Post-Game Talk: Preds vs Kraken 10/15/24 7pm "Third Time is a Charm" edition

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Goaltending has been brutal to start the season. Offensively I don’t think we’ve been terrible and we’re generating chances pretty consistently just not converting. Defense has also been pretty rough but that’s exacerbated from not getting bailed out by the goalie at all. Schenn and Lauzon both aren’t great but we also have no one else anywhere in the system that is close to NHL ready and brings some physicality so I don’t know what else we do there. Maybe Zadorov had no interest but in hindsight seems like we should have thrown money at him instead of Skjei. I was skeptical of the Skjei signing at the time but I agree with others he looks like a middle pairing guy not the high end guy for the contract we got.

On the bright side we’ve got Draisaitl and McDavid next game which always goes well for us. I still think this team will get it together but hopefully we don’t dig ourselves too big of a hole here early on in the season.

Last edited:

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Whatever Brunette wanted that 4th line to do, yeah that ain't going to work. They were pretty much awful all night.

I still think alot of our defensive woes are on the coaching staff. Just about every single guy is playing the same way, always attacking, and when you get an entire group of guys doing the exact same thing that's coming from the coach.

This almost feels like Brunette thinks he has a team full of 20 year olds and he just wants them to go. This is an old team, we need to be playing smart.

Reactions: glenngineer

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Was at the game last night so no posting, but holy shit the transition defense is just awful. The offensive transition game seems to be about as bad. Are we a cycle team or a transition team? I am not sure we have an answer at this point because nothing seems to be working at the moment. I thought that was our worst offensive showing of the three games by far. I don't think try hard and grit more is the answer. I preferred the lines to start the season and would like to give those lines more time. I thought we were generating more possession and high danger scoring chances. Last night just felt discombobulated from the drop.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Whatever Brunette wanted that 4th line to do, yeah that ain't going to work. They were pretty much awful all night.

I still think alot of our defensive woes are on the coaching staff. Just about every single guy is playing the same way, always attacking, and when you get an entire group of guys doing the exact same thing that's coming from the coach.

This almost feels like Brunette thinks he has a team full of 20 year olds and he just wants them to go. This is an old team, we need to be playing smart.
I think that's just Brunette's system to rapidly attack. When it works it looks great (see the big point streak last season) but it can be real ugly if you're turning the puck over like we have been. You also need your goalie to bail you out on some of your mistakes and we haven't gotten that at all this season.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
One thing I enjoyed last night was watching Seattle play as they are a well-coached team. Crisp tape to tape passes. Skating with purpose up ice. Winning puck battles by beating us to the puck. That team was ready to play last night.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
I'm very worried about Schenn and Lauzon not being the right D men for the system Brunette wants to run.

I'm also very concerned about Us keeping Saros for that price point with his play so far. Isn't making big saves at big times. His defense is leaving him out to dry but an elite netminder needs to be elite some nights. I think he is still nursing things.

I worry that we are going to get our bell ring against an angry Oilers team with speed because our current team doesn't have aby speed and can't defend off the rush.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Are we still ‘looking good’?

Are we still ‘just not lucky’?

Maybe we do just need some more time and practice for the new old parts we added to gel.

Maybe we do need Korn more time with the goalies.

But man does this look like the same product as past years.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I think that's just Brunette's system to rapidly attack. When it works it looks great (see the big point streak last season) but it can be real ugly if you're turning the puck over like we have been. You also need your goalie to bail you out on some of your mistakes and we haven't gotten that at all this season.
See I don't think that's what we were seeing during the streak. We had guys that were attacking when it was appropriate, you had guys like Lauzon playing defense and pushing when it made sense. Right now we are seeing guys push when it is the wrong time across the board, that goes for forwards and dmen.

originalpredfan

Oct 27, 2013
Honestly, no one should be surprised by Saros early season performance. He has alway been a slow starter and questionable playoff goalie his entire career. Perhaps he'll come on strong but who knows. I assume Trotz feels he will. Still not sure why the contract offer couldn't have waited till he proved himself this year.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
The Wild's goalie has scored more than some of the Preds forwards.

I did not see the game, but blending lines in Game 3 seems like a bad idea!

The good news is that Tolvy did not score.

What is the Preds all time record against the Kracklin?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad