Post-Game Talk: Habs win in Philly by the skin of their teeth

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Who would have thought we would have the same record as the Leafs after 9 games?

Edit : and the Bruins?

Edit 2 : and the Wings?

Edit 3 : and the Sabres?

Edit 4 : and just one point behind Tampa?

Just 24 hours and the narrative has changed completely. It's a good thing we didn't fire MSL, send both Monty and Primeau to waivers, trade away Dach, Newhook, Armia, Gallagher and Matheson, send down Hutson, Mailloux, Heineman and Kapanen and strip Suzuki of his C.
I think this is what guys are thinking, that we can be in the mix............the team is showing signs of progressing. That said we have had a couple ov sad performances, vs the Kings and rangers, so......

All of that said, we have key people out also, so reason to be happy kinda sorta....

Reactions: Lshap

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Finally caught up and watch 2nd and 3rd. Almost blew it but they didn't. Another curse broken - a win in back to back.

Caufield could have scored 3 at least, from what I remember. Mallioux had a decent game. Evans stands out. Nick is well endowed. And Primo let in less than 4 so I guess a good night overall. I mean it's Philly and they suck bad but Habs did what they needed to for most of the night and contained them pretty well. Pretty boring game overall but win's a win.

Still f*** that ref!

2 Xhekajs on the same line - I like that. Let them loose!!!!

In a back to back scenario, I really don't care how you win. It's difficult enough as it is, so I applaud the team for that.

Mailloux overall just looks overwhelmed at this level. His defensive zone awareness has always been a concern, but I think he's got so much more to learn besides that. Things are just moving too fast for him.

It's something you hope improves with time, but he still has a long way to go.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I stand by what I said. Armia is as vanilla as they come. If he's playing up the lineup, that's a huge problem and he won't be at all effective. I feel like Anderson in a properly cast role adds more value to the team, especially once Laine returns and Demidov makes it, so we'll never have to see Armia in the top 6.

Armia at least has some nifty hands that he will show off every now and then, so I don't qualify him as "vanilla"

Captain vanilla on this squad has to be dvorak by a country mile.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Xhekaj... ouch.
Some people considers him on a 4th line forward... I'm starting to think it may not be a bad idea.

I think x has the tools to be an asset on defense.

I think he looks like a guy struggling with his identity right now. I think the team is also trying to tweak his mindset, so he has to adapt to that. I mean, just look at rhe game against Philly where somehow he gets the only penalty. That has to play on the mind.

I'm hoping he finds his niche, because then he can just focus less on the mental stuff and focus more on being a hockey player. Then we will see the things again that made us excited about him in the first place.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I think this is what guys are thinking, that we can be in the mix............the team is showing signs of progressing. That said we have had a couple ov sad performances, vs the Kings and rangers, so......

All of that said, we have key people out also, so reason to be happy kinda sorta....
Yup, it's all about signs of progress. I missed most of the weekend games, but saw enough to breathe a little easier. Look at that... our guys CAN complete passes and CAN maintain o-zone possession. As long as that continues, the season will be fun to watch 'cause we'll have something to cheer for!

Be a Hab

Sep 17, 2010
In a back to back scenario, I really don't care how you win. It's difficult enough as it is, so I applaud the team for that.

Mailloux overall just looks overwhelmed at this level. His defensive zone awareness has always been a concern, but I think he's got so much more to learn besides that. Things are just moving too fast for him.

It's something you hope improves with time, but he still has a long way to go.

I disagree about Mailloux looking overwhelmed. He has played exactly 5 NHL games in his career.
He looks like a rookie D still getting adjusted to the NHL. I agree, that sometimes in his own zone, he looks a little lost but to be fair, that is half of our team. I mean, even ex-NHLer's have a hard time figuring out what MSL is trying to implement out there.

Mailloux in the offence zone looks pretty good. I'd like for management to give him a good run of games. I think he still has lots of room to grow. He spent a whole year in the AHL and did amazing. It's time to give him his chance in the NHL with a little bit of rope to learn and grow.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Thoughts after a night sleep.

It showed that the Flyers aren't very good. I expect them to be in the bottom 3 this season.

Habs executed much better in this game then against the Blues. Also, almost played a full 60 minutes in the back of back-to-back, someone must have spiked their pre-game meal.

2nd game in a row where they start with energy at puck drop. Lets this continue.:thumbu:

The 3rd was just a weird period. The Habs pulled a defensive clinic for about 13 minutes, but never bothered to counter attack, let the Flyers gain momentum and eventually things started to go off rails as the players got more tired. And they just stopped playing with 2-3 minutes left on the clock...

I don't think MSL coached the 3rd to win either. Looked like "lets use this to get some development opportunity" to me.

Dach is looking way more like he did 2 years ago already. :cool:
I can't wait for Slaf, Guhle and Barron to be back...

Goalfield13

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
I know people don't like to hear this, but I think Dach is best playing 1RW with Cole and Nick. He compliments them very well. Dach is a good winger.

I think Slaf should be put on the 2nd line waiting for Demidov to come join him. Newhook can keep the 2C seat warm for Kapanen/Hage in the meantime..

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I know people don't like to hear this, but I think Dach is best playing 1RW with Cole and Nick. He compliments them very well. Dach is a good winger.

I think Slaf should be put on the 2nd line waiting for Demidov to come join him. Newhook can keep the 2C seat warm for Kapanen/Hage in the meantime..
I would leave him there for a while perhaps until he has regained full strength in that knee which should come towards the end of this season.
There is no reason to move him if that line is producing and he is having fun.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
We finally won a couple games and looked like we deserved to win them!

I've given it to Dach hard lately but he was really good this weekend. He either may need to switch to wing full time or needs to be there now while he continues to get back into game shape. Slow progression.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I said it for a while now (even when Dach was looking good at center).... I think he is more of a power forward winger than a true type center.

Ideally, our roster looks like this next year:
I would definitely try Demidov at center with Laine/Dach on his wing.

Caufield / Suzuki / Slaf
Laine / Demidov / Dach
Roy / Kapanen / Newhook
Armia / Evans / Gallagher
Pezzetta,

What do we do with Anderson? Not sure. I think it's between him, Armia, and hate to say it... Newhook. Newhook is hard to place in our line-up and I don't think he wins too many puck battles. Is he putting up enough production?

Reactions: Goalfield13

Goalfield13

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
I said it for a while now (even when Dach was looking good at center).... I think he is more of a power forward winger than a true type center.

Ideally, our roster looks like this next year:
I would definitely try Demidov at center with Laine/Dach on his wing.

Caufield / Suzuki / Slaf
Laine / Demidov / Dach
Roy / Kapanen / Newhook
Armia / Evans / Gallagher
Pezzetta,

What do we do with Anderson? Not sure. I think it's between him, Armia, and hate to say it... Newhook. Newhook is hard to place in our line-up and I don't think he wins too many puck battles. Is he putting up enough production?
Is Demidov playing C in the KHL right now? I have seen a lot of people talking about him as a potential C. Would be amazing.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Is Demidov playing C in the KHL right now? I have seen a lot of people talking about him as a potential C. Would be amazing.

I don't believe he is but he is on record saying he prefers to play center because he is more engaged with the puck on his stick more. Maybe it's too premature to try him at center next year but if he is paired with Dach on the same line, it probably works.

Regardless of where Demidov plays for us next year, he's going to go through an adjustment

Goalfield13

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
I don't believe he is but he is on record saying he prefers to play center because he is more engaged with the puck on his stick more. Maybe it's too premature to try him at center next year but if he is paired with Dach on the same line, it probably works.

Regardless of where Demidov plays for us next year, he's going to go through an adjustment
I would start him at wing at the NHL level or C in the AHL if that is the case. We would be throwing him to the wolves otherwise Still, pretty interesting.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
He's not. And those people are basically saying that the Habs should put Slaf at center when he comes back so Dach can stay on the wing because Slaf can carry the puck, has good vision and backcheck. :rolleyes:

Playmaking wingers are a thing and the Habs are playing 2-1-2 with no dedicated position anyway.

Goalfield13

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
He's not. And those people are basically saying that the Habs should put Slaf at center when he comes back so Dach can stay on the wing because Slaf can carry the puck, has good vision and backcheck. :rolleyes:

Playmaking wingers are a thing and the Habs are playing 2-1-2 with no dedicated position anyway.
Slaf at C is a bad idea. Newhook can do a good job at 2C. He seems pretty comfortable in that spot.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I agree completely. Also, I feel he is just a really good winger.
He is a really good winger. I wasn't particularly pleased when we had to move him off this line the first time.
People look at his size and auto-salivate seeing a beast down the middle but he needs to play with talent at the same time.
If playing the wing is the key to keeping him healthy this year we have to seriously consider it.

Goalfield13

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
He is a really good winger. I wasn't particularly pleased when we had to move him off this line the first time.
People look at his size and auto-salivate seeing a beast down the middle but he needs to play with talent at the same time.
If playing the wing is the key to keeping him healthy this year we have to seriously consider it.
I think it was a good thing to have him play C for a while so he himself can see how good he is at wing, and the opportunity that comes with it.

A lot of players prefer to play C so they can to up their value. Domi is an example.

IMO, if playing wing means I get to play with our best players on the top line, I would rather play there than be expected to anchor a 2nd line and shoulder the offence while playing such a hard position.

I just hope that if we keep him at wing, that he will be happy with it. He legit looks like he is having fun playing with Cole and Nick, but at the end of the day, he is thinking about his value, and his agent will be in his ear.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

Has Slafkovsky ever played center at a high level? It’s a very hard position to convert too. It’s different if you have guys like a Giroux or a Dubois who were drafted as both a center and winger.

Goalfield13

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
Has Slafkovsky ever played center at a high level? It’s a very hard position to convert too. It’s different if you have guys like a Giroux or a Dubois who were drafted as both a center and winger.
Slaf can play both wing positions, and that should be enough lol. People see size and they want to convert them to C all the damn time.

Reactions: nhlfan9191

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad