Proposal: Habs taking your garbages

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
I want to weaponize the cap space we have right now. Needless to say, we are tanking, so we need assets (picks) for the next draft. Players older than 23 are useless for us.

It's about taking players that you don't want anymore.
The only thing that matter is that they must be on the final year of their contract.
Your return will be "future considerations". Nothing more.
It's a "garbage men" type of service, where contender teams will be able to unload one or two bad contracts, pay us to do it, and wants to acquire better player(s) for a cup run.

We have assets to trade too, if needed (Toffoli, Petry, Edmunson, etc)

So, who's interested? 8)

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Habs fans playing with the Garbage during tank/draft lottery years...

giphy.gif

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
I want to weaponize the cap space we have right now. Needless to say, we are tanking, so we need assets (picks) for the next draft. Players older than 23 are useless for us.

The only thing that matter is that they must be on the final year of their contract.
It's a "garbage men" type of service, where contender teams will be able to unload one or two bad contracts, pay us to do it, and wants to acquire better player(s) for a cup run.

So, who's interested? 8)
I can see the interest in weaponizing cap space, but the Habs are $14 million over the cap using LTIR to compile a roster. I don't see how this type of deal really works for the Habs. This also seems like the type of deals teams make in the off season. Maybe they can act as the 3rd team in a transaction that eats some cap for a pick, but there is no cap space for the Habs to do that.

Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are wanting to do. Can you provide an example of a deal that fits your ask?

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
The Canadiens are just about 14mil over the cap, but are using LTIR so the Habs have space according to (CF $7,190,477 LTIR) and Weber isn’t playing this season if ever again, so that space can be used to acquire a player or two, Byron will eventually come off LTIR so he needs to be accounted for when he returns to the active roster.

The Canadiens have 11 draft picks in the 2022 draft thus far so maybe they could acquire 2023 picks or prospects.

I don’t know if any teams would give away draft capital for soon to be UFA’s with 4 months left in the season, usually those type of moves are made in the offseason.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
I can see the interest in weaponizing cap space, but the Habs are $14 million over the cap using LTIR to compile a roster. I don't see how this type of deal really works for the Habs. This also seems like the type of deals teams make in the off season. Maybe they can act as the 3rd team in a transaction that eats some cap for a pick, but there is no cap space for the Habs to do that.

Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are wanting to do. Can you provide an example of a deal that fits your ask?

We aren't really 14M over the cap when you consider that we have 35 guys on the roster between the active roster, IR, LTIR, Covid, and player assistance. Once everyone comes back players will be sent down and we will be compliant. We also should start trading vets once they are available to be traded, so we would be using that space.

So RIGHT NOW we can't do any deals, but Gorton is probably already working the phones for when the space opens back up.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
I heard or read a few articles about how the habs could benefit by getting rid of Weber's LTIR contract. Wouldn't the habs have to give assets to get rid of it?
One of the articles specified that the team in question would use the contract to reach the cap floor, but my understanding was that LTIR allowed the team to exceed the cap to meet it (as opposed to removing the hit from the cap). Does this mean that the team getting the contract to meet the floor would also have a cushion equal to the salary of the player (Weber here) if they ever went over the cap?

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
I remember when Burkie pretty much did a town cryer that the Leafs were open to take bad caps for picks. Got some late picks out of some creative maneouvers and got Gardner for taking on Lupul, who was broken at the time. Seemed like a heist, Lupul healed enough to play a bit, signed a contract, then broke again. Leafs were in a much worse situation than the habs are currently. Become a bit more common place now.

The Canadiens have 11 draft picks in the 2022 draft thus far so maybe they could acquire 2023 picks or prospects.

Wow. Good for you guys. I think this years scouting will be all buggered up due to covid, might find some gems

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Wow. Good for you guys. I think this years scouting will be all buggered up due to covid, might find some gems

Habs 45 picks since the 17 draft is ranked 3rd in the NHL. Wings were first with 52 picks and Canes are 2nd with 47. And we got 11 more picks in this draft like the other poster said. So yeah, we can take on 23 and 24 draft picks. I personally do value the diversity spread over a few drafts.

10 picks in one draft are rare.

You're not wrong about the scouting during Covid derail years. It's more difficult to evaluate

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

So, who's interested? 8)
Problem is are we tanking? Gorton hasn't come forward with that news like he did with Rangers. I have a hunch Molson wants Habs to compete next year.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I heard or read a few articles about how the habs could benefit by getting rid of Weber's LTIR contract. Wouldn't the habs have to give assets to get rid of it?
One of the articles specified that the team in question would use the contract to reach the cap floor, but my understanding was that LTIR allowed the team to exceed the cap to meet it (as opposed to removing the hit from the cap). Does this mean that the team getting the contract to meet the floor would also have a cushion equal to the salary of the player (Weber here) if they ever went over the cap?
Arizona may go for that.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
The Canadiens are just about 14mil over the cap, but are using LTIR so the Habs have space according to (CF $7,190,477 LTIR) and Weber isn’t playing this season if ever again, so that space can be used to acquire a player or two, Byron will eventually come off LTIR so he needs to be accounted for when he returns to the active roster.

I don’t know if any teams would give away draft capital for soon to be UFA’s with 4 months left in the season, usually those type of moves are made in the offseason.
Price's 10.5 million doesn't count also

Reactions: Maurice of Orange

HabsForHire

"Expect the unexpected"
Sep 21, 2011
CT
Problem is are we tanking? Gorton hasn't come forward with that news like he did with Rangers. I have a hunch Molson wants Habs to compete next year.
Your hunch is 100% wrong, that ain't happening, he's not going to sell everyone right away, but we will be a lotto team next year too wether some fans want that or not

Reactions: puckeater and BLNY

jeg

Jun 16, 2015
Would this be they type your after

Koskinen, Barrie and Turris, Lavoie 1st (10.65)
for
Allen, Edmunson, 4th

BozoTheClown

Jul 10, 2021
Molson will hear from the fans. I for one will not be quiet on social media and will be calling him.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
We aren't really 14M over the cap when you consider that we have 35 guys on the roster between the active roster, IR, LTIR, Covid, and player assistance. Once everyone comes back players will be sent down and we will be compliant. We also should start trading vets once they are available to be traded, so we would be using that space.

So RIGHT NOW we can't do any deals, but Gorton is probably already working the phones for when the space opens back up.
I agree with you. The Habs should be sellers this trade deadline. If they can get assets and move out players that don't really fit the competitive core. Even without the 35 man roster the Habs have been hovering at the top of the cap limit all season. So the point still stands that cap space is an issue, if contracts are moved out there's potential for a cap only deal - but until a Toffoli or Chiarot are moved they aren't really in any position to weaponize cap space.

AmeriHab

Aug 3, 2012
NY
We’re limited on capspace. Chiarot is good as gone, rumors spicing up on Gally if he doesn’t wanna be part of a rebuild. Price will be a challenge to move. Tiffoli is gone this year, Hoffman next.

all our pieces trading away will need to be for equal bad contracts but with a pick attached for our decent players

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

Weber with ~$9m in salary remaining now. Have yet to see a confirmation that insurance is paying that, if so that would leave the acquiring team on the hook for $3.6m in cash. So if I'm Arizona, to take on Weber's contract my ask would be approximately:

a) If not insured, Montreal 2023 1st and 3rd plus 2022 2nd.

b) If Insured, Montreal 2022 2nd and 2023 2nd.

Note: acquiring Weber doesn't increase the acquiring team's free cap space.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Your hunch is 100% wrong, that ain't happening, he's not going to sell everyone right away, but we will be a lotto team next year too wether some fans want that or not
Totally agree. Some call it tanking but i call it tearing it all down and starting over with the few players we have.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad