Speculation: Hanifin to Nashville

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CraigsList

RIP #13
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Don’t see it happening unless McDonagh is moved. I Can see why the Preds want him, a 26 year old that has 500 games already under his belt and is a solid #3.

Just need to flip McD or Barrie (and have McD or Josi play RD, likely McD).

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Looking at CapFriendly it seems that Nashville is overweighted at the RD position and under weighted at the LD position. I stand to be corrected.

Looking at hockey-reference advanced stats it seems that Nashville literally has some heavy hitters back there in Schenn, Lauzon, Carriere, and Fabbro. Or at least in terms of playing a more physical and hitting style of game.

The latter is what the Flames were missing last year. Physicality from the blue line after Gudbranson left.

So I could see the Flames trading Hanifin to the Preds for one of Lauzon, Carriere, or Fabbro plus a draft pick (dare to dream, their #1) and a prospect. Maybe even throw in a #1 centre (Jankowski, cough).

The benefits to Nashville is that they gain another young top NHL defenceman. Hanifin at age 26 is younger than Josi (33) and McDonaugh (34). This is succession planning at its best as they most likely could parlay, say, Josi into other assets in the short term before a big decline (if) sets in.

Nashville currently has the cap room to absorb Hanifin's salary.

Calgary adds depth to its right side and creates some cap room (depending on the player coming back) and gets some future assets that may or may not pan out in the NHL.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Looking at CapFriendly it seems that Nashville is overweighted at the RD position and under weighted at the LD position. I stand to be corrected.

Looking at hockey-reference advanced stats it seems that Nashville literally has some heavy hitters back there in Schenn, Lauzon, Carriere, and Fabbro. Or at least in terms of playing a more physical and hitting style of game.

The latter is what the Flames were missing last year. Physicality from the blue line after Gudbranson left.

So I could see the Flames trading Hanifin to the Preds for one of Lauzon, Carriere, or Fabbro plus a draft pick (dare to dream, their #1) and a prospect. Maybe even throw in a #1 centre (Jankowski, cough).

The benefits to Nashville is that they gain another young top NHL defenceman. Hanifin at age 26 is younger than Josi (33) and McDonaugh (34). This is succession planning at its best as they most likely could parlay, say, Josi into other assets in the short term before a big decline (if) sets in.

Nashville currently has the cap room to absorb Hanifin's salary.

Calgary adds depth to its right side and creates some cap room (depending on the player coming back) and gets some future assets that may or may not pan out in the NHL.
Fabbro and Carrier aren't hitters at all. On LD the Preds have Josi, McDonagh, and Lauzon, while Stastney showed very well also at the end of the season. There is no need for Hanifin whatsoever, it is just a case of Trotz getting greedy, if the Preds are truly even interested at all.

Meanwhile, there are 4 guys at RD in Fabbro, Carrier, Barrie, and Schenn.

There is no way the Preds will trade their 1st round pick. Unless maybe the season goes insanely well and they end up as serious contenders at the TDL. (Fat chance of that happening).

About the only way it works for the Preds is per the original proposal of a straight-up swap of Fabbro or Carrier, where at least Fabbro is a younger cost-controlled RFA, for the 1-year impending UFA Hanifin. And hopefully that won't work at all for Calgary and Trotz is therefore deterred.

Reactions: PREDy 4 the Cup

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Fabbro and Carrier aren't hitters at all. On LD the Preds have Josi, McDonagh, and Lauzon, while Stastney showed very well also at the end of the season. There is no need for Hanifin whatsoever, it is just a case of Trotz getting greedy, if the Preds are truly even interested at all.

Meanwhile, there are 4 guys at RD in Fabbro, Carrier, Barrie, and Schenn.

There is no way the Preds will trade their 1st round pick. Unless maybe the season goes insanely well and they end up as serious contenders at the TDL. (Fat chance of that happening).

About the only way it works for the Preds is per the original proposal of a straight-up swap of Fabbro or Carrier, where at least Fabbro is a younger cost-controlled RFA, for the 1-year impending UFA Hanifin. And hopefully that won't work at all for Calgary and Trotz is therefore deterred.
I'd argue that Lauzon sucks and shouldn't be an every day NHLer. McD might be a better fit as as bottom pairing guy now, and I seriously doubt he finishes his contract. Schenn wasn't a need but we'll see how he fits.

I think that Stastney and Livingstone should be both be on the roster.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I'd argue that Lauzon sucks and shouldn't be an every day NHLer. McD might be a better fit as as bottom pairing guy now, and I seriously doubt he finishes his contract. Schenn wasn't a need but we'll see how he fits.

Lauzon I think would be fine if he would simplify things and stop watching Josi highlight reels and trying to do that.

I could see it making sense if the plan is to move McD down and then free up a couple of spots for guys like Stastney and Livingstone by moving Barrie some time during the season.

Frankly though Carrier is the one I'd move. Still don't understand the love for him in the local media.

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014

If the idea is to backfill McDonagh after turfing him... that could make a lot more sense. Hanifin as the second pairing.

The Preds seemingly have the cap space to retain half and trade McDonagh in another deal if trading him at full cap doesn't seem possible. They seem to have about 7.5 AAV in cap space right now. But with their buyout numbers and with 2 guys with 2/3 more seasons of retention... I don't know if they want to lock things up like that...

But I'm also confused at who they'd potentially target. They have Saros so it's not the goalies rumored on the move. Centres? But do they want to rush and accidentally repeat Duchene, RyJo and Turris scenarios?

Lots of "doable, but why?" scenarios. Bleh.

I think Flames and Preds are in a similar boat unsure of which direction the team is going?

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Hard pass on Fabbro. I don't see why Calgary would be interested at all.

Nashville has some solid prospects. Calgary would be wanting them.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Sure he's a solid player just not what Calgary is looking for. Roll the dice on some prospects imo. Just downgrading on Hanifin is questionable.
The thinking would be that you downgrade for 1 year, but at least have a top4 D long term instead of losing a guy to UFA. Except I hope you would get a 1st+ in a trade deadline deal also… it is just a question of whether that fits your timeline better than Fabbro… I wouldn’t trade Fabbro For a late 1st from the Preds pov but a team entering a total rebuild might prefer the 1st, fair enough.

Reactions: Armourboy

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
The thinking would be that you downgrade for 1 year, but at least have a top4 D long term instead of losing a guy to UFA. Except I hope you would get a 1st+ in a trade deadline deal also… it is just a question of whether that fits your timeline better than Fabbro… I wouldn’t trade Fabbro For a late 1st from the Preds pov but a team entering a total rebuild might prefer the 1st, fair enough.

I'd expect a lot more than a 1st at the deadline too

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
If the idea is to backfill McDonagh after turfing him... that could make a lot more sense. Hanifin as the second pairing.

The Preds seemingly have the cap space to retain half and trade McDonagh in another deal if trading him at full cap doesn't seem possible. They seem to have about 7.5 AAV in cap space right now. But with their buyout numbers and with 2 guys with 2/3 more seasons of retention... I don't know if they want to lock things up like that...

But I'm also confused at who they'd potentially target. They have Saros so it's not the goalies rumored on the move. Centres? But do they want to rush and accidentally repeat Duchene, RyJo and Turris scenarios?

I think Flames and Preds are in a similar boat unsure of which direction the team is going?
We know what direction we are going, its just a direction that takes time, which is why you haven't seen us in many trades, and most of the guys we have been signing are Vet leadership types.. We have a list of young guys that need playing time and a chance to prove if they have it or not.

It's why I don't really think this Hanifin thing has legs at all.

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
Come on, Hanifin would easily be our second best D-man after Josi. It's not even close.

If it takes Fabbro + a little something, I'm all for it.

After Barrie inevitably gets traded:

Josi - Schenn
Hanifin - Livingstone
McDonagh - Carrier

That's a damn good defense.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017

I'm sure there is no thought of "turfing" McDonagh. He's part of the new leadership core and culture that Trotz is trying to establish.

And after a bit of a rocky start, mostly due to weird ideas Hynes had, I thought McDonagh settled down into being pretty solid most of the time. The Preds aren't looking to replace him, and certainly not with more retention.

The Preds are quite sure of the direction the team is going (aiming for anyway), and if they are looking at Hanifin at all, it is likely with that direction of becoming even more competitive in mind, as he's a player type Trotz seems to like. He would just be hoping to catch a team going in the opposite direction that might be selling off a player who doesn't want to play for that team, at a discount price given the current NHL Cap crunch. But the Flames don't need to offer any discounts now, they can wait until the TDL when there will be a better market.

Reactions: Figgy44

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Nashville really wants to be in purgatory don't they. Make a bunch of rebuild type moves and then make a bunch of win now moves.
And Calgary isn’t in purgatory? Nashville, Calgary and Vancouver are built to exist in purgatory in perpetuity. Always drafting somewhere between 10th - 17th overall. Never a contender. Never in rebuilding mode.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Never purposefully cratering to get a lottery pick either. Never having multiple lottery picks and still searching for the holy grail.

Kahvi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
And Calgary isn’t in purgatory? Nashville, Calgary and Vancouver are built to exist in purgatory in perpetuity. Always drafting somewhere between 10th - 17th overall. Never a contender. Never in rebuilding mode.

Are you so young that you don't remember the 2017 finals?

Reactions: triggrman

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
You mean never purposely losing? Always trying to compete?

Bennett, Monahan, Tkachuk weren't top 10 picks?

Flames won the division 2 seasons ago. You expect them to purposely lose like loser Oilers in hopes they get 4 first overall picks and a generational talent?

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Trotz is all about hard nosed offense. Hanifin isn't exactly rugged, Infact he's pretty soft. But plays a solid game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad