Pre-Game Talk: Habs vs Kings

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I read somewhere that the Kings stopped playing a 1-3-1. Habs had no answer for a big team playing that style. Should be interesting. LA has very weak goaltending and are missing Doughty.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Campbell on the radio overseeing Habs practice says Heineman - Kapanen - Struble is unstoppable in 3 on 3 lol
Interesting

I'd prefer to have Evans with them 5 on 5 over Dvorak personally

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Our players aren't shit but our D is really, really green.
This is year 3 of MSL and company and we should be seeing progression defensively and so far, I am not seeing anything different than the last two years. We are seeing players trapped for as much as 2 minutes without a change. Too much running around for my liking, chaos if you will.

Reactions: Paddyjack

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
It's pretty bad because the Habs defense has been very crap at stopping players from gettting in front of the net against Pits and Boston. doing anything they want in the zone.
Fixed that for you. So far, I don't think I have seen a Habs team in 40 years being that bad defensively in their zone. It's ridiculous, and I'm pretty sure it's down to coaching. I would go as far as saying I never saw a TEAM in the NHL being as bad as this.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
This is year 3 of MSL and company and we should be seeing progression defensively and so far, I am not seeing anything different than the last two years. We are seeing players trapped for as much as 2 minutes without a change. Too much running around for my liking, chaos if you will.
Hutson, Xejac, Struble, Barron... these guys are all super green. Matheson has never been good defensively and never will be. We've got Guhle and Savard, that's pretty much it. And Mailloux will probably be joining at some point this year as well.

Unless we get a vet on the right side (something that might not be a bad idea) I don't see us being good in our own end anytime soon.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
Kings are a big nasty team, throwback to the Melrose era, I expect a physical game... our end of the ice could be a crime scene :(

They have gotten the cringey Danault tribute video out of the way already right?

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Move Guhle back to his natural side so he has an easier time of defending and moving the puck out and pair him with Hutson who’s pretty much a rover anyways. Matheson back with Savard - need to pump Squirrely Dan’s value which isn’t going to happen next to Lane

Reactions: Habs

Theodore450

Sep 10, 2013
I don't know if its that they don't know what to do without the puck or that they don't know how to coach what to do without the puck. It feels like their system calls for a lot of active thought by players and a lot of back passing, and all its really doing is slowing the team down and giving opponents the initiative.

Most top teams play at a frenetic pace and Montreal can't and/or wont do that.
I don't know if its that they don't know what to do without the puck or that they don't know how to coach what to do without the puck. It feels like their system calls for a lot of active thought by players and a lot of back passing, and all its really doing is slowing the team down and giving opponents the initiative.

Most top teams play at a frenetic pace and Montreal can't and/or wont do that.
I miss when we were a fast team.
You’re spot on with giving the opponent the initiative

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Hutson, Xejac, Struble, Barron... these guys are all super green. Matheson has never been good defensively and never will be. We've got Guhle and Savard, that's pretty much it. And Mailloux will probably be joining at some point this year as well.

Unless we get a vet on the right side (something that might not be a bad idea) I don't see us being good in our own end anytime soon.
Defense is a team effort and isn't just expected of blueliners. We have plenty of vets up front who should help our defense, but it isn't happening. If we are going to chalk it up to being green then we can expect the rebuild to go on for 2-3 more years.

Reactions: Rapala

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Move Guhle back to his natural side so he has an easier time of defending and moving the puck out and pair him with Hutson who’s pretty much a rover anyways. Matheson back with Savard - need to pump Squirrely Dan’s value which isn’t going to happen next to Lane
Trading Matheson makes sense on a lot of levels right now. It allows Guhle to go back to his normal side. We could get a vet RD. Hutson takes over PP1...

I like Matheson but he's not really a fit in our long term plans.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Defense is a team effort and isn't just expected of blueliners. We have plenty of vets up front who should help our defense, but it isn't happening. If we are going to chalk it up to being green then we can expect the rebuild to go on for 2-3 more years.
I figured we'd be bad defensively and improve offensively. So far that's what we've seen.

I get what you're saying but this is a work in progress. I'm not concerned about this. I think we're an 85 point team this year.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I read somewhere that the Kings stopped playing a 1-3-1. Habs had no answer for a big team playing that style. Should be interesting. LA has very weak goaltending and are missing Doughty.
They tried the flying V that had some success breaking down the 1-3-1. Four guys dropping back on puck retrieval attacking in unison...
I laughed like hell when they first did it because I kept thinking why aren't they doing something similar with our PP to help the pathetic zone entry.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Trading Matheson makes sense on a lot of levels right now. It allows Guhle to go back to his normal side. We could get a vet RD. Hutson takes over PP1...

I like Matheson but he's not really a fit in our long term plans.
100% in favor of dealing him at his peak, expect he will crash and burn like Petry did

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I miss when we were a fast team.
You’re spot on with giving the opponent the initiative

Montreal is a fast team, or can be. They just get bogged down in the defensive zone for too long, which means they're usually gassed by the time they actually get the puck out.

Personnel is an issue (lack of two way forwards and young, inexperienced teams deal with this constantly), but we're seeing D like Harris and Kovacevic being more effective on other teams and deteriorating play on D in Montreal (Matheson). That, plus the immediate statistical decline in Montreal's D play from Julien to Ducharme and greater decline from Ducharme to MSL suggests that coaching is at least partially to blame.

Reactions: Theodore450

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
There will be some very ugly games as the team goes from it doesn't really matter to now it does.
We are truly a weak team when under duress and until we can rectify that we'll continue to see those long pathetic shifts in our own end.
I'm amazed at how bad our link up play is and at how often just clearing the zone becomes a good play under the circumstances.
We have to be one of the very worst teams 1v1 in the entire league and it's one of the main reasons Man V Man made no sense whatsoever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad