Value of: Hartnell to Leafs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
So I think we can all agree that at some point between now and the expansion draft Scott Hartnell is on the way out and while some might disagree I think Toronto would be a good fit.

We have a of young team and I think he would be a good fit as productive vet scorer that this team could use

I worked it out and I think we can protect him too since Mathews Marnerand Nylander are all exempt from the upcoming expansion draft

To me if we added Hartnell our protection list looks like this

Rielly
Gardiner
Kadri
JVR
Hartnell
Komarov
Andersen
C Carrick

I think this is Bozak last seasons in Toronto I think he gets exposed either way and I can't see him not getting claimed because he is the perfect 3rd line guy.

I think this is Marincin is bound to get exposed to because you aren't going to protect him over Rielly and Gardiner and after what Connor arrack showed at the AHL level, unless he shows absolutely zero ability at the NHL level you need to protect him which leaves MM out and at his cap hit I can't see Vegas not claiming him.

So ya there is a spot there on our protection list for Hartnell if he is willing to come to Toronto.

I think even T his age he would be a major upgrade to our top 6 and the perfect mentor for the young players in Mathews Marner and Nylander.

Some might want to see us bring in another top 4 d man and I don't disagree but I think a top 6 winger is another need that needs to be filled within the next year as well

So assuming he's willing to waive to come to Toronto what's the price for Scott Hartnell?

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Older vets are either left overs, salary dumps or 1-2 temps. Hartnell doesn't fit that criteria.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
I honestly don't see a deal here. Columbus needs those same qualities. Hartnell is a 20g 50pt player who is still a top 6 forward. His leadership and mentoring ability is what Columbus needs for their corp of young forwards.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I honestly don't see a deal here. Columbus needs those same qualities. Hartnell is a 20g 50pt player who is still a top 6 forward. His leadership and mentoring ability is what Columbus needs for their corp of young forwards.

With the exspansion draft coming I fully expect Hartnell to be moved before this season is up.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
We don't need to trade assets for a 30+ vet who can't skate but has a scoring touch, brings some grit and gets paid 5 plus million (trading on past glory when we know father time is usually a harsh taskmaster). This would be your typical Burke/Nonis/Fletcher/any previous regieme move. It's not necessary.

We need our kids to get playing time, we nned to see what we truly have with them, we need to keep all the assets we can unless we trade for a top 4 RHD, we need vets in their mid twenties.

Sorry see this move as a step backwards and would rather just protect 8 if Marincin has a great year.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
With the exspansion draft coming I fully expect Hartnell to be moved before this season is up.

Why? Each team will lose exactly one player in the draft. As you point out, Hartnell is still valuable. Trading him away doesn't mean Columbus saves a player. Worst case is Columbus loses a goalie like Korpisalo or a forward like Atkinson. If they lose Atkinson, Bjorkstrand is ready to take his slot. If Hartnell is traded who replaces his production this year? Who replaces his leadership?

Only foolish GMs are going to dump good assets because they will lose one player in the draft.

Are you willing to pay the price for a 50 point top 6 forward and fill a need for Columbus? No need for defensemen, no need for wings unless they bring Hartnell-like production. There is a line of young forwards waiting to get a shot. Columbus does need a #1 C but not #2-4 Cs. The goalie pipeline is full with Korpisalo, Forsberg and Merlikins looking to move up.

How do you make a deal that's good for BOTH teams?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
So I think we can all agree that at some point between now and the expansion draft Scott Hartnell is on the way out

I don't think we all agree. Most Jackets fans (myself included) don't want to lose him. The expansion draft issue might be moot, because

1) He waives,

OR

2) There is little value difference between the player Vegas would take if Hartnell is protected, and who Vegas would take if Hartnell isn't protected. (Indifference between picks is a big reason why expansion draft panic threads are unjustified).

If neither of those things is the case, the Jackets and Leafs can talk. Someone between Toronto's 10th and 20th best prospect would get the deal done (yes I know, those are good players).

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
We don't need to trade assets for a 30+ vet who can't skate but has a scoring touch, brings some grit and gets paid 5 plus million (trading on past glory when we know father time is usually a harsh taskmaster). This would be your typical Burke/Nonis/Fletcher/any previous regieme move. It's not necessary.

We need our kids to get playing time, we nned to see what we truly have with them, we need to keep all the assets we can unless we trade for a top 4 RHD, we need vets in their mid twenties.

Sorry see this move as a step backwards and would rather just protect 8 if Marincin has a great year.

I don't see Marincin being protected either way.

I expect us to bring in either a top 6 forward OR a top 4 D this season either one leaves Marincin unprotected

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Why? Each team will lose exactly one player in the draft. As you point out, Hartnell is still valuable. Trading him away doesn't mean Columbus saves a player. Worst case is Columbus loses a goalie like Korpisalo or a forward like Atkinson. If they lose Atkinson, Bjorkstrand is ready to take his slot. If Hartnell is traded who replaces his production this year? Who replaces his leadership?

Only foolish GMs are going to dump good assets because they will lose one player in the draft.

Well said. I wish people could understand this concept. Expansion protection issues are not about losing a player, they're about losing the difference between two players, which might be miniscule.

Are you willing to pay the price for a 50 point top 6 forward and fill a need for Columbus? No need for defensemen, no need for wings unless they bring Hartnell-like production. There is a line of young forwards waiting to get a shot. Columbus does need a #1 C but not #2-4 Cs. The goalie pipeline is full with Korpisalo, Forsberg and Merlikins looking to move up.

How do you make a deal that's good for BOTH teams?

Like you said, there's a line of young forwards. If we have enough guys scoring 40-50 pts a year, I probably wouldn't mind sending Hartnell away for a prospect (next summer).

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I don't think we all agree. Most Jackets fans (myself included) don't want to lose him. The expansion draft issue might be moot, because

1) He waives,

OR

2) There is little value difference between the player Vegas would take if Hartnell is protected, and who Vegas would take if Hartnell isn't protected. (Indifference between picks is a big reason why expansion draft panic threads are unjustified).

If neither of those things is the case, the Jackets and Leafs can talk. Someone between Toronto's 10th and 20th best prospect would get the deal done (yes I know, those are good players).

I would easily give up a prospect ranked between 10-20

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto

I agree.

The Leafs already have more than enough aging vets taking up roster spots that will soon be needed for a developing young player: Lupul (if and when healthy), Michalek, Laich, Greening. They surely don't need another because it goes in the wrong direction.

The OP must have missed the email.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Another great trade suggestion by a Leaf fan. Sigh.

The Leafs are REBUILDING. They are in NO position to be trading away valuable assets, for older veterans. A guy like Hartnell would cost a very good prospect or a high pick or two.

Therefore it would be DUMB of the Leafs to do it.

Please stop it, Leaf fans.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Another great trade suggestion by a Leaf fan. Sigh.

The Leafs are REBUILDING. They are in NO position to be trading away valuable assets, for older veterans. A guy like Hartnell would cost a very good prospect or a high pick or two.

Therefore it would be DUMB of the Leafs to do it.

Please stop it, Leaf fans.

They just traded for a 27 year old goalie, uncle Lou wants to make a run at the playoffs.

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
Leafs have no interest in Hartnell - Lou wants younger and more skilled; Babcock wants more dedicated and faster.

Hartnell is neither, young, fast or dedicated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad