Dreger: Halak available from Vancouver

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Having to pay $1.25 million for Halak next year as well makes him dramatically less valuable.

The Canucks would get more for him if they waited until after his bonus was paid.

Reactions: mouser

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
He has played very well with no scoring support this year.

2nd + small add would be fair

That would be a home run.

Id be happy with a 3rd/4th especially if the Canucks come back down to earth and arent legitimately pushing for a playoff spot by February

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Having to pay $1.25 million for Halak next year as well makes him dramatically less valuable.

The Canucks would get more for him if they waited until after his bonus was paid.

Thats true. but maybe if you are the buyer you dont care so much about the 1.25 cap space because the cost would be way less.

Example:

Halak now: 5th/6th round pick
Halak after 10 games with Canucks: 3rd round pick

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Thats true. but maybe if you are the buyer you dont care so much about the 1.25 cap space because the cost would be way less.

Example:

Halak now: 5th/6th round pick
Halak after 10 games with Canucks: 3rd round pick

I can't imagine many contending teams would rather have a 3rd instead of a 5th and $1.25 million in cap space next year.

Reactions: mouser

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
I can't imagine many contending teams would rather have a 3rd instead of a 5th and $1.25 million in cap space next year.

Then yep, wait the 2 games.

Halak will definitely play on the 15th or 16th

Then the February olympic break re-make schedule will come out which im sure will be condensed and will have a back to back in there somewhere so the 2 games played should be done by early Feb.

If youre a team like Edmonton for example, can they wait that long until he plays 2 more games?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Is there something I am missing about $1.25M next year? Does his bonus go against cap next season?

As far as I know, you either need to add that performance bonus to this year or have it on next year's cap. So you'd either be getting Halak at $2.75 million for this year or $1.5 million for this year and $1.25 million next year, with Halak not being on the team next year.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
As far as I know, you either need to add that performance bonus to this year or have it on next year's cap. So you'd either be getting Halak at $2.75 million for this year or $1.5 million for this year and $1.25 million next year, with Halak not being on the team next year.
I see… well highly doubtful he gets traded before he plays 2 more games. So any trade (assuming) wouldn’t include the bonus portion.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Pretty cheap as in cost?

or Pretty cheap AAV?

His cost will depend on demand and I think there is alot of teams looking for high end backups because the schedule is about to get extremely congested.

His AAV is 1.5mil. extremely cheap

Cost to acquire. Unless (until?) the Avs have injury issues, we only really need a 3rd stringer, so I'd want the return to reflect that. Definitely don't want to get into a bidding war for a guy who I hope never plays.

M2Beezy

Love ya Grubster
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Get real. That 1st is only available for a legit starter
Everyone and their cousin knows Edmonton is desperate for a real goalie. Halak.

Chaisson back in Edmonton will absolutely help the Oilers PP and rekindle some chemistry he had with McDavid and others.

Edmonton gets rid of Koskinen with NO retention which realistically will be near impossible for them to do otherwise

No brainer deal for Edmonton if they are serious about trying to keep mcdrai happy in Edmonton well being as competitive as possible. I can see Rutherford nixing this deal tho cause who helps out a divisional rival

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Everyone and their cousin knows Edmonton is desperate for a real goalie. Halak.

Chaisson back in Edmonton will absolutely help the Oilers PP and rekindle some chemistry he had with McDavid and others.

Edmonton gets rid of Koskinen with NO retention which realistically will be near impossible for them to do otherwise

No brainer deal for Edmonton if they are serious about trying to keep mcdrai happy in Edmonton well being as competitive as possible. I can see Rutherford nixing this deal tho cause who helps out a divisional rival

Lmao if JR would nix this deal, he'd deserve to be instantly fired.

You're getting a freaking 1st and a prospect for a backup goalie and a scrub depth player. Edmonton would have to be on crack to say yes to that deal. The value of a Halak/Chiasson package is maybe that of a 3rd round pick. Maybe.

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
Never figured we'd be trading Halak for a decent return. Goes to show how valuable goalies are. :laugh:

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Why help the Oilers when the Canucks are just 3 points back of the Oilers for the last Wild Card spot right now?

If Halak is being traded, it's to the East.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
I can't see Vancouver trading with Edmonton when they are one team that they will certainly need to overtake to make the playoffs this year. There will be other suitors out there.

For Vancouver—I wonder what they are thinking for a backup if Halak leaves? The games that will need to be rescheduled will surely mean that there are more back-to-back games on the horizon than the 7 that are currently scheduled. Getting quality back-up starts will be critical if they want to make the playoffs.

I know that Spencer Martin has been giving Abbotsford quality starts in the AHL—but that is only 6 GP. His three 3 career NHL starts were back in 2017. Is that really who they would trust to give 7+ backup starts down the stretch?

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I’m not sure if they can pull it off.
But it is nice to hear this organization finally considering the cap in a long term mindset

Benning would have let him played those games, then traded him after 3 games for a player with more term and gave up picks becuase he liked him way back in 2014

Reactions: mriswith
Feb 19, 2018
I don’t see him going anywhere short of an overpayment at this point. 7+ back to backs is critical to the season and keeping Demko healthy/sharp. It will be a great return if it happens.

Reactions: notsocommonsense

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad