Has Anyone Not Named Gretzky, Lemieux or Orr ever dominated a year like Sakic?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Add to the fact that he was a winger, and it is even more amazing how great defensively he was.

Too bad he had so serious injury problems.

Lehtinen had one ability that made him as great as he was. He basically never made the wrong play. You could count the mistakes he made in one season by one hand fingers.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Lafleur in 76-77:

Pearson
Hart
Art Ross
Conn Smythe
2nd in goals
3rd in voting of Lady Byng
1st in playoff scoring

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If we're removing Gretzky and Lemieux from the equation, Steve Yzerman's 88/89 season would have been among the most dominant in history. Even with Gretzky and Lemieux in their primes, he picked up the Pearson award.

155 points, the most ever scored by anyone other than Gretzky or Lemieux. Bernie Nicholas, who we can safely assume was a product of Gretzky that year, had 150. The next highest was 115, and after that, 113 (both teammates of Lemieux). So, if Gretzky or Lemieux had never been born, that would have been a season for the record books by Yzerman.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Lemieux came back and that help jagr get the art ross. If lemieux does not come back then Sakic finishes first imo.

Does that really matter? Do you remember the stacked team that Sakic played on? It's not like he was playing with Jan Hrdina and Kip Miller.

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
Jagr and Pronger in 1999-00 both had a better year than Sakic in 2000-01. Sakic was unreal, though.

Ogopogo*

Gordie Howe dominated the early 50s far more than Sakic did 2001. Sakic didn't even win the scoring title that year....

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I'd say Doug gilmours first 3 seasons in Toronto rank up there.

He was great, especially 92-93 when he won the Selke and was runner up for Hart. I'm assuming you are counting the season he joined Toronto and not three first full seasons. Since the lockout season was a bit of a "disappointment" from him.

But he was not in all-star team in any of those seasons.

Amen evil king

Apr 11, 2004
Malkin in 08-09? Art ross, conn smythe, Stanley Cup. 113 point regular season, 36 point postseason(most by any forward not named Gretzky or Lemieux).

One oft-forgotten element of that incredible season was that he also lead the league in takeaways in both the regular season AND playoffs too:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats....ASALL&sort=takeaways&viewName=rtssPlayerStats

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats....ASALL&sort=takeaways&viewName=rtssPlayerStats

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
When you are an NHL player, your peers are other NHL players.

Yup. Not to mention that Selanne was already a full grown pro. He just had no NHL experience. But he played in the FEL for few years and at that time, it was highly competitive league.

Selanne is easily my favorite player ever. But his rookie season gets overrated often. It was technically a rookie season. But he was not in the same situation as most rookies are. He was 22 years old millionaire with a lot of experience on pro hockey.

I've always found it stupid that Gretzky does not own the rookie point record. Somehow Gretzky playing one season in the WHA disallows his status as a rookie, but Selanne playing int the FEL has no effect. It was a childish antic by the NHL towards Gretzky and the WHA.

Hall of Fame player for sure.

Last edited:

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
I was participating in a few discussions and noticed how dominant Sakic was in 2000-2001.

Those are just the base stats (i.e not including GPG, PPG, point shares, goals created etc).

This isnt a Sakic appreciation thread by any means. Im just wondering if anyone not named Gretzky, Lemieux or Orr dominated that much in a season. Its a lot easier than researching for hours on end.

He had a great season that year but if you don't win the Art Ross well...

Peter Forsberg 2002-03 season he won the Art Ross and Hart Trophies and was 4th in Selke voting.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
How has no one named Sergei Fedorov yet?

His 93-94 season was one of the most dominant seasons of all time.

Hart Memorial Trophy (MVP) (first Euro to win the Hart)
Lester B. Pearson Award
Frank J. Selke Trophy
2nd in points (behind Wayne Gretzky)
2nd in goals (behind Pavel Bure)

15 posts to find the correct answer.

FRUSTRATEDPENFAN*

If we're removing Gretzky and Lemieux from the equation, Steve Yzerman's 88/89 season would have been among the most dominant in history. Even with Gretzky and Lemieux in their primes, he picked up the Pearson award.

155 points, the most ever scored by anyone other than Gretzky or Lemieux. Bernie Nicholas, who we can safely assume was a product of Gretzky that year, had 150. The next highest was 115, and after that, 113 (both teammates of Lemieux). So, if Gretzky or Lemieux had never been born, that would have been a season for the record books by Yzerman.

Yes and that's the season I stop caring about the Hart Trophy winner and L.B Pearson Which is now the Lindsay because I realized the voting was nothing but a popularity contest Lemieux had 85 goals 114 assists 199 points but some how it wasn't good enough to win either award laughable

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Yes and that's the season I stop caring about the Hart Trophy winner and L.B Pearson Which is now the Lindsay because I realized the voting was nothing but a popularity contest Lemieux had 85 goals 114 assists 199 points but some how it wasn't good enough to win either award laughable

That season? How convenient. You were not bothered at all when Gretzky lost the Pearson to Lemieux who scored 141 points, two points more than defenseman Coffey. All the while when Gretzky set a record for points (215) and assists (163). Yeah, of course not. You deem it perfectly justifiable cause it was Pens player who won the award unfairly.

BTW, Gretzky winning the Hart over Lemieux 199 is somewhat justifiable. He did make the Kings a contender in one season. Yzerman should have not won the Pearson over Lemieux though.

But it is ridiculous that you act like that season was the only time when awards went to "wrong" guy. How about Orr's career?

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013

Agreed

jhglassman

Jan 13, 2015
I have no idea how useful this stat is, but, by in terms of single season point shares, Sakic's season ranks 51st all time. Most of the top 50 seasons are by goaltenders, so removing goalies, Lemieux, Gretzky and Orr gives us only the following seasons as higher ranking:

Phil Esposito 70-71, 73-74
Alex Ovechkin 2007-08
Jaromir Jagr 95-96
Larry Robinson 96-97
Paul Coffey 85-86

And that's it.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
Its funny because transplant that season to now and Sakic wins the Selke easily. These days if you don't play top 6 on your team you can't win the Selke, I miss back then when your third liners like Madden and Lehtinen won the award they deserved and it wasn't party a popularity contest.
lehtinen was a 1st line player. :help:

modano and lehtinen checked top lines. modano was a finalist once. fyodorov checked top lines and won 2. gilmour checked top lines and won in '93.

lots of teams now use their top F's to check top lines. it was not as common before.

imo, it is also smarter to use scoring lines against scoring lines, b/c possession contributes a lot to defense. grinders are usually not as good at keeping possession.

i don't remember, but i don't think sakic was used like that in '01. i think stephane yelle checked other teams' top lines.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

I don't disagree at all. Lemieux dominated that year. But Lemieux and Gretzky were so far ahead of every F who's ever played the game that sometimes they can overshadow other, lesser greatness. That year, if you remove the influence of arguably the two greatest players who've ever lived, Yzerman scored 30% more than anyone in the league. Which is a season that, at least offensively, can be put up against seasons by any forwards not named Lemieux or Gretzky.

FRUSTRATEDPENFAN*

That season? How convenient. You were not bothered at all when Gretzky lost the Pearson to Lemieux who scored 141 points, two points more than defenseman Coffey. All the while when Gretzky set a record for points (215) and assists (163). Yeah, of course not. You deem it perfectly justifiable cause it was Pens player who won the award unfairly.

BTW, Gretzky winning the Hart over Lemieux 199 is somewhat justifiable. He did make the Kings a contender in one season. Yzerman should have not won the Pearson over Lemieux though.

But it is ridiculous that you act like that season was the only time when awards went to "wrong" guy. How about Orr's career?

What does Gretzky 215 point season have to do with Lemieux he won his first in 1988 had 70 goals 98 assists 168 points was a plus 23 he deserved to win compare the players they played with you will ignore that fact though Gretzky that year had 40 goals 109 assists 149 points Lemieux was the deserving Hart Trophy winner

Last edited by a moderator:

FRUSTRATEDPENFAN*

Truth is they can give the awards to you or myself and I wouldn't be surprised if they want and they just might seeing how stupid the media seems to be when it time to vote

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad