost Wages, Nevada
IMHO, we're not going to know how much of a force he will be until he has aged a few years and put on some more weight. Certainly has the potential, but now too many players are able to shove him down with one hand. Also, whether Chicago can fill out the rest of the roster with talent.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
IMHO, we're not going to know how much of a force he will be until he has aged a few years and put on some more weight. Certainly has the potential, but now too many players are able to shove him down with one hand. Also, whether Chicago can fill out the rest of the roster with talent.
It’s definitely still noticeable this year how other players dominate him along the boards. It’s something he has to work on. He needs to be smarter with his stick. Learn to check more effectively.

Reactions: VivaLasVegas

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
I’ve posted this before but his rookie season is hard to judge. His stats were good but his team was trash. That can go both ways: he did a lot with little, or he was the only offensive option so he was a souped up “bad team scorer”

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
How can you be underrated when you're supposed to be a #1C but your defensive game is downright abysmal? Serious question.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad