GDT: Preds vs Kraken 10/15/24 7pm "Third Time is a Charm" edition

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Every line and player seems to be doing the same thing, trying to make too many passes rather than just put the puck on net and either score or get a rebound. This is so linear it almost feels like something they are being coached to do.

Same with the defensemen. It almost feels like every single Dman is doing the same thing, constantly attacking and its leaving us extremely vulnerable going the other way.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
He's made it difficult for himself right off the bat by starting the line blender after two games and honestly in my opinion **** defensive pairings.
Honestly... i was really hoping he would split up the 3 - 40G scorers we now have to help build some good depth. Instead we have stacked up in the top 6.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
He's made it difficult for himself right off the bat by starting the line blender after two games and honestly in my opinion **** defensive pairings.
He doesn't have a ton to work with. I think we only legitimately have one top pairing d-man and probably 4 of our guys would be best as bottom pairing or 6/7s. And playing an attacking, pressing, uptempo style just exacerbates it.

Forgot there was a game tonight. Now I'm glad.
So did the Preds.

Sorry Mase and Willy, I don't want to hear excuses for our 8 million dollar goalie. When you get that contract you are expected to bail your team out more than Saros has tonight. 6 goals is 6 goals any way you want to look at it.
When you get that contract AND your team cuts loose the only thing resembling a long-term replacement.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
He doesn't have a ton to work with. I think we only legitimately have one top pairing d-man and probably 4 of our guys would be best as bottom pairing or 6/7s. And playing an attacking, pressing, uptempo style just exacerbates it.

So did the Preds.
Josi is definitely the only first pairing guy, Skjei is more like a #4 from what I've seen. Carrier and Lauzon are bottom pairing guys, Fabbro is probably a #4, and Schenn should be a #7 and that might be being nice tbh.

braindead

Jul 14, 2005
The cookie spoke
Time to schedule and cancel a Sphere visit. Probably won’t cost anything if Trotz cancels within 24 hours.

Anyway, need 10 games to start to settle in. Hopefully we can limp along with a few W’s

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Josi is definitely the only first pairing guy, Skjei is more like a #4 from what I've seen. Carrier and Lauzon are bottom pairing guys, Fabbro is probably a #4, and Schenn should be a #7 and that might be being nice tbh.
I waffled on Fabbro, but deferred to him getting scratched a bunch as evidence of something I can't see, for some reason.

Mass

Feb 18, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Okay, so it sounds the coach should be doing a little more coaching on the defensive side and not have guys like Lauzon brainlessly pinching with minimal upside. Both the play in the D-zone and the odd-man rushes were out of control tonight, as some point maybe that aggressiveness should be dialed back for the time being? I certainly agree, I do not like 50% of the defensemen we have (Carrier, Lauzon, Schenn) and Skjei has not started off particularly great. That's on the coach to adjust, which is my gripe with him so far. Mainly this game I guess, don't hate the way we played the first two games.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Bruno's system risks odd man rushes against. They bit last season and are killers so far thru three games. When not to pinch is something the defenders need to remember. The "system" fits Josi and to a degree Skjei. Lauzon routinely makes the wrong decision.

Gus is nearly invisible so far. It wouldn't surprise me to see Marchessault move up. The team needs a line to start asserting itself and right now Fil and March are the two big salary wingers who are visible and generating chances. That leaves Stammer - Novak - Vange ... Tomasino - xxx - Gus ... Smith - McCarron - xxx. Pärssinen did not have a good game so those xxx's get filled by Jankowski and Sissons.

Defense requires a call up or cattle prod.

Reactions: SouthNash

nullednumbed

Jun 27, 2022
Trading Askarov and paying up for Saros will be a massive blunder. I said it going back to the draft in Nashville when the rumor was Trotz was dangling Askarov then. Saros is undersized and aging.
And now has that anchor of a contract that ties him here for MANY years to come.

Also, not addressing the center position in the offseason will continue to haunt this team.

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
Lauzon was playing more within himself much of last year. I still didn't love his game but it was tolerable. He needs to just accept his limitations.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
My two cents on tonight:
  • Stamkos appears to have gone to the James Neal school of "Stand around waiting for a one-timer". If he isn't scoring he's invisible...and he isn't scoring. Looks like a terrible contract so far.
  • Positives: Love Marchessault. Jankowski might have had the best game I've seen from him. Thought Vange had some good looks as well.
  • Negatives: Lauzon and Schenn continue to not be NHL caliber defensemen. Too many wide open chances from our D. Saros looks pedestrian while being paid to look elite.
  • We're close to the oldest team in the league and we look it. Just no speed as a team.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad