Confirmed with Link: Hamilton going to a red team (The F1 Thread)

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine
Ferrari with another massive stinker

Leclerc’s crash out is pretty suspect and Sainz’ strategy was so stupid
"Yes it was 100% driver error. He should have known this would happen again."

And calling for Sainz to pit while he's battling for position AND right at the pit entrance was just a massive brain fart. Which is what the verb "to ferrari" means, I believe.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Great race from Max. Even with a spin he comfortably won from 10th

Ferrari with an absolutely embarrassing performance. They keep screwing over Carlos on slow pit stops. Start both on mediums and don’t get the benefit of the extra life vs the softs. Go medium-medium-hard-soft on Leclerc and Leclerc doesn’t even pass Perez (!). Wow, feels like heads should roll by the end of the year after this streak. All of this on a track Ferrari was supposed to dominate and close the gap with a 1-2…

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Yep. Max showed why he's the best right now, but Ferrari went full Ferrari today. Not winning is hey, shit happens. But to not even podium on a track you were set to dominate is next level embarrassing.

Reactions: Bub

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Max was in a different league in todays qualifying

6 tenths off 2nd place with only one lap in Q3. Max and Leclerc driving through the pack from the back will be fun to watch

Reactions: Bub and DaveG

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Hamilton taking himself out reduced the excitement of the race a bit. It felt like you needed one other car up front screwing with the strategy of Red Bull. Another flawless race for them

Reactions: sheriff bart

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
oh dear

Ferrari pits Leclerc for fastest lap, gives up 5th place in the process, barely regains 5th place, doesn’t get fastest lap, and gets demoted to 6th place for speeding in pit lane

They just can’t stop f***ing over their drivers

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine
oh dear

Ferrari pits Leclerc for fastest lap, gives up 5th place in the process, barely regains 5th place, doesn’t get fastest lap, and gets demoted to 6th place for speeding in pit lane

They just can’t stop f***ing over their drivers

Death, taxes, and boneheaded Ferrari decisions are life's three sure things.

sheriff bart

Where are the white women at
Nov 11, 2010
Rock Ridge
I wish Alonzo could have held off Leclerc for that position to properly reward Ferrari for stepping on their dick once again. Geez these idiots have no clue. If you can't position your car in an open spot on the track after a stop, that is never going to work. Dropping to 7th after the speeding penalty would have been perfect

Reactions: Bub and DaveG

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
The Piastri situation is resolved, with the McLaren contract being found to be the only legally enforceable one, so he is announced with them as 2nd driver for 2023, and Alpine gets no compensation for it.

• Wow
Reactions: DaveG

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine
The Piastri situation is resolved, with the McLaren contract being found to be the only legally enforceable one, so he is announced with them as 2nd driver for 2023, and Alpine gets no compensation for it.

shocked.gif

• Wow
Reactions: zman77 and DaveG

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine
At this point, you almost feel like Ferrari are just trolling everyone, especially their drivers.

And...tinfoil hat time: Would Red Bull have caught Mercedes if Tsunoda (driving for Red Bull B Team, essentially) hadn't had his "issues" at that time? What an odd series of events, yes? Although, tbf, it did look like the front left tire man didn't finish his job, and maybe Tsunoda--who appears to be a bit of a dimwit--started to undo his belts early.

Never change, F1. Never change.

Reactions: Novacane

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
At this point, you almost feel like Ferrari are just trolling everyone, especially their drivers.

And...tinfoil hat time: Would Red Bull have caught Mercedes if Tsunoda (driving for Red Bull B Team, essentially) hadn't had his "issues" at that time? What an odd series of events, yes? Although, tbf, it did look like the front left tire man didn't finish his job, and maybe Tsunoda--who appears to be a bit of a dimwit--started to undo his belts early.

Never change, F1. Never change.
To answer your question, my homer opinion says Max would have passed both Russell and Hamilton had Tsunoda and Bottas not retired. Max would have had a ~20 lap tire advantage and had already put in a ~16 second advantage over ~45 laps. Considering how easily he passed Russell after his first stop, I think it was in the bag given the ~25 laps remaining. It’s unfortunate we wouldn’t see it play out though.

My pragmatic thinking is RB has a whole lot more to lose by pulling AT shenanigans at this point in the season with both championships on lockdown. Tossing Mercedes a few wins at this point is easily covered. But still quite embarrassing from AT, I’ll be interested to hear the explanation. I agree with Jenson’s explanation about the seat belt; that’s a big no-no now so I wonder what the penalty will be

Reactions: DaveG and Bub

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad