Proposal: Hansen for Sheary, Fehr, and a 2nd

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I hate the "it will take an overpayment" argument I see on this site. For every thread in this forum, I go with "what would a trade involving this player look like", not "what would it take for the HF fans to say yes to trading him". Just saying "it will take an overpayment" is just giving a free card to ask for whatever stupid and baseless payment that you want. I don't really view that as productive discussion.

If Hansen is going to Pittsburgh, there's simply no way that Sprong or Pouliot would be included. Even if Vancouver would use the "we want an overpayment" line, Pittsburgh would just laugh at that offer and say no.

Hi-wayman

Feb 28, 2002
Surrey
Visit site
I hate the "it will take an overpayment" argument I see on this site. For every thread in this forum, I go with "what would a trade involving this player look like", not "what would it take for the HF fans to say yes to trading him". Just saying "it will take an overpayment" is just giving a free card to ask for whatever stupid and baseless payment that you want. I don't really view that as productive discussion.

If Hansen is going to Pittsburgh, there's simply no way that Sprong or Pouliot would be included. Even if Vancouver would use the "we want an overpayment" line, Pittsburgh would just laugh at that offer and say no.

I agree with you about the overpayment claims. In reality trades are not based on scales allotted to a players so called trade value. Trades are made by 2 GM's individually deciding that what any player exchange improves the team compared to what the team is giving up. Each GM really could care less what the other team gets to improve, but improvements are based on the team as a whole & what that GM's team plan is. It is not usually solely based on comparing one player over another.

You asked what a Canuck fan believes would cause Benning to trade Hansen. Initially I got the impression you thought all it would take is to offer a couple of experienced players whom your team could get along without and who may help the Canucks get into the playoffs. Benning & every other GM wants to make the playoff. That is a GM's job. It is only a small minority of Canuck fans want the Canucks to tank purposely and when have you ever known a professional player or GM want to loss so that the team can draft a better player to replace the player tanking?

Fehr and Sheary are players you feel your team can do without but no thought of where those players would fit on the Canucks. No thought of how those players would improve the Canucks past this season. The Canucks are pretty much set with their roster now so any trade involving a key player like Hansen would mainly have to address their prospect depth and/or their defense depth. Cameron Gaunch is no where as talented as Sheary or Fehr, but his style of play and the fact he is a defenceman fits the Canucks needs much better than Fehr or Sheary. The rest of any trade involving Hansen would have to seriously address Canuck prospect depth.

The point to also consider is the Canucks are quite happy with their roster. If Sprong or similar isn't made available then the Canucks are happy with no trade. Alternately the two teams could discuss a trade only involving Gaunch coming to the Canucks for ??? Benning commented that he is starting to believe the Canucks may need as many as 14 to 15 defensemen this season due to injuries, The Pacific Division is rough on players.

Last edited:

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

The thing is, in many cases (including this one), it's really just a way of defusing cruddy, unrealistic low-ball offers. While also reflecting the importance of the particular player to the team he is currently on.

It's not about "overpayment" per se, it's more about a player who is really important to the Canucks who they really aren't looking to move at this point in time, and basically saying, "don't make lowball offers and expect agreement".

It's about a price that would entice the Canucks to move a valuable, productive roster player from a team with playoff aspirations. If you don't like that price, tough cookies. The Canucks aren't itching to move Hansen right now...it'd take something that blows the socks off them (and offsets the significant hit to their playoff hopes) to make a deal. That's what a deal for this player would look like.

It's like cruising down the street and seeing a meticulously restored perfect condition classic car. You can roll up and offer the owner "market value" for the car, but they're well within their rights deciding to just keep it, and telling you they're not interested in your offer. If you start waving around "overpayment" cash, maybe that gets them interested in selling...or maybe not. But that's what it takes to buy something that someone isn't really interested in selling.

The NHL isn't an auction...often times teams are plenty happy to just keep their good players. That's really the situation with Hansen right now.

If there isn't a 1st round pick to be involved, there probably isn't a deal to be made. :dunno: Even Sprong and Pouliot aren't the type of players the Canucks are trying to build around...i doubt there'd be a deal to be had there even if the Penguins were to make them available.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Quite honestly, I think Hansen would fit in perfectly with Pittsburgh style of play. I'm not too sure if people around here have actually watched Hansen enough, but his speed would work wonders with the Penguins lineup.

Hansen will do anything you tell him too. Play in the top six? Okay. Play on the third line? Okay. You'll get the same player every game regardless of where he is placed. His defensive game is very solid, and he knows where to go in the offensive zone. Hell of a worker.

I think he could potentially get more at the deadline since he is on a very good contract for the tangibles he brings. Not sure what Sheary's potential is capped at, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad