Confirmed with Link: Habs sign 3-year regional tv-deal with Rogers

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

99GoHabsGo99

MontrealCanadiens200
Sponsor
Oct 6, 2009
Charlottetown,PE
www.youtube.com
As someone without Cable what is my best option here? I really don't wanna watch CPU Streams...

I've tried Hockeystreams it is very laggy so I always had to put it on lowest settings which made it just as bad as any free stream..

Last year all throughout the playoffs I was using my Xbox watching the games through CBC App, It worked great.. The plan this year was buy GCL and stream all games through my Xbox.. Streams suck on my CPU but through the Xbox GCL looks good and works good..

From what I understand I would be getting 40 games if I bought GCL and the rest would be blacked out.. If that is the case GCL is a waste of money... This sucks :laugh: ..

Really wish there was no such things as blackouts.. Thanks for keeping your promise of No Blackouts Rogers!

So yeah.. What should I do? What is my best option here? Thanks for the help

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I guess we're stuck with region rights in the digital age. No surprise. Dinosaurs move slow.

I'd say the NFL is the most progressive sports league in North America and they zealously protect team's regional rights.

This is because it isn't in one team's best interests to have an out of market team shown on local TV often. This isn't how you grow the fan-base exactly by letting them watch (and, who knows, maybe grow to like even?) another team in own backyard.

Blackouts will never go away. At least not in our lifetime.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Thanks for the summary.

That's a boatload of channels to have to subscribe to. What's the yearly subscription costs for all those, I wonder?

In Quebec, it should add up to a total of $4.50 per month (3 channels SNET EAST/ONE/360 at $1.50 per channel). I think my pricing is correct for Videotron, but not entirely certain. City & CBC are, of course, free and available OTA.

Raider917

Feb 4, 2004
Nova Scotia
Canadiens on Sportsnet

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=729382

Sportsnet’s regional television broadcast schedule begins on Monday, Oct. 13 at 7:30 p.m. ET on City Montreal as the Habs visit Steven Stamkos and the Lightning in Tampa Bay.

Sportsnet East will be home to 39 regional Habs games, with three additional regional games airing on City Montreal.

does anyone know if there will still be blackouts this year?

Davebo*

In Quebec, it should add up to a total of $4.50 per month (3 channels SNET EAST/ONE/360 at $1.50 per channel). I think my pricing is correct for Videotron, but not entirely certain. City & CBC are, of course, free and available OTA.

I assume OTA means Over the Air.

Not everyone lives in a population dense area. I'm pretty sure City isn't broadcast OTA anywhere in the Maritimes. If it is, I stand corrected.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I assume OTA means Over the Air.

Not everyone lives in a population dense area. I'm pretty sure City isn't broadcast OTA anywhere in the Maritimes. If it is, I stand corrected.

Yes, I realize OTA doesn't mean "everyone with a coat hanger rejoice". I just pointed out it's available as such, that's all.

Those channels are still "free" though as in they're a part of your basic cable package.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Perhaps this can also be added to the OP to clarify the Habs region:

Regional games are only available in the Canadiens’ region which includes all of Quebec and Atlantic Canada, and Ontario east of Belleville and Pembroke (it’s the same region as that is covered by Sportsnet East).

Thank you kindly.

CH25

Self-proclaimed Habs connoisseur
Apr 12, 2010
Montreal
English/French doesn't matter for me. I will pick whoever has the best quality analysts/commentators.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
While this deal still sucks for western Canada, it is a bit better than it was yesterday.

With this deal, the habs will now have 40 games available nationally rather than 32.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
While this deal still sucks for western Canada, it is a bit better than it was yesterday.

With this deal, the habs will now have 40 games available nationally rather than 32.

I remember us discussing the Rogers regional rights rumor in the other thread and me tossing out number "10" out as the total amount of games we might see added to the Habs national package.

Came close. ;)

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
So I live in Saint John, NB, will any of the regional games be blacked out for me? I'm sorry if this has already been answered, but I need to get my ducks in a row and make sure I have all the required channels.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
So I live in Saint John, NB, will any of the regional games be blacked out for me? I'm sorry if this has already been answered, but I need to get my ducks in a row and make sure I have all the required channels.

"Regional games are only available in the Canadiens’ region which includes all of Quebec and Atlantic Canada, and Ontario east of Belleville and Pembroke (it’s the same region that is covered by Sportsnet East)."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad