Post-Game Talk: Habs win in Philly by the skin of their teeth

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
The vets kinda crapped the bed in the final minutes and I think it's not the first time Matheson does that type of stupid icing.

Anyway, first two wins in a row of the season. Same record as the Leafs, Wings, Sabres and Bruins!
What is concerning is him not seeing two wide open players to his right.
I don't know if players are yelling at him when they are open but maybe they should be.

Suzuki could perhaps be more vocal when he's wide open because he often finds himself in acres of space.
His team mates don't get him the puck enough when he's in those situations.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
What are we doing with the cap space anyways right now? Honestly
?

Right now we don't have much. This past summer we added 8.7M Patrick Lane for Jordan Harris (getting a 2nd in the process, reflecting the difficulty CBJ had in finding a team with that kind of space to leverage).

What would/could we have done the past two offseasons with 12M$ in cap... A lot... And all of it better than the depth forward contributions we've been getting from the costly incumbents.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Happy to have Gally on the team. He brings something but that contract
I don't mind him, or Anderson, or Dvorak or Armia on their own either...

Collectively, they are one of the weakest over 25 veteran forward groups in the league, and at a 20M$ cap hit.

While roster additions are more complicated than just crunching numbers, consider how much better our roster is today if you swap them @ 20M for 2x 8M$ legit top 6 contributors and 2x 2M$ depth vets...

last summer, 20M freed up to spend could've been

Stamkos + Marchessault + Monahan + OS Holloway

Or
Lindholm + Montour + Bertuzzi

Etc. etc.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
I said it for a while now (even when Dach was looking good at center).... I think he is more of a power forward winger than a true type center.

Ideally, our roster looks like this next year:
I would definitely try Demidov at center with Laine/Dach on his wing.

Caufield / Suzuki / Slaf
Laine / Demidov / Dach
Roy / Kapanen / Newhook
Armia / Evans / Gallagher
Pezzetta,

What do we do with Anderson? Not sure. I think it's between him, Armia, and hate to say it... Newhook. Newhook is hard to place in our line-up and I don't think he wins too many puck battles. Is he putting up enough production?
Why the hell would you re-sign UFA Armia???

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
I don't mind him, or Anderson, or Dvorak or Armia on their own either...

Collectively, they are one of the weakest over 25 veteran forward groups in the league, and at a 20M$ cap hit.

While roster additions are more complicated than just crunching numbers, consider how much better our roster is today if you swap them @ 20M for 2x 8M$ legit top 6 contributors and 2x 2M$ depth vets...

last summer, 20M freed up to spend could've been

Stamkos + Marchessault + Monahan + OS Holloway

Or
Lindholm + Montour + Bertuzzi

Etc. etc.

Honestly I’m looking at what you’ve posted and I’m pretty glad we didn’t.

How many of those contracts look good to you?

HespelerGreenFlash

Dec 20, 2007
Few players are paid 6.5 millions. Most teams have maybe 5 players paid 6.5+ millionss. Avs have 5 MacKinnon, Rantanen, Landeskob, Makar and Toews. NYR has 5 Panarin, Zibanejad, Kreider, Fox and Trouba. Vegas has 5 Eichel, Stone, Hertl, Pietrangelo and Hanifin. Dallas got 5 Seguin, Benn, Hintz, Robertson and Heiskanen.

People act like half the league is paid 6.5 millions. Again it's not a problem for now but it will likely be a problem before the contract is over. KH needs to be ready and he needs to have a plan.
you may be right. But I was referring to most teams having contracts that are unfavorable regardless of price. Thanks

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
The Flyers are similar to the Habs, plenty of defensive deficiencies and they leave plenty of room out there for scoring chances. We played well till the last 5 minutes of the third period. Most of the team showed the wear of two games in two nights and seemed to fall apart.

The call on Xhekaj was the worst officiating I have ever seen, Hughes should call the league about that one, just brutal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad