Halo: Infinite (Dec. 8th, 2021) - Xbox Series X

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Has there been a recent space/fantasy shooter with a narrative story that has been a massive success?

Valorant is essentially an FPS MOBA. There is no narrative driven single player campaign.
Overwatch same thing.
Fortnite same thing.

Doom Eternal(?) and it's what? 4-5 million copies at this point? And I doubt Xbox would be happy with numbers like that for something that's supposed to move console units.

It feels like the narrative driven space shooter isn't interesting for the audience anymore. For a narrative shooter people prefer Call of Duty which cycles between the recent past and a speculative near future... and not space suits, low gravity situations and alien races.
There’s definitely a vacancy there and if any series can fill it it would be Halo. Doubtful though. 343 went 0/3 with releasing a complete game at launch with a fun campaign.

If they can do that with the UE5 that would be amazing obviously. Would be even more amazing if they could do it without a battle pass and make the game rated “M” again. Make the games a little more serious and gory like CE was to capture the tone. Even Infinite which I didn’t completely hate was off a bit from being less adult.

I’ll believe it when I see it and at this rate we won’t be playing a new Halo game until 2030. Maybe they remake CE, that would be cool.

Ad

Ad

Ad